Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Just a reminder, even if you aren't changing your orders you should still post some so we know your here.

Orders for A Company 1st Platoon.

Move drat you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Orders 2nd Platoon A Company

Freedom has no brakes :911: (proceed with previous orders)

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Orders for 1st Platoon, 2nd Ukrainian Company

Pull vehicles south 25-40m off the snarl to clear the way, if sufficiently firm ground can be located to do so. If not, gently caress it, let the AI handle this mess.

If we can find such a pull-off, CLEAR (or PAUSE, whatever's easier) MOVEMENT ORDERS, WAIT for TWO MINUTES.

Then, if, in your judgement, the way is sufficiently clear, re-engage the orders, i.e. FAST-ing along the red line road (shown below). If it's still not clear, PAUSE 45 more seconds and then do it anyway, because I'm not gonna get stuck in this drat pocket.

If we reach the edge of the map, pull off the road slightly to the south onto firm ground to allow more reckless passers-by to continue and to await developments.

Thanks!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Grey Hunter posted:

I know how you feel - the first turn setup is a nightmare in these things, as everyone has long orders.

3/2 Orders - Keep honking that horn!

I felt a deep swell of sympathy for all the huge games you've organized while I was doing the first turn, the spectacle of dozens of goons flailing in battle is matched only by the drudgery of making sure they get there.

Also, happy Thanksgiving, everyone :canada:

Just got back from being out of town with family for the weekend and it looks like there wasn't a lack of things to do for anyone else either. Orders will be final in 24 hours unless anyone wants it pushed back further.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
It's a little unsettling the Russians had anything time-consuming to do other than say "repeat orders, continue to plod."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The Merry Marauder posted:

It's a little unsettling the Russians had anything time-consuming to do other than say "repeat orders, continue to plod."

Possibly. On the one hand, it could mean that they're indecisive and constantly tinkering with their movement orders and their plans, which is good for us since it means it's more likely they're gonna be loving up. On the other hand, it could mean they've spotted something (Such as 1st Company HQ) and are shifting their orders to adjust.

But honestly, there's no sense worrying about it-the Russians will do whatever it is they decide to do, and we'll do what we need to do.

As to when the turn is run, I vote for running it tonight, if anything. 1st Co wants blood!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Possibly. On the one hand, it could mean that they're indecisive and constantly tinkering with their movement orders and their plans, which is good for us since it means it's more likely they're gonna be loving up. On the other hand, it could mean they've spotted something (Such as 1st Company HQ) and are shifting their orders to adjust.

But honestly, there's no sense worrying about it-the Russians will do whatever it is they decide to do, and we'll do what we need to do.

As to when the turn is run, I vote for running it tonight, if anything. 1st Co wants blood!

My guess is that they're tinkering. If it was some obvious change (ie, halt to fire) it wouldn't generate many more posts than we're doing.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Meanwhile on Roll20

:ohdear:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Update 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNZD3IINIAg

Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0siutqhrkn6rzg/Goon%20Game%20Turn%207%20NATO%20Replay.bts?dl=0
Password: Jeb!

Orders will be due this Friday at 18:00 EST

On formatting: Things have been shot. Modern combat is fast and brutal, with death happening in the blink of an eye. This format is super slow, with each minute of action taking three days at a time. I want to know if people would prefer a standard minute by minute play-through or a hybrid multi-minute per turn format where you give me conditionals so I can reasonably react with your troops without stopping the game. My reasoning for this is that with one minute turns we'll end up with players doing nothing but 'continue orders' for weeks of real time since they're not in position while other players are going fast and furious with modern combat.

Let me know what you think and we'll take it from there. For now you can treat the next turn as if it will be one minute for consistency's sake and so people can get their orders in. We'll try moving to two minute turns, plan for that!

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 12, 2016

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Whelp, if anyone wants a sum up of the turn I think The Oldest Man put it best.

The Oldest Man posted:

1co is basically hosed

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think the entire deployment plan for 1st/2nd co is DOA and 1st co is probably going to be occupying a mass grave very shortly. dtkozl secret contingency plan goooo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Good news: 1st co 3rd platoon is in a pretty good spot to hold the north of the town, can probably shift away in good order.

Bad news: *flails arms wildly, vaguely up the column*

We are NOT going to make Junction. Not up Trump, we aren't.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Double Kill!

Owch, that hurt, but maybe we can knock out that tank and it's inevitable mates.....

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

How in the gently caress do I still have vehicles on Trump? Driving down a straight road is not that difficult, obviously the Russians have managed it somehow.

Well, everything should still work out nicely. That shot that came down Eagle means that I won't be crossing it anytime soon, so I can just take the positions that 1st co would have taken if they weren't all about to die.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Ok, this is bad. Not unsolvable, but it is bad.

We need a smoke mission obscuring MSR Trump ASAP.

We also need to get every vehicle we can off the road and behind tree cover (the left side of the road it the fastest exit). Commanders will want to specify that GI inputs a multiple waypoints when making this turn, rather than one abrupt turn (which takes too long)

--

Question: who is the current American company commander?

