Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I like when they show the old school shootouts. They should bring those back for the ASG or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
gently caress that, bring them back for all shootouts and PK situations. They're great.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Rapids lead Houston 1-0 after 25'. Sure hope they get 1 more...beautiful goal by Badji and an even better pass by Powers of all people.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

And lovely defending on a Houston cross leads to a 1-1 tie going into the half. :sigh:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
What was the reason run up pks were stopped?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Too American/not traditional

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Woohoo 2-1!

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

GASHI! 3-1! :guinness:

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

And two deflections leads to a 3-2 game. That was bad but mostly unlucky.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

whypick1 posted:

Too American/not traditional

That's an awful reason.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Seltzer posted:

That's an awful reason.

Well they don't do shootouts after regular season draws anymore, so it's not like we'd see it very often anyway. We would also be literally the only country in the world doing that kind of shootout, and I can see how MLS thinks it's not worth the effort for the infrequency with which it would take place.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Hell yeah Rapids hold on to win 3-2 and clinch #2 in the west. I'll take that.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

What was the reason run up pks were stopped?

Because they're loving stupid.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

Because they're loving stupid.

They're not though. The only stupid part was having no draws.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

Seltzer posted:

They're not though. The only stupid part was having no draws.

Nah, they're loving stupid.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Can someone provide an argument as to why run up penalties are bad other than its "dumb" "it's loving dumb" "it looks stupid" or "american's should stop trying to change the game" because none of those are good arguments. Run ups are entirely more entertaining than traditional pks and they require more skill. Every non-american I've made aware of the bygone run ups think they're more entertaining.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I like run up PK's. Just not in place of draws.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I like run up PK's. Just not in place of draws.

Yea, I'm talking about having them in the play offs

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

Seltzer posted:

Can someone provide an argument as to why run up penalties are bad other than its "dumb" "it's loving dumb" "it looks stupid" or "american's should stop trying to change the game" because none of those are good arguments. Run ups are entirely more entertaining than traditional pks and they require more skill. Every non-american I've made aware of the bygone run ups think they're more entertaining.

Because, like when they were around, it's just a gimmick to be different. I guess that may fall into "americans should stop trying to change the game", but oh well. The main thing is I have absolutely zero problem with the current way penalties are handled, so it kind of feels like the NFL moving the extra point back, even though I never heard anyone complaining about them being too easy. I would think the majority of soccer fans wouldn't want to change the way penalties are taken either.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Seltzer posted:

If the league wants to be taken seriously by the rest of the world (which I imagine is a goal for everyone in the league hierarchy), to continue the good progress it has made, and be able to attract and retain top talent, they can't make up things like run up penalties. "It looks dumb" is plenty of a reason not to do it. Big sponsors are going to run away from that like the plague.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Today is the day the Sounders clinch a playoff berth.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
What happened to Ivanschitz?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Looked like he landed awkwardly to avoid a challenge. Hope he's good to go Sunday.

Ffffffffffffffuck that was close

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Dynamo should be up 1-0 but for that limp wristed save

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Man he barely got a finger on that shot

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Goddamn you Joe Willis

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Wow that double save was crazy. Both keepers are goin nuts tonight

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
If Jordan Morris wasn't fast, he'd be interning at Facebook's BI department

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

GODDAMMIT OZZIE

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
That was incredibly stupid. Nice job not clinching vs the worst team in the west!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

whypick1 posted:

GODDAMMIT OZZIE

Definite red for Alonso, I would have given a red to the Houston player instead of the yellow. He might not have blatantly poke Alonso in the face but he did have a huge handful and kept him close after talking him.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Sounders maybe still have a chance cause Valdez came to play tonight

e:

El Jebus posted:

Definite red for Alonso, I would have given a red to the Houston player instead of the yellow. He might not have blatantly poke Alonso in the face but he did have a huge handful and kept him close after talking him.

Yea I was surprised when they didn't both get reds with the amount of hands in faces that was happening

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Lodeiro is too good for Seattle.

Imagine signing up to play with Dempsey and ending up playing with Nelson Valdez.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Today is the day the Sounders clinch a playoff berth.

LOOK AT THIS IDIOT

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I will donate :20bux: for every goal Valdez scores for the rest of his Sounders career to charity. I really doubt I will have to ever shell out a dime.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

whypick1 posted:

LOOK AT THIS IDIOT

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Tonight will be my first and last time at Toyota Park in a while. Here's hoping things are better for the Fire and for me next season. I'm just kind of relieved this one's over.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The Quakes are really bad

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

camoseven posted:

The Quakes are really bad

Quotes from week 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven