Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Trout is at 29hr, 29sb, 99rbi so if he doesn't get one of each today he can kiss the MVP goodbye because voters are morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I'm sure there are Cards fans out there that own 14 Postseason 20__ shirts or however many they've been to since 2000.

edit: Since Jered Weaver had to leave his last start early with back tightness, his start today was questionable. He ended up not playing, so he possibly pitched his last pitch as an Angel (or in MLB) last week. :smith:

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 3, 2016

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

rickiep00h posted:

I'm sure the Twins will be in the market for a soft-throwing veteran, as per usual.

I could very easily see Weaver being the same type as Haren, saying that unless he gets a SoCal team he'll retire. I don't remember the circumstances with Haren or if he was a free agent or just 1 year left on his deal but he ended up playing for the Marlins and Cubs his last year.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/783056215135907840

Hopefully he is getting a gig somewhere else or this is a mutual thing? It seemed like he did a good job and was well liked among the players.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

corn on the cop posted:

Optimal
Indians

Would be Cool
Blue Jays
Rangers
Dodgers
Nationals

I'll survive
Cubs

Meteor
Red Sox

Heat Death of the Universe
Giants

If I wasn't on something awful I think this would be my rooting order as well. But since I am on something awful and read this thread, I'm knocking the Cubs further down the list. And that's with 2 of my team's biggest rivals already ahead of them.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Ambassador of Funk posted:

That going to include 2012 where he looked so toast that starting BARRY "loving BARRY ZITO" ZITO was perfable in the NLCS. That is how EYBS works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv_v7V22JrM

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

lol, what is this even referencing?

I didn't watch all of the debate, but I assume that Hillary Clinton said something about a "gunshow loophole", where private sellers at gunshows can sell firearms without needing background checks or something like that? I don't know how much of that is true or if it varies by state, but he meant loophole and not poophole.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I am both surprised at how big alot of the team's feet are (though we only see the biggest sizes I assume) and that the biggest is a 14.

Obligatory reminder that Josh Hamilton wears size 19s.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Your 2016 ZAUN leaders: (R+RBI-HR)/GP (I assumed this but they didn't include parenthesis for order of operations)

1.300 Arenado
1.291 Betts
1.220 Trout
1.187 Donaldson
1.187 Bryant
1.176 Murphy
1.165 Bogaerts
1.150 Encarnacion
1.147 Blackmon
1.124 Kinsler

Min. 100 Games Played

Lot of good hitters here, I think Zaun is on to something.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

rickiep00h posted:

Now do it according to how it should have been calculated as it was written, R + RBI - (HR/G). This is why order of operations is important, kids.

I didn't bother because hr/g is going to be like .2 to .25 for alot of the top guys and runs and RBIs are over 100 so it'd basically just be r+rbi.

I started thinking of how to include park factors but I stopped because gently caress that. I don't think there is a table on bbref that includes park factor per player, they'll be in the .9-1.1 range. I was gonna try to manipulate the data for Zaun+ to make all the blue jays hitters (or at least Donaldson) the best but :effort:.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Hey I'm heading out to Dodgers Stadium for game 4 and (potentially) 5 of the NLCS. I've never been before and I'm looking forward to it. We're sitting in the bleachers. Anyone who has been before, any tips to make things smooth/fun, and are Dodgers fans relatively friendly?

Leave an hour or two earlier than you think you'd need to and prepare for it to take an hour longer than you'd think to get home (or out of the parking lot).

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Poque posted:

complaining about cubsposting is now more annoying than cubsposting. congratulations, please see thread title

Nope.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Statchat question: Does pitchFX include time between pitches/pickoff attempts? I assume that with all statcast stuff, the data is timestamped? Has anyone done any research regarding time between pitches as it relates to ERA or BABIP? Announcers always go on and on about pitchers that work quickly or work slowly and how fast working pitchers keeps the defense on its toes. Does this show up at all or is it just repeated bullshit? I assume that whatever pace a pitcher pitches at is the optimum for them in terms of being comfortable and primed to pitch, but is that true for the defense as well?

Maybe someone can do this work in between Pedro Baez pitches pickoff attempts?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

SourKraut posted:

Right now it's great, but when players like Bryant hit Super Twos, you start paying a huge arbitration rates the 3rd or 4th year. So by 2019, we could be looking at a massive payroll.

You never need to worry about paying a player a fraction of what hes worth. If you want to worry about an extension to avoid losing your players in FIVE YEARS that's fine, but the payroll is not going to be massive because you're stuck paying players 60% of what they would get on the open market. Outside of Heyward and Lester, you've got basically no money on the books after 2019 (which is already a long time away by baseball standards). If you justify Heyward's and Lester's contracts by offsetting the fact you're paying Rizzo less than a third of what he's worth, even better.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Spoeank posted:

All this would be solved if we just gave the title to the team with the greatest run differential

Does this mean you're allowed to run up the score even in blowings since run differential matters? No more defensive indifference? No more position players pitching? I think we need to rethink this...

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

CubsWoo posted:

Maybe It's A Bad Idea To Send Out Pictures Of Injuries Where The Public And The Other Team Can View Them

Maybe in a contact sport, but what do you think the Cubs are going to do with this information? They already know he sprained his ankle last week. Pitch him inside? Try to hit balls in his direction? Takeout slides at second base?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

DeepDickPizza posted:

I dunno. But Craig Calcaterra was nice enough to tweet out a saved picture of it so that we can continue speculation on whether or not Kipnis is going to be playing on a totally hosed ankle.

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/790967270541373441

Olney says these pics are from the day they clinched the ALCS and then from 2 days ago. Seems like the type of thing that'd get a little bit better every day.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 25, 2016

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

CubsWoo posted:

N: Santana will probably be starting in left for Cleveland tonight with Napoli at 1B

V: Travis Wood has played more LF than Santana in their respective careers, so take all the things people have said about Schwarber's bad defense and just find/replace Santana

So many bad body catchers that can't catch anymore mentioned in one post its amazing.

Looking at bbref, I didn't realize Napoli hasn't caught a single inning since 2012. Santana caught 10 games in 2013.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Can I get an update on the Indians starting lineup and a dozen posters critiquing the intricacies of a single game's batting order please? Which lineup will theoretically produce .05 more runs than any other over the course of this one game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Inspector_666 posted:

Uh, throwing back a HR ball isn't really something that only Cubs fans do.

Yeah but Cubs fans do it best because they get alot of practice.

• Locked thread