Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm getting that once-yearly itch to reread all of Negima->UQ Holder, the only manga series ive cared enough to keep regularly current with, despite being in the middle of a Bendis Avengers read through and the fact that's 500 chapters of manna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

:stonk: Jesus, Jim.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He's really mad at all those racist wax sculptures and there's only one way to set things right.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crossposting this from the digital comics thread since it probably has general interest:

Comixology has announced they're publishing digital-only comics.

quote:

Adventure Time Marshall Lee Spectacular from BOOM! Studios with three all-new original Marshall Lee stories set in BOOM! Studios’ bestselling continuation of Cartoon Network’s Adventure Time TV show. The first story features New York Times bestselling writer Mariko Tamaki with artist Audrey Mok, followed by stories teaming up writer Melanie Gillman with artist Trungles and writer S.M. Vidaurri with artist Asia Kendrick-Horton — all found behind a fully painted cover by Fabio Moon. This digital only exclusive is available for pre-order today on comiXology andKindle for $3.99.

quote:

Valiant High from Valiant Entertainment is a hilarious reimagining of Valiant’s award-winning superhero universe by writer Daniel Kibblesmith (The Late Show with Stephen Colbert), artist Derek Charm (Jughead) with a first issue cover by David Lafuente! Before they became the world’s most formidable heroes, they were roaming the halls at a super-powered preparatory academy where Aric “X-O Manowar” Dacia is a record-setting running back, Colin “Ninjak” King is a debonair foreign exchange student, and Coach Bloodshot is way too into dodgeball! Now…Faith “Zephyr” Herbert is about to discover it all for the first time as the newest girl in school! Issue #1 (of 4) of this digital only exclusive is available for pre-order today on comiXology and Kindle for $3.99.

quote:

Harvey Kurtzman’s Marley’s Ghost will see The New Yorker cartoonist Shannon Wheeler, illustrator Gideon Kendall and editor Josh O’Neill expand and complete Kurtzman’s first attempt at the graphic novel form courtesy of the Estate of Harvey Kurtzman and packagers Kitchen, Lind & Associates. Never completed until now, in the 1950s Kurtzman attempted to adapt the Marley’s ghost section of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol with over 70 pages of breakdowns. The completed work will be a 100+ page digital only exclusive graphic novel and is available for pre-order today for $9.99. on comiXology and Kindle with a winter 2017 release date.

http://comicsalliance.com/comixology-originals-digital-exclusives/

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Mr Hootington posted:

It is trash.

That bad, eh?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Skwirl posted:

Can't have that without posting her reaction to finding out that's Deadpool's actual face.

I couldn't leave this without the ending.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

joehonkie posted:

That bad, eh?

Yes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

joehonkie posted:

That bad, eh?

Would Gary Johnson lie to you?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
100% control over your memory would be a good power. You could remember everything you've ever seen or done, but you could sort all your memories into files for ease of access, switch parts of your memory on and off, and you could have a kind of recycle bin for bad memories, with the option to delete the worst ones forever.

It would be very helpful for exams and such, because you could activate your accumulated knowledge of the subject matter (and all you'd have to do to revise would be to ensure that you have read all the materials once) while cancelling any potential distractions by temporarily switching off irrelevant memories.

That's one I've thought about a lot. It would be my favourite "realistic" power. :spergin:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

100% control over your memory would be a good power. You could remember everything you've ever seen or done, but you could sort all your memories into files for ease of access, switch parts of your memory on and off, and you could have a kind of recycle bin for bad memories, with the option to delete the worst ones forever.

It would be very helpful for exams and such, because you could activate your accumulated knowledge of the subject matter (and all you'd have to do to revise would be to ensure that you have read all the materials once) while cancelling any potential distractions by temporarily switching off irrelevant memories.

That's one I've thought about a lot. It would be my favourite "realistic" power. :spergin:

You need the pain, did Star Trek V teach you nothing!?

