Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Pancakes posted:

I don't think this is right. If TOR and BAL both win then Detroit is behind them no matter what. I'm pretty sure in the event of a tie between two teams that have otherwise clinched the WC slot they just have their records determine who has the home field advantage, they don't make them play a Game 163 for it.

If TOR and BAL both win today then Detroit is eliminated. If Detroit loses either today or tomorrow then they are eliminated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
TOR is probably gonna lose. They're up against Price, the Red Sox are hot, the Jays are cold and they're in Fenway.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

If anyone wants heaps and heaps of Cards fan salt, @BestFansStLouis delivers.

Cardinals. The worst bird-named baseball team.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

I think game 163s get classified as playoffs anyhow for the purpose of stat and record tracking.

Yeah, tie-breaker games are part of the "postseason" fwiw - wrong. Personally I share the WC cynicism: if the Jays make it to the ALDS, I'll be happy they made the real playoffs. If they don't, well, that's baseball. They had a pretty good season, if only they could have slumped a little less dramatically in September.

Anyways. To all SA MLB posters whose teams are now done for the season, condolences. May your team do better in 2017. Thanks for sharing your love of - and your frustration with - your team with me this year.

shadok fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 3, 2016

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yaya posted:

The Blue Jays need to make at least the ALCS because the Orioles and Rangers both need to be destroyed.

I think they have a great chance of beating the Orioles but I'm not feeling super confident about the Rangers this year, should the Jays get that far. I mean obviously I agree that the Rangers need to be destroyed, just not sure the September-October 2016 Blue Jays are up to it.

Julio Cruz posted:

This isn't true, they're still regular season games for statistical purposes.

You are right and I am wrong. Sorry, I was confused by all the Jays commentators saying "the Jays have guaranteed post-season baseball" on Saturday after they beat Boston and clinched a tie-breaker game in the worst case scenario.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also I was convinced at the beginning of the season that Toronto was going to finally have 3 40/100 guys this year after JUST missing it last year (Donaldson 41/123, Bautista 40/114, Encarnacion 39/111).

Eddie had a career year at 42/127 but Donaldson only produced 37/99 because he took a bajillion walks instead, and Bautista missed 50 games with that busted toe. :smith:

R.D. Mangles posted:

this actually sounds plausible to me

Terrifyingly plausible. Like a Trump presidency.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Would you like some of these?

Most of them went to Africa as foreign aid but I'm sure there are still a few truckloads of them around for cheap.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

If you're the Blue Jays, who do you start in the WC game tomorrow? I say Liriano since the O's suck against lefties, keep Stro in the pen as a backup.

https://twitter.com/SNBarryDavis/status/782706610540056576

Liriano went 6.1IP 6H 0R 1BB 10SO against the Orioles one week ago. I pick him!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
So 2017 Blue Jays.

Lineup
Carrera RF
Travis 2B
Donaldson 3B
??? DH
Martin C
Tulowitzki SS
Upton Jr. LF
Pillar CF
Smoak 1B

Bench
Goins
Pompey
Lake
Barney?

Starters
Happ
Sanchez
Estrada
Stroman
Liriano

That's not so bad, right? They just need to find a DH somewhere and trade Smoak for a real 1B. A team with Donaldson, Martin, Tulo and Travis should be able to compete.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

Votto's contract is big

Jays are out. Management has been pretty clear they want the payroll down and they are now allergic to big star contracts, which is why they're not going to re-sign Encarnación, let alone Bautista.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

Isn't DarBar UFA after this season?

Yeah, he's on a 1y/1M contract for 2016. I really hope he'll be amenable to another one for 2017.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

That's a gutted lineup right there.

"Gutted" is a little excessive. Josh Donaldson is a Very Good Baseball Man.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

If there's one thing I am not too worried about for next season, it is Toronto's pitching.

"In another sign of how professional baseball is continually changing, 2016 marked the first season in which Major League pitchers did not combine for at least 100 complete games. The perfect case study for this shift was the Blue Jays, whose starting pitchers did not record a single complete game and yet led the Majors with 995 1/3 innings pitched in 2016."

"Only 13 clubs in modern baseball history have not recorded a single complete game over the course of a season -- including the 2016 Blue Jays, Brewers, Marlins and Yankees. Of that group of 13, the Blue Jays are the first team to have its starters lead the Major Leagues in innings while not recording a single game in which they went the distance."

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Jesus Christ. loving Joe West is the crew chief for the AL WC game/1v4 seed ALDS

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

Rangers get the #1 seed, get garbage rear end game times that don't work well for anyone.

Red Sox get primetime because.

50% chance Rangers will be playing Blue Jays. American TV audiences do not give a gently caress about Blue Jays baseball.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
N: 538 rates the Blue Jays as the best of the scrub tier playoff teams!

V: :toot:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

*sees giants last*

I always knew 538 was a garbage site run by garbage people with garbage numbers that mean nothing.

The title of the article is literally "Major League Baseball Is About To Get Random". Flip nine coins. Now you have a prediction just as good as Nate Silver's!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

lol if you think Rougned will need 12 rounds

He'd bite Bautista's ear off 45 seconds in.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Remember that time the Rangers won the first two games of the ALDS on the road? I don't recall exactly what happened after that, but they probably went on to win the World Series.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Estrada would normally be next up, then Happ then Sanchez.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How do the Jay's chances fair versus the Rangers this year?

edit: are they more or less the same teams as last year?

