Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
It would be great if the Dodgers show up today. I want as little "Even Year Bull poo poo" momentum as possible.

!!ヽ(゚д゚ヽ)(ノ゚д゚)ノ!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Sorry for the cross post from the GDT but I NEED AN ANSWER!

Can someone explain how the Cardinals had such a good season with a losing record at home?

2016 Under .500 teams with a Winning record at home:
Milwaukee
Colorado
Chi White Sox

2016 Over .500 teams with a home Losing record:
St. Louis

Not the 2016 Attendance
total = 3,399,875
Per game= 42,498
NL rank 2nd of 15

St. Louis Home record and MLB rank at home->
2016 = 37-43 / 23rd
2015 = 55-26 / 1st (t)
2014 = 51-30 / 3rd
2013 = 54-27 / 2nd
2012 = 50-31/ 7th
2011 = 45-36 / 10th
2010 = 52-29 / 5th
2009 = 46-35 / 13th
2008 = 46-35 / 15th
2007 = 43-38 / 17th
2006 = 49-31 / 5th
2005 = 50-31 / 5th
2004 = 53-28 / 3rd
Newest Busch Opens

To show perspective this same feat has happen 4 times since 2004.
2015 Cleveland Indians
2012 Philadelphia Phillies (and this was .500 exactly team)
2009 Atlanta Braves

WHY? I don`t even like St. Louis. :wtc:

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I love this Cubs team. I love Cubs fans everywhere. 4 more wins!

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Tin foil hat time.

About this Schwarber thing.

Might Theo and Maddon be fakeing? Could it be a trick to force the Indians to put another hopefully worse left handed reliever on the play off roster? Is it possible that Schwarber was never going to be on the roster?

I am just asking questions…

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

CubsWoo posted:

Most news about him is that he will be on a pitch count of ~70 if he comes into the game and will not throw his curveball. Earliest start would be Game 4 where the Indians would have Salazar, Merritt or Kluber on short rest.

On that note the Indians WS roster is final:

C Gomes
C Perez
1B Santana
1B Napoli
2B Kipnis
SS Lindor
3B Ramirez
UT Martinez
OF Crisp
OF Davis
OF Naquin
OF Chisenhall
OF Guyer

SP Kluber
SP Bauer
SP Tomlin
SP Merritt
SP Salazar
RP Clevinger
RP Manship
RP McAllister
RP Otero
RP Shaw
SU Miller
CL Allen

Cubs have said their roster will be final by the 10AM deadline.

No new lefty pitching. Theo's and Maddon's plan failed! But what if it was reverse psychology? The Indians fell into the trap. Schwarber has them just were he wanted them. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

SharkTattoos posted:

No matter the eventual solution the ASG determinig homefield must go.

It should be monetarily incentivized to the players who get $xxxxx dollars to split with their charity for being elected, and $xxxxx more dollars for the winning team. HFA can be determined by a coinflip at halftime for all I care.

The Japanese Series is switched between leagues every year.

More hosed up then HFA is up until 2014 the NPB use their all-star series to determine the amateur draft order.

First some back ground on how the NPB draft works. The 1st round is the best. All the team simultaneously pick a player. If more then one team pick the same player they have lottery for who gets to draft said player. So the first round best prospect could go to the winner of the Championship or any team. If you lose the lottery you get to pick again, and repeat until all teams have a player.

For example this year the best prospect was a 22 year old College player named Seigi Tanaka. He is by all accounts pro-ready. He is also likely the opening day starter for the team that drafted him. He is a rival and the same age as Otani, though not nearly as freakish, so he went to college. He also flirted with coming to the MLB over the past few years. So he is really good.

5 teams picked him in the first round. The winner of the lottery pick was the SoftBank Hawks. A playoff team, and came in second by 2.5 game in the Pacific League. So in MLB terms imagine LAD won a lottery 1st round 1st pick in next year`s draft.

The record for the number of teams picking a player in the first round is 8 teams. This has happened twice with Hiedo Nomo and Hideo Koike.

From the second round on it is a normal serpentine draft. E.g. The last pick of the second round picks first in the third round and so on.

The order is determined by record. Up until 2014 the last place team in the league of the winner of the 2 game Japan-All-Star-Series would pick first followed by the last place team in the losing league, and then alternate leagues up the records. If the series is tied 1-1, run differential in the games is used. If still tied like it was in 2013, they flipped a coin. So in MLB terms the AL won the all star game so Minnesota would pick first and then the NL`s SD or Cincinnati (?).

But like I said that changed in 2014. It is now based on head to head record in inter-league play.

While seeming silly at first glance, it has some interesting strategy involved. Do you go after the heavy favorite player with low chances to win a large lotto group, or do you go after the #2 guy with better chances.

TLDR = Go Cubs Go

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 27, 2016

• Locked thread