Anyway, I'd go for mind control. Best IRL cheat code ever.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

In reality there's a lot of superpowers you could have that you could essentially rule the world with if you were subtle about it and didn't run around in neon tights shrieking about missile launch codes. Shape shifting, invisibility, telepathy, etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

Anyway, I'd go for mind control. Best IRL cheat code ever.

Of course you'd instantly go for the rapiest super power.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

:yikes:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

All I learned from that movie is that God probably doesn't need a spaceship.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

All I learned from that movie is that God probably doesn't need a spaceship.

He needed one, he just never answered why.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 4, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Maybe ease up on calling the kid a rapist. She might just like to cheat at poker.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe ease up on calling the kid a rapist. She might just like to cheat at poker.

I'm imaging stuff like "hey rich jerk, this is my mansion" and "Actually, I don't have to pay any of these bills". I'd pay taxes, though, because I'm a patriot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't say she was a rapist, just that it's a rapey super power. Unless you're like a hostage negotiator for the cops I'm having a hard time thinking of a moral way to use mind control in every-day life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why do you assume everyone would rape someone with mind control? Or do you believe mind control is just inherently rapey? (I think that's a perfectly valid thing to believe fwiw, even if I'm not sure I agree)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It does inherently remove someone's free will, even if you don't literally use it to have sex with someone. I kinda see it being sorta rapey.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It is

That's why it's a bad guy power

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
There's definite undertones. I wouldn't call wanting that as a superpower a judge of one's morals, though, so much as "yo this is me trying to min-max life"

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
You guys are reading too much into "What is your power fantasy?"

Most power fantasies are creepy if taken too literally.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Endless Mike posted:

Why do you assume everyone would rape someone with mind control? Or do you believe mind control is just inherently rapey? (I think that's a perfectly valid thing to believe fwiw, even if I'm not sure I agree)
I mean, Kilgrave's one good point in Jessica Jones was that he lives in a world where the concept of consent literally cannot exist.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

I didn't say she was a rapist, just that it's a rapey super power. Unless you're like a hostage negotiator for the cops I'm having a hard time thinking of a moral way to use mind control in every-day life.
Obviously you use it to build and hide a group of teenage vigilantes, hated by the world they are pledged to protect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

purple death ray posted:

It does inherently remove someone's free will, even if you don't literally use it to have sex with someone. I kinda see it being sorta rapey.

Basically this.

It's certainly possible to use invisibility or super strength or teleportation or whatever in creepy ways, but there's lots of ways to use them in non creepy ways, there's not a lot of ways to use mind control and not be creepy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah there's a reason that even with every second character in Marvel being a telepath the heroes basically never mind control people.

Just Professor X, but he's a jerk.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah there's a reason that even with every second character in Marvel being a telepath the heroes basically never mind control people.

Just Professor X, but he's a jerk.

And in the movies he never really "mind control" mind controls people, just kind of shuts them down.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Can I have a superpowered item? Like, say, a slice of pizza that never runs out?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Roth posted:

Can I have a superpowered item? Like, say, a slice of pizza that never runs out?

A mighty weapon against hunger

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

A mighty weapon against hunger

But then there'd be the great responsibility to give it up to Galactus, or at least let it constantly be used to feed hungry people in a constant stream of pizza, or perhaps as an infinite fuel source.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

spooky like this! posted:

And in the movies he never really "mind control" mind controls people, just kind of shuts them down.

There's just the woman in the airport he uses to speak to Mystique that I can remember.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

WickedHate posted:

But then there'd be the great responsibility to give it up to Galactus, or at least let it constantly be used to feed hungry people in a constant stream of pizza, or perhaps as an infinite fuel source.

Make it a full pizza so there's enough to share

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

spooky like this! posted:

You should probably watch First Class.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

That's a comic book character my dude.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

my ideal super power is plastic man's super power.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Make it a full pizza so there's enough to share

You go get your own goddamn pizza.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

You go get your own goddamn pizza.

Rhyno the supervillain over here

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

Rhyno the supervillain over here

Does it count as supervilliany if you just refuse to share instead of doing something actively malicious? Is a man not entitled to the cheese of his pizza?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yes

No

Okay maybe not supervillainy per se but certainly evil

• Locked thread