Ikasuhito, Junkozeyne, and pthighs - will one of you be taking over?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Break. Break. Break. 2 Company HQ to all 2 Company callsigns

The Merry Marauder, Verdant Squire, and Grey Hunter, no changes to orders. Continue waiting for Alpha Company to pass us. Once they are clear – begin moving in the planned order of march.

Bacarruda posted:

1st Platoon (The Merry Marauder)
Company HQ (Bacarruda)
2nd Platoon (VerdantSquire)
4th Platoon(-) (Weapons) (Bacarruda)
3rd Platoon (Grey Hunter)

Enemy forces are on MSR Eagle in the vicinity of Sideshow Wood and Jagged Forest. They have engaged 1 Company’s lead element.

Be advised that enemy units may be in the Sideshow Forest, Whiskey Wood, and Roadrunner Wood.

Exercise caution as you approach your objectives. Keep your vehicles dispersed and prepare for enemy opposition.
--
Break. Break. 2 Company HQ to Alpha Company
Ikasuhito, Junkozeyne, and pthighs, enemy forces may be headed for the Fist Forest. Suggest you deploy some units in Triangle Wood to cover your movements through Fist Forest.

--

Orders for T-64BV
Move FAST to I5. HUNT to H6. Face North.

Orders for Company HQ and 4th Platoon (Weapons)
Wait for Alpha Company to pass. Once they pass, Company HQ will follow 1st Platoon. 4th Platoon will follow 2nd Platoon. Move at the same speed as 1st Platoon and 2nd Platoon.
Deploy as planned. Make sure you have acquired AT weapons and ammo.

Bacarruda posted:

Please have them maintain reasonable dispersion from friendly vehicles and follow a path that avoids bogging, sharp turns, or the risk of getting into traffic jams.

All units will get RPGs and RPG ammo, if possible. ATGM teams will acquire extra ATGMs and the MG team will get 2000 extra rounds of 7.62x54R ammo. Units will deploy after dismounting as indicated by moving QUICK on foot along the dotted lines.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 12, 2016

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hey guys, that tank is nowhere near MSR Eagle. It's sitting off MSR Trump at the NW corner of the Ballpark. It just has long sightlines. Unless there's a second tank I didn't see in the video.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

The Oldest Man posted:

Hey guys, that tank is nowhere near MSR Eagle. It's sitting off MSR Trump at the NW corner of the Ballpark. It just has long sightlines. Unless there's a second tank I didn't see in the video.

There's another tank somewhere along MSR Eagle. We see the sightline of the shot but we don't ever get eyes on the tank itself.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Do we not have anyone with the game here? I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out who is where and the video jumps around so much and is so zoomed out it really sucks. I need someone I can talk with who can actually see this stuff.

edit: who's tanks are those?

who is a company commander now?

who is support company commander now?

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 12, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

dtkozl posted:

Do we not have anyone with the game here? I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out who is where and the video jumps around so much and is so zoomed out it really sucks. I need someone I can talk with who can actually see this stuff.

What can I do in the next video to make it easier to comprehend?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Generation Internet posted:

What can I do in the next video to make it easier to comprehend?

I comprehend what is going on perfectly, it is just hard to figure out who is who, where exactly people are and what is the closest good terrain feature to tell them to run to. I'd just like some detailed jpgs of the area and the unit commanders to speak up which I'm not really expecting from you.

Did you replace a co and support co or am I in command of them now or what?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I have the game, I'm at work at the moment but I can take a look in 8 hours or so.

I can also volunteer for interim A Company command. I will take a close look at the map and where our units currently are, but it looks like we need to get a platoon in Triangle Wood with eyes to the north and up towards the NE on ASR Tinker, to see if we can cross into Fist Forest and scout north. Even though we are on the defensive ideally our positions would be far enough forward that we would have at least one fallback to the north of ASR Tinker.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

pthighs posted:

I have the game, I'm at work at the moment but I can take a look in 8 hours or so.

I can also volunteer for interim A Company command. I will take a close look at the map and where our units currently are, but it looks like we need to get a platoon in Triangle Wood with eyes to the north and up towards the NE on ASR Tinker, to see if we can cross into Fist Forest and scout north. Even though we are on the defensive ideally our positions would be far enough forward that we would have at least one fallback to the north of ASR Tinker.

Cool, if you could I'l like some shots of the front of the village, where our tanks are, and half moon copse so I can deploy the ATGMs if needed. I'm not too worried about things as they stand since the stuff that hit us is really far away, 1co just strayed onto a part of trump that should have been avoided at this point in the game.

These guys are really moving slow.

GI are these still fast commands that 1 co was under?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dtkozl posted:

These guys are really moving slow.

not empty quoting :smith:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Don't forget we have drones, it may be time to get them up and see what we can see.

Edit: They will take a couple of minutes to get on station and start spotting things as well.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I think once you get A company out of strykers and into triangle, ready to move on fist that will be the time to release the drones. I imagine we are going to see a bit of a meeting engagement at that point.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dtkozl posted:

I think once you get A company out of strykers and into triangle, ready to move on fist that will be the time to release the drones. I imagine we are going to see a bit of a meeting engagement at that point.

