Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Saying "Well actually, the Blue Jays are in the playoffs" is dumb, because the Wild Card game is a play-in game for the actual tournament, the same way a Game 163 is. And it's especially apparent with both Wild Card games having teams with identical records.

Actually the play in game is part of the post season tournament. Game 163s are part of the regular season. Just because this would have been a game 163 years ago doesn't change that its a playoff game.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Ummm...if they weren't postseason games why would they be selling these shirts and hats? :colbert:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm just happy my avatar is relevant for a few more days

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

"Made for the first week of October" doesn't have the same ring to it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Would you like some of these?

Most of them went to Africa as foreign aid but I'm sure there are still a few truckloads of them around for cheap.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Popete posted:

The Rangers will win the World Series after winning every post season game by 1 run.

I can't think of anything I want more in the world

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I would love it, but my heart wouldn't make it past the ALCS. The title could be hoisted over my corpse.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Would have been nice for the Dodgers to not end the season with a giant wet fart.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Mark Trumbo is the first player ever to hit at least 47 home runs and to be worth no more than 1.7 WAR.

Is he that bad defensively or does he strike out that much?

I also am sorta torn because I find myself feeling confident in the Tribe despite how good Texas is, which either means they're gonna blow it against Boston, or this is finally the year. I seriously don't know. Our bullpen might be the best in the AL, so we definitely have a shot. How worried should I be about Boston?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 3, 2016

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I also am sorta torn because I find myself feeling confident in the Tribe despite how good Texas is, which either means they're gonna blow it against Boston, or this is finally the year. I seriously don't know. Our bullpen might be the best in the AL, so we definitely have a shot. How worried should I be about Boston?

It's the playoffs, everyone in it has a real shot. Even if the Twins or the Braves made it somehow they'd have a nonzero chance to win it all

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

ScottyJSno posted:

Sorry for the cross post from the GDT but I NEED AN ANSWER!

Can someone explain how the Cardinals had such a good season with a losing record at home?

The impish peddler who sold them a 2013 season where they hit .330 with RISP came knocking and decided to collect his due.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Both. He struck out 169 times against 51 walks so his OBP was only .317 and his OPS a very SLG-heavy .852. In the field he was worth -2 defensive WAR.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

iKickDogs posted:

Curtis Granderson hit a home run today. It was his 30th. He has 56 RBI.

If he doesn't drive in four more runs, he'll be the first player to hit 30 or more home runs while driving in fewer than 60 runs. The lowest RBI total for a player with at least 30 home runs is 64 (Rob Deer '92, Felix Mantilla '64).

Granderson finished with 30 HR and 59 RBI. Good job?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spoeank posted:

I'm just happy my avatar is relevant for a few more days

I mean even disregarding EYBS Bumgarner is the anti-Kershaw in that regardless of his regular season performance, come the postseason he reaches pitching nirvana and is completely unstoppable. I'm already assuming it'll be the Giants in the NLDS with us and if the Mets manage to win the WC I'll be stunned.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Kyle Hendricks in 2016 is one of only four pitchers in the last century to have at least 30 starts in a season and not ever give up more than 4 earned runs in any of them.

And any minuscule chance he had of winning the Cy Young was wiped away today because he inflated his ERA back above 2 thanks to a Soler boggle and an bullshit squeeze job. :v:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 3, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

iKickDogs posted:

Granderson finished with 30 HR and 59 RBI. Good job?

.871 OPS with bases empty, .665 with men on, .477 with RISP. If being clutch were a real thing, he would be the least clutch player in the league.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

shadok posted:

Would you like some of these?

