Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Another month, so time for a list of brand new shows that hit the airwaves in order of airdate. Feel free to give feedback on them as they air, so the ones that won't get a thread have a chance to be seen by at least 3 people. Apologies the descriptions for these gets cut off, I'll try get full ones on them if I can find a quick an easy way to do it. Data comes from http://pogdesign.co.uk/cat which is still really good and you should use it.

Westworld
Starts 2nd Oct 9:00pm On HBO
The story revolves around a futuristic theme park staffed by robots that can help guests live out their fantasies. The park breaks down, however, and two guests taking a Wild West adventure find themselves stalked by a gun-slinging...Selected by 16982 Users

Timeless
Starts 3rd Oct 10:00pm On NBC
A mysterious criminal steals a secret state-of-the-art time machine, intent on destroying America as we know it by changing the past. Our only hope is an unexpected team: a scientist, a soldier and a history professor, who must use the machine's prototype to travel back in...Selected by 15520 Users

Conviction
Starts 3rd Oct 10:00pm On ABC
Lawyer and former First Daughter Hayes Morrison is about to accept a job offered from her nemesis, NY District Attorney Wayne Wallis, to avoid jail time for cocaine possession and avoid hurting her mother's Senate campaign. Working with his team at the new Conviction...Selected by 6001 Users

No Tomorrow
Starts 4th Oct 9:00pm On CW
When a risk-averse, straight arrow, female procurement manager at an Amazon-like distribution center falls in love with a freewheeling man who lives life to the fullest because he believes the apocalypse is imminent, they embark on a quest together to fulfill their...Selected by 6631 Users

Frequency
Starts 5th Oct 9:00pm On CW
A female police detective in 2016 discovers she is able to speak via a ham radio with her father (also a detective) who died in 1996. They forge a new relationship while working together on an unresolved murder case, but unintended consequences of the 'butterfly effect'...Selected by 10442 Users

Divorce
Starts 9th Oct 10:00pm On HBO
Frances is a desperate woman who decides to leave her husband, Robert, after more than a decade of strained marriage. However, it's not as easy as she hoped, especially when Robert starts bringing in the big guns, the lawyers. As the divorce turns into a very, very...Selected by 2344 Users

Insecure
Starts 9th Oct 10:30pm On HBO
Insecure explores the black female experience in an unclichéd and authentic way. Issa, like many of us, tries to figure out what - and who - she wants in life, and how to take control of it. Meanwhile, Molly is a successful corporate attorney who appears to have it all but...Selected by 538 Users

Shoot the Messenger
Starts 10th Oct 9:00pm On CBC
The series follows Daisy Channing, a young reporter trying to balance a messy personal life with a burgeoning career. Things begin to go sideways for Daisy when she witnesses a murder she thinks is gang-related, only to find herself slowly drawn into an interconnected web...Selected by 1148 Users

American Housewife
Starts 11th Oct 8:30pm On ABC
American Housewife follows Katie Otto, a confident, unapologetic, plump wife and mother of three, raises her flawed family in the wealthy town of Westport, Connecticut, filled with "perfect" mommies and their "perfect" offspring. She lets us in on her deepest, most...Selected by 2223 Users

Channel Zero
Starts 11th Oct 9:00pm On Syfy
A child psychologist returns to his small town home to investigate the mysterious disappearance of his twin brother and a slew of other children in the 1980s, and how it is connected to a bizarre local children's television show that aired at the same...Selected by 3550 Users

Falling Water
Starts 13th Oct 10:00pm On USA Network
Three unrelated people slowly realize that they are dreaming separate parts of a single common dream. Each of them is on a mysterious and highly personal quest - one is searching for his missing girlfriend, one is searching for a lost child, one is looking to cure his...Selected by 4428 Users

Graves
Starts 16th Oct 4:00pm On EPIX
Former two-term President Richard Graves embarks on a Don Quixote-like quest to right the wrongs of his administration and reclaim his legacy 25 years after leaving the White House. His enlightenment takes place just as his wife Margaret Graves decides it's finally time for...Selected by 1391 Users

