Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The BTR-82 has the upgraded stabilized night vision sight but no IR, I believe. 14.5mm machine gun rather than the autocannon on the 82A.

e: The manual says it has the TKN-4GA sight, which I think means thermal combined sight in Russian...

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The road that cuts from NW to SE has tons of open LOS the whole length of the map after it straightens out. Same for the stuff to the East of that road in the open fields. There is minimal terrain relief and even where there is, Blufor has some overwatch heights that might be able to reach fairly fast. There are ways for vehicles to move throughout the cuts in the woods on both the East and West side of the map, but they constrict to narrow chokepoints at swampy areas in a few spots. In particular, a quick glance shows an early crossing of the swamp near our deployment but after that we can move throughout the cuts through the woods in the Western side of the map. There is also a lot of terrain relief that way.

Basic first impression from a rushed look: Blufor has better initial overwatch positions of the Eastern and center of the map that they can reach fairly fast. We have places to maneuver on both flanks but more concealment on the Western side. In both cases we will have to be wary of support fire, and drone overwatch at select chokepoints. The center and immediate center East of the map has opportunities for long range ATGM and tank fire.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I think I want the Tunguska and the better spotting. I don't remember if the BMP-2M has a better long range atgm than BMP-3M but that is something to think about.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Will iglas fire against drones? iirc they don't, which is one reason I like the tunguska option. The other is the spotting of the -3M will be notably better than the -2M. Hard to say if that will be better enough to preserve vehicles to counteract the sheer number of -2Ms we would have.

Again, iirc, I think the BMP-2M has a longer range ATGM that might matter on this huge map. I'm not sure how much the enemy will expose themselves to long-range shots over the huge open fields, but that is something.

I am not very passionate about either option, but I tend to find spotting to be more important than almost anything else in a competently played match which factors into my thought. However, we can count on some accidental and inexperience-based incompetence so maybe the greater numbers are valuable.

edit: There is no EW for either side per the scenario settings posted.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's easy to miss in this thread's OP but there's a second signup for specific unit assignments: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k-d6mtH8Ln1EMBSg-UNs6QntbevMiPRXV2THc4kqJQU/edit#gid=0

Everybody who can should drop into the Roll20 to offer input! CORRECTED LINK: https://app.roll20.net/join/1705309/x__W3Q

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 2, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Brothers! Let us review our equipment and capabilities, briefly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gvsjfw8wY0

Lieutenants
Forrums Terrorist
Hubis
Fray

Each of you commands a platoon of our brave infantry.

Three BTR-82s will transport your force; this is a lightly armored, fast, amphibious APC. It is suitable to protect the men from artillery shrapnel and light small arms. Heavy machine guns can and will penetrate the armor so they and all larger weapons must be avoided; there are IR smoke launchers for emergency defense. Its most useful asset besides speed is IR optics; from a concealed position it can help spot the enemy at a distance. It is armed with a 14.5mm machine gun that can be used to support the dismounted infantry and against light armored vehicles. When in combat, keep the men clear of the vehicle by 10 meters at least as the vehicle's destruction can be dangerous. It contains spare ammunition in the form of 400 5.45mm rounds, 2 grenades, 4 RPG-26 tubes, 5 RPG-7V rockets that can be ACQUIREed by the men.

The command squad is two men with AK-74Ms (500m effective range). Each squad has two AK-74Ms, two AK-74Ms with GP-30 grenade launchers (200m), one RPG-7V2 rocket launcher(200m point target, 1000m area target), 1 SVD sniper rifle (800m), and one PKP squad machine gun (800m). The squad is also armed with one potent RPG-26 AT rocket (250m).

Squads can be divided so that there is a pretty even split (AK-74M, AK-74M/GP-30, RPG-7V2), OR a scout group of two men (AK-74Ms), OR an assault group of three men (two AK-74Ms, one AK-74M/GP-30), OR an anti-tank team of two men (AK-74M, RPG-7V2, RPG-26 and all rocket reloads).

Senior Lieutenant
Koolkevz666

You command our armor platoon. This is three T-90A tanks which feature defensively: laser detectors, electro-optical jammer, ERA, and smoke launchers. The armor protection is nearly our best, but given the terrain we are operating in, the sides are very vulnerable. We will lack the advantage of range against inferior Ukrainian tanks and are outclassed by American tanks. Offensively you have a decent IR optic and an assortment of 125mm 21 HE, 8 T-HEAT, 14 APFSDS rounds and 4 AT-11 ATGMs (5,000m) as well as 300 12.7mm AP-I and 2,000 7.62x64R machine gun rounds. You will need to advance behind an infantry screen in the woods until we can maneuver into areas with open sight-lines.

