Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
NO ONE GETS ANY GODDAMN PIZZA ON MY WATCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
My super villain power to make every pizza slice you have contain the toppings you hate most.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It seems like a power really wide open to rules-lawyering. Like is deep-dish definitively a pizza? Can you affect pizzas that aren't sliced?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Face the power of my stand, [L'HOMME RUN]!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Skwirl posted:

I didn't say she was a rapist, just that it's a rapey super power. Unless you're like a hostage negotiator for the cops I'm having a hard time thinking of a moral way to use mind control in every-day life.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, Kilgrave's one good point in Jessica Jones was that he lives in a world where the concept of consent literally cannot exist.
That's not true at all and was Kilgrave trying to justify himself being a creep.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

It seems like a power really wide open to rules-lawyering. Like is deep-dish definitively a pizza? Can you affect pizzas that aren't sliced?

You discovered my one weakness. But just you wait, minute you cut that pizza into a slices it will be filled with asparagus and worms.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

You discovered my one weakness. But just you wait, minute you cut that pizza into a slices it will be filled with asparagus and worms.

Lol if you don't think I'd just shove a whole drat pizza down my throat without cutting it into slices.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I just want to understand any language. That seems like a pretty neutral power.

E: But I guess I'd have to work on appearing really trustworthy because what if no one believes my alien-world/dead-language translations?

Parasol Prophet fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 5, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Parasol Prophet posted:

I just want to understand any language. That seems like a pretty neutral power.

E: But I guess I'd have to work on appearing really trustworthy because what if no one believes my alien-world/dead-language translations?

On the other hand, it'd be a great chance to gently caress with people. "Yeah, according to these texts everyone from this ancient civilization put on animal costumes before they hosed."

Plus, you could be the ultimate programmer, and if you count body language, the ultimate martial artist.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Plus, you could be the ultimate programmer, and if you count body language, the ultimate martial artist.

Ah, tweaking language to stretch what your powers can do, the true power of the B-list super hero/villain

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

irlZaphod posted:

That's not true at all and was Kilgrave trying to justify himself being a creep.
I sympathized with him in that moment. He can't control his power, it's just always on. Imagine being a moral person with that powerset; you couldn't so much as ask someone what they wanted for dinner without worrying that you overrode their free will. I imagine it'd drive you mad quite quickly.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

TwoPair posted:

Ah, tweaking language to stretch what your powers can do, the true power of the B-list super hero/villain

It's like Magneto and "animal magnetism" and so forth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's pretty cool that these fantastical biological processes in their genes operate in English and respect our metaphors.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

It's pretty cool that these fantastical biological processes in their genes operate in English and respect our metaphors.

American is the language Jesus spoke, after all.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

When it comes to Min Maxing life the best power for making money is Time Travel.

Even without looking at Stock Market manipulation or claiming priceless treasures, all you have to do is win the lottery once. Balm instant riches and no one will suspect anything.

Then you can spend your life using that power for good or dickish behaviours as you see fit.

Just so long as you don't get a monkey paws version of time travel that doesn't include travelling through space. (In Deadlands a scientist invented a time machine. When he uses it he travelled to the future. And found himself in deep space as the Earth had moved through the solar system and was in a different part of space from where he had travelled to. )

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bob Kane, regarding the gay subtext in Batman comics and TV

quote:

Batman is the epitome of virility and manliness—just the opposite image of the fag. Wertham read homosexuality into this thing because I had a man and a boy living in a big house together—in the same bedroom—with just a butler and no female around. The doctor read homosexuality into it, through his eyes, but for that matter he also put down the WONDER WOMAN comic as a lesbian invention.

Yeah, there's no gay subtext in Wonder Woman at all, Bob. Go on though, let's see how deep you can dig this hole.

quote:

It was all hogwash but I had to do something about it anyway. So I changed their bedrooms and I added Aunt Harriet—sort of a mother to both of them.

Love how this basically takes the aspect of Stan Lee people can't stand, his love of taking credit for EVERYTHING, and manages to make it more poisonous. What else ya got Bobbo?.....

quote:

Even so, I suppose the homosexuals like the TV show because of those tight outfits Adam West and Burt Ward wear. I imagine they sit around watching them on the screen and slap each other on the knees with the sheer joy of it all, but what can you do about that? I can’t change the characters because they weren’t homos in the first place and because you have to be crazy to fight success.

I hope Streranko really did slap the poo poo out of you. Sincerely.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If Bob Kane was alive today he'd crow about how proud he is for creating such gay icons and how he's always supported gay rights.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I guess if you think the epitome of manliness and virility is wandering around in the dark in pyjamas spooking evildoers rather than rippling muscles and spunking dicks then I can see why you'd think it's the opposite of homosexuality.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean, I suppose the attitude is a product of the time he came of age, but gently caress's sake, what an awful way to look at something you don't understand.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Some people thought Batman was perhaps a little effeminate due to sleeping in the same bedroom with another man and to prove those assholes wrong I put in a sexless nagging mother figure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bob Kane, regarding the gay subtext in Batman comics and TV

Yeah, there's no gay subtext in Wonder Woman at all, Bob. Go on though, let's see how deep you can dig this hole.

