Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for September, 2016?
This poll is closed.
Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) 32 23.36%
Dean Ambrose (FORMER WWE Champion) 1 0.73%
:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) 68 49.64%
Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) 3 2.19%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:anime: Bobby Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 6 4.38%
:troll: Charlotte (WWE Women's Champion) 1 0.73%
:manning: Michael Elgin (FORMER IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 0 0%
:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 9 6.57%
:cthulhu: Matanza Cueto (Lucha Underground Champion) 1 0.73%
:kamina: YAMATO (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 9 6.57%
:landy: Zack Sabre Jr (PWG Champion) 3 2.19%
:smugdon: These Guys Aren't Winners, They Don't Win Anymore (None of the Above) 4 2.92%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Turns out he did deserve it! Last month Kevin Owens won a monster-dominant victory to return to the polls for the first time since 2012 (as Kevin Steen in ROH), with his nearest "competition" being Finn Balor, Dean Ambrose and Sasha Banks - after a lengthy absence from the winners' circle it really does seem like WWE is back on the ascendant.

Now it's time for Rowdy Ringsports to pick their Pro-Wrestling Champion for this month. To be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. Due to popular demand, PWG Champions and the WWE Women's Champion are now included in the poll. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc (such as PWG/Lucha Underground) those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone - Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread. Thanks as always to NotQuiteQuentin and Beef Jerky Robot for their help with Dragon Gate and PWG respectively.

Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) - Owens spent this month as Universal Champion making a new best friend in Chris Jericho, a new best enemy in Seth Rollins, and added a couple of celebrity rivals to their existing bad blood with Enzo and Big Cass. Beating Rollins at Clash of Champions in a similar controversial fashion to his initial victory (No Triple H this time, but both Stephanie McMahon and Chris Jericho got involved), Owens is taking his trash-talking to the next level and kinda tearing Seth Rollins to pieces in the process. But arguably he still hasn't really had a defining victory as Champion, and the apparent direction towards tags with Jericho and a minor feud with a couple of guys from That 70's Show probably isn't going to elevate him to new heights. There is the distinct possibility that his friendship with Jericho will explode but that's a matter for another month, for now you have to vote for him (or not) based on what he's done this month.

Dean Ambrose (FORMER WWE Champion) - Ambrose's title reign ended on a nutshot, as after a brief bit of interaction with AJ Styles based mostly around crotches, Ambrose got hit with a low-blow by AJ during their title match at Backlash and lost the belt. Their interactions leading up to the match and the match itself were very entertaining, but enough to earn your vote?

:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) - Beating Ambrose with a low-blow, AJ earned his first WWE title and completed a triumvirate - he has now held the WWE Title, the TNA World Title and New Japan's IWGP Heavyweight Title. AJ has been in WWE for less than a year and has proven again and again what people were saying about him for years and years, that he was one of the absolute best wrestlers in the world. Immensely entertaining as a heel, AJ has delighted since his title win in seeing John Cena and Dean Ambrose pitted against each other, including getting involved and costing Ambrose his own title rematch before heading into his next title defense against Cena. The three are working extremely well together, but has AJ's long-overdue arrival to the top of the biggest wrestling promotion in the world got you excited enough to vote for him?

Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) - Adam Cole ended September on a high note, after last month ending Jay Lethal's long title reign he successfully defended his belt against Michael Elgin in the Co-Main Event of All-Star Extravaganza (it did not headline, but the match that did is being called a Match of the Year and one of the best ladder matches of all time). Cole is intended to be the American "leader" of the Bullet Club, which was once the most popular heel stable (or most popular stable full stop?) in the world and it seems that Japan has plans for him too, so a clean victory like this over a guy like Elgin who is getting so strongly pushed in Japan probably indicates Cole has bigger things ahead of him. But was his first month as Champion enough to get your vote?

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - The Ace of New Japan proved yet again just how good he is when he got a well-received match out of Bad Luck Fale, opening the first of his intended series of matches to answer his losses at the G1 Climax. While the match was not for the title, it set Okada's momentum going into what should be an INCREDIBLE match against Marufuji next month - but that's for next month, was Okada's multi-man tags and single non-title match enough to get him your vote this month?

