Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Izetta the Last Witch is a new anime set during the outbreak of a fictitious World War II. The country of Germania, having invaded and annexed many of its other neighbors, sets its sights on the Principality of Elystadt in the Alps.

Elystadt is a small country with a weak military. The only foreseeable outcome is total conquest.

Izetta, the last of her clan of witches (now I've said that in three different languages), promises to protect the girl from her childhood: the queen of Elystadt, Fine. As a special weapon for Elystadt, she fights to turn the tides of war.

Our cast. They're designed by Bunbun, also known as abec.

Remember: the characters are in a wartime setting of political intrigue, but the show is about them, not history. Please don't be weird about WWII politics, and happy posting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
First episode was real cool. I'm generally a fan of works that take place in WW2 fictitious or otherwise, so I'm intrigued to see where Alternate WW2 + Witches ends up going

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

*casts a spell on you*

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

First episode was real cool. I'm generally a fan of works that take place in WW2 fictitious or otherwise, so I'm intrigued to see where Alternate WW2 + Witches ends up going

Very similar impression on my part. I hope they lean into any potential romance between Izetta and Fine, because it looks like it could easily be the sort of passionate, grandiose, melodramatic thing I'm a bit of a sucker for even when there aren't lesbians involved. The ending to the episode was cliche, but oooh that's good cliche.

You can definitely see a bit of Code Geass in the setup - what with the witch popping out of the fancypants capsule to make a fairly romantic pact with the protagonist and save the day. I'll be interested to see if the parallels go much farther than that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I appreciate how they have made a very believable European setting. I'm sure you can nitpick details, but they're hitting various cultural and architectural points very well.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Have you tried Tinder?

The first ep's music was pretty. I don't really know this composer so now I'm intrigued. Also, if Izetta can do that to a plane, I wonder if she actually needs the anti-tank rifle.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Space Flower posted:

The first ep's music was pretty. I don't really know this composer so now I'm intrigued. Also, if Izetta can do that to a plane, I wonder if she actually needs the anti-tank rifle.

She just uses it as broom replacement, no need to shoot it. Maybe?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I think she'll fire it because it's too cool to go unused. I mean look at the thing

https://a.pomf.cat/oqtbyo.webm

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Vasenka's War did that concept better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Listening to legit opera in anime is one of my favorite things - it happens so rarely but it's such a treat. The last time was Gankutsuou.

Now, am I correct in IDing the music here at the Queen of the Night Aria? Or am I mixing up tunes?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone know how many episodes we're getting? Haven't been able to to find it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone know how many episodes we're getting? Haven't been able to to find it.

Not the best source, but myanimelist has it down for twelve episodes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not the best source, but myanimelist has it down for twelve episodes.

That's probably a good length for this one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Seems drafty.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

Seems drafty.

Look she just rolled out of bed and had to get straight to work, can't always wear your best pants.

Edit: Rewatched that scene on a whim, and man the production values were really top-notch there. Music was great and the animation and choreography were super detailed and visually interesting. Like I said, the whole 'daring airborne rescue' is fairly cliche, but hoo boy did they sell it well. Hope that's indicative of what's to come.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 2, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Vasenka's War did that concept better.

Haven't seen that yet. Is it any good?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Haven't seen that yet. Is it any good?

It's a manga which will probably never get adapted. It's pretty good.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I enjoyed the first episode. Supernatural girl emerging from containment to save the protagonist was fun in Code Geass and fun here. Fine is a little too perfect as the Platonic ideal of royalty so it would be nice to see more sides of her in future.

I don't think it's too WW2 politics say that the notion of Britain sending land forces to bail out West Austria (?) after the fall of France is preposterous, no matter how beautiful the Austrian princess is. Thank heaven the quasi-Nazis nipped that one in the bud.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

To be fair, I think the hope was more that the notion of an alliance between Britain and Not-Austria would discourage the Nazis from invading in the first place and avert the war entirely. Buuuuut that obviously didn't happen.

