Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I continued my practice run on Dead Rising last night. I knew Isabela was still difficult with the MegaMan buster, but Kent of all people almost killed me by juggling me with his stupid kick.

Everything about that guy sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bought Mirror's Edge Catalyst for cheap. It's basically just "the first game, again" but you know what, that's fine. And for all the complaints about the forced melee, it's really not that bad at all. It's pretty hard, but not actually bad.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

precision posted:

Bought Mirror's Edge Catalyst for cheap. It's basically just "the first game, again" but you know what, that's fine. And for all the complaints about the forced melee, it's really not that bad at all. It's pretty hard, but not actually bad.

it's an okay game if you ignore the utterly worthless aspects of it being "open world" which I use in the most stringent way imaginable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I tend to ignore the open world part of every open world game. To me "open world game" just means "you can go to quest markers in slightly different order if you want to".

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Open worlds are only good in games that have a "loving around" appeal, like GTA or Just Cause, without that it's just a waste of time for the developer and the player

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

God drat but Grim Dawn is so poorly optimized. My poor laptop chugs just running it on the lowest settings and it's just intolerable for playing it for more than ten minutes at a time, which is not good. :( I kind of wish I hadn't picked it up at all now, but I got it through the Humble Monthly Bundle so I can't refund it now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I forgot about Mirror's Edge, I'll have to grab that on the cheap too. I didn't really mind the fighting segments in the first game either.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

God drat but Grim Dawn is so poorly optimized. My poor laptop chugs just running it on the lowest settings and it's just intolerable for playing it for more than ten minutes at a time, which is not good. :( I kind of wish I hadn't picked it up at all now, but I got it through the Humble Monthly Bundle so I can't refund it now.

How? That game has visuals from the early 2000s

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tap my mountain posted:

I continued my practice run on Dead Rising last night. I knew Isabela was still difficult with the MegaMan buster, but Kent of all people almost killed me by juggling me with his stupid kick.

Everything about that guy sucks.

did you have to look up what he wants for a picture because i don't think the game actually tells you until the last encounter and it's rude

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got Mirror's Edge Catalyst for my birthday and had a lot of fun with it

The stoy is dumb but what're you gonna do

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

oddium posted:

did you have to look up what he wants for a picture because i don't think the game actually tells you until the last encounter and it's rude

How could I forget the mandatory creepshot?

I think the only way to find out it to look at the scoop on your watch and wait for the description to slowly marquee.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 3, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tap my mountain posted:

How could I forget the mandatory creepshot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTiybIWXd-I&t=139s

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

So true. so True.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

47,455 people playing Paladins :wth:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

tap my mountain posted:

Hey its cheaper than paying for Overwatch.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

tap my mountain posted:

How? That game has visuals from the early 2000s

It's insanely poorly optimized. If I turn up the graphic settings the game literally slows down and has trouble running. My laptop isn't the oldest on the market - it can play Saints Row IV for example - but for some reason Grim Dawn runs like it wants to be XCOM 2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tap my mountain posted:

Open worlds are only good in games that have a "loving around" appeal, like GTA or Just Cause, without that it's just a waste of time for the developer and the player

:yeah:

Or in the case of Skyrim, where loving off to random caves is literally more rewarding than following the scripted story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Hey its cheaper than paying for Overwatch.

A friend of mine literally went from Overwatch to Paladins and I don't understand it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

A friend of mine literally went from Overwatch to Paladins and I don't understand it.

It has that cheap copy feel! I played it during those 2 down weeks before overwatch, it is a sad sad game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

I'm more surprised at the people playing Warframe, but then I haven't played that game in years so I guess they must have added a lot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tap my mountain posted:

I mostly agree but so many games have XP and skill progression now that they've somewhat eliminated the need for fuckin' around by giving players ways to level up and upgrade. Less emergent gameplay opportunities, more RPG-lite functions.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is there like a line you can't cross when you're ripping off another video game because that Paladins trailer is insane to me

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Help Im Alive posted:

Is there like a line you can't cross when you're ripping off another video game because that Paladins trailer is insane to me

The overwatch clone made in china. Please note, this is different from paladins.

