Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Pancakes posted:

The Dodgers' have no direct benefit to play for tomorrow and have the NLDS to look forward to. In theory they should just throw out scrubs tomorrow. However, I'm REALLY hoping spite/divisional rivalry drives them. A Giants loss and Cardinals win forces a game 163.

I have no idea where you got telling me about the dodgers has relevance to my question about the red sox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Red Sox and Indians are tied for wins, Red Sox have #2 seed tiebreaker. But Cleveland has an extra game to play. Even if Red Sox win tomorrow they could be #3 seed instead if Cleveland wins out. So it depends how much the Sox/Indians care I guess.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
It would be great if the Dodgers show up today. I want as little "Even Year Bull poo poo" momentum as possible.

!!ヽ(゚д゚ヽ)(ノ゚д゚)ノ!!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If the Braves are gonna have an awful season it's at least cool that they can ruin someone else's

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
And the Mariners season is over. Took it to 161 but couldn't hang on until the last day. How long until April??

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

The good:

Robinson Cano has been unbelievable this season, especially this last week. Hopefully Cruz sticks around because this is the best the M's have been in a long time!

The Jays are going to some form of post season play

I don't have to choose who to cheer for if it ended up being Jays vs. Ms

The bad:

The Mariners are out

The Jays have not been stellar lately and really need a kick in the rear end if they're to have any chance in the post season

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Mariners game tonight was a perfect encapsulation of the extreme highs and lows of the entire season, complete with several failures to get things done when they had a chance to blow it open.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Cardinals have no one to blame but themselves for the position they're in. Continually dropping games to a bad Reds team earns you no sympathy.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

Cardinals have no one to blame but themselves for the position they're in. Continually dropping games to a bad Reds team earns you no sympathy.

True. Still, when 85-86 wins is a down year where you develop your new talent and don't make any significant deals at the trade deadline no one's going to have much sympathy. They're playing a meaningful Game 162; it's hard to complain about that.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

the cards were just an odd team this year, bad baserunning, bad defense, bad at home, good at dingers, good at getting injured. it will be interesting to see what they do this offseason.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
If I"m correct, BAL, TOR, and SF need to lose today and STL and DET (today and tomorrow in the make up game) need to win for maximum possible hilarity tomorrow, right?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Trout is at 29hr, 29sb, 99rbi so if he doesn't get one of each today he can kiss the MVP goodbye because voters are morons.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

bad boy in the boy band posted:

If I"m correct, BAL, TOR, and SF need to lose today and STL and DET (today and tomorrow in the make up game) need to win for maximum possible hilarity tomorrow, right?

That'll do it. And as long as Detroit gets those two wins, there's guaranteed to be at least one tiebreaker game because the Orioles and Blue Jays have the same record.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Artix posted:

That'll do it. And as long as Detroit gets those two wins, there's guaranteed to be at least one tiebreaker game because the Orioles and Blue Jays have the same record.

I don't think this is right. If TOR and BAL both win then Detroit is behind them no matter what. I'm pretty sure in the event of a tie between two teams that have otherwise clinched the WC slot they just have their records determine who has the home field advantage, they don't make them play a Game 163 for it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Pancakes posted:

I don't think this is right. If TOR and BAL both win then Detroit is behind them no matter what. I'm pretty sure in the event of a tie between two teams that have otherwise clinched the WC slot they just have their records determine who has the home field advantage, they don't make them play a Game 163 for it.

If TOR and BAL both win today then Detroit is eliminated. If Detroit loses either today or tomorrow then they are eliminated.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
TOR is probably gonna lose. They're up against Price, the Red Sox are hot, the Jays are cold and they're in Fenway.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
So if Cardinals Devil Magic prevails today and we force a Game 163, who starts it? It'd be Mike Leake's turn but that thought makes me nauseous. Another all-hands-on-deck game like yesterday? Game by committee with Leake, Weaver and Garcia? Reyes on short rest? It'd be either Shark on normal rest or Cueto on short rest for the Giants, right?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Braves resigned Jim Johnson for '17 and '18. Still surprised he didn't get moved at the deadline.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Ad in the Boston Globe today

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

*in an MLBPA voice* ah, but his name was on the Mitchell report

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
People like him so peds don't matter

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Boston makes it to the World Series then loses because they put Ortiz in the field.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
So if the Giants lose and Cards win today who's likely to start game 163 tomorrow? Cueto v Leake maybe?

