Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

a.lo posted:

What is real? Well let me tell you: Donald Trump is real.

Yeah, he has assured us he's the realest race realist. They called it the "GOP Primary."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

straight up brolic posted:

Garage's rhetorical style is to be a gigantic middle finger that has 80% of people say "what a loving oval office" and the other 20% say "finally someone who tells it like it is", dunno how Donny benefits from someone like that.

Also, don't forget: In the environment Farage is used to you can completely ignore the minority vote and stick to only appealing to whites because England is 90% white, compared to America.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Night10194 posted:

Also, don't forget: In the environment Farage is used to you can completely ignore the minority vote and stick to only appealing to whites because England is 90% white, compared to America.

I'm pretty sure the Trump campaign is under the impression that Ohio is worth 250 EVs.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VH4Ever posted:

Is Trump actually going to sit and do the work though? Reports came out that he basically couldn't stay focused for more than a little while and got bored with the Ailes-led prep because he sincerely thinks he doesn't need it.

So that, if true, is amazing. Because if you've seen Game Change you know even SARAH PALIN was able to be coached for a debate.

Either way it's not a positive for him. Even if he were capable of being coached, nobody who is competent enough to debate Hillary Clinton wants anything to do with the Trump Campaign right now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the gap of skill is too wide for him to win even if he trains very hard off screen for the next couple weeks.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Note: the Pat Robertson "deny your dick to your traitorous Hillary-loving wife" story is from Newslo, a fake news site. Basically, a less funny version of the Onion. I see their poo poo pop up in my Facebook feed all the time.

*kisses fingers* Every so often, the Daily News justifies its continued existence.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Phisherman posted:

Sorry if I wasn't more clear. I wasn't saying PJ is the only one, I just said she was the only one who I read who'd been predicting events with anything approaching accuracy. When I really started really paying attention people in the media had given up proclaiming the end of his political career after they were wrong half a dozen times.

If you have those articles to share I'd be appreciative though. Could you provide a link please?

I will have to search for the articles I was talking about but here is a newer one that speaks to the same things PJ writes about : http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_revenge_of_the_lower_classes_and_the_rise_of_american_fascism_20160302

He quotes a book that talks about out current mileu:

Richard Rorty in his last book, “Achieving Our Country,” written in 1998 posted:

Many writers on socioeconomic policy have warned that the old industrialized democracies are heading into a Weimar-like period, one in which populist movements are likely to overturn constitutional governments. Edward Luttwak, for example, has suggested that fascism may be the American future. The point of his book The Endangered American Dream is that members of labor unions, and unorganized unskilled workers, will sooner or later realize that their government is not even trying to prevent wages from sinking or to prevent jobs from being exported. Around the same time, they will realize that suburban white-collar workers—themselves desperately afraid of being downsized—are not going to let themselves be taxed to provide social benefits for anyone else.

At that point, something will crack. The nonsuburban electorate will decide that the system has failed and start looking around for a strongman to vote for—someone willing to assure them that, once he is elected, the smug bureaucrats, tricky lawyers, overpaid bond salesmen, and postmodernist professors will no longer be calling the shots. A scenario like that of Sinclair Lewis’ novel It Can’t Happen Here may then be played out. For once a strongman takes office, nobody can predict what will happen. In 1932, most of the predictions made about what would happen if Hindenburg named Hitler chancellor were wildly overoptimistic.

One thing that is very likely to happen is that the gains made in the past forty years by black and brown Americans, and by homosexuals, will be wiped out. Jocular contempt for women will come back into fashion. The words “friend of the family” and “kike” will once again be heard in the workplace. All the sadism which the academic Left has tried to make unacceptable to its students will come flooding back. All the resentment which badly educated Americans feel about having their manners dictated to them by college graduates will find an outlet.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 1, 2016

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Noam Chomsky posted:

I will have to search for the articles I was talking about but here is a newer one that speaks to the same things PJ writes about : http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_revenge_of_the_lower_classes_and_the_rise_of_american_fascism_20160302

Thanks buddy. I'll give it a read. :)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The thing to remember about Farage is he tried to play 4th dimensional chess and get Brexit close to winning but still have it fail so he could run on being denied in the future. The second it actually won he was basically the dog that caught the car and had to resign and run for the hills, like most pro-Brexit politicians.

No that was Boris.

