Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

The idea that there wouldn't be a line of countries and politicians absolutely happy to gently caress with the UK provided they get something out of it is absolutely laughable.

What could they get out of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Spangly A posted:

I don't disagree with any of this but the EU would have absolutely no qualms about interfering with another country. It interferes, continuously, in any EU government that attempts to elect against austerity. The idea that there wouldn't be a line of countries and politicians absolutely happy to gently caress with the UK provided they get something out of it is absolutely laughable.

the powers the EU has there is well-established, namely that the governments that are "elected against austerity" need EU financial assistance more than they oppose austerity

against the UK, well, people keep talking about passporting rights for a reason. but that's more for London, not Edinburgh.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Pissflaps posted:

What could they get out of it?

Catalonia.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ronya posted:

the powers the EU has there is well-established, namely that the governments that are "elected against austerity" need EU financial assistance more than they oppose austerity

Quite. Capital as the monopoly of force is wonderfully effective. I'm not arguing that it's at all likely for the EU to set up camp in Edinburgh for formal negotiations. I'm saying that diplomatically upsetting the UK will be rather low on the list of concerns, should Scotland find something interesting to offer.

ronya posted:

Catalonia.

las malvinas

Well on that I'd have no idea. It'd probably not be a reasonable list of demands, and unless they dam up to the faroes they've not got anything essential to contribute to the EU until oil recovers, but I'm not well-versed in Scottish natural resources.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Zohar posted:

"we don't need to punch above our weight because our weight is substantial enough already".

Theresa Kang over here.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So Jess Phillips has reneged on her threat to quit the party, but she still hates Corbyn and plans to campaign under a banner of 'vote for me personally, my party is rubbish and will lose'.

Naturally her position of hating the Labour membership and leadership and campaigning on a personal manifesto is not in any way incompatible with being the Labour candidate. How dare anybody consider deselecting her and forcing her to stand as an independent.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Rakosi posted:

They can put out feelers as much as they want to but the EU has no legal capacity to sit down at the table and discuss membership with non-independent states. It would be a violation of the UK, diplomatically and politically, for the EU to try to pry from it members like Scotland. It would be borderline hostile interference in the integrity of another country.

Likewise, Scottish ministers can tweet EU/EP ministers as much as they want but it means wank all.
It'd be awesome if the EU just flat out ignored England and negotiated directly with Scotland. I mean what the gently caress is a modern day English government going to do? Run to the Telegraph and write aggressively worded diatribes against it?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Spangly A posted:

Quite. Capital as the monopoly of force is wonderfully effective...

well - it isn't a monopoly, is it? Countries always have a host of options. They could borrow on their own credit - we don't live in Bretton Woods any more; international flows are not primarily mediated by state actors. Oddly enough, it turns out that EU or IMF lending are often the best terms they can get, and potential lenders all seem curiously skeptical. Come on, we only defaulted once... a capitalist conspiracy, I'm sure. Being elected means that people have to believe what you say.

They could even simply refuse to borrow, as Malaysia did during the 1997 crisis. Defy Brussels! Wave a middle finger at the IMF! But whoops, Malaysia had a fiscal surplus in 1997. Do you know who doesn't have fiscal surpluses and - more importantly - regards not running a structural deficit to be akin to illegitimate tyranny?

Or they could default again! Really stick it to all these dirty German bankers. Panic in Frankfurt, chaos in Zurich. Let the Germans bail out the Germans, and the French bail out the French. And then lend us money again, of course. What do you mean that they won't?

The sins of the Troika are many, but much stems from being unwilling to govern Greece rather than being too willing to do so.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gorn Myson posted:

It'd be awesome if the EU just flat out ignored England and negotiated directly with Scotland. I mean what the gently caress is a modern day English government going to do? Run to the Telegraph and write aggressively worded diatribes against it?

