Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I realize he's not particularly well-loved outside of the Cardinals but Matt Holliday had a moment last night. For context, the Cardinals announced earlier in the day that they'd decline their $17M option on him for next year, meaning that it's very likely he won't be back in St. Louis after more than 7 years, 6 post-season trips, 4 LCS's, 2 pennants and a World Series ring. He's played out the largest contract the Cardinals have ever awarded and is the rare large free-agent contract, particularly among those awarded to a player over 30, that isn't viewed as an overpay or failure. He'd been on the disabled list since early August when a HBP broke his thumb. In his first and possibly last plate appearance this season since being activated from the disabled list, this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw7cKnHUHUQ.This week has had a lot of really cinematic home runs and while this one wasn't nearly as emotional as the Gordon or Diaz ones it still got to me. For more on why Matt Holliday is underrated and the poster boy for the Hall of Very Good, you can read here: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-matt-holliday-st-louis-cardinals/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

patonthebach posted:

Can someone tell me if the red sox need to try to win tommorow for some kind of home field thing or will it be a throw away game?

The Dodgers' have no direct benefit to play for tomorrow and have the NLDS to look forward to. In theory they should just throw out scrubs tomorrow. However, I'm REALLY hoping spite/divisional rivalry drives them. A Giants loss and Cardinals win forces a game 163.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

Cardinals have no one to blame but themselves for the position they're in. Continually dropping games to a bad Reds team earns you no sympathy.

True. Still, when 85-86 wins is a down year where you develop your new talent and don't make any significant deals at the trade deadline no one's going to have much sympathy. They're playing a meaningful Game 162; it's hard to complain about that.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Artix posted:

That'll do it. And as long as Detroit gets those two wins, there's guaranteed to be at least one tiebreaker game because the Orioles and Blue Jays have the same record.

I don't think this is right. If TOR and BAL both win then Detroit is behind them no matter what. I'm pretty sure in the event of a tie between two teams that have otherwise clinched the WC slot they just have their records determine who has the home field advantage, they don't make them play a Game 163 for it.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
So if Cardinals Devil Magic prevails today and we force a Game 163, who starts it? It'd be Mike Leake's turn but that thought makes me nauseous. Another all-hands-on-deck game like yesterday? Game by committee with Leake, Weaver and Garcia? Reyes on short rest? It'd be either Shark on normal rest or Cueto on short rest for the Giants, right?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Julio Cruz posted:

So if the Giants lose and Cards win today who's likely to start game 163 tomorrow? Cueto v Leake maybe?

I was just wondering that earlier:

Pancakes posted:

So if Cardinals Devil Magic prevails today and we force a Game 163, who starts it? It'd be Mike Leake's turn but that thought makes me nauseous. Another all-hands-on-deck game like yesterday? Game by committee with Leake, Weaver and Garcia? Reyes on short rest? It'd be either Shark on normal rest or Cueto on short rest for the Giants, right?

The usual rotation would be Shark versus Leake, I'm pretty sure. I'd expect the Giants to throw Cueto on short rest. Cardinals would probably have Leake start and then go to Garcia or Reyes in long relief.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

No need to waste Cueto if he is gonna pitch in the Wild Card game.

I was expecting Bumgarner in the WC game. I think with days off it'd be normal rest for him.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bad boy in the boy band posted:

How do you not throw your #1 guy in a do or die game?

I'm confused by your question. Are you asking why the Giants wouldn't throw Bumgarner in a potential Game 163 or do you consider Cueto the #1? Bumgarner would be on short rest for a Game 163, I'm pretty sure. Didn't he last pitch on Friday?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Julio Cruz posted:

If anyone wants heaps and heaps of Cards fan salt, @BestFansStLouis delivers.

Please don't lump the SA Cards fans in with this bullshit. Hopefully we're tolerable most of the time.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

CubsWoo posted:

So if the Giants win the WCG will Cardinal fans root against

- The Giants for keeping them out of the playoffs this year
- The Cubs for (I actually don't understand why a fanbase that has seen 4 WS and two titles this century is so irrationally upset at the first good Cubs season in 70 years)
- The universe for allowing all those traders to leave hallowed Bush stadium

As a Cardinals fan my own rooting goes TEX (Beltran & Beltre) > CHI (let my dad see a championship balanced with some divisional spite) > TOR (bunch of awesome guys) > Everyone else > Giants (tired of being bounced by them) > BOS (gently caress Ortiz).

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Led by some guy named Scooter probably.

Realistically we have a spot at either 1B, 3B or LF to fill with a prospect if we're aiming to improve internally. Among possible prospects the most Cardinals names I can think of from our system would be either Harrison Bader, Bryce Denton or Walker Robbins. Only Bader is old enough to actually have a shot at making the roster. Get working on your "Harrison Bader" puns/insults now.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

if you didn't watch that game you're an unforgivably terrible idiot

I had to watch a terrible debate. Sorry to disappoint by missing the 4th through 7th innings.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Red posted:

Statistically, how do starters brought in for relief in extra innings generally fare?