Love how this basically takes the aspect of Stan Lee people can't stand, his love of taking credit for EVERYTHING, and manages to make it more poisonous. What else ya got Bobbo?.....

I hope Streranko really did slap the poo poo out of you. Sincerely.

They were sleeping in the same bedroom of a mansion at first?

Also the bit about Wonder Woman is loving beautiful.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

They were sleeping in the same bedroom of a mansion at first?

They were. The 50s crusade against indecency was the first time stuff like that started to seem unusual; before, people never thought about homosexuality at all, so there was nothing wrong with little boys wearing dresses or guys being super touchy with each other. It was an era before no homo.

Then Seduction of the Innocent hits store shelves and suddenly everyone thinks of Batman like this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just a reminder that Bob Kane's tombstone is probably one of the funniest/meanest/dickiest troll jobs ever to be put onto a tombstone.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He really is just deplorable.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
gently caress Bob Kane.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

NO ONE GETS ANY GODDAMN PIZZA ON MY WATCH.

What about Pizza dog?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

gently caress Bob Kane.

http://www.blastr.com/2013-7-10/time-jim-steranko-slapped-bob-kane-san-diego-comic-con

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jim Steranko is basically a comic book character himself.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

I sympathized with him in that moment. He can't control his power, it's just always on. Imagine being a moral person with that powerset; you couldn't so much as ask someone what they wanted for dinner without worrying that you overrode their free will. I imagine it'd drive you mad quite quickly.

He can though, or at least does when buying the house.

Ive actually given some serious thought to what a comic starring the son of one of Kilgrave's victims, who would have the Purple Man's powers but 1) couldn't turn it off, ever and 2) wasn't a mass-murdering sociopath would be like. Because basically it'd be a comic where the protagonist could never, ever speak in declarative sentences. Imagine what life you'd have to lead if you had to police your language to the point where literally everything you ever said was either vague, rhetorical, or a question.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 6, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BRB, going to take a dump on Kane's grave.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Even in Stan Lee's cheesy comic book biography of himself he doesn't really have much good to say about Bob Kane.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

WickedHate posted:

They were. The 50s crusade against indecency was the first time stuff like that started to seem unusual; before, people never thought about homosexuality at all, so there was nothing wrong with little boys wearing dresses or guys being super touchy with each other. It was an era before no homo.

Then Seduction of the Innocent hits store shelves and suddenly everyone thinks of Batman like this.

Children's clothing (pink/blue, dresses/pants) and toys didn't become a thing until the 70's due to Madison ave type ad agencies grunt-working for big corporations. It wasn't a rallying cry against indecency, it was "how to do we create a sustainable, reliable, segmented market to sell more shirts/toys/shoes/hats".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ferrule posted:

Children's clothing (pink/blue, dresses/pants) and toys didn't become a thing until the 70's due to Madison ave type ad agencies grunt-working for big corporations. It wasn't a rallying cry against indecency, it was "how to do we create a sustainable, reliable, segmented market to sell more shirts/toys/shoes/hats".

That's true, but dresses and pants in general were still considered gendered when not applied to children, and were expected to slot into those roles as they got older. While marketing may have separated them in children to begin with, the societal inappropriateness of crossing the streams was a result of growing homophobia and misogyny when LGBT culture and feminism started gaining ground.

Always helped along by marketing, though, naturally, because advertisers love that poo poo.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Senior Woodchuck posted:

gently caress Bob Kane.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Fun" fact, they stopped the Noid campaign after a mentally ill guy with the last name of Noid took some Dominos employees hostage because he though the commercials were about him.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

gently caress Bob Kane.

While DC/WB isn't going that far, they have started to actually credit Bill Finger for his Batman stuff. Now in movies/tv shows when they do the whole "created by/based on characters created by" credit they add "And Bill Finger."

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

spooky like this! posted:

"Fun" fact, they stopped the Noid campaign after a mentally ill guy with the last name of Noid took some Dominos employees hostage because he though the commercials were about him.

It's "cool" though, he killed himself years ago, and in the last month or so they've quietly slipped the Noid back into some of their ads.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The best part is that the founder of Domino's founded some super-Catholic city in Florida.

Yes, he FOUNDED A CITY. It's super homophobic and you can't get birth control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Don't know where to put this. Free month of Marvel Unlimited for new users:

http://slickdeals.net/f/9162255-marvel-unlimited-comic-subscription-free-one-month-trial-coupon

• Locked thread