I will make an orders post later today unless our plans change.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 2, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

:siren:1st Company Orders!:siren:

The lines on the map are not prescribed paths but a general outline. Only at the Flo Rida Swamp where there are chokepoints do we have to follow the lines.

The weather is light rain with wet ground that is likely to inhibit vehicle travel in questionable spots and limit aircraft effectiveness slightly.
Our enemy is a mixed Ukrainian/American reinforced battalion of mechanized infantry and armor. The size and composition of the elements in our immediate area is unclear, but we can anticipate possibly company or larger sized infantry with supporting IFV, APC, and tank assets. Helicopter and jet airstrikes are a significant concern.
The enemy is likely to attempt to secure their flank and areas with longer sight-lines must be entered cautiously. Sudden contact in the close quarters of these wooded hills is likely.

Our battalion is attempting to secure the enemy within a pocket and to poise for an attack on the town in the south.
2nd Co will secure the road from enemy escape or reinforcement and will protect our rear as we probe south. 3rd Co will serve as reserve and secure the road in the north.
Battalion recon will precede our probe and battalion support assets will reinforce our positions at the southern edge of the wooded hills where enemy armor contact is deemed likely.

Our mission is to probe and transit the wooded hills South of Victory Road with the intent of forming a flanking attack on the Southern town. We will move with haste to reform at and just south of Victory Road. From there we will follow battalion recce through favorable paths to attacking positions in the south.
In the immediate term, form travel columns and traverse along the indicated areas toward Victory Road to the south. Form up from WEST TO EAST 1st Platoon, 2nd Platoon, 3rd Platoon. Spread out to avoid congested traffic (which will be to some degree unavoidable.)

EDIT Armor platoon is to hold back one minute and then proceed behind the infantry platoons.

In the event that our primary path through the Flo Rida Swamp is congested or under enemy barrage, 1st Platoon will attempt the secondary route to the west. Others will follow if this does not prove problematic; else further orders will clarify.

If anything is unclear, speak up. It will take some coordination to line everyone up at the start so DRAW MAPS so we can see where people are placing themselves. I expect it will take several turns just to sort out starting movements.

:siren: 1st Co HQ orders :siren:

UPDATED

ATGM teams in one BTR, HMG team and platoon Leader in the other.

HQ, ATGM BTR, HMG BTR: Wait 2 turns then proceed QUICK, MOVE, QUICK as per the map

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 4, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Fray posted:

My understanding from our CO is that the travel order for the main crossing is: Recon, 3rd, 2nd, 1st. Let's try to maintain this with staggered pauses as necessary.

That was my intent, yeah.

edit:

Generation Internet

I've missed it if it was mentioned somewhere. Are there going to be more than one turn run on the first set of orders?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

:siren: 1st Company Platoon Commanders :siren:

In light of the 5 turns on the first orders, I want to show my intent so you can make sense of it if you outstrip the initial commands.

3rd Platoon will take up a temporary position on the heights on Victory Road to provide security while other units make progress through the area. My expectation is that once other units progress forward you will move off that position and turn over highway security to 2nd Company elements.

2nd Platoon will proceed forward into the hilly, wooded terrain to the south keeping along the western track.

1st Platoon will proceed forward into the hilly, wooded terrain to the south keeping along the eastern track. By the time you are in position I expect battalion recon platoon will be moving forward in this area; give them room to scout and then follow up.

Armor will hold along the trees there in as much concealment until they can follow up the infantry.

Company fire support assets will move forward in followup looking to gain a position as assigned.

The pace of our advance will largely be dictated by terrain and scouting progress. Once we are in the wooded area, dismounting troops may be advisable, but use your judgement.

Further orders will follow as the situation develops.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I made a map segment of our approximate deployment zone to help with starting positions. It's bigger than I expected.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This is my proposed deployment area for 1st Company. I am not trying to micro manage during this LP, but I think the first turn with so many units can use some extra central control for traffic.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

To be honest, my confidence is low that they will drive down the very exposed road at all.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Do we have an orders spreadsheet up? We will need that.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Decoy Badger posted:

Is there any other viable path south through the Flo Rida Swamps besides that one chokepoint?