League of Titans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfIbnocMZzo

I think Origin picked it up after Steam got Paladins.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 3, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A Paldins dev made a big ol reddit post about how their game wasn't intended to be a clone. I get a sense that they discovered at some point that their game gets more and more successful the more they make it like Overwatch, so they just ran with it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Overwatch's design is derivative as hell (though still better than Paladin's and miles better than Battleborn's) and both games have been in development for years. Like, "guy who throws chain at people and then also pulls them in with chain" isn't exactly some new thing.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

why would you buy battlezone on the ps4 when you can play one of the greatest games of all time on steam, battlezone (1998)?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mordja posted:

Overwatch's design is derivative as hell (though still better than Paladin's and miles better than Battleborn's) and both games have been in development for years. Like, "guy who throws chain at people and then also pulls them in with chain" isn't exactly some new thing.

Man who would of thought Omega Red from Marvel vs Capcom 2 would ever get this popular to be copied into so many games?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

why is she shoehorning words in when she's not even singing to a familiar tune :psypop:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tenzarin posted:

Man who would of thought Omega Red from Marvel vs Capcom 2 would ever get this popular to be copied into so many games?

Omega Red is just Link with a hookshot and Marvel KNOWS it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
People say this describes the current state of Fallout games. I think I get it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I thought "potato face" was a criticism of Elderscrolls specifically and that Bethesda's newest games were finally pulling out of it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ostentatious posted:

why would you buy battlezone on the ps4 when you can play one of the greatest games of all time on steam, battlezone (1998)?
but I want something to play on my stupid expensive goggles :smith:

I mean Rez and rear end in a top hat Sports Bar Simulator and Robot Golf are probably enough but I did try Battlezone as a demo and it felt pretty good. Tank zips around and controls well which I never thought I would say about anything with Battlezone in the name

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Help Im Alive posted:

I got Mirror's Edge Catalyst for my birthday and had a lot of fun with it

The stoy is dumb but what're you gonna do
The first Mirror's Edge's story was horrific though so I don't see it as a huge problem.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CrashCat posted:

I mean Rez and rear end in a top hat Sports Bar Simulator and Robot Golf are probably enough but I did try Battlezone as a demo and it felt pretty good. Tank zips around and controls well which I never thought I would say about anything with Battlezone in the name

You can always cancel a preorder if you want someone else to be the guinea pig for the $500 first run of a technology that is due for either years of improvements or a quick death.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Phantasium posted:

You can always cancel a preorder if you want someone else to be the guinea pig for the $500 first run of a technology that is due for either years of improvements or a quick death.

Yup VR games are gonna suck rear end for awhile. You can only do so much with a bow and arrow simulator.

The rick and morty vr games are the best tho(IMO) In fact all the good ones are for free with the Vive.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 3, 2016

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I have anisometropic amblyopia so I can't use vr but I hope it's fun for you

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CrashCat posted:

Miku vr sounds like a good way to escape our cold unforgiving universe for a few precious minutes

Palpek posted:

The first Mirror's Edge's story was horrific though so I don't see it as a huge problem.

Yeah that's true

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phantasium posted:

Yeah that's the part that bothers me, I tried it out and actually enjoyed it, it would have been much smarter to ignore it and drop my spot in line that I had just grabbed on a whim when they opened up

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The biggest complaint I have about Mirror's Edge Catalyst - actually the only complaint so far - is that the time limits can be brutal, and it's super discouraging to do a mission 95% perfect and still fail because you hosed up once near the end and wasted the literal 2 seconds of wiggle room you have. Even the first timed mission I played, it was absolutely impossible to finish with anything more than 2 seconds on the clock. Even Platinum games have a little more of a learning curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What kind of external memory card do you hook up to a PSTV?

• Locked thread