Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Support since he ain't here

Deploy west of MSR trump since that is a mess right now and no one read my orders regarding deployment and road priority. Lt. Col. Passive Aggressive reporting in sir.

Move Fast to the NW. Set up a Fagot and a grenade launcher squad in Half Moon Copse and the same in the northern portion of Bland Forest. Have them 1) in los of X Ray and beyond out to their range 2) not visable from so far away to the north that the enemy can easily kill them with long range tank fire 3) have the GL and ATGM at least 50 meters apart if possible so they don't all get taken out by a single HE shell. Set up the HQ squads in Half Moon copse.

Have the two RRs drive fast through ASR tinker and Triangle Wood and set up in Junction Wood at L10ish, with as much LOS as you can give me.

I think I have one 2 more GL teams? Throw them in the woodline in front of town next to the BATT HQ. In houses if they have LOS of x ray, in the woodline if not. Move their BTRs behind houses.

Just drive their btrs up to the south parts of the woods and dismount then move the btrs to the SE along the woodline until they are out of sight to X Ray.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So I talked to dzkotl in the Roll20, and after some discussion and some checking the manual, I've decided to update my orders for 1st Company's Weapons Platoon:

1st Company Amended Orders:

-ATGM currently attached to 1st platoon drives to positions near Junction X-Ray, (Magenta) dismounts, and will MOVE to take up a position covering the entrance to Ribeye Forest (Pink).

-ATGM and HMG teams attached to HQ will move QUICK along ASR Eagle (Purple), dismount, and MOVE to take positions in the southern tip of Ribeye (Red). The HMG will MOVE to take up a position deeper within Ribeye. (Blue)

-1st Company HQ will remain mounted in its BTR and MOVE to take up an overwatch position on the southern tip of ribeye.(Grey)

-Two BTRs move north FAST and try to generate sound contacts (Lime Green)

I'll be editing my orders above in the thread as well to try and keep things clear. ro5s, this means I'll be stealing your ATGM I gave you earlier. Sorry!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Orders are final

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
Ah poo poo, I just got home, sorry. If I'm not horribly late, pair my Abrams and BM with the two from the other platoon and do whatever Barracuda said to do with the T-64 for now. Otherwise I guess I'll find out where my dudes went.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Generation Internet posted:

Orders are final

May God Have Mercy on Glorious Ukraine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKMiE9WII0

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Hey guys, just had a death in the family. I think I'll drop out of this one for now.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

the JJ posted:

Hey guys, just had a death in the family. I think I'll drop out of this one for now.

I'm really sorry to hear that. We'll manage fine.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Yes don't worry any about us. You take care of what you need to.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

dtkozl posted:

Support since he ain't here

Deploy west of MSR trump since that is a mess right now and no one read my orders regarding deployment and road priority. Lt. Col. Passive Aggressive reporting in sir.

Move Fast to the NW. Set up a Fagot and a grenade launcher squad in Half Moon Copse and the same in the northern portion of Bland Forest. Have them 1) in los of X Ray and beyond out to their range 2) not visable from so far away to the north that the enemy can easily kill them with long range tank fire 3) have the GL and ATGM at least 50 meters apart if possible so they don't all get taken out by a single HE shell. Set up the HQ squads in Half Moon copse.

Have the two RRs drive fast through ASR tinker and Triangle Wood and set up in Junction Wood at L10ish, with as much LOS as you can give me.

I think I have one 2 more GL teams? Throw them in the woodline in front of town next to the BATT HQ. In houses if they have LOS of x ray, in the woodline if not. Move their BTRs behind houses.

Just drive their btrs up to the south parts of the woods and dismount then move the btrs to the SE along the woodline until they are out of sight to X Ray.

Thanks for this, I didn't see my name in the list of company commanders at all or the spreadsheet so I was under the impression I was just acting as a second opinion for support assets.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

this is amazing

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

There are no words.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Huh. Adding this to the list of things I didn't know I was missing from my life.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Update 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlgsNptbTo0

I'm also uploading a save for the turn and will post again when that's online.

Next turn will be five minutes or until engaging the enemy! Orders will be due next Monday.

e: Save file!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywbj3pra2dkotcw/Goon%20Game%20Turn%205%20NATO%20Replay.bts?dl=0

Password: Jeb!

Let me know if that link works.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 7, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
welp, so much for a lighting fast rollout :(

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Man, when I saw that smoke come down, I thought some Russians were going to come a-yoloin' down the highway as a spoiling force. That would have been fun.