Michael Wacha. Travis Ishikawa. :cry:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

davecrazy posted:

What year did Pedro almost blow it against the Yankees? 2003? 04?

In relief in Game 7 in 04, I'm pretty sure.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Well maybe he shouldn't have taken strike three then.

Alternately, maybe Matheny should have just walked Ortiz every AB in 2013.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He walked him 33% of the time which was the problem considering people scored after the walks more than half the time.

He also hit .688 with a 1.188 SLG when he didn't get walked. I'd have been fine with more walks.

To stop harping on 2013, go Rangers, go Cubs.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I tend to get sick of teams that win a lot, with the exception of Chicago teams. I have a soft spot for the Red Sox because I was in college in Boston from 2004-2007 and that was magical.

gently caress the Patriots though.

Being a Cardinals fan in Providence in 2004 sucked. A lot. Red Sox fans will not only talk poo poo with a stupid accent, they will burn their opponents in effigy. I lived in St. Louis in 2006 though, so that made up for it.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Attention Cubs fans going to the game tonight: If one of you gets on TV with a "Grab 'em by the Posey" sign I will love you forever.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Joe Kelly's comedy game remains strong: http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/red-sox-p-joe-kelly-offers-playoff-tickets-to-ken-bone-101016

V: Ken Bone

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mr. McGibblets posted:

I want this to be like Talladega Nights where he leaves the tickets for his dad at the counter every game and then his dad finally shows up and sells them.

I could honestly see Joe Kelly leaving tickets for Ken Bone at every single game for the rest of his days. He's not one to let a joke die quickly. Remember his NLCS standoff with Scott van Slyke?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Didn't we just discuss how every poster reserves the right to meltdown when their team gets knocked out?

That shits in the Constitution.

I think there's a Best Fans addendum where if a Cardinals fan melts down they have to do it with a requisite amount of dogwhistle racism.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Brockenstein posted:

Here's where it happened if you have archives

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1690800&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=61

There's not actually that much to it though. It's nothing compared to the events leading up to the Buttfumble

Did you end up making GBS threads your pants since the Astros won it in 6 after all?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Craptacular! posted:

The best part about giving up EYBS is the furious Cardinals fans who are sure we "laid down" and blew those saves on purpose.

Between the Dodgers sweep and this, Giants could not troll the Cards any harder.

I want to disbelieve this or assume it's trolling but I know better. This loving fanbase...

Would they really pitch him 1, 4, 7? Has anyone done that in the last decade?

I'm pretty sure one of Johnson/Schilling did it in Arizona.

Cardinals threw Carpenter in 2011 in games 1, 5 and 7 with the aid of a rain delay. I know it's not exactly what you asked, but it's the closest I can think of within the last decade.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

God dammit, Illinois Cardinals Fans. Please stop.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

YeahTubaMike posted:

I've been a baseball fan for a lot of years, and I have to say that 2016 -- for a variety of reasons -- has been the most stressful season of my young life.

edit: it's kind of ironic because I dove into baseball so fervently this year because "real life" was stressing me out and I needed an escape. :negative:

The Cardinals making GBS threads the bed and missing by one game was probably a good thing for me. It let me focus all my rage on the Presidential election instead. I don't know if I could have handled anger at Matheny and these past weeks' Trump-induced rage at the same time.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The conversation he had with the equipment manager was probably interesting at first....

"Yeah, so could you get me a list of the shoe sizes of everyone on the team?....."

I have the same shoe size as the probable NL MVP! The similarities end there.

*I'm actually a 13 wide, but I'm counting it anyway*

Also Lester has freakishly large feet and we should all point and laugh.

As a 15EEEE your taunting just hurts my feelings. My mighty heart is breaking.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

TMMadman posted:

You know what they say about guys with big feet, right?

It's really hard for them to find vegan leather dress shoes that fit well? Because it is. It really, really is.

Ice To Meet You posted:

Considering how many guys on a big league team are 6'5" or taller, 15 isn't even an unusual size.

This has been foot chat.

No kidding. I have disproportionately large feet for my size but I'm still a bit over 6'2"; 15EEEE isn't, like, hobbit feet on me or something.

In a callback to earlier (and to get away from footchat), people were trying to find a WAR drop off from an MVP season that approaches Harper's from last year to this year. I submit Willie McGee. While it's not as precipitous, he went from 8.1 in his MVP season to 2.9 the next year. Almost 1/3 of his lifetime WAR over an 18-year career came from one season. Can anyone find a player with a higher proportional share of their career WAR in one season, assuming at least 10 years' playing time as an arbitrary qualifier?

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 14, 2016

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

PROBABLY DANIEL MURPHY

Surprisingly no. Only 8 seasons but even still, 4.6 in 2016 versus 17.1 career. 26.9%. McGee's 1985 season was more than 31.76%.

