Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He was also backing Dodson into the cage a lot so it was weird. Sometimes he did good work cutting off the cage and sometimes he'd just chase him like he didn't know how.

EmmyOk posted:

He didn't seem to use them when cutting the cage or herding Dodson but I'm probably wrong or misremembering! My main disappointment with that fight is Lineker/DJ would be mad hype after that.

That fight would be this plus DJ wrecking Lineker in the clinch http://i.imgur.com/2JpI25I.gifv

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mistakinder posted:

He is definitely a twat but he used to be a bullrider and Cerrone is an alcoholic who likes wearing cowboy hats.

Cerrone was rodeo bullrider in high school.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It was not high school rodeo the same way there is high school football.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I knew about a half dozen people in my high school that rode broncs or bulls. It really isn't that crazy if you're in the southwest.

No, it is absolutely crazy. Just not uncommon. Wild horses are scary enough and 2000 lbs bulls with horns is just terrifying. Rodeo clowns are also insane bad-asses.

Anyway, I was watching the first Mighty Mouse - Dodson fight last night and forgot how badly DJ messed him up in the last two rounds. It makes Cejudo's plan of winning the clinch against Johnson look even more baffling. At some point Goldberg said DJ had landed over 100 kicks and knees.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I liked when DC sent Hendo hurling through the air.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

is there anyone else who has multiple weird looking ko's like hendo? he's got the sprawl on renzo, the under the armpit uppercut on fedor, and to a lesser extent the standing back elbow while hopping on one leg on lombard

Machida and Anderson Silva have a bunch of different kinds of cool knockouts.

Just off the top of my head Machida turned Franklin into a bobblehead, tripping Thiago Silva then diving in with a punch at the end of the round, crane kicking Handy, Rashad face, liquifying Clarence Byron's guts, head kick against Munoz and the "clang" against Bader.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Hendo is the prototypical wrestler with big KO power.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ashikan judan posted:

With the caveat that "Of all time" means "since 1989" and is therefore a pretty short conversation, the discussion right now is generally GSP, Aldo, BJ, Anderson, Jon Jones, and Fedor, and of them GSP was dominant in by far the most competitive division.

You forgot someone.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

red19fire posted:

That may be the lasting effect of the McGregor era, everyone who's strung together 2 wins thinks they can poo poo talk their way to a title fight and unreasonable demands.

lmao

Khabib has been talking poo poo his entire time in the UFC though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You can probably make an actual fair case for him to be the fighter of the year. Anderson, Rockhold in the upset, going 5 with Hendo at Hendo's age isn't great on paper but the fight was razor close and Hendo was always tough as gently caress and dangerous so it's not nearly as bad as it sounds on the face of it.

It's Dominick Cruz.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

He loves him and wants to kiss him

It's this and he came off a long injury layoff to beat the champ then embarrassed Faber. I'm not completely serious but it's pretty impressive.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bubblegum Cop posted:

Cruz isn't perfect and he gets tagged. We haven't seen him fight someone with heavy hands on the level of Lineker or as much as it pains me to say it Garbrandt.

We saw him eat flush head kicks from Dillashaw and didn't even look fazed. So unless you think those guys punch harder than TJ kicks we have seen it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

It was very funny imo that TJ said he had a guaranteed flaw in Cruz's style that would lead to a massive KO in round two and then spent round two throwing head kicks with no set-up that missed by ten feet.

People have been saying this about Cruz's style for years but he still goes out and beats everybody.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

manyak posted:

Lol yeah it was definitely close, it was a split decision, pretty much everyone gave TJ rounds 4 & 5 and the first 3 were close enough that if you go back and read the thread or any of the Play by plays the opinion was split on who won them

Also Cruz landed 3 more shots than TJ in the first 2 rounds combined haha, just because TJ threw more and missed doesnt mean he should lose, i dont think you get points for dodging punches. The benefit is that the other guy gasses out from missing so much, except Cruz had crippled himself running away so TJ won rounds 4 and 5

I thought Cruz won the 5th round.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

If you don't get credit for it in the rules, you should. Not getting hit at all is the most effective defence there is and missing your attacks is the least effective striking possible. If you're making your opponent miss, you're exhibiting the best form of defence while having them exhibit the worst form of offence. If you're blocking or parrying blows, you're still taking the impact, just making attempts to lessen it.

Defence is its own reward.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The numbers they flash during the fight are inaccurate as gently caress but they go back and count them later. That second batch is more accurate because it is done with slow motion and such.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

It has nothing to do with accuracy, they don't tell you what really happened.

I was speaking only to the accuracy of those numbers.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

plz dont pull out posted:

Kind of an odd question, but what do people here think about RDA (had that fight happened) and Eddie's chances against McGregor? What are their strengths and weaknesses against him?

They are big and strong, RDA seems like a better offensive wrestler than Alvarez, both of them get hit fairly often and rely on their toughness to eat hard shots. Alvarez may be getting better with this since he's been training with Mark Henry and seems less reckless. RDA is a more varied striker than Eddie who boxes a lot more and they both hit really hard.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

I thought rda was a worse match up for conor simply because he's a southpaw who throws kicks. I think either fight would be cool,and I bet McGregor Alvarez will be cool. I'm not as "hype" for it as I was for say Alvarez/rda, but that was guaranteed to be perfect

The southpaw thing makes a big difference since McGregor is so reliant on his left and I'm embarrassed it didn't even cross my mind.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm going to assume he has a lot more reach and height on Mendes which would help in landing harder punches.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

"I can't make Conor fight anyone"

He's said this about many people because he literally can't make anyone fight anyone. The UFC can only offer fights they cannot force anyone into a fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xjs2fWJEs

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

-Atom- posted:

Dominick Cruz will win.

He's gonna make it look easy despite getting hit more than most people expect.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

manyak posted:

Cruz is gonna totally destroy Cody (run away from him until he gets tired from missing punches then land 2 jabs)

Cruz is actually going to take Garbrandt down and beat him up a lot.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I don't think he ever fought (in a cage for money) after he lost and got busted with an amazing T/E ratio.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Sprecherscrow posted:

The best part is the Stranglehold stats.

A lot of that is Joseph Benavidez.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

Pretty much every song with a good record is one that some guy who fights/wins a lot uses every time.

On the other hand there is Gabriel Gonzaga and "Mother."

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Pettis is going to gas badly trying to keep up with Holloway.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Ferguson gets hit incredibly often.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Street Horrrsing posted:

Oh wow this fight fell through for reasons but keep it in your head! My issue is that there are tons of aging fighters 35-40 at MW who deserve a title shot at but he's mysteriously unavaible to fight them and once again he's trying to fight retired or inactive fighters. Is this really a controversial position. Second to cardio, bisping's main ppv ability is being able to make every fight he enters into a grudge match. But this time it's personal! Better wait for the champion to face an unranked foe.

It is the other people who are unavailable. Every top middleweight already has a fight booked and a fight with Diaz would make him way more cash than anyone else. He was also probably cleared by a doctor. Your meltdown is really weird and dumb.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I mean he's right, a lot of people think Diaz beat Condit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mistakinder posted:

Well, perhaps Hendo put a bit more effort into his training for this one since it was his last fight, for the title and against the mouthy gobshite to end all mouthy gobshites. Thats a lot of motivation to rise above previous performances.

It's because he sat back and countered which is easier on cardio than trying to brawl or pressure Bisping.

• Locked thread