:anime: Bobby Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - We've all been here before, and it's probable we will be again - TNA's future is once again up in the air as questions are asked about whether funding has been secured for this weekend's Bound for Glory PPV and the next set of tapings. By the time this poll closes we'll know one way or the other, but for now Lashley's Championship reign in September is possibly the last of TNA. He started the month with a victory over Mike "The Miracle" Bennett, then spent the rest of the month feuding with ECIII and Moose. He will be facing ECIII at Bound for Glory (provided it goes ahead) this weekend, but that's a matter for next month.

:troll: Charlotte (WWE Women's Champion) - Regaining her title, Charlotte managed to retain it at Clash of Champions in a triple threat against Sasha Banks and Bayley who had pinned each other (though initially not officially) in their Number One Contender match-up. Thanks to the triple threat rules and, of course, her womanservant Dana Brooke, Charlotte was thrilled to once again rub her success in everybody's face. But with Bayley pinned, Sasha Banks successfully made the argument that she should now get her one-on-one rematch and now the two will be facing off again. Will Dana get involved? Will she gently caress everything up? Is there any chance of a clean ending? All matters for another month, this month was all about Charlotte's victory.

:manning: Michael Elgin (FORMER IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - Elgin lost his title but went down with a fight. Assaulted by Naito's fellow LIJ members, after they beat up his buddies (including Hiroshi Tanahashi) Elgin actually took out SANADA, EVIL and Bushi all by himself to make things one-on-one again. Unfortunately for him the distraction was enough for Naito to recover, and that was the end of Elgin's title run in Japan.

:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - Having lost his IWGP Title and missing out on the G1 Climax win many people expected, Naito returned to the IC Belt that still headlines shows but has started to feel less prestigious since the departure of Shinsuke Nakamura in spite of the best efforts of the likes of Kenny Omega and Michael Elgin. Perhaps it is time to retire the IC Belt from the monthly polls, but we'll wait and see how Naito - arguably one of the most popular stars in New Japan today - does with this title reign and whether the IC Belt returns to the prominence it once had.

:cthulhu: Matanza Cueto (Lucha Underground Champion) - Lucha Underground returned for its third season, and Dario Cueto's brother (THE MONSTER, MATANZA!) is still destroying opponents.... but not with quite the same dominance he once displayed. Opening the season with a match against Son of Havoc, Matanza also followed up a couple of weeks later against The Mack. Both guys, as talented and fun as they are, aren't exactly what you'd call top level guys - but Matanza sold for them and had moments where they were clearly on top. Of course he won in the end, but whether deliberate or not there is now a sense that Matanza isn't quite as unstoppable as once thought, that the constant run of opponents to satisfy his brother's bloodlust is wearing him down. Or maybe he's just gonna tear his next opponent apart? For now, Matanza's return and his victories over Son of Havoc and The Mack are all we have to go on.

:kamina: YAMATO (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - The Summer Adventure Tag League break for Dragon Gate is over and The Almighty is back on top. Amongst all the intrigue about Akira Tozawa leaving DG for WWE, he held the Dream Key and cashed it in against YAMATO at DANGEROUS GATE on 9/22. In this war of Dragon Gate's Six Pillars, YAMATO defeated his senior as Tozawa once again walked away from an Open the Dream Gate match without DG's top prize. Dragon Gate hasn't awarded the next Dream Key yet and right now they are focusing on Akira Tozawa's impeding graduation with Team Tozawa Akira matches for the next tour. So for now the Coolest and the Sexiest might be going a while before his second ODG defense. A vote for YAMATO this month is probably confirming that he is the almighty and that he can wear the heck out of suits as seen here

:landy: Zack Sabre Jr (PWG Champion) - While he had no title defenses this month, the Champion did take part in the annual Battle of Los Angeles (BOLA) where he lost to Ospreay in the quarterfinals. This presumably sets him up for a future title defense, though an Ospreay/Sabre match is a no-brainer anyway.