Berlin Station
Starts 16th Oct 5:00pm On EPIX
Follows Daniel Meyer/Miller, who has just arrived at the CIA foreign station in Berlin, Germany. Meyer has a clandestine mission: to uncover the source of a leak who has supplied information to a now-famous whistleblower named Thomas Shaw. Guided by veteran Hector DeJean...Selected by 3334 Users

Eyewitness
Starts 16th Oct 10:00pm On USA Network
Two teenage boys secretly meet up in a cabin, bear witness to a shooting and barely escape with their lives. Desperate to keep their relationship a secret and in fear of being found by the perpetrator, they remain silent but soon learn that what has been seen cannot be...Selected by 842 Users

Man with a Plan
Starts 24th Oct 8:30pm On CBS
A contractor learns that parenting his three young children may be the most difficult job he's ever had. When Adam's wife goes back to work, he's overwhelmed by his new responsibilities at home, but with the encouragement of his wife and a few equally stressed-out parents...Selected by 4688 Users

The Great Indoors
Starts 27th Oct 8:30pm On CBS
A renowned adventure reporter, who has spent his life exploring the edges of the earth, is now taking a desk job in the digital department of the magazine. He must adapt to the times and his new world. He's struggling to grasp the lingo of online click-bait and listicles...Selected by 3806 Users

Pure Genius
Starts 27th Oct 10:00pm On CBS
A young tech billionaire builds the ultimate cutting-edge hospital that treats only the most rare and insurmountable medical mysteries. Lending credibility to this new venture is a maverick surgeon who's the first to discover that his boss's mission is to get bureaucracy...Selected by 6789 Users

People of Earth
Starts 31st Oct 9:00pm On TBS
Journalist Wyatt Jones is skeptical when he investigates a support group for oddballs who think they have been abducted by aliens - yet the more he learns, the more confused, intrigued, and seduced he...Selected by 1076 Users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
How is it the Epix has two of the shows of the 3 shows on this list I want to watch?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sbaldrick posted:

How is it the Epix has two of the shows of the 3 shows on this list I want to watch?

The first two episodes of Berlin Station have been on their Youtube channel for a while. I enjoyed the hell out of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They aired the first episode of Falling Water after the Mr Robot finale and it was okay. It suffers a little too much from set up and not really explaining what was going on.

And of course Westworld was fantastic.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Falling Water sounded interesting enough but by about halfway through I was more interested in messing with my phone. If people are positive after a bunch of episodes, maybe I'll go back to it.

Excited to finally watch Westworld tonight.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Timeless is loving poo poo garbage from a butt

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Conviction is very dull. Not bad enough to be interesting, mostly very generic and nondescript with half-hearted attempts at an edgy protagonist. Hayley Atwell is good but nobody has anything to work with.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Taco Defender

BiohazrD posted:

Timeless is loving poo poo garbage from a butt

It does not help that the protagonists are making plenty of dumb decisions.

The soldier seems to have completely forgotten that the one thing, the one thing they have to not do is CHANGE history. So what's the first thing he does? He tries to save the life of a woman who was doomed to die. What a shithead. Who cares that she looks kinda like your dead wife - it's not your wife, you know it's not your wife, and you're specifically there to Not. Change. History. Moron.

And then he kills someone in a hangar and everyone decides to hang around there in that restricted area for hours, and put a light on when it gets dark to ensure that the guards might notice. Surprise, they get caught by the cops like idiots because they hung out in a hangar with a corpse for hours for no good reason at all. Take the tools you need and leave.

The ending butterfly effect stuff was kinda neat, but other than that this show feels like a real drag.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I enjoyed it but probably because I don't analyse action movies or shows to death. They're all loving stupid and full of plot holes and impossibilities.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Bill and Ted's Focus-Grouped Reboot

Edit: Lol Timeline is poo poo

:bigtran:. What if the Nazi's find your modern handgun (they figure out plastics I guess?)