The Jays stack up very well against the Rangers in theory but they are definitely not the same team they were last year. Their starting pitching is better but their bullpen is really shaky and they have struggled to score runs all season (they scored 759 runs total this year compared to 891 last year).

The Jays went 4-3 against the Rangers this year but they have not played each other since May 15. The three losses were all by one run. The wins were 3-1, 4-3, 12-2, and 5-0.

The only game they won in Arlington this year was an RA Dickey start, and he's not in the postseason lineup.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

A Torontonian friend of mine is completely adamant that it was "just" a water bottle that got thrown at Kim. He at least agrees "gently caress the guy that threw it" but it's very clearly a beer can.

Firstly, getting hit in the head by a full water bottle probably hurts just as much as a full can of beer. Secondly, gently caress that guy.

Apparently the cops didn't arrest the thrower last night at the game because he ran off before they could get to the section he was in. They're trying to identify him, hopefully to prosecute.

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/10/05/toronto-police-search-fan-threw-beer-can-orioles-kim/

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also, watching that clip again, Hyun Soo Kim is amazing. Never took his eye off the ball.

Lastly, I hate this racist new world we're suddenly living in. Canadians used to be quietly racist in the comfort and privacy of their homes. Now apparently it's ok to just scream that poo poo in baseball stadiums.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

BWV posted:

Toronto fans are generally pretty good but man do they love throwing poo poo.

IKEA wanted to give out "rally spoons" to "stir the pot" last year. Rogers Centre said "no loving way".

"And here come the spoons."

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

I don't understand how any stadium still gives out actual cans for people to drink from, especially Rogers. I went to Detroit a couple years back and just kind of stared at the concessions worker after she handed me a can to take back to my seat.

Because 99.8% of the fans aren't assholes who throw their cans onto the field.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

They won't even let Geddy Lee fill out his scorecard in peace? :smith:

Geddy Lee enjoyed the gently caress out of last night's game. Watching him was almost as much fun as the game itself.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
"Police to beer-throwing idiot: don't make us come get you"
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/police-appeal-to-beer-thrower-1.3792436

The commander of 52 Division tweeted this today:
https://twitter.com/scottgilbertTPS/status/783650529029283844

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I knew that Geddy Lee liked going to Jays games and scoring the game, but I never knew he was sitting right on camera the entire time.

He's got a season ticket to that "In The Action" area right behind home plate ($19K) but he's not always in the camera field, sometimes he's off to one side a bit so you can only see him in the long shots. My wife and I like to play "Find Geddy Lee" every home game, he's just so adorable with his little score card.

shadok fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 5, 2016

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just looked at Adam Jones' Facebook page and holy poo poo, the comments are just a stream of white supremacist bile.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
538 article about ALWC

Not really saying anything anyone isn't already saying but there are some nice play-by-play leverage numbers so you can actually measure how dumb Showalter was for not putting Britton in for the ninth, let alone for the eleventh.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

St. Dogbert posted:

Jones came out in favour of the athletes who knelt during the Star-Spangled Banner, right?

Yeah, this is what set off that particular stream of attacks.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

shadok posted:

Estrada would normally be next up, then Happ then Sanchez.

This is confirmed for the TEX-TOR ALDS. Estrada 1, Happ 2, Sanchez 3 and Stroman 4 if necessary.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

resistentialism posted:

Including this tortured line. Wait what missed a baby?

Some idiot threw a beer and the beer splashed a mother and her baby, although it was reported during the game that the beer can had hit the baby. The guy who did it was arrested, although I don't know if he was later prosecuted.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

resistentialism posted:

Ya, I know. I just liked the line of twisted-structured reporting.

It would have been quite something if Martin's throw to the mound had ricocheted off Choo's bat and hit a baby. Nobody would ever talk about Randy Johnson and his dumb pigeon ever again.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Toronto Sun, owned by Postmedia, offered a 1000 dollar reward to identify the beer can thrower.

The beer can thrower works as a sports editor for The Hamilton Spectator, a paper owned by Postmedia.

As you would expect from a Sun employee, he's denying everything. And deleting his Twitter. His explanation of why he fled the game if he was innocent? "I'd love to tell my side but I can't."

I hope they have video of him throwing the can.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Seriously? You guys are bandwagoning the Arlington Punchfaces over the Toronto Angry Birds?

https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/783896639626940417

shadok fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 6, 2016

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

Well, that punch was one of the baddest-rear end things to ever happen on a baseball diamond.

Gross.

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

Carlos Beltran is with the Rangers now, and he's never won a World Series ring, despite having a great career. I want him to get a ring.

This is fair enough.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

CubsWoo posted:

Live feed of the GDT tomorrow night

Rangers-Jays.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Didn't the Blue Jays lose one of their better relievers like a week ago in a baseball honor culture kerfuffle they themselves were responsible for starting by throwing at guys over an obviously unintentional HBP?

They sure did, the stupid assholes. Happ, Sanchez, Estrada and Osuna have all thrown at batters this year or last year, that I can think of. It's disgusting.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Not bad, but they should have left the bat in the air imo.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Indeed. It's almost as if there's no real moral or ideological stakes in the series at all and the attempts to inject them are just bullshit justifications for homerism

No. Straight up punching a baserunner in the face is definitely a step above traditional baseball idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gobias Ind. posted:

Is this confirmed? Because I thought whoever mentioned it in this thread said he was going to be the crew chief for the wildcard game too, and he wasn't even on the crew.

Sadly.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article105746421.html

• Locked thread