Most of them went to Africa as foreign aid but I'm sure there are still a few truckloads of them around for cheap.
Who the hell buys a generic 'Postseason' shirt

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fans expecting to lose the Wild Card game I guess

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

hypothetically, let's say a very sweet mom who doesn't know a lot about sports and doesn't realize that the postseason shirt is either going to be hilariously unnecessary or a bitter artifact of disappointment

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They should make "The regular season is ours" shirts to sell in spring.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I'm sure there are Cards fans out there that own 14 Postseason 20__ shirts or however many they've been to since 2000.

edit: Since Jered Weaver had to leave his last start early with back tightness, his start today was questionable. He ended up not playing, so he possibly pitched his last pitch as an Angel (or in MLB) last week. :smith:

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 3, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

FlamingLiberal posted:

I pledged to never buy any Cubs "Postseason/Division Champ/NL Champ" merchandise unless they also win the World Series because I got burned in 1998 when I was 16 buying Cubs Wild Card poo poo that I threw out the day after the Braves swept them

My father in law from Georgia sent me a White Sox World Champs hat and shirt after they won and has been apologetic to this day because he somehow didn't understand that you don't automatically root for every local team despite being a rabid FSU fan who can't bear the sight of Florida merchandise

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 3, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The best part of "Dodgers Fear Cardinals" logic is that they blow through both Giants and Mets and Cubs as if it's nothing.

I know every year has it's retirements and departures, but losing Ortiz and A-Rod and Jose and Vin in one season is a bit shocking, let alone the assorted others.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Good Dog posted:

(or in MLB)

I'm sure the Twins will be in the market for a soft-throwing veteran, as per usual.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FlamingLiberal posted:

Toronto sports fans.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Really there's only one postseason shirt you need

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Craptacular! posted:

The best part of "Dodgers Fear Cardinals" logic is that they blow through both Giants and Mets and Cubs as if it's nothing.

I know every year has it's retirements and departures, but losing Ortiz and A-Rod and Jose and Vin in one season is a bit shocking, let alone the assorted others.

And possibly Ryan Howard. I hope some AL team gives him a shot as dh.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
as happy as I am with Daniel Murphy NOT winning the batting title, boo Walt Weiss for sitting LeMahieu in order to win it for him

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Nards Pan posted:

And possibly Ryan Howard. I hope some AL team gives him a shot as dh.

Even just offensively he's been below replacement level the last 2 seasons. Personally I think he's done.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am pretty surprised Howard's career WAR is 14.9. That's a season and a half of troutian baseball.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

rickiep00h posted:

I'm sure the Twins will be in the market for a soft-throwing veteran, as per usual.

I could very easily see Weaver being the same type as Haren, saying that unless he gets a SoCal team he'll retire. I don't remember the circumstances with Haren or if he was a free agent or just 1 year left on his deal but he ended up playing for the Marlins and Cubs his last year.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Dear Walt Weiss:

:byewhore:

Give me: Bud Black, Ron Wotus, or Dave Martinez please.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Good Dog posted:

I'm sure there are Cards fans out there that own 14 Postseason 20__ shirts or however many they've been to since 2000.

edit: Since Jered Weaver had to leave his last start early with back tightness, his start today was questionable. He ended up not playing, so he possibly pitched his last pitch as an Angel (or in MLB) last week. :smith:

No more 78 mph fastballs in Anaheim I guess

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

If you're the Blue Jays, who do you start in the WC game tomorrow? I say Liriano since the O's suck against lefties, keep Stro in the pen as a backup.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hmm... I refuse to jump on the Cubs bandwagon because lolCubs. Guess I'll go with Toronto or Baltimore.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The Berzerker posted:

If you're the Blue Jays, who do you start in the WC game tomorrow? I say Liriano since the O's suck against lefties, keep Stro in the pen as a backup.

Liriano has been quite good for Toronto this year. I'm happy to have him start.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

Exactly my thoughts.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

artificially stocked lake posted:

Hmm... I refuse to jump on the Cubs bandwagon because lolCubs. Guess I'll go with Toronto or Baltimore.

The other NLDS teams could be The Home for Blind Amputees, The Elderly Nun Hospice, and a team consisting of 25 kids who always get picked last on the playground, and I still would be worried the Cubs would gently caress it up.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Start Liriano for the Splits, but also because Stroman getting annihilated in the wildcard game would be heart breaking and we have to avoid it. If Liriano gets killed then eh its just Liriano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

https://twitter.com/SNBarryDavis/status/782706610540056576

Liriano went 6.1IP 6H 0R 1BB 10SO against the Orioles one week ago. I pick him!

• Locked thread