Farage was the one who left England, and then suddenly and mysteriously got several job offers from the Russian government that'd have him set for life.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Rookersh posted:

No that was Boris.

Farage was the one who left England, and then suddenly and mysteriously got several job offers from the Russian government that'd have him set for life.

Trump sure does have a penchant for surrounding himself with Russian stooges.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Phisherman posted:

Thanks buddy. I'll give it a read. :)

Cool. I may have to read the book he quotes in that article because it sounds like he is describing the present word for word, from 1998.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think people will remember it, but also remember that poor whites are shrinking by about 1% a year currently. In four years the republicans may not be able to win the white house with the numbers they have. In 2024 they may not be able to win the presidency at all and will only be relevant at the state and local level until they bring in some new blood.

To put that in perspective when GWB won in 2000 he had roughly 16% more votes as a baseline. The republicans are not replenishing their numbers and instead losing further numbers by driving minority voters not only away but to the democrats, damaging themselves twice as hard. It's like that the party found out they're bleeding and instead of patching it decides to cut themselves more and deeper.

It's not just that, 2000 had notably abysmal turnout rates (I think only 1996 was lower). Even if Hillary is notably uncharismatic it won't get that bad because no one outside of clueless white people still believe in "Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich".

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Rookersh posted:

No that was Boris.

This shouldn't turn into a full derail probably but if I were a pro-Brexit voter I would feel more than a little strange for how those two guys basically pushed this through by using white fear of immigrants to squeak by and make Brexit a reality that Britain now has to deal with and then both basically stepped down and ceased being a part of what comes next. Really, you vehemently want Britain to go it alone, but drop out of politics now that the actual work of making that so is about to begin? Did you truly want this result or were you just demagoguing and hoping to continue to be an obstructionist oval office when it failed, then had no plan B when it didn't fail?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VH4Ever posted:

This shouldn't turn into a full derail probably but if I were a pro-Brexit voter I would feel more than a little strange for how those two guys basically pushed this through by using white fear of immigrants to squeak by and make Brexit a reality that Britain now has to deal with and then both basically stepped down and ceased being a part of what comes next. Really, you vehemently want Britain to go it alone, but drop out of politics now that the actual work of making that so is about to begin? Did you truly want this result or were you just demagoguing and hoping to continue to be an obstructionist oval office when it failed, then had no plan B when it didn't fail?
there's a lot of pro-brexit voters who regret their vote because they were voting under the assumption that it'd never happen and they just wanted to make a Statement.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

there's a lot of pro-brexit voters who regret their vote because they were voting under the assumption that it'd never happen and they just wanted to make a Statement.

Regrexit, yeah I saw that. Evidently that included the two politicians pushing for it!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

a.lo posted:

Donald Trump is real.

Title of the post Mortum on his campaign.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Noam Chomsky posted:

Cool. I may have to read the book he quotes in that article because it sounds like he is describing the present word for word, from 1998.

Jesus, the article itself sounds almost gleeful about this rise of Facism. That's weird, isn't it?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

VH4Ever posted:

I doubt very seriously that the genuine Brexit voters (i.e. not the morons who voted for it "as a protest vote") are capable of this kind of critical thinking.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

lozzle posted:

I doubt very seriously that the genuine Brexit voters (i.e. not the morons who voted for it "as a protest vote") are capable of this kind of critical thinking.

There were comments just a couple weeks ago how they're all blindsided by the fact they'll need Visas to visit Europe now. "I voted Leave cause I wanted to keep the foreigners out of the UK, not me out of the EU!!!" seemed to be the most common thought.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

People I know have been often vaguely astounded when I explained to them that the US is about one-third non-whites now, compared to Britain's 9% or 10%. Frankly I think a lot of other people forget that too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inferior Third Season posted:

This is like in Arrested Development. The Republicans think an obvious idiot is smart, just because they have a British accent.
The best part is that he's Mr. F.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nessus posted:

People I know have been often vaguely astounded when I explained to them that the US is about one-third non-whites now, compared to Britain's 9% or 10%. Frankly I think a lot of other people forget that too.

Still trying to suppress their votes though.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

If you play Fight Song backwards you can hear the subliminal message "Hillary's a dead woman. Miss her, miss her, miss her." :tinfoil:

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, the article itself sounds almost gleeful about this rise of Facism. That's weird, isn't it?