There is an alternate path but it's rough terrain so slow and pathing is sorta random and unexpected. I would use it outright but I fear getting stuff stuck. Still, some 1st Company platoons have it as an alternate route if the main one is problematic.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Orders are due in about 30 hours. Make sure you link to the orders tab of the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k-d6mtH8Ln1EMBSg-UNs6QntbevMiPRXV2THc4kqJQU/edit#gid=871957813

:siren:
I have done some testing and have IMPORTANT ADVICE APPLICABLE TO EVERYONE DRIVING THROUGH GRASS: NO NOT USE THE FAST COMMAND. It seems too likely to cause BTRs to get bogged in these conditions.

I think that with some minor tweaks to our timing that it should be as smooth as it's going to get provided we don't get bogged. Please limit yourselves to the QUICK speed. Other units on roads can probably ignore this.

It is going to take us a while to get down to Victory Road, so we might hit turn 6 with decisions to make. It should be clear by then if the enemy is barraging our crossing, in which case the main western alternate is our best, terrible option so keep that in mind. We have no alternative than these chokepoints; even if we wanted to be dumb, the game won't let our BTRs try to enter the swampy ground.

Forums Terrorist: Speak up if you need more time! If it gets to tomorrow afternoon I will post provisional orders just to make sure we don't lose precious turns because life is busy or whatever. You know what you're doing; just overwrite my orders if there's something there. Plan to add 1 minute of waiting to the start of your orders to accommodate how long it's going to take to get everyone moving.

Hubis: Orders look good, but I recommend removing the second pause just before the chokepoint. Also, the 5 second pauses between vehicles should be unnecessary given the amount of space we have to work with. It's bigger than it seems. There may be some backing up but the game seems to handle it okay enough and I think if we add extra pauses it will echo back too much.

Fray: Please reduce speed to QUICK to avoid getting bogged.

Koolkevz666: Please increase your delay to 90 seconds before starting movement. It's going to take a little longer than expected to get everyone moving.

Generation Internet: I know you've already expressed the spirit with which you're going to enter orders, so I think this is superfluous, but... Based on my testing I think this clusterfuck will work out moderately okay just by being generous with our spacing both in starting position and specific pathing. The game seems to have more space than our map segments are really representing so please spread us out! I Thanks.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 4, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yeah, I'd planned to have my orders in last night but my internet was crapping out so Roll20 was a blurry mess. Essentially I'm going to move QUICKly down the hill like everyone else and use the alternate route to the west (because lol if there won't be traffic problems at Flo Rida). Still need to determine final destination; is 1/1 still going for Mt Moon?

No problem. My intention is to have you be our (initially) eastern-most element headed toward the Jagged Pass. Depending on what battalion recon finds that way, I hope to advance you into the passes to try to find good ground ahead of the expected enemy advance into the same passes. Our best case scenario is that the enemy is very slow to enter the area or focusing elsewhere, allowing us to form up for a coordinated flanking attack. Our greatest risk is that the enemy enters the area much faster than expected and is able to prepare an ambush, or that the enemy commits a majority of their forces to the area and attempts to overwhelm us. The most likely event is that we meet the enemy with little notice, chaotically in the woods and passes. I think the chance of enemy air cover in our area is moderate, with 3rd Co's northern positions that overwatch the open ground by far most at risk.

2nd Platoon will be operating to your immediate right, attempting to advance through the channels of the passes just to the West of your area with the same intention. 3rd Platoon is in position to respond more re-actively to the situation. In our best case scenario 3rd will follow behind you to quickly form up for an attack. In our worst case scenario they will create fall back positions where needed to allow you or 2nd Platoon to disengage from an ambush or retreat from overwhelming forces and establish controlled lines in the woods and passes. In our most likely scenario they maneuver to extend our line on either the left or right flank as needed, the latter being my expectation.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 5, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

That middle path isn't viable. Vehicles cannot pass there. You can, however slip through on the strip of dry ground a little farther to the east. (Travel just behind the buildings to the west of the swamp.)

