Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This does make me realize just how much I wanted to gently caress Barbatos throughout the series, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Shinjobi posted:

This does make me realize just how much I wanted to gently caress Barbatos throughout the series, I guess.

While this is probably a terrible line of conversation to go down, I can't help but think it'd be the one doing the loving. Hateful, hateful loving.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zebulon posted:

While this is probably a terrible line of conversation to go down, I can't help but think it'd be the one doing the loving. Hateful, hateful loving.

Maybe at the start of season one it wouldn't be too bad but by the end of season 2 it would be an absolutely terrifying experience.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

You're not editing this mistake away.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
lol just lol if you wouldn't gently caress a giant death robot

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Me when I see a sweet-rear end robot: I want to be inside you...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RottenK posted:

lol just lol if you wouldn't gently caress a giant death robot

I think it is more of a question of who is giving and who is receiving.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

Me when I see a sweet-rear end robot: I want to be inside you...

You're thinking about how much you want to **** Barbatos, aren't you?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
it doesn't matter all love is beautiful

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Midjack posted:

Who said I wanted to?:wink:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
this conversation went places

KoB
May 1, 2009

Midjack posted:

what mistake

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Graham Aker gettin' a whole bunch of support here.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

tsob posted:

This one?

What the gently caress

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Psycho Landlord posted:

What the gently caress

yeah I don't remember that happening in the show

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The artist who did them (and was involved in the show too if I recall) apparently just enjoys drawing naked girls (many do really). The other box sets art isn't as weird.

I quite like both pictures. I understand the reaction to the first's naked twin hug, but I just think both covers are gorgeous looking so I don't really care honestly.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
to the thread, it seems the iron blooded boyfriend all along was Barbatos all along

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

tsob posted:

The artist who did them (and was involved in the show too if I recall) apparently just enjoys drawing naked girls (many do really). The other box sets art isn't as weird.

I quite like both pictures. I understand the reaction to the first's naked twin hug, but I just think both covers are gorgeous looking so I don't really care honestly.

Yeah this one is fantastic.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

The style reminds me a lot of this guy who used to do work for Capcom in the Street Fighter III / SNK vs Capcom days. Can't remind for the life of me his/her name, though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm pretty sure they're by Akira Yasuda, who also goes by the name "Akiman" and who has, I believe, worked on the Street Fighter games and for Capcom.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure they're by Akira Yasuda, who also goes by the name "Akiman" and who has, I believe, worked on the Street Fighter games and for Capcom.
Checked the ANN page on Turn A and sure enough! That's the guy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Snooze Cruise posted:

to the thread, it seems the iron blooded boyfriend all along was Barbatos all along

:thumbsup:

Barbatos always had your back.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one could say it's a cordial relationship

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Will there be a series set in the Calamity war? I wanna see some robot dragons getting hosed the hell up in glorious battles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

one could say it's a cordial relationship

:frogout:

I laughed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Will there be a series set in the Calamity war? I wanna see some robot dragons getting hosed the hell up in glorious battles.
Outside of either a manga or a novel, I doubt we'll get one.

But I'd be down for a prequel story told from the point of view of Barbatos and be all about reminiscing about its past loverspilots.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Caught the first few episodes of season 1 at the con, so I've picked this up finally.

I am so glad Notkamina isn't dead by episode 10.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Funny thing, I could see Okada and Nagai returning to do another joint for the Post-Disaster Timeline. I just wish that if it's a thing, that they go at it with an OVA / ONA format (kinda like Unicorn or Thunderbolt) instead of the old 24 or 50-ish episode misery toboggan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ranzear posted:

Caught the first few episodes of season 1 at the con, so I've picked this up finally.

I am so glad Notkamina isn't dead by episode 10.

Orga is very different from Kamina.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

RottenK posted:

The shocking twist to McGillis is that there was no twist and he really is just a psychotic manchild who had no plan beyond "I HAVE BAEL" and didn't backstab Tekkadan.

And that owns.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kamina was a sane mind in a crazy, weirdo universe. By comparison, Orga is crazier than a shithouse rat in a sane but cold, uncaring universe.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Orga is very different from Kamina.

"He's actually the strong one, I just put on this act to keep pushing him in the right direction" is pretty fuckin' Kamina. He's just a bit smarter so far is all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mika is the one that pushes orga, not the other way around

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ranzear posted:

"He's actually the strong one, I just put on this act to keep pushing him in the right direction" is pretty fuckin' Kamina. He's just a bit smarter so far is all.

You're getting their relationship reversed. (Though depending on how far you are that's understandable.)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You're getting their relationship reversed. (Though depending on how far you are that's understandable.)

Yeah, only episode 12 or 13 now, but I do see the hints towards the reverse.

He sure did carry a great big 'Definitely Not Kamina' flag for the first half of S1 though.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 19, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Kamina was a sane mind in a crazy, weirdo universe. By comparison, Orga is crazier than a shithouse rat in a sane but cold, uncaring universe.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that.

Part of the reason Orga is tragic in season 2 is that, unlike most of Tekkadan and McGillis, he knows better. And in the end, he's the one who gets off the crazy train. Yes, he gets off too late to save himself, Mika, Akihiro, Hush, Shino, and a lot of nameless or near nameless grunts, but he wakes up, sees the costs, and does everything possible to get his people out while realizing that, yeah, he's pretty much getting what he deserved for his ambitions.

Orga plays crazy to impress Mika, and because the desperation play was the only one available for a long time. The tragedy is how he doesn't stop until it's almost too late, long after he could have bailed and left Tekkadan to drift away from the battlefield.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The thing with Orga is whenever he tries to look back and slow down, there is Mika asking "What's next?" Orga has no recourse but to keep on going forward.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
anyone wondering about why Orga didn't turn back earlier should remember the train scene with Mika in season 1

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RottenK posted:

anyone wondering about why Orga didn't turn back earlier should remember the train scene with Mika in season 1

In season 2 it's even worse, because he's got everyone standing behind him asking "what's next?" and if he tries to slow down or back away, they just will not take no for an answer and psyche him right back up into doing something bad for that slim hope they might win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I mean, to be honest, most of Tekkadan had no real reason to think that their approach was flawed in any respect. Being insanely audacious and reckless and responding to all of their problems by applying brute force had catapulted them from indentured child soldiers being used as cannon fodder to being financially secure and leading relatively comfortable lives. Even Orga was entirely okay with this approach up until the very moment that he became 100% certain that McGillis had sold him a con; remember that his response to Jasley's actions involved him almost immediately breaking ties with McMurdo, an extremely powerful patron and protector who held him in high favor, in order to commit Tekkadan to a murderous revenge strike.

Orga only had real second thoughts once he was absolutely certain they were hosed and they were all going to die if they kept going, and by then it was far too late to back away from the cliff even if the rest of Tekkadan would have allowed him to.

• Locked thread