Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Altuve is going to win the batting title again, but that .337 average doesn't look so hot considering he was hitting .366/.429/.581 a little over a month ago. Since that point he's .241/.279/.379 and absolutely a big reason the Astros faded down the stretch after getting within a game of the wild card (though nowhere close to as big a reason as the god awful pitching)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Stephen Vogt!

Sean Doolittle!

Uhm.

I live in the Bay Area and this is embarrassing.

Valencia, who always murders the Astros

e: I guess that was residual memory from last season (.436/.522/.821) because he was actually very bad against us this season (.157/.283/.235)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm sad the Astros missed the playoffs but at least the Cardinals did too

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm just glad that EYB is alive and well

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Good Dog posted:

I'm sure there are Cards fans out there that own 14 Postseason 20__ shirts or however many they've been to since 2000.

edit: Since Jered Weaver had to leave his last start early with back tightness, his start today was questionable. He ended up not playing, so he possibly pitched his last pitch as an Angel (or in MLB) last week. :smith:

No more 78 mph fastballs in Anaheim I guess

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the Giants win it again this year my ironic belief in EYB will become an unironic belief

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

Well, that punch was one of the baddest-rear end things to ever happen on a baseball diamond. But even setting that aside, Carlos Beltran is with the Rangers now, and he's never won a World Series ring, despite having a great career. I want him to get a ring.

gently caress him and gently caress the Rangers :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Best
Astros somehow

Good
Indians
Blue Jays
Nationals

Neutral
Dodgers
Red Sox

Eh my dad's family is Cubs fans so whatever
Cubs

gently caress
Rangers

And then separate from the rankings system

Maximum Bullshit Engage
Giants

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thanks Blue Jays :toot:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I like this article though I'm sure it means the Rangers will win 100 games to spite me

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-rangers-are-facing-a-difficult-winter

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

This isn't my recent pessimism talking, but I do think the Rangers made a mistake not trading Gallo when they could. He could still wind up a serious badass, but I'm seeing less and less signs of that happening. While I don't crunch the numbers like that article does, I've certainly been dreading the end of Darvish's contract. Feels like the end of the road for a lot of the team.

Darvish is selfish and you're better off without him

The Astros can take his stat padding off your hands

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Giants fans bitch about their ill fortunes prior to winning three championships in five years ITT

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

:hai:

we don't deserve a team as noble as the Astros existing just 5 hours away.

This was maybe the dumbest thing to happen all year

"This high volume strikeout pitcher who has spent his career striking just like literally all the guys is bad because he won't stop striking people out and pitch to contact"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrChips posted:

Dude what's your problem?

I mean I'm only pointing out how Blue Jay fans are a bunch of stupid, loudmouth, know-nothing racist shitbags who cheer for a garbage team from a garbage city. If you can't handle that go back to Scarborough and cry yourself to sleep with your Rob Ford doll.

Huh what is this poo poo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

shadok posted:

Red Sox sweep meltdown, nobody should take it personally.

TOR-CLE ALCS is going to be tough. I hope the Jays win but I won't cry if they go down fighting. Final Four two years in a row is awesome.

I'm pretty cool with whoever comes out of the AL at this point :toot:

A Boston fan throwing out racism accusations of a city is also quite adorable

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I live for playoff posting meltdowns. Maybe one of these days I'll be a playoff poster for a baseball team :saddowns:

I feel like I had my big test last year. If a 4 run lead at home in the 8th with one of the best bullpens in baseball where a win sends you to the ALCS didn't cause me to melt down when they allowed like 9 singles in a row, it'd take the same thing happening in the World Series or something to make it happen

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Remember that Nike commercial from 2004 with the Sox fans

e: jesus I'm old

Anyway, it was really really loving good and here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2JbRYrmf74

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ego symphonic posted:

When the Cardinals rallied from 6 runs down against the Nats in 2012 to knock them out of their first ever playoff series I'm proud to say that I just turned the TV off and went to bed to feel very sad for several hours and did not post any insane, rambling screeds on the internet.

When Pujols ended the useful portion of Brad Lidge's career I didn't post any rants, but I didn't sleep at all that night either

And that was knowing they were still up 3-2 in the series with Oswalt starting game 6

Lidge would go on to give up a walkoff dinger to Scott Podsednik in game 1 of the WS

e: Ok just went back and read it and I had a mini-"we're going to lose this series now I'm so depressed" meltdown, but no huge rants

In fact, I'm somewhat proud of myself for this post

quote:

I'm probably in the minority for Astros fans right now, but I'm hoping that if we have a one run lead going into the ninth tomorrow, Garner trots Lidge right back out there. And he probably will. I think yesterday was a hard lesson for him and he got ahead of himself thinking that we already had the pennant and that the Cardinals batters were going to make the last out for him. Also I think that if Phil DIDN'T put Lidge in, that would ruin him as a closer forever confidence-wise.

Even though it turned out that Lidge was in fact broken

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 11, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mentholmoose posted:

Seriously, how the gently caress does Cody Ross go deep twice off Roy Halladay!? Also gently caress Juan Uribe forever and ever.

I repeat, Lidge gave up a walkoff dinger to Scott "Scott Podsednik" Podsednik

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ego symphonic posted:

They won the series but that moment is memorable for the pure psychic violence that Pujols managed to inflict on poor Brad Lidge with a single swing.