The western path obviously has the downside of the entire 1st Co trying to squeeze through.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Check the Roll20. At some point I had a map of all the good paths through that area, with notes on what look good but aren't. Might have been deleted, though.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Now that the main objective has become directing traffic, this is the most realistic combat mission let's play yet.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Fray: Please add 30 seconds of delay to your orders so that you delay 30, then move.
Hubis: Please add 30 seconds of delay to your orders so that you delay 1 minute, then move.
Forums Terrorist: You should not need to delay given your western path.
Koolkevz66: Your delay is already 90 seconds so that should be fine.

Generation Internet: Just trying to make sure you see this in case there's no time extension and they don't get updated. Also, the move Forrums Terroist is doing works best if you give it lots of short moves through the trees rather than longer segments, so that is our desired execution.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Fray posted:

Well we're moving a lot better than I feared. I'm surprised none of our choke points are getting bombarded.

We're right about on time for delayed barrages to start coming in, so hold that thought! haha

I will have a better chance to sort out this poo poo tomorrow, I hope. Some elements of 1st company might have to issue some useful orders for getting into forward positions. Also, 1/1(?) looks like it's going on a back woods adventure into the bushes, so I might need to retask 3rd platoon while Forums Terrorist wrangles that. Not entirely unexpected.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I don't think it's that bad. There's a short slow section to get through and then they'll speed back up. Just want to avoid vehicles without pauses trying to find an alternate route and getting bogged in some bad spot or wedged between two trees or whatever.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'll get together some orders for 1st company around midday today.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

1st Company! Our mission has changed somewhat to a more conservative initial defensive posture.

I recommend anyone still moving through the chokepoint and any forward areas of questionable ground to move through those local areas at MOVE speed rather than anything faster.

All infantry elements should consider the use of Scout Teams broken off of squads as you advance and where a forward position is useful for recon of enemy movement.

1st Platoon: In light of the worse than expected terrain, I recommend re-grouping, pausing and advancing through the main chokepoint as traffic permits. You are re-tasked to be our initial reserve force so you have a bit of time to move up, do not feel pressured to most hastily. However, you are free to make a considered decision about your pathing. At your assigned area of operation, you are to conceal yourselves as best possible and be ready for further orders to re-position as circumstances forward of your position dictate. The main threats to your platoon are enemy airstrikes and drone-directed artillery.

2nd Platoon: You are re-tasked to enter the woods just west of Jagged Pass, deny the area to the enemy, and prepare to attack the flanks of enemy movement through the pass ahead of you. (The arrow lines are completely general and you should choose your own routes.) Your vehicles can move slowly through the trees, but dismounting promptly upon entering the woods is prudent. For the BTRs, there are some longer view lines into the pass on high ground near where battalion recon will be positioned and near the forward edges of the woods. Try to balance the usefulness of the heavy machine gun with care to preserve the BTRs for ammunition and future movement. The main threat to your platoon is the advance of enemy forces toward your position.

3rd Platoon: You are re-tasked to move to forward positions at the extreme west of our area of operation. You are to prepare to defend against enemy advances on the right flank of the battalion. Terrain relief toward the edge of the wood offers good positions to defend but relatively short sight-lines. Utilize speed to seize your ground and be aware of the threat of forward enemy elements advancing onto your position.

5th Platoon (Armor): Occupy ground to the north of the open ground on Mount Moon. Terrain relief provides positions with good overwatch to the treeline in the south of the area. The main threats to your platoon are (near term, ongoing) enemy airstrikes and precision artillery and (later term) enemy infantry ATGMs infiltrating the trees to the south.

Company HQ and 4th Platoon (Weapons) orders!

Shift the QUICK leg of 1st Co HQ, 4th Platoon (Weapons) BTRs to follow the course on the map. Stop the Co HQ BTR in the trees before the road, continue to the 4th Platoon vehicles up close to the trees, but just before the crest of the rise to the south. MOVE 1 ATGM team and 1 MG team into the gap in the trees in this location where they have a view to the south of the opening toward the wheat field area. Deploy.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 10, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I think a time extension is appropriate. I drafted some provisional orders for Koolkevz666's 1/5 platoon but I really don't want to step on toes, especially for a potentially 5 turn set of orders. I won't post those until the last minute.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Looks good to me. Glad you got them in!

As far as 1st company goes, 1/2 will probably run through remaining orders in 2 or maybe 3 turns, depending on the RIda jam, so may need some time for fresh orders to be posted. If 1/1 keeps current orders I don't think they'll finish before this turn window ends so not so pressing there.