I don't think this is likely it just sounds like a Scottish Nationalist's wet dream.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Gorn Myson posted:

Some countries would consider this fantasy scenario an act of aggression? There is international law and precedent which forbids interference in the integral makeup of countries. Of course this isn't fairly acknowledged for all countries, but the UK is not a middle eastern dictatorship run by a despot and no one, not even the EU, would get away with that kind of behaviour unscathed.

The UK Government speaks for all citizens of the UK and it is fantasy/sour grapes for anyone to try tack a rhetorical "but..." on to the end of that statement.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Gorn Myson posted:

Westminster probably can't do much, but let's be clear here, this is not the former Yugoslavia and the quality of disparate nationhoods has not been reinforced by genocidal militias and rape camps

Scottish nationalism is just not very fervent for the median Scottish person and the threat of a substantive increase in taxes to cover the adjustment costs of an unfriendly secession, or the spectre of unemployment from economic disruption for a decade or so due to disputed control or applicable law over assets, would be sufficient to extinguish any hope of a 50%+1 majority at the ballot box

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The EU are going to hire Big Sam to tap Scotland up.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I feel that May will not have her Art 50 by March next year - I'm not certain but my gut feeling is 2:1 odds that it will have to be postponed due to departmental delays

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rakosi posted:

It would be borderline hostile interference in the integrity of another country.
Does the UK have much of that?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Rakosi posted:

Some countries would consider this fantasy scenario an act of aggression? There is international law and precedent which forbids interference in the integral makeup of countries. Of course this isn't fairly acknowledged for all countries, but the UK is not a middle eastern dictatorship run by a despot and no one, not even the EU, would get away with that kind of behaviour unscathed.

The UK Government speaks for all citizens of the UK and it is fantasy/sour grapes for anyone to try tack a rhetorical "but..." on to the end of that statement.
Its the English government mate. Just look at how many of its members cowardly ducked out of the repercussions of the Brexit vote the second it happened. At most, the biggest threat they will throw at the EU is that Premier League sides will valiantly boycott the Champions and Europa League tournaments.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ronya posted:

I feel that May will not have her Art 50 by March next year - I'm not certain but my gut feeling is 2:1 odds that it will have to be postponed due to departmental delays

I'm not entirely sure the plan isn't honestly to kick the can until the next election. I mean, christ, that's what everyone does.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

ronya posted:

Agreed. I think May is going to look for excuses to kick this further and further down the road - be it the legal challenge, or disputes over the role of the Scottish Parliament, etc. I don't think this is just 'hope' on my part - I think its actually the probable outcome.

I also agree with Spangly - the EU (with the exception of a few fringe voices in the Parliament, and a couple in the Commission) is not going to encourage the active breakup of the UK - that would be economically disruptive and politically destabilising for the wider continent: the Council wants to minimise the fallout and disruption from Brexit (though without budging on principles like freedom of movement). That said, they will certainly allow junior ministers to engage in informal talks/lunch meetings (which will give the SNP something to crow about), and will not be too concerned about hurting British pride.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Gorn Myson posted:

Why would the EU want to do this? This is something that simply wouldn't happen.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

StoneOfShame posted:

Why would the EU want to do this? This is something that simply wouldn't happen.
They should definitely do this. Cowardice is the main theme running through modern day English politics, so they could totally get away with it too.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I am a little concerned by the possibility that nothing sufficiently plausible crops up for May to shift the blame towards, and so March arrives and the perm secs are screaming and May invokes 50 anyway

and then nothing happens until the end of 2017 because continental elections, and then negotiations drag out until 2020 at minimum because those two-year estimates are the low end of things, and then a new election fails to obtain a mandate for any particular style of Brexit (if any). Again.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I think once 50 is invoked we are on the rails for a max 2 years, it can't be extended past that without unanimous approval.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

CoolCab posted:

I think once 50 is invoked we are on the rails for a max 2 years, it can't be extended past that without unanimous approval.