:clint: I don't care because I'm edgy and tortured and here are my conflict points

:sharpton: Hi I'm quadrupling down on the concept of the token black guy. haha old-timey racism sure is kooky. This joke will never get old.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 4, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought Timeless' biggest problem was how it just kept constantly throwing out mysteries and problems. The stuff with the sister came off as kind of unnecessary and a little half baked because they barely did anything with her. Obviously the character would care if she got erased but the audience doesn't because we don't really know her.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That has less to do with it being a bad show, and more to do with it being a pilot. If it keeps going in this pattern, then it will be a problem.

As it is, I'm cautiously optimistic. I really liked Fringe, and this has a similar vibe (and Fringe was pretty goddamn brutal for the first few episodes, too).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, Timeline was pretty bad. Like I said in another thread, it feels like something they've had on the shelf since the '90s and decided to put into production for some reason.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I think the worst part about Timeless, besides everything of course, was black Elon Musk. It was so hamfisted and pointless

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It does not help that the protagonists are making plenty of dumb decisions.

The soldier seems to have completely forgotten that the one thing, the one thing they have to not do is CHANGE history. So what's the first thing he does? He tries to save the life of a woman who was doomed to die. What a shithead. Who cares that she looks kinda like your dead wife - it's not your wife, you know it's not your wife, and you're specifically there to Not. Change. History. Moron.

And then he kills someone in a hangar and everyone decides to hang around there in that restricted area for hours, and put a light on when it gets dark to ensure that the guards might notice. Surprise, they get caught by the cops like idiots because they hung out in a hangar with a corpse for hours for no good reason at all. Take the tools you need and leave.

The ending butterfly effect stuff was kinda neat, but other than that this show feels like a real drag.

there's basically no way to enjoy a piece of fiction with time travel in it if you leave the 'tactical realism' switch in your brain on

of course characters are gonna make mistakes and gently caress up history, that's the whole point of having characters go back into history times in the first place

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Taco Defender

PT6A posted:

I enjoyed it but probably because I don't analyse action movies or shows to death. They're all loving stupid and full of plot holes and impossibilities.

Brother Entropy posted:

there's basically no way to enjoy a piece of fiction with time travel in it if you leave the 'tactical realism' switch in your brain on

of course characters are gonna make mistakes and gently caress up history, that's the whole point of having characters go back into history times in the first place

I’m all for turning my brain off to watch some silly popcorn shows. I do that for lots of shows and I enjoy them. Of course I’m not expecting everything to go completely perfectly and the heroes make no mistakes, that would be boring. There’s a difference, though, between making mistakes and doing completely stupid things you were explicitly told not to do, things which go completely against the reason you’re there in the first place.

It’s like you’re going out for the evening and you get the neighborhood's best, 5-star-review babysitter to watch your kid. You give them one instruction: Do not put the baby in the washing machine. They nod and say “Got it. Do not put the baby in the washing machine”. Then 3 hours later you get home and where’s the goddamn baby? In the washing machine, of course.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I’m all for turning my brain off to watch some silly popcorn shows. I do that for lots of shows and I enjoy them. Of course I’m not expecting everything to go completely perfectly and the heroes make no mistakes, that would be boring. There’s a difference, though, between making mistakes and doing completely stupid things you were explicitly told not to do, things which go completely against the reason you’re there in the first place.

It’s like you’re going out for the evening and you get the neighborhood's best, 5-star-review babysitter to watch your kid. You give them one instruction: Do not put the baby in the washing machine. They nod and say “Got it. Do not put the baby in the washing machine”. Then 3 hours later you get home and where’s the goddamn baby? In the washing machine, of course.

you know you just basically described a sitcom gag right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

Yeah, Timeline was pretty bad. Like I said in another thread, it feels like something they've had on the shelf since the '90s and decided to put into production for some reason.

NBC is actually being sued about it because some Spanish production company says they were shopping the premise around and claim that the person they talked to specifically said they were going to show it to Eric Kripke.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Taco Defender

Brother Entropy posted:

you know you just basically described a sitcom gag right?