Chris Hedges has been saying this stuff for a long time, and people usually write him off as a depressing joke, and here we are living in his reality. I would say it's more snark than glee. Who knows.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

There's this sort of glee in prediction of horrible things which often comes through, I think it's from the feeling of cleverness in making this Astute Assessment of Inevitable Future Trends.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Nessus posted:

Almost 40% non-white now, actually. So an even bigger gap from Euro countries.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Almost 40% non-white now, actually. So an even bigger gap from Euro countries.
Yeah? I'd heard like 33%, but I expect the gap could adequately be explained by counting a slice of the Hispanic population in a different way.

I mean that's the thing, America HAS successfully resisted fascism in the past.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nessus posted:

Yeah? I'd heard like 33%, but I expect the gap could adequately be explained by counting a slice of the Hispanic population in a different way.
it also depends on how you count mixed-race people who identify as white/pass as white/w/e.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nessus posted:

The thing that boggles my mind is that the USA is probably going to end up seeing another wave of immigration from Europe if this poo poo hole goes the way I am expecting it to.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Nessus posted:

A decent number of Hispanics are also white so uh let's just say it's complicated.

The US is about 60% white if you only count whites that are not Hispanic.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

lozzle posted:

A decent number of Hispanics are also white so uh let's just say it's complicated.

huh?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In the United States, a white Hispanic is an American citizen or resident who is racially white and of Hispanic descent. The term white, itself an official U.S. racial category, refers to people "having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa".

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Also don't know if they still count people of Arab descent as white, too. So it's hard to really know from census demographics.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Based on the definitions created by the Office of Management and Budget and the U.S. Census Bureau, the concepts of race and ethnicity are mutually independent, and respondents to the census and other Census Bureau surveys are asked to answer both questions. Hispanicity is independent and thus not the same as race, and constitutes an ethnicity category, as opposed to a racial category, the only one of which that is officially collated by the U.S. Census Bureau. For the Census Bureau, ethnicity distinguishes between those who report ancestral origins in Spain or Hispanic America (Hispanic and Latino Americans), and those who do not (non-Hispanic Americans).[5][6] The U.S. Census Bureau asks each resident to report the "race or races with which they most closely identify."[7]

White Americans are therefore referenced as white Hispanics and non-Hispanic whites, the former consisting of white Americans who report Hispanophone identity (Spanish Hispanic Latin America), and the latter consisting of white Americans who do not report Hispanophone ancestry

As of 2010, 50.5 million or 16.3% of Americans identified as Hispanic or Latino.[1] Of those, 26.7 million, or 53%, also identified as white.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

There's been an ongoing debate for the past ~50 years about whether being Hispanic is a race (like black, white, etc) or an ethnicity (like "I'm white but I'm Irish").

Before the 1960s, Hispanics tried to convince the rest of White America that they were totally white, just like Poles and Greeks and the like. It didn't take.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Also don't know if they still count people of Arab descent as white, too. So it's hard to really know from census demographics.

Hey, if you're from the middle east

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Endorph posted:

Based on the definitions created by the Office of Management and Budget and the U.S. Census Bureau, the concepts of race and ethnicity are mutually independent, and respondents to the census and other Census Bureau surveys are asked to answer both questions. Hispanicity is independent and thus not the same as race, and constitutes an ethnicity category, as opposed to a racial category, the only one of which that is officially collated by the U.S. Census Bureau. For the Census Bureau, ethnicity distinguishes between those who report ancestral origins in Spain or Hispanic America (Hispanic and Latino Americans), and those who do not (non-Hispanic Americans).[5][6] The U.S. Census Bureau asks each resident to report the "race or races with which they most closely identify."[7]

White Americans are therefore referenced as white Hispanics and non-Hispanic whites, the former consisting of white Americans who report Hispanophone identity (Spanish Hispanic Latin America), and the latter consisting of white Americans who do not report Hispanophone ancestry

As of 2010, 50.5 million or 16.3% of Americans identified as Hispanic or Latino.[1] Of those, 26.7 million, or 53%, also identified as white.

I never really thought about it before. It's fascinating.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
the moral of the story is race is weird and arbitrary, especially in America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
To give you an idea how confusing this topic can be, look no further than the Zodiac Killer himself, Ted Cruz.

Stormfront has mixed feelings on whether or not he qualifies as "white."

• Locked thread