:smugdon: These Guys Aren't Winners, They Don't Win Anymore (None of the Above) - Awful, just awful, real terrible stuff. I'll tell you some friends of mine - great guys, just the best guys, I have the best friends - told me that they absolutely agree with me on this. These are the WORST Champions in the history of Rowdy Ringsports, just the worst. Everybody knows it. I know it. You know it. We all know it. Vote for None of the Above, that's the smart play and I'm a smart guy, the smartest guy - unbelievable IQ on me, I broke all the tests, just phenomenal stuff. You'll wanna listen to me. You know who doesn't listen to me? Losers. Like the guys on this poll.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Jerusalem posted:

:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) - has AJ's long-overdue arrival to the top of the biggest wrestling promotion in the world got you excited enough to vote for him?

THE FACE

that runs

THE PLACE

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
a vote for anyone other than YAMATO is a vote that's wasted

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ZEIE8ENVpM

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Voted for Lashley, because TNA's continued survival is the most impressive victory of September.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:hellyeah: man.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Go watch YAMATO vs Tozawa (starts at around 3:40:00) and then vote for YAMATO because he is cool and good.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

<---------

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I'll let the fact that Becky isn't on the list slide this time cause I'm voting for AJ anyway but I'm gonna be real mad if she's not there next month.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Stanfield posted:

I'll let the fact that Becky isn't on the list slide this time cause I'm voting for AJ anyway but I'm gonna be real mad if she's not there next month.

if you're not going to put becky on the poll might as well only put styles there instead of letting kevin owens on as well

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stanfield posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress, I knew I forgot someone and I feel bad because Becky's a way cooler champ that Charlotte right now. Sorry. She'll be there next month.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Contrary to popular belief, I do in fact want some.

But only because I can't vote for The Miz

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Contrary to popular belief, I do in fact want some.

But only because I can't vote for The Miz

Well, actually, popular belief states that we do not want none. Which means we, in fact, want some or all. Which is why I voted for the champ that runs the camp.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Seems like I can't vote for US Champion Roman Reigns, explain this OP

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Alain Post posted:

Seems like I can't vote for US Champion Roman Reigns, explain this OP

You can't vote for midcard titles. The IWGP IC title is different because

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The Champ that Runs the Camp

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress, I knew I forgot someone and I feel bad because Becky's a way cooler champ that Charlotte right now. Sorry. She'll be there next month.

Close the thread and redo it with Becky listed so we can vote for the rightful champ i.e. not a man.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

has becky won the wwe title? no? didn't think so. gently caress off becky

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Joey McChrist posted:

has becky won the wwe title? no? didn't think so. gently caress off becky

Becky would make a better WWE champion than AJ.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Junpei Hyde posted:

Because it closed Wrestle Kingdom

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

mkay0 posted:

I don't think that's a valid reasoning. Many of the titles on this list have never closed wrestle kingdom, and have been voted for. You'll need better criteria.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mkay0 posted:

The WWE Intercontinental title has closed WrestleMania before why can't I vote for The Miz

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Bubby Leshly

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

IcePhoenix posted:

The WWE Intercontinental title has closed WrestleMania before why can't I vote for The Miz

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

Because for the last 2-3 years NJPW has frequently and regularly (including their latest show) used the IC Title as the headline match (including their own version of Wrestlemania).

I am considering dropping it in the future since I think a large part of it's headline appeal was that Shinsuke Nakamura had it, but we'll see how Naito's run goes with it.

Edit: I have to say, I wondered what people would complain about once Adam Cole finally managed to get regularly on the poll, and I certainly didn't expect it to be the Miz!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

mkay0 posted:

everyone makes mistakes but that doesn't mean we should celebrate them

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The NXT title has both headlined shows and been held by Shinsuke Nakamura.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Jerusalem posted:

Because for the last 2-3 years NJPW has frequently and regularly (including their latest show) used the IC Title as the headline match (including their own version of Wrestlemania).

I am considering dropping it in the future since I think a large part of it's headline appeal was that Shinsuke Nakamura had it, but we'll see how Naito's run goes with it.

Edit: I have to say, I wondered what people would complain about once Adam Cole finally managed to get regularly on the poll, and I certainly didn't expect it to be the Miz!

It is not the top title of the company. It is not a world title. It is never portrayed as a world title. It is designed to develop wrestlers they wish to push to the main event.