I'll be interested to see if the political marriage thing comes back up, or if it died completely when the war started.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I'm in, if only for the habitual look of horror on my wife's face at all the inconsistent and incorrect German text and speech.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

all the german was so frustrating to me!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I liked that a lot! Looking forward to the next episode.

I also liked seeing Mozart credited at the end, plus Sheryl Nome May'n of course.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 3, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Obviously too early to tell, but I wonder if/how the actual Nazis' racism will be touched on in this show. It could be kind of neat if Izetta/Witches are intended as parallels to the Roma - they tend to be kind of forgotten in discussions of the Holocaust's victims.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

To be fair, I think the hope was more that the notion of an alliance between Britain and Not-Austria would discourage the Nazis from invading in the first place and avert the war entirely. Buuuuut that obviously didn't happen.

The British ambassador explicitly states a mainland expedition is out of the question near the start of the conversation, so I took that as the context. I'm also not sure how an alliance would be a deterrent given that Britain is already at war with Germany.

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Obviously too early to tell, but I wonder if/how the actual Nazis' racism will be touched on in this show. It could be kind of neat if Izetta/Witches are intended as parallels to the Roma - they tend to be kind of forgotten in discussions of the Holocaust's victims.

Given the references to the Empire and the Emperor, this could possibly be a setting where the German imperial family somehow clung onto power despite losing vast swathes of territory to Poland on the map consistent with the end of WW1. If so we can neatly sidestep Nazi ideology while still having the Germans be autocratic, militant, and expansionist. Of course, the references to said Emperor's occult obsessions do feel like an allusion to Hitler. Either way I think we'll have to wait and see.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, I feel like part of the setting is to allow then have an aggressive, expansionist "Germany" without the horror of the holocaust. Just....the regular horrors of war.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The first episode is good, though I found the witch character a little bit annoying. I had imagined her personality being different in the lead up to her appearance. Animation was great though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ccs posted:

The first episode is good, though I found the witch character a little bit annoying. I had imagined her personality being different in the lead up to her appearance. Animation was great though.

Yeah, it would've been nice if we'd gotten a line or two more complex than "HIME-SAMAAAAAA." I expect that'll come, though.

a kitten posted:

Yeah, I feel like part of the setting is to allow then have an aggressive, expansionist "Germany" without the horror of the holocaust. Just....the regular horrors of war.

This is probably the most likely scenario. Just saying, it might be cool if they decide to make the Roma connection a thing.

It's been a while since I've been excited about a new show without having a clear idea of where it's all going to end up - the last few shows I've watched as they were coming out were SoL affairs where all the drama is pretty much gone (in a good way) once it's clear whether or not the creators can pull off the tone they want. Also makes me a little nervous, since there's a greater possibility of them loving a show like this up, but eh. Risk, reward, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she had two lines, it's kind of a little early to be making snap judgments of her.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Whoever is doing the research for the setting, weaponry and architecture is top notch, although I laughed when the Germans snuck out of a neutral country in an Italian bomber with German military markings. Subtlety much?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

she had two lines, it's kind of a little early to be making snap judgments of her.

Looks like a Mary Sue to me

Somewhere Sanguine
May 25, 2011
First episode was really solid. I dug the music, and the animation is great. Hoping to see a bit more personality out of the Princess, but it was only the first episode.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I really just can't click with this show. I think I'm just worried that it's made exclusively for Japanese otaku, so it will end up being "The Lesbian Adventures of Lesbian Princess and Lesbian Witch." Buy the Blu-Ray for uncensored shower scenes!! I hope it goes the political drama route, but it will likely just end up becoming Finè must choose between Izetta and her country. Also look boobs and stuff. If it's done well, okay. Otherwise, it could just be another Gate: And So the JSDF Fought There. Tons of style, no tension or actual danger. I really shouldn't judge based on the first episode, but I'm not really looking forward to more at this point. I hope I'm wrong about it.