My full five min. orders actually almost were "do literally nothing," so as not to join the clusterbump, but I figured I'd get yelled at.

Hooray at not getting stuck in a field, though. The peasants get awful shirty.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
That smoke helps us as well as them. Also, this map is huge and without good roads outside of MSR Eagle.

Should we go ahead and bail out the crew of that immobilized BTR so they don't die when the inevitable sabot round comes slashing in? You can order them to dismount.

Hopefully things will be a bit easier for you GI once we get into more fixed (and spread out) positions. I don't know if you know this, but if you double click on an HQ unit it will highlight all the units underneath it, which might make it quicker to go through showing us where we are.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

pthighs posted:

That smoke helps us as well as them. Also, this map is huge and without good roads outside of MSR Eagle.

Should we go ahead and bail out the crew of that immobilized BTR so they don't die when the inevitable sabot round comes slashing in? You can order them to dismount.

Hopefully things will be a bit easier for you GI once we get into more fixed (and spread out) positions. I don't know if you know this, but if you double click on an HQ unit it will highlight all the units underneath it, which might make it quicker to go through showing us where we are.

Yeah, I was actually doing that a lot when I set it up, I had just spent so long running everything by the time I recorded the last turn it slipped my mind. My bad.

This turn was definitely uniquely long and awful to run because I had massive intricate orders from both sides to put down long-distance trails of waypoints with conditionals and pause orders and everything else. It should actually be easier when I'm worrying about fine positioning than gross movements.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Update 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlgsNptbTo0

I'm also uploading a save for the turn and will post again when that's online.

Next turn will be five minutes or until engaging the enemy! Orders will be due next Monday.

e: Save file!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywbj3pra2dkotcw/Goon%20Game%20Turn%205%20NATO%20Replay.bts?dl=0

Password: Jeb!

Let me know if that link works.

About what I expected. When I said "deploy west of trump" did you think I meant just a little off the road? I meant avoid the road all together.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Merry Marauder posted:

Man, when I saw that smoke come down, I thought some Russians were going to come a-yoloin' down the highway as a spoiling force. That would have been fun.

That we have basically no recourse if they do this (or, heavens loving forfend) put fire support on the single main road out of our spawn location is going to continually give me conniption fits until 30 seconds after 1st and 2nd co are in position :gonk:

e; i'm really surprised the BTRs are having such a tough time on Trump, though. The mess in the south makes sense, kinda, but on the main road? like: just drive homies. Drive on the main road. Its easy, I do it myself more days than not.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

dtkozl posted:

About what I expected. When I said "deploy west of trump" did you think I meant just a little off the road? I meant avoid the road all together.

I wasn't really sure what you meant at all! Most of the terrain west of trump isn't super viable for moving things and I had a hard time picturing what route you had in mind since it was either trump or a long circuitous route through muddy fields.

You were also the only person on either side who didn't post a map with their orders :v:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Well at the current rate It should take my guys another six or so minutes before the even deploy. So that should make giving order to them easy for a while.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFZ1RRs3jvQ

Recon plt orders

Continue previous orders, with one modification. Cancel the final hunt order for 1st team and have them stop on the marker in the red line.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Ikasuhito posted:

Well at the current rate It should take my guys another six or so minutes before the even deploy. So that should make giving order to them easy for a while.

Yeah, I honestly considered just running five more turns since nobody really has the power to unfuck traffic except the TacAI, but I figured I'd give everyone an idea of what was happening.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

I wasn't really sure what you meant at all! Most of the terrain west of trump isn't super viable for moving things and I had a hard time picturing what route you had in mind since it was either trump or a long circuitous route through muddy fields.

You were also the only person on either side who didn't post a map with their orders :v:

Yeah I didn't realize it would be raining so it would probably have ended with a lot more bogs. I meant the circuitous route though.

That doesn't matter anymore.

Company commanders I gave explicit orders regarding road priority. I expect you to unfuck your troops and carry on. The russians are going to have the same problems we are, so no big deal.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792675&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post464941285

Here are my orders again if you need a refresher.

I'll let you use your own judgement on whether to try and go back in and mess with the AI or not. Giving new orders might not be any faster for a lot of this compared to letting things take the course they are on. Just be sure to NOT dismount on a road, drive off road before dismounting so you don't gently caress over the vehicles behind you.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Also GI, was there any mortar ammo left in the trucks or were they able to acquire all of it?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

2nd Company, 2nd Platoon Orders

Eeuuuueeeuuuuggghhh.