Lidge was my first real exposure to the meaning of "shook"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I mean keep in mind that at this point in his career Lidge was practically untouchable. He struck out the side in the ASG with 10 pitches. He regularly pitched 2-3 inning saves with no problem (this might have been a problem actually considering he had pitched a couple such saves in the previous two games of the series)

It also required him to give up a hit to loving David Eckstein after getting up 0-2 on him with 2 outs. Eckstein worked a hit from an 0-2 hole against a strikeout machine monster closer who was possibly the best in baseball at the time

Oof

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

code:
t9	2-4	0	---	4,(1-2) 	O	STL	J. Rodriguez	B. Lidge	-4%	4%	Strikeout Swinging (C-1B)
t9	2-4	1	---	5,(1-2) 	O	STL	J. Mabry	B. Lidge	-2%	1%	Strikeout Swinging
t9	2-4	2	---	4,(1-2) 		STL	D. Eckstein	B. Lidge	2%	4%	Single to LF (Ground Ball)
t9	2-4	2	1--	1,(0-0) 		STL	J. Edmonds	B. Lidge	0%	4%	Defensive Indifference; Eckstein to 2B
t9	2-4	2	-2-	5,(3-1) 		STL	J. Edmonds	B. Lidge	4%	7%	Walk
t9	2-4	2	12-	2,(0-1) 	RRR	STL	A. Pujols	B. Lidge	73%	81%	Home Run (Deep LF); Eckstein Scores; Edmonds Scores
t9	5-4	2	---	5,(2-2) 	O	STL	R. Sanders	B. Lidge	-1%	80%	Strikeout Looking
:negative:

OK I'm done talking about this :lol:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

I have nothing against the Blue Jays but could they please gently caress off so Coco can win a world series.

Are we really considering the idea that two Cleveland teams win a championship in the same year to be plausible?

Although it would be pretty amazing for it to happen the same year Believeland came out

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Scob posted:

you really had to be watching that pujols/lidge thing to be in the moment of it. i cant imagine what it was like being there and just having the whole place go silent haha

Here's where it happened if you have archives

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1690800&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=61

There's not actually that much to it though. It's nothing compared to the events leading up to the Buttfumble

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

Not only that, but two Cleveland teams beating two Toronto teams to get to their respective championships in the same year.

(The point is, I want to see Aubrey Graham get humiliated on national television again.)

Hey if EYBS holds out and the Giants make it to the WS, we could quite possibly have two Cleveland teams beat two Toronto teams on their way to beating two Bay Area teams that beat two LA teams if Washington also loses

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sports are fun and I love them except for all the times they're stupid and bad and I hate them

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pancakes posted:

Did you end up making GBS threads your pants since the Astros won it in 6 after all?

Like I need an excuse to poo poo my pants

e: Holy poo poo was I guilty as gently caress of rivals.com poo poo

e2: Man I was insufferable as hell, how did I ever get accepted in this community

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 12, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

CubsWoo posted:

The Cubs win the series with an OBP of .247, the worst by a winner in DS history and 2nd worst for any postseason series winner (1986 Mets, .234)

Yeah the Astros lost that one :negative:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Wow that's very well done

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: Eh don't care tbh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

Maybe someday the Cubs will play in a stadium with such creature comforts as "places cameras can be placed" and "electricity and running water"

Possibly "bathrooms that aren't just a stack of plastic cups" :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My favorite Wrigley story is about how Milo Hamilton hated Harry Caray so every time the Astros would go to Wrigley he'd throw a bunch of bird seed under Caray's statue so birds would poo poo all over it

What I'm saying is that Albrot you should go to a game at Wrigley and do that

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm sure Milo had a very high opinion of Ernie Banks

Oh you mean Albrot

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Every time a new pitcher came in and immediately let his man reach it got funnier and funnier. How many bullpen arms could come in, give up a hit or walk, and then leave for the next guy to do the same?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bad boy in the boy band posted:

I want him to win tonight just for the chance of destroying his Wood-and-Prior-wrecking rear end.

On the other hand how much will it hurt if Dusty Baker's team knocks you out of the playoffs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

Some Toronto reporters are saying that the Jays are preparing to make a long-term offer to Encarnacion. I hope it's true and I hope it's good enough that he takes it. I'm surprised to even hear this considering all year we've heard "Rogers is allergic to big contracts" but I will cross my fingers.

I'm still holding onto a fleeting hope the Astros will win the Encarnacion sweepstakes so we'll finally have an offensively passable first baseman for the first time since Lance Berkman

But I'm sure Crane will sign like Adam Lind or something

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This is pretty great

I fondly remember the days when you could do that fake throw to third then throw to first and it was fine, but if you twitch your left butt cheek with your foot on the mound it's a balk

Goodpancakes posted:

Hmm this is explaining a rather continuous steam of awkward social interactions when I wear my "king of massive dongs" shirt in public. Time to rethink the baseball wardrobe

Wear it with pride

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Brockenstein posted:

I'm still holding onto a fleeting hope the Astros will win the Encarnacion sweepstakes so we'll finally have an offensively passable first baseman for the first time since Lance Berkman

But I'm sure Crane will sign like Adam Lind or something

I made myself sad by deciding to compare the numbers

2016 Adam Lind: 239/286/431
2016 Astros 1B: 232/299/306

Just for fun

2016 Astros DH: 218/299/378
2016 Astros LF: 227/283/366

loving hell

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

After listening to low-info Dodgers fans cry constantly about how they should have traded Urias for Price/Hamels etc a year ago, this is a fun (totally unfair) stat

Postseason wins, 2015-2016:

David Price: 1
Cole Hamels: 0
Julio Urias: 1

:smug:

I still maintain that the Astros would have won the world series last year if Hamels hadn't killed that trade :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel comfortable calling literally everything Bill Plaschke's fault

Carlosologist posted:

this series is now a best of 3 where Kershaw will only pitch once. I have to say, I like the Cubs' chances here

How dare you doubt Rich Hill

• Locked thread