Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Mariners game tonight was a perfect encapsulation of the extreme highs and lows of the entire season, complete with several failures to get things done when they had a chance to blow it open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm from Cleveland, so I'm all in on the Indians.

Since it doesn't seem like many people on here are from Cleveland, here's my perspective on "Why haven't they gotten rid of racist as gently caress Chief Wahoo:"

The actual organization actually has been slowly removing him. He's off the batting helmet and two of the hats, replaced by the block C. I don't think he's anywhere on any of the permanent fixtures of the stadium (except possibly in historical places, like on the plaques in the Hall of Fame). He's not on the website.

He is all over the merchandise though. If you live in Cleveland, he is all over everything, so you never really think of him as being anything other than Chief Wahoo, beloved symbol of the Indians. I live in Seattle now and most people I see wearing Indians hats are C hats, because once you're away long enough, you realize how hosed up he is.

At the Cleveland Historical Society, they have the giant Chief Wahoo that used to be at the old stadium with two statements under him. One is from Native Americans pointing out that it is a racist caricature of real people who have been treated horribly. The other statement reflects my mother's opinion "gently caress you, I grew up with him and I like him." The last game I was at in Cleveland, I saw a bunch of KEEP THE CHIEF shirts, worn by people of every race. It is a big stupid blind spot of people mixed with nostalgia.

The team would probably be happy to be rid of him, but they don't want to just get rid of it and make people dig their heels in more, so they're doing it slowly, while sadly being willing to collect money in the mean time. I'm looking forward to the day he's gone and I refuse to buy anything with him on it.

I can't see the name changing anytime in my lifetime.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Mike Napoli has been really big as a personality in Cleveland. Party at Napoli's shirts are everywhere. Francisco Lindor is a lot of fun. Kluber's nickname is Klubot because he takes 'stoic baseball man' to a comedic extreme without being a "Don't look at me" rear end in a top hat. Tyler Naquin's pose after the inside the park home run is everywhere. The team isn't boring if you follow them, but I can see it fading back if you aren't.

I understand that while the in stadium attendance is really bad, the TV ratings are really good. Northeast Ohio is very spread out and lots of it isn't very wealthy and going out to a bunch of regular season games could be prohibitive for a lot of people. I'd be curious about how many of the average 20K end up being the same people every game and how much it is people coming out for their 1 game a year.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Also I just want to reiterate that it's really super awesome that a Giants pitcher and a Marlins pitcher gave up runs to Royals hitters in the ASG that gave the Indians HFA over the Cubs. Super awesome!

Kluber got the win for the AL! Makes it completely legit!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Only 6 teams in the NL were .500 or higher versus 10 for the AL. Are the good teams in the NL just that great or are the bad teams just that bad?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

IcePhoenix posted:

Probably related to NL teams not carrying a DH, their DHs had an OPS like 100 points lower than AL DHs.

That would only account for the Interleague games held in AL parks. Most of the NL teams schedules are played with NL rules, the difference in record seems to be too big for it to just be the AL teams killing NL teams in AL parks.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think the Indians went all season (most?) without a lefty in the pen until Miller, which was a big deal for a while until it worked out. I'd take the main 4 guys and the three Good Enoughs over a LOOGY.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

CubsWoo posted:

Most news about him is that he will be on a pitch count of ~70 if he comes into the game and will not throw his curveball. Earliest start would be Game 4 where the Indians would have Salazar, Merritt or Kluber on short rest.

On that note the Indians WS roster is final:

C Gomes
C Perez
1B Santana
1B Napoli
2B Kipnis
SS Lindor
3B Ramirez
UT Martinez
OF Crisp
OF Davis
OF Naquin
OF Chisenhall
OF Guyer

SP Kluber
SP Bauer
SP Tomlin
SP Merritt
SP Salazar
RP Clevinger
RP Manship
RP McAllister
RP Otero
RP Shaw
SU Miller
CL Allen

Cubs have said their roster will be final by the 10AM deadline.

I can't help but feel bad for Chris Gimenez, "Thanks for helping get us to the playoffs, we'd rather have the guy with a broken hand as the backup than you."

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If the Indians don't win, it'll feel a lot like the 2015 NBA Finals. It might not change the outcome, but the Indians with Carrasco and a fully healthy Salazar would certainly be a different Series.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, too bad their fans will still have an entitled stick up their butts because of the fake-Browns.

When I was at an Indians game in August, people were talking outside about how the Cavs won, the Indians were going to win, maybe the Browns would win. Then they stopped and agreed that maybe 8-8 is more realistic.

I'm rooting for 0-16 because it would be more magical.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Question for Cubs fans: If a ball hits the wall in the right field corner on the fly, is it foul?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wonder how much of a game changer a fully healthy Schwarber would have been.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If the Indians can get an early lead tonight, I can't see Francona even trying to get Tomlin past 3-4 innings, not with Salazar, Clevinger, Otero, Miller, and Allen all ready. Bauer was pretty good other than the one bad inning.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Rajai has been hitting so badly, that I prefer him as a late game pinch runner when a slow guy gets on base.

Santana is first because he has a great OBP and occasionally will hit leadoff dongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:cripes:

Cleveland lineup:
1. Carlos Santana, DH
2. Jason Kipnis, 2B
3. Francisco Lindor, SS
4. Mike Napoli, 1B
5. Jose Ramirez, 3B
6. Lonnie Chisenhall, RF
7. Rajai Davis, CF
8. Coco Crisp, LF
9. Roberto Perez, C
RHP Corey Kluber

Rajai in place of Naquin is a good sign.

Has there been any sports gossip about what the gently caress happened in the outfield last night?

• Locked thread