1st Co has a drone asset to itself iirc and, counterpoint: we should use it now because the plan--from 1st Co's perspective--is pretty well done and we need to know how done. Worst case scenario our drone gets shot down the minute it arrives and we learn that their AA is stifling, cueing us to guerilla fight over Exit Alpha with TOWs, AGS and mortars and it's probably best to learn that sooner rather than later.

At absolute minimum we need to time it with the air support we're getting in a few minutes.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

pthighs posted:

You still have the right of way, so 2 Company will try to clear the road so you can continue moving.

Good plan to scout Triangle Wood before advancing.

Let me know if there's anything 2 Company can do to support you.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

dtkozl posted:

edit: who's tanks are those?

Mine are the three off-road SW of MSR Trump (2nd plat). The two still on the MSR parallel to mine belong to the other guy.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Recon is going to have eyes on in the next 2 turns so save the drones. Right now we need to worry about not getting shot from their side of the map and probably junction woods.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

The Oldest Man posted:

Mine are the three off-road SW of MSR Trump (2nd plat). The two still on the MSR parallel to mine belong to the other guy.

Cool. Once we get some good jpegs I want you to ignore previous orders and get some tubes pointing downrange. It looked like maybe the Bulat could see junction but since they are right there we should get them in position to save what we can of 1st co and then we will think about relocating.

1st co what do you think, pop smoke with the btrs, dismount with the infantry and run west?

Also for the future

Watch recons 3rd btr, see how when given a 90 degree turn the whole thing stops? CM is not good with turns so you want to give it a bunch of nice oblique angles even if it means going off road, instead of one sharp turn. It will make everything run smoother.

Recon you are probably going to have to dismount and stay in that top tip of triangle until the rest of your guys get there (if they get there) before moving into junction.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 12, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dtkozl posted:

Cool. Once we get some good jpegs I want you to ignore previous orders and get some tubes pointing downrange. It looked like maybe the Bulat could see junction but since they are right there we should get them in position to save what we can of 1st co and then we will think about relocating.

1st co what do you think, pop smoke with the btrs, dismount with the infantry and run west?

pop smoke, possibly if it doesn't take too long or interrupt current movement. dismount?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'll park up all three of my tanks in that little hedge line on the SE edge of ASR Richman and see if we can trade back a T90.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

You still have the right of way, so 2 Company will try to clear the road so you can continue moving.

Good plan to scout Triangle Wood before advancing.

Let me know if there's anything 2 Company can do to support you.

A Company HQ and 2nd platoons current orders are to deploy on the western edge of Triangle Woods.

for 2nd Platoon and

for Company HQ.

Might want to amend these to push into the main part of Triangle Woods and/or have 1st and 3st platoon delay/also get in there.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Willie Tomg posted:

pop smoke, possibly if it doesn't take too long or interrupt current movement. dismount?

The problem is those btrs are moving really slow, at their current pace we would lose all them to AT rounds. If they all pop smoke and men start running they will get in cover hopefully while the tanks are still shooting at the btrs. If we give the btrs new orders to turn, they will just stop and sit there for a bit before moving again, causing the same result as the first scenario.

Also once we get pictures, can get get a pic of the enemy tank position?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dtkozl posted:

The problem is those btrs are moving really slow, at their current pace we would lose all them to AT rounds. If they all pop smoke and men start running they will get in cover hopefully while the tanks are still shooting at the btrs. If we give the btrs new orders to turn, they will just stop and sit there for a bit before moving again, causing the same result as the first scenario.

Also once we get pictures, can get get a pic of the enemy tank position?

setting well aside the fact that i really really really really really really passionately feel that stopping movement in a wide open field to get out of a vehicle and hoof it whist being schwacked by 120mm shells and running oh-so-slowly to a place of limited tactical significance exhausted as well as under strength is a Poor Life Choice, Ace just looked it up and while Russian BTRs get smoke, Ukranian ones apparently do not.

as far as tank positions, here's Ace's extrapolation based on the casualties we've taken so far:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

They can make black smoke.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Willie Tomg posted:

setting well aside the fact that i really really really really really really passionately feel that stopping movement in a wide open field to get out of a vehicle and hoof it whist being schwacked by 120mm shells and running oh-so-slowly to a place of limited tactical significance exhausted as well as under strength is a Poor Life Choice, Ace just looked it up and while Russian BTRs get smoke, Ukranian ones apparently do not.

as far as tank positions, here's Ace's extrapolation based on the casualties we've taken so far:

They are hosed no matter what. If we create more targets at least some might get into cover before they all die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Their only asset right now is movement. Dismounting troops will get caught in secondary explosions. 1st Co consensus is that we'd rather 1st platoon go down swinging and maybe making that goddamned tank miss a shot, maybe-but-probably-not, than have half a squad collapse into half moon while what's left of the rest of the company displaces to a more commonsensical route.

• Locked thread