There is no reason why the IWGP IC title should be on this poll. If you cared about prestige, the TNA World title wouldn't be on the poll.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Here's an actual serious, unironic suggestion for a title that I feel should be on the poll: The World of Stardom title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Stardom_Championship

It is the top title of its promotion.

It has headlined many of said promotion's shows.

It is currently held by the best wrestler.

You can watch the many matches held for this title easily via http://www.stardom-world.com/

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I agree with Junpei Hyde there, and would like to point out that it's really easy to access Stardom in the west nowadays thanks to Stardom World, which gets you great wrestling for 750 Yen a month

http://stardom-world.com

edit: That wasn't there when I posted this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is this like a PWG thing where they have a show every 2-3 months or so, or is it more regular? If somebody wants to actually write something up for them at the end of this month and PM it to me then I'll add them to the poll and we'll see what if any response there is to them - unless of course somebody has some violent and outraged objection to Stardom being on the poll they wanna bring up now?

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Stardom rules and I think Meiko and Io both deserved to win at least a month in this year and the last

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jerusalem posted:

I think that most people's mockery/complaining simply has to do with the IWGP IC title being an option, because it's one of only two titles available to vote for that's not the top title of the company, and the other one is way more of a special case (WWE Women's championship).

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I would have thought people would be happy to see the NJPW IC title on this list as its likely going to be the only way they one day get to vote for Cesaro.

Keep the dream alive.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Senerio posted:

It is not the top title of the company. It is not a world title. It is never portrayed as a world title. It is designed to develop wrestlers they wish to push to the main event.

There is no reason why the IWGP IC title should be on this poll. If you cared about prestige, the TNA World title wouldn't be on the poll.

I think the rationale is sound. If its a major company singles title that Main Events their Special Events and is a viable option to main event their Big Shows over the top belt, it belongs on the list. Its not about prestige, its about the relative position of the belt within the company, or at least I think it should be. TNA's belt is on the list because as long as they were running weekly national TV and special events they were a major company, and if half of TNA's PPVs and a couple of Bound for Glories were headlined by the X-Division belt that one would be on the poll in addition to their world belt.

(Relevant question: Did the ROH TV title regularly main event a large percentage of their PPVs? I recall seeing it main event one or two since it became highly relevant during Lethal's reign/title for title feud with Briscoe a couple years back, but never consistently and never one of their BIG Big Events, like how the IWGP IC main evented the Dome at least once)

The only exception is the Women's Title because women suffer an unfortunate glass ceiling where they can't compete for the top belt and their belt won't be allowed to main event outside NXT. That being said, now that there's TWO women's belts, its getting more complex. I found myself initially annoyed that Becky wasn't a vote option on this poll, but setting aside THAT MANY slots for WWE wrestlers just for the sake of fair play for the ladies is a bit much.

I propose that a WWE women's title should be under similar "only if its relevant," rules as PWG. Only put a belt on the poll if it was defended on a special event, changed hands outside of a special event, or there is some other unique circumstance to merit their consideration. Otherwise leave them off. That way we'll see Raw OR Smackdown's women's belt instead of having to see both (unless its something like Mania) and if they gently caress around and give us a tag match instead of a title match on any given PPV we don't have to waste the poll space on a midcard act just for the sake of inclusiveness.

Also I really feel like AAA or CMLL should be on this poll, but I think somebody mentioned to me that they don't really have a Main Champion Who Carries The Promotion Banner the way other places do?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cast a vote for my favourite Mom Haircut in WWE, AJ Styles. #womenswrestling

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sanguinia posted:

Also I really feel like AAA or CMLL should be on this poll, but I think somebody mentioned to me that they don't really have a Main Champion Who Carries The Promotion Banner the way other places do?

AAA has the Mega championship which may main event a show (it usually doesnt) or just sit in the middle of the card for no really good reason. It is the unification of 4 other heavyweight belts the AAA had control over.

CMLL has 9 men's singles world titles representing 5 weight classes and the minis and 1 woman's title. It also has a tag belt and a Trios belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The AAA Mega title is a hilarious afterthought, even by AAA standards.

They'll have guys hold the belt for years and you can count on one hand how often they defend it.

• Locked thread