You do know that the show I was describing is a drama and isn't trying to play itself for laughs, right?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

You do know that the show I was describing is a drama and isn't trying to play itself for laughs, right?

no but i assume it's trying to play itself for entertainment and accidentally loving up history sounds entertaining to me

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Brother Entropy posted:

There's "making mistakes" which might happen in a good time travel show, and then there's "deliberately loving up the timeline because you're a goddamned idiot" which is this show.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

They kept explaining that you can't go back in the past to fix a mistake you made, so the whole time I thought ”ok, then have someone else do it”.

I wasn't really impressed by the show and thought it was mostly boring.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Doctor Butts posted:

They kept explaining that you can't go back in the past to fix a mistake you made, so the whole time I thought ”ok, then have someone else do it

'Can't go back to where the machine already was' I suppose, although that doesn't make much sense either. Yeah, I love time machines, airships and Johnson from Peep Show but that was crap. Needed a lot more Johnson for a start.

Wasn't there a time travel sitcom coming? What happened to that?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Their justification was no one could go back in their own timeline. In the case of the soldier dude that no one can remember the name of, it was explained to him that he can't go save his wife.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

Their justification was no one could go back in their own timeline. In the case of the soldier dude that no one can remember the name of, it was explained to him that he can't go save his wife.

Oh, Blinovitch. Well that never made any sense either.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Conviction is very dull. Not bad enough to be interesting, mostly very generic and nondescript with half-hearted attempts at an edgy protagonist. Hayley Atwell is good but nobody has anything to work with.

Yeah I gave it a shot because I miss Hayley Atwell (RIP Agent Carter) but it was really really boring

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The explanation wasn't that you couldn't go back, it was that creating a paradox would be really, really bad. There's a much more elegant argument against temporal assassination.

"Paradoxes are bad. If we order you back in time to kill someone and you do it, then you'll never be ordered to go back in time and kill them and boom, paradox."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mentioned this in the show's thread but I really liked No Tomorrow. I was already a fan of Joshua Sasse from Galavant and Jesse Rath from Defiance and I though Tori Anderson as the lead was a lot of fun too.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watch Westworld.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I liked Timeless. It had pilot-itis for sure but I think it has a chance of being good. Plus it has Lem from Better Off Ted and I like him. Hopefully they'll let him act instead of just being "lol black guy in da past".

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
So far Timeless is poo poo to me. Gonna give it one more week.

It's just...

Meh.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Other than 2/3 people who are being sent back in time by the government to preserve history being on board with loving around with history I think Timeless's first two episodes have been fine.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
This thread seems to be the unofficial Timeless thread.

My biggest complaint about Timeless is that the bad guy obviously has some sort of end goal and some reason for Lucy to trust him and even help him in her future, but instead of sitting her down and explaining what Rittenhouse is and why it matters and all the stuff that would otherwise explain the big mystery, he just yells at her to stay away from him or whatnot.

I do think it would have been a more interesting series if the history they were trying to preserve was different from our own like someone suggested, but obviously that wouldn't really play well with wider audiences, so we're left with this. I like it so far, but I'm a huge fan for anything with a remote hint of time travel, so I tend to give things a pass.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

thedaian posted:

This thread seems to be the unofficial Timeless thread.

Someone should go back and do something about that.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Anyone going to watch that Channel Zero show? Apparently it's based on the creepypastas and all that stuff.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

THF13 posted:

Other than 2/3 people who are being sent back in time by the government to preserve history being on board with loving around with history I think Timeless's first two episodes have been fine.

Well when they come back history is (to the people that sent them) completely unchanged anyway so I'm not sure it matters. I mean they only have the crew's word that they did anything at all, so why not go hog wild?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Oh hey, Lincoln's about to die and kick Reconstruction in the dick.

Let's get to work to ensure this happens!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The show reminds me of the terrible 60's show The Time Tunnel. Some really should make a thread but I'm way to irresponsible and fickle to do it myself.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
On the subject of Time Tunnel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCvyPRSDl2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

That was pretty great. Hell, it even had the current Dr. Who in it.

• Locked thread