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

I still don't understand how everyone in the Mitchell report was vilified, but Ortiz got a pass on the whole thing. A-Rod was way cooler anyway.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there's only one october

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Julio Cruz posted:

So if the Giants lose and Cards win today who's likely to start game 163 tomorrow? Cueto v Leake maybe?

I was just wondering that earlier:

Pancakes posted:

So if Cardinals Devil Magic prevails today and we force a Game 163, who starts it? It'd be Mike Leake's turn but that thought makes me nauseous. Another all-hands-on-deck game like yesterday? Game by committee with Leake, Weaver and Garcia? Reyes on short rest? It'd be either Shark on normal rest or Cueto on short rest for the Giants, right?

The usual rotation would be Shark versus Leake, I'm pretty sure. I'd expect the Giants to throw Cueto on short rest. Cardinals would probably have Leake start and then go to Garcia or Reyes in long relief.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Julio Cruz posted:

I thought I read that Samardzija was going to 163 if it happens

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

I still don't understand how everyone in the Mitchell report was vilified, but Ortiz got a pass on the whole thing. A-Rod was way cooler anyway.

you can get away with literally anything if the right people like you.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Pancakes posted:

I was just wondering that earlier:

The usual rotation would be Shark versus Leake, I'm pretty sure. I'd expect the Giants to throw Cueto on short rest. Cardinals would probably have Leake start and then go to Garcia or Reyes in long relief.

No need to waste Cueto if he is gonna pitch in the Wild Card game.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

I was expecting Bumgarner in the WC game. I think with days off it'd be normal rest for him.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pancakes posted:

I was expecting Bumgarner in the WC game. I think with days off it'd be normal rest for him.

How do you not throw your #1 guy in a do or die game?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Sox officially gonna retire papis number

I'm not crying shut up

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bad boy in the boy band posted:

How do you not throw your #1 guy in a do or die game?

I'm confused by your question. Are you asking why the Giants wouldn't throw Bumgarner in a potential Game 163 or do you consider Cueto the #1? Bumgarner would be on short rest for a Game 163, I'm pretty sure. Didn't he last pitch on Friday?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mike_V posted:

Keeping Cueto for a potential WC game is more of a waste IMO, since they've got 2 win-or-go-home games before they can even think about getting on the plane to NY.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Sorry, I meant that the Cardinals are most likely running out Mike loving Leake (if they get to Game 163) so there's no need for the Giants to worry about losing the game.

EDIT: Looks like it won't matter since the Dodgers seem content to lay down and die to the Giants. I hope they meet in the NLCS and the Giants sweep them.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 2, 2016

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

canadianclassic posted:

Robinson Cano has been unbelievable this season, especially this last week.

He's been unbelievable his entire career minus 2008 and like the first two months last season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

I'm pretty sure he wasn't in the Mitchell Report. However he was one of the guys who supposedly tested positive when MLB did a test of everyone to determine what percentage of players were using. That list was confidential but several names leaked including him and A-Rod.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mike_V posted:

EDIT: Looks like it won't matter since the Dodgers seem content to lay down and die to the Giants. I hope they meet in the NLCS and the Giants sweep them.

This would mean the Cubs losing in the LDS to the Giants which I am 100% down for.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He's been unbelievable his entire career minus 2008 and like the first two months last season.

No argument from me! I just meant in the context of last season when he was all sick, dying, and still well above average

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Betting on an O's/Toronto wildcard game at this point.

Exciting

• Locked thread