E: depending on how far down the quality scale we're willing to go, Corey Patterson's 2006 season accounts for 43.75% of his career WAR over a 12-year career.

E2: To get really sad, Skip Schumaker's best season, 2008, was worth more than his entire 11-year career. Those other ten years were a net negative.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 14, 2016

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i wear a women's 15 so, like, i know ur suffering in terms of impossible shoe sizes. being a 6'4" girl is loving impossible clothing-wise. but i am the dinger queen of my rec league softball team.

I never played baseball, actually. I just love watching it. For all I know in an alternate universe I'm an aging right fielder for Oakland or something. Height was awesome for Ultimate Frisbee in college though.

Stop laughing. It's a real sport and we won Nationals in '05.

Timby posted:

Game 1 assignments:

Home plate: Paul Nauert
First base: Eric Cooper
Second base: Gary Cederstrom
Third base: Angel Hernandez
Left field: Alfonso Marquez
Right field: Ted Barrett

Someone call Steve McMichael.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I was born in a house very close to Lake Erie in a Cleveland suburb. Midges were absolutely everywhere, so there was always an abundant supply of food for spiders, who would eat them and get to terrifyingly enormous size, then hide in my closet or bathroom just to terrify my 4-year-old self. :cry:

Jeremy Hazelbaker will eat one for $15.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
In honor of the NLCS, a child's treasury of classic Angel Hernandez moments in Chicago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6htcE_vvZxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbvoNodswMU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Dead Kelly posted:

Douglas Cardinal has filed a claim to the Ontario supreme court and human rights tribunal asking for an injunction against both Cleveland's team name and the Chief Wahoo logo. The claim is that name and logo are slurs, and so should be banned from use in Ontario. It is very unlikely that he'll win his claim (which is being heard Monday), but if he did, what would MLB do? Do Cleveland have kits that use neither "Indians" nor Wahoo?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/architect-douglas-cardinal-files-human-rights-complaint-against-use-of-cleveland-s-name-logo-1.3806662

Don't believe the story, no way a Cardinal is against racial insensitivity.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This is like blaming an abused puppy for flinching every time you raise your hand at it.

Fighting the urge to text my dad Bartman images all night.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Apparently Adrian Gonzalez refused to stay at the Trump Hotel in Chicago and made his own arrangements. Good for him.

Came in here to post this same thing. Good for you, A-Gon. Make all the Mickey Mouse ears on the base paths you want.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs are a very good team and will be for a while. They're probably going to win the division for the next few years, since their only real competition is the Cardinals and their dingers, but the Cardinals only had one starter this year with an ERA under 4.62. The Cubs are putting themselves in the best possible position to win the World Series.

I think the Cardinals are more of a threat than you're betting on. The Cubs have more young talent among position players but the gulf isn't as wide as everyone makes it out to be. I'm still bullish on Kolten Wong, Aledmys Diaz seems like a 3-4 WAR player, Carpenter remains solid (though I wouldn't really call him young anymore) and Piscotty is always dangerous to the point that I assume many Cubs fans would trade Heyward for him straight up.

As for the pitching, I think the rotation needs to stabilize but isn't as dead and buried as many people are saying. Thanks in part to the never ending conveyor belt of prospects we can patch whatever holes come up. Part of it is driven by my unending love for how adorable he is, but I think Wainwright will bounce back. Martinez is coming into his own as a legitimate front-line starter and Reyes seemed to be more than up to the challenge of pitching in the big leagues. As a groundball-oriented pitcher the uncertainty in the infield this year hurt Leake more than most but I'm still okay with him as a 4/5 in the rotation. Beyond that we have Lance Lynn, Michael Wacha, Tyler Lyons, Tim Cooney and Marco Gonzales available, plus a $12M option on Jaime Garcia. It's not Philadelphia "Four Aces" lineup but it's still a solid pitching staff.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Niwrad posted:

Cubs also have Schwarber coming back next year. I think he's a tad overrated but he's probably a 2-3 WAR guy coming in without touching free agency.

I'm very worried about Schwarber's power when he comes back. I love watching him mash but I keep worrying that recovering from a brutal leg injury will have taken away some of the power from his swing.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

They will draft the player with the stupidest last name left on the board.

Harrison Bader is as good as we've got for you in the immediate future. Goofy enough or no?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Nah, you need another "Grichuk" or "Piscotty" or some poo poo like that.

We've got a Gomber as well, but he's really far down on the pitching depth chart.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Only if his middle name is "Darth" or "Master"

Joseph, sadly. I mean, maybe I can yell "Harrison Bader WINSBURG" if he hits a home run or something. I'm trying, at least.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

I approve of this wish.

So I'm curious: Do Yankees fans even have opinions about the Cardinals? I assume some of that "Yankees of the NL" stuff kind of falls by the wayside compared to, y'know, the Yankees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tony Phillips posted:

Facebook trending just reminded me.

10 years ago today.

:allears: Ah, memories.

• Locked thread