Just park in the field to your immediate right and hold unit the Americans make actual headway before completing your objectives. Once the road is free, continue last turn's orders.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

dtkozl posted:

Also GI, was there any mortar ammo left in the trucks or were they able to acquire all of it?

Each team was only able to grab three rounds, I'm assuming for weight reasons. The mortars now have 25 rounds apiece and the two platoon HQ's have six rounds within sharing range. Most of the trucks have ~27 rounds still in them and I dispersed them as best as I could since there's not actually a ton of overhead cover in that area.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Guys wait for your company commanders to weigh in before you give new orders please.

Each team was only able to grab three rounds, I'm assuming for weight reasons. The mortars now have 25 rounds apiece and the two platoon HQ's have six rounds within sharing range. Most of the trucks have ~27 rounds still in them and I dispersed them as best as I could since there's not actually a ton of overhead cover in that area.

What about farther to the NW? I said Y2 in the post because there looked to be some tree lines there, is it about the same as where you put them or is it worth moving them north?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

dtkozl posted:

What about farther to the NW? I said Y2 in the post because there looked to be some tree lines there, is it about the same as where you put them or is it worth moving them north?

All the mortars are under/at the edge of trees, and about half the trucks are under trees with the rest behind buildings. I think where they are is as good as anywhere else nearby and they have a nasty pack-up/deployment time.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

All the mortars are under/at the edge of trees, and about half the trucks are under trees with the rest behind buildings. I think where they are is as good as anywhere else nearby and they have a nasty pack-up/deployment time.

Cool, thanks. I'll leave them where they are then.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Work is taking up more of my time than I expected and I keep forgetting to check this thread so I think I'll sit out unless things get desperate. Sorry.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

1st Company Orders

1st Platoon

Continue inching forward in traffic.

2nd Platoon

Continue inching forward in traffic

3rd Platoon

Continue inching forward in traffic.

Weapons Platoon/HQ

If possible, have the ATGM team pick up as many missiles as possible from the BTR, and have them load onto the HQ BTR.

In addition, I want to slightly adjust the deployment of my HMG teams:

With the deployment of the Russian smoke screen, it is highly likely that they're probably going to make a move for Ribeye, in force-which means my machine-guns need to be somewhat more dispersed and able to cover a wider area. With any luck, though, we managed to get there first, and should be able to make them pay for it.

Edit: Also, if anyone wants to hop on Roll20, I'm there.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hey uh, I just had a thought: if we're up against frontline Russian mechanized infantry, doesn't that mean they're all going to be in tracked BMPs that aren't going to bog down like this?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

2nd Platoon, 2nd Company, Ad Hoc Armored Whatever

Too much butt on the road ahead of me, going to use my big boy tracks and take the platoon offroad to reach my designated firing position. Fast move at each individual tank's best speed - I know that Oplot is a lot faster than the other two.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 8, 2016

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

1st Company, 1st Platoon

Continue previous orders.

ro5s posted:

[Link to previous post]

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
2nd Company

All units, with the exception of the T-64, cancel your planned movements and get off the road into the nearest clear space. A Company needs to get moving and they have the right of way.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
1st Co. 3rd Platoon Orders:

ORDERS END

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Yeah, I was actually doing that a lot when I set it up, I had just spent so long running everything by the time I recorded the last turn it slipped my mind. My bad.

This turn was definitely uniquely long and awful to run because I had massive intricate orders from both sides to put down long-distance trails of waypoints with conditionals and pause orders and everything else. It should actually be easier when I'm worrying about fine positioning than gross movements.

I know how you feel - the first turn setup is a nightmare in these things, as everyone has long orders.

3/2 Orders - Keep honking that horn!

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
1st Armored Ad hoc

Looks like these fine fellows are going to get out of our way so maintain current orders and get up that road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
A Company 3rd Platoon Orders
Continue previous orders.

pthighs posted:

A Company 3rd Platoon Orders

1) Move fast in Strykers along the yellow line. Park Strykers at end of yellow line 50 meters inside the treeline
2) Acquire at least one Javelin and 2 AT4s per squad and dismount
2) Move quick on foot along the black line, with each squad spread a bit laterally from it's neighbors.

1st Squad (and Weapons squad and FO team) move to White X.
2nd Squad move to Yellow X.
3rd Squad move to Light Blue X.

3rd Squad should be able to see the highway to the North and into the field to the East.

2nd Squad should be as far back in the treeline as possible to still be able to see to the North up the road
and into the field beyond like in the image below.

• Locked thread