Yes - for that reason a lot of the back-of-the-envelope projections of how long it actually takes to spin up a human bureaucracy of hundreds of thousands of people towards grappling with EU treaties were conveniently set at two years

those are the low end of estimates, however - you're supposed to have your goals and factfinding in order and then have two years of hammering out disagreements, not two years of figuring out what you even actually want whilst juncker drums his fingers on the table. the goal-formation and factfinding would probably take more than two years.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

those are the low end of estimates, however - you're supposed to have your goals and factfinding in order and then have two years of hammering out disagreements, not two years of figuring out what you even actually want whilst juncker drums his fingers on the table. the goal-formation and factfinding would probably take more than two years.

more Remoaner lies talking down are grate nation

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

It would sure be a shame if this level of hubris ended up biting them on the rear end

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

baka kaba posted:

more Remoaner lies talking down are grate nation

:byodood: You lost just get over it

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I see people have been reading BBC top-rated comments again. I always preferred "Remainiac", personally.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

jabby posted:

So Jess Phillips has reneged on her threat to quit the party, but she still hates Corbyn and plans to campaign under a banner of 'vote for me personally, my party is rubbish and will lose'.

Naturally her position of hating the Labour membership and leadership and campaigning on a personal manifesto is not in any way incompatible with being the Labour candidate. How dare anybody consider deselecting her and forcing her to stand as an independent.

So if she wins she can declare it a mandate independent of the Labour Party, despite using Labour Party money, local Labour Party footsoldiers, the Labour Party name recognition and taking up the Labour Party electoral slot.

That arrangement would obviously put her in a great position personally but it's just so ridiculous. It makes her look a bit thick honestly.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Will labour be able to cope with an MP that intends to consistently vote in defiance of the party leadership?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dunno, let's deselect 'em so we don't have to find out.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

hard brexit

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Pissflaps posted:

Will labour be able to cope with an MP that intends to consistently vote in defiance of the party leadership?

That very obviously depends what they're defying the leadership on doesn't it. If the MP is better representing the majority view of the party membership and the stated goals of the party than the leadership is then it's grand.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Looke posted:

hard brexit

Phwoar.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Dunno, let's deselect 'em so we don't have to find out.

Trap sprung

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Looke posted:

hard brexit

Are the Chuckles ill?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Trap sprung

No see I get what he's trying to insinuate but the key difference is that currently the leadership is good whereas before the leadership was bad so now it's bad to oppose it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vitamin P posted:

That very obviously depends what they're defying the leadership on doesn't it. If the MP is better representing the majority view of the party membership and the stated goals of the party than the leadership is then it's grand.

I'd go even further. So long as the MP represents the majority view of their constituency membership, it's fine. So if the people of Birmingham Labour Party want to keep Jess Phillips then so be it. If however they decide she is no longer serving them then obviously they'd be well within their right to look into replacing her as their candidate in 2020.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

JFairfax posted:

Are the Chuckles ill?

they're supposed to be frankencucks

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Looke posted:

hard brexit

*in 5 months time* oh... err... this has never happened to me before I swear...

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

I'd go even further. So long as the MP represents the majority view of their constituency membership, it's fine. So if the people of Birmingham Labour Party want to keep Jess Phillips then so be it. If however they decide she is no longer serving them then obviously they'd be well within their right to look into replacing her as their candidate in 2020.

An interesting perspective on the role and purpose of a member of parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pesmerga posted:

Theresa May isn't a very good interviewee - watching her on Marr, she always sounds incredibly nervous.

Well she knows she's going to be the one that destroys the UK.

She's been warned by the president of the United States, multiple EU leaders and multiple domestic and foreign corporations that Brexit is going to be disastrous.

She knows it, we know it. Apparently not doing it is really not an option. Roll on March and the start of the Brexitolypse. What is still unknown is how fast the cracks will start to show. Slow enough and they might be able to get away with it and leave it to whoever is in power in 10 years to deal with.

• Locked thread