Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MY STROKE TURNED ME RACIST!
Is Bat Boy involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My father had a massive personality shift about 10 years ago that lead to us actually forming a now wonderful relationship and we chalk it up to an undiagnosed stroke. The research my sister did told us it is actually quite common for strokes/head injuries to cause personality shifts.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's also possible that people can be generally really good and nice and simultaneously hold one or two terrible opinions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jordan7hm posted:

It's also possible that people can be generally really good and nice and simultaneously hold one or two terrible opinions.

yea like, especially with Roma, you can find the nicest little old lady in Europe or whatever and suddenly bring that up and she'll tell you you know Hitler was bad but he had the right idea with gypsies at least or whatever. You can be a perfectly normal person who also has a couple of hosed up views.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Scaramouche posted:

Hasn't David kinda not been the same since his stroke? Wouldn't be the first time a weird change like that has crept up

I had a whole bitchy piece about him ending Hellblazer until I remembered that was Peter Milligan. Like Davids X Factor.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jordan7hm posted:

Obviously, but the discussion concerning his behavior is as much about how bizarre it is(even if he was a hardcore racist, going on that rant, doubling down, etc. is strange) and the fact that he had a stroke+strokes are known to alter people's personalities somewhat makes it not unreasonable to speculate there could be a connection.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
PAD has never made such a public display of hate or ignorance that I am aware of. I'm gonna lean on the stroke theory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That just means he was better at hiding it before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

That just means he was better at hiding it before.

You don't know that. There's tons of medical cases where people have drastic personality shifts due to stroke or head trauma.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

WickedHate posted:

Obviously, but the discussion concerning his behavior is as much about how bizarre it is(even if he was a hardcore racist, going on that rant, doubling down, etc. is strange) and the fact that he had a stroke+strokes are known to alter people's personalities somewhat makes it not unreasonable to speculate there could be a connection.

his behaviour isn't bizarre if he fully believes what he's saying. it's also not surprising why this issue wouldn't have come up in the past, because it's not a very common thing to be asked in a public forum what you think about Romani representation in comics.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it's more likely that as an American he very rarely has to talk about Roma. Seems more likely than magical bigot strokes. Though Geoff Johns is scribbling notes furiously right now.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

In lighter New York Comic Con news, I dressed up as Leonard Ghostal, Space Ghost's retired wrestler grandfather.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think it's more likely that as an American he very rarely has to talk about Roma. Seems more likely than magical bigot strokes. Though Geoff Johns is scribbling notes furiously right now.

Brain damage affecting personality is a proven fact and not magical, but it also isn't particularly likely.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That woman behind you at the counter is like the Platonic loving Ideal of "Woman Working a Convention Show Floor Booth".

Bunch of buttons on a vest, half-sleeve tattoo, prominent bang peeking out under a beanie, lanyard, barely-concealed sneer at all the sweaty nerds around her.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

Brain damage affecting personality is a proven fact and not magical, but it also isn't particularly likely.

I don't think it makes you bigoted about one singular group. I would assume the effect is more in general temperment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think it makes you bigoted about one singular group. I would assume the effect is more in general temperment.

It's caused such specific effects as being unable to count change (but only change) and the complete removal of a swearing filter so yeah, it can be fairly specific.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe he had an iron bar flown through his skull?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Maybe he saw a disabled beggar once and was told it was done on purpose so they could make more money and instead of giving the beggar some money and taking it as a reaffirmation of the importance of social security nets and a progressive tax to lessen inequality so that there isn't a rung on the ladder of prosperity above "beggar" that is "crippled beggar" he just believed that beggar deserved it due to their ethnicity.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I mean, I'm pretty sure the "breaks their kid's legs, look at that kid with a broken leg, the parents totally did it" is a racist rumor in and of itself akin to blood libel.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

yeah a huge part of racism against the romani in europe is based on the idea that theyll use their dirty roma magic tricks to guilt more money out of you

also the stroke thing seems likely, as personality can change a fuckton after one including poo poo like that. a p right-wing racist uncle of mine after his stroke started turning into basicly the most hippie dude

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The guy on the left's mum painted that for Jim Lee :)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLVjJofgr-B/

e: Also, does Scott Snyder know he's making the Dreamworks face in every photo he's ever taken?
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/784806160616521728
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/784805884765560832
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/784409356624334848

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 9, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FutureFriend posted:

also the stroke thing seems likely, as personality can change a fuckton after one including poo poo like that. a p right-wing racist uncle of mine after his stroke started turning into basicly the most hippie dude
Yeah near death experiences can help take the edge off.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
PAD hasn't really shown any major personality shifts up to now, so I really think he just believed this incredibly racist thing a guy told him 20 years ago and it never came up until now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's a little of both, like he always had this misinformed belief but he was able to keep it buried and shut up about it, then the stroke made talking about Romani some sort of trigger that sets him off thinking about his Bucharest trip and getting super-mad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's caused such specific effects as being unable to count change (but only change) and the complete removal of a swearing filter so yeah, it can be fairly specific.

You can lose things, because it's brain damage. Or things you already know can be amplified (this has happened with languages.) You can't gain new things.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hail Hydra

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is it flu season? I feel exactly like I have the flu. I would kick something in frustration but I don't have the energy to move my leg.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Is it flu season? I feel exactly like I have the flu. I would kick something in frustration but I don't have the energy to move my leg.

yes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Awww. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get well soon! And go to a doctor if you can. The flu can be nasty, though you're young and shouldn't have a big problem with it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Aw, thanks. :blush: The concern does help. I should probably get some sleep but I'm too tired to get up and lay down on my bed. Time to crack open Chris Sims' article about comics to read if sick while I still can and I'm not too delirious to concentrate on anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

Probably flu, could be karma.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Probably flu, could be karma.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's the subtitle for tonight's debate

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

site posted:

That's the subtitle for tonight's debate

No, more bullying!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
:abuela:: To catch up on our debt, I pledge as president to sell the contents of Fort Knox to China. No more bullion!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea like, especially with Roma, you can find the nicest little old lady in Europe or whatever and suddenly bring that up and she'll tell you you know Hitler was bad but he had the right idea with gypsies at least or whatever. You can be a perfectly normal person who also has a couple of hosed up views.

This is pretty much my grandmother, she doesn't exactly say that Hitler had some good ideas but that you better watch out for those jews.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I grew up with warnings like this all the time. Like, you'd get a flyer in your mailbox from the local police every other year.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/mchenry-and-boone-counties-warn-about-gypsy-scams/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Had to call the cops on a dude today who would not stop referring to Falcon and Black Panther as the N-word. He wouldn't stop and wouldn't leave but you bet you rear end the cops dragged him out of the store!

• Locked thread