Edit: 24 hours should accommodate that.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pro-level map. I'm going to have to step up my drawing lines game.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I normally use greenshot but had trouble getting it to work with CM. Specifically the trees all vanish when I take the shot. Maybe I just need to take it with ALT-T showing only the trunks?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I loaded up the game to doublecheck to confirm C4 computer interfaces in the BTR-82s, and I dug into the battlefront forums a bit for specific info. The only concrete testing I could find showed that US units improved artillery call-in times by 1 minute by being in Stryker vehicles vs using their iphones or whatever. I suspect the game is detailed enough to model other beneficial modifiers to having an officer using the better interface, so it's probably worth it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I can't look at the save until this afternoon. For orders, I think 2 or 3 minute turns is worth trying, but I think more is infeasible.

Those APCs are in trouble in the open, but I wonder what they're doing with their tanks. They obviously pushed some troops (recon? spotters? atgm?) to try to get into that lobe of woods in the open; we may want to barrage the trees with some slow anti-personnel mortar fire in case some units made/make it there.

My best guess is they are attempting to use the road to get some infantry up into forward positions in the trees since I doubt they planned to rush a whole company of infantry without tanks up into town in the open; you can see some units turning west, I think. 2nd company might need to plan a second defensive line in case they beat us to good positions near Mt Silver or are pushing tanks there. That's another place to think about harassing mortar fire just to jumble them up.

1st Company is looking okay, I guess. The chokepoint is pretty brutal, but we are making good speed once through. Should get everybody through in the next turn and then be out of the way of 2nd Company there. I'm glad we have recon well forward into the passes, but I can't tell if the lack of any contacts means much. Might be that they are trying a wide west swing, or maybe we just can't tell poo poo from isolated terrain.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, I took a closer look at the video. There's a tank back there somewhere.

Possibly trying to put it into the treeline to shoot out over the road/field. Maybe also moving behind the trees. Appears to be a sound contact.

Also: BTR-70 contacts. Don't see any BTR-4E with the dangerous autocannon and other upgrades. These have 14.5mm HMGs like ours. We still don't want our BTRs to get shot with that, though.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 12, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I think that 1st Company orders are sufficient for the next 2 minutes.

Forrums Terrorist, Hubis, Fray, Koolkevz666, do any platoon commanders have any suggestions or thoughts both about this orders phase and going forward?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

None in particular other than we should really get the gently caress out of the Rida chokepoint ASAP before their drones find us and we get maimgored by artillery.

I think we will clear it fully in the next turn and spend all of turn 9 moving pretty fast away from there.

Fray posted:

Yeah, not much to say until we get recon results. Based on our estimate of their travel progress, it's going to be several videos before any proper attack can develop in our sector.

I am a bit torn between pushing hard for best possible positions and access to their left flank vs not just driving blindly into maybe 2 enemy companies. We shall see.

Hubis posted:

Let's let the next two minutes play out, orders as they stand. I think 3rd Platoon can probably not dismount (which will save a LOT of time with our current turn setup) and possibly hold back, getting ready to rock down into the ravine on that western entrance, but that's just a guess. I'll probably leave my orders as they stand as even if we want to push harder I don't see myself not dismounting and leap-frogging through that middle area.

I do think 1st Platoon should possibly consider poising to swing eastward and support 2nd Company in the center, but I don't think that is something we need to worry about for the next 2m.

I'm dying to get an idea of where the enemy will be centered. I think a far western swing by them is likely enough that we may need 1st platoon to fill in between your guys and 3rd moving farther south. Good point about keeping people in vehicles longer if we look to be moving further.

koolkevz666 posted:

I'd like to swing at least one tank down towards the south, we should be on a fairly high elevation and I would like to see if I can spot anything coming up from the south. Would only be a quick peek and scoot mission. Thoughts?

Here's an example:

I'm not sure that there's any view there because of trees, but I'll have to check in game this afternoon. I am thinking it's more likely we push you farther south along the extreme west toward open ground near Hubis' speculative enemy left flank with 3rd platoon covering the woods. I think PC has something similar in mind. In any case, I think I would prefer that you keep the 3 tanks together to ensure best possible fire superiority if you're suprised. I think with infantry moving up this this orders phase you will soon be moving toward the Mt Pyre vicinity.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The trees really hem you in up on the heights there. The only area you have LOS to is a narrow section of the road to the east indicated on this quick map.