But hey, someone brought up Gankutsuou. The Princess Finè is more Eugénie Danglars from The Count of Monte Cristo than the Eugénie de Danglars in Gankutsuou. This gives me hope that Finè will remain a consistently strong character if she is based even a little bit off of Eugénie from the book.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well there were no mysterious light beams in the shower scene so that's all we're getting on that front....

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

The Repo Man posted:

I really just can't click with this show. I think I'm just worried that it's made exclusively for Japanese otaku, so it will end up being "The Lesbian Adventures of Lesbian Princess and Lesbian Witch." Buy the Blu-Ray for uncensored shower scenes!! I hope it goes the political drama route, but it will likely just end up becoming Finè must choose between Izetta and her country. Also look boobs and stuff. If it's done well, okay. Otherwise, it could just be another Gate: And So the JSDF Fought There. Tons of style, no tension or actual danger.

I'm usually an overly skeptical rear end in a top hat about this sort of thing, but even I don't see this going in that direction. It might end up being a bad show, but I think from the first episode it's safe to say it will at least try to take its themes seriously. I'd say it's more likely to be another Aldnoah than another Gate, if anything.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

z0glin Warchief posted:

I'm usually an overly skeptical rear end in a top hat about this sort of thing, but even I don't see this going in that direction. It might end up being a bad show, but I think from the first episode it's safe to say it will at least try to take its themes seriously. I'd say it's more likely to be another Aldnoah than another Gate, if anything.

Yeah, I'm definitely willing to give this one a go. I'm still not sure what really rubbed me so wrong in the first episode, but I have 11 episodes to go. It seemed to be trying to take itself seriously, like you said. If the fan service bits are very sparse, I could see it being more Birdy the Mighty: Decode than anything else. Also watch Birdy the Mighty: Decode.

Sakurazuka posted:

Well there were no mysterious light beams in the shower scene so that's all we're getting on that front....

That's kind of what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. That's the normal tell tale sign for a "Hey, buy this on blu-ray/dvd for fully uncencored this-and-that!!!"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm hoping it'll turn out to be Maria the Virgin Witch with more lesbians

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm hoping it'll turn out to be Maria the Virgin Witch with more lesbians

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Repo Man posted:

I really just can't click with this show. I think I'm just worried that it's made exclusively for Japanese otaku, so it will end up being "The Lesbian Adventures of Lesbian Princess and Lesbian Witch."

I don't see how the makings of anything after this part of your post could be gleaned from the first episode. If you haven't seen the promotional art or how the show has been advertised, the stage seems to be centered around Izetta and Fine's relationship. Knowing the writer, the stage will still be very large, probably not edging you out if yuri isn't your flavor.

and the pessimism in that statement sounds weird and idk if you're concerned that an anime running parallel to a market trend is inherently a bad thing or if you're making other judgments in saying it. If a show is greenlit on the basis of "well, x is selling well right now, so go for it," that's not a bad thing. There will inevitably be tons of people involved in the creation process who love x and they'll try their hardest because they're so excited to make what they love. Anime is made for fans of anime, by fans of anime. Izetta is an anime. Solve for x.

Maybe crying "otaku pandering" applies to extreme cases, but it doesn't belong in a thread for a show that's only aired one innocuous episode.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
My concern is that I don't really see where this show can go. WWII is kinda a ridiculously huge topic for a 12 episode series, and I don't see a single witch, (however lesbian), as swinging a conflict involving millions. My worry is that this war is going to end up feeling very small, or it's going to come down to some silly super weapon, or it's going to end with them talking to the Emperor and he's gonna agree to stop invading because his top advisor is evil or something.

For now the series can coast on the bravado of its premise, but I do think there's a threat of it turning out like, say, Galileo Donna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's been excellent ww2 television shows with less episodes than 12 so...

most ww2 movies certainly don't have a running time longer than 240 minutes either

nothing is saying it has to encompass the whole conflict, this can be just 1 front of many and the germans could fail here and succeed elsewhere. you know, like they did in north-africa, with the united kingdom, the soviet union etc

• Locked thread