It may end up being useful at some point, but I suspect we're going to clear out of this location and be moving to the south soon enough. Don't worry about amending orders. I just wanted to clear up that there is almost no LOS to anything up on these heights because of trees; the entire rest of the eastern map is blocked. I wish I could get a screen shot working so I could show the view.

Edit: fraps works and shows the trees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y00MLJ7ZufU

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 13, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's all good. I'm just making sure everyone knows the terrain.

Anyway, I think most of these combat mission let's plays need more sub-unit commander agency, not less!

Forrums Terrorist: I linked your orders post into the spreadsheet from last turn since we'll continue it. You might be moving forward sooner than later, too.

Fray: consider ammending orders to stay in vehicles in case we move forward more quickly. Your call, especially if we develop sound contacts. I linked your previous orders post into the spreadsheet. I also made a video of where your current orders are sending you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CbOfiJeH20

If anyone in 1st Company has requests for LOS or POV clips just let me know. I'll try to make those as I make new orders, too.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 14, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've never been impressed with BM Oplots; they always still suck in the games I play. In any case, we do need to get more than one tank seeing the same targets; because being outnumbered will get it killed whether or not the Ukrainians are better.

I guess the terrain in the west is just preventing even sound contacts. We'll need to be careful not to be too aggressive in the close woods and passes and find ourselves surprised by a stronger force.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 15, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'll try to get an orders post up late tonight (eastern time) for 1st Company. Roll20 discussion ongoing so we will see how it shapes out. For now, thinking Koolkev666 will push toward the western edge then south to trees with a view to anchor our line near Mt Pyre, Fray will traverse the meadow and get a line into the woods south of there, with Forums Terrorist filling in the space between that and Hubis.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I completely disagree with the thought that they aren't going west. Where else are 3 companies hiding? They aren't in the east. I think they are going west in force. I hope to have orders updated around noon tomorrow.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This is my blind guess as to the positions of the enemy right now. I haven't simulated enemy movement or anything like that, but based on the open terrain passes they have and how we have moved through that type of terrain, I think this is their approximate disposition (or at least what I would operate off of).

It's possible they are slower than this, but I don't think it would be much because I don't think their chokepoints are as restrictive as ours have been. Of course, I also don't know where their spawn area was so maybe I'm more off one way or another.

My concern with being aggressive is that I think there's little chance we can get to the forward positions for 2nd company before the enemy are on top of them. Being caught moving into position would be bad and I think we should instead try to choose terrain to meet them from decent defensive positions, sitting still for best shooting and spotting. The move with 1st Company tanks on the far western flank that we discussed seems risky to me, and that's all the way at the far end of the map.

The other issue is those positions are well ahead of even our most advanced units with a lot of our weight lagging far behind. I favor a much more conservative center of gravity with more aggressive moves on the flanks rather than the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

We are going to be more aggressive in trying to obtain forward positions.

Forums Terrorist: Plan to move into the Jagged Pass to secure the woods to the east of the pass as indicated on the map. You will be the company's north eastern flank with 2nd company moving forward to your right.

Hubis: Plan a deployment across the Jagged Pass to the southeast of your previously ordered position as indicated on the map. You will center our line.

Fray: Rather than deploying at the north of the meadow to overwatch, traverse it to the south and enter the woods as indicated on the map. You are to secure the southern woods in our sector and protect the northern flank of our tanks.

Koolkevz666: As discussed in the Roll20, you are to sweep west and south to create an anchor for our line in the south. Move to an initial position as indicated on the map and proceed forward as possible and with caution as contact with the enemy is likely. Be aware that you are operating at the extreme or our line and infantry coverage of the trees to your north may be delayed.

The intent is to try to form a rough line as feasible and to then push forward in the woods near the Ravaged Path. 2nd Company will push forward to attempt the same to our east. If we obtain these positions we should be able to control the southwestern portion of our operating area.

Initial areas of deployment are in solid, future intent in dashed.

HQ: MOVE the BTR to a position of concealment within the trees as indicated on the map.

4th Platoon: Cancel current orders. Move the BTRs up against the treeline QUICK and dismount one MG and one ATGM and MOVE as indicated on the map. DEPLOY

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 16, 2016

• Locked thread