Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I know there are probably some other threads in here about this, but I'm not going to try and find them. I did that before and found that most of the threads here are boring as hell. It's like going to a comic book store because you're wondering why Ice Man is never in a movie.

Anyway, my question is why do lots of people hate Hillary Clinton so much? I never even considered it before 2008, when this crazy woman in my office went off on me about her when I expressed my dislike of GW Bush. I told her that either of my dogs would be a better president than Bush and all she would say was "BUT YOU WOULD HAVE HILLARY!!!??!!!" (I am not exaggerating the caps or the exclamation points)

Do people hate the idea of a woman president so much that they would pick anyone else? Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EGranwN_uk

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
ok thanks for the video man but what about my question

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I think Hillary hits like 4 or 5 buttons that woman haters just can't deal with.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Hillary Clinton has been an assault on traditional ideas of femininity since the late 70s. She was a working lawyer who kept her maiden name as governor's wife, and radically changed the perception of the office of first lady.

She also is part of a two decade smear campaign by the GOP towards her husband

Finally, she is simply not a very warm or emotive person. She is clearly a bit stand-offish and cold and because she is a woman people find it unbecoming

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Finally, she is simply not a very warm or emotive person. She is clearly a bit stand-offish and cold and because she is a woman people find it unbecoming

sounds like you're kind of a dick

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

gnarlyhotep posted:

sounds like you're kind of a dick

I am not sure why you say that. Misogynistic stereotypes of femininity require women to be meek and warm and submissive. Clinton is stern and a bit cold. It's not a problem with her character, because that is exactly as a president should be. However, you cannot challenge gender roles like that and not receive push back from traditionalists.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not sure why you say that. Misogynistic stereotypes of femininity require women to be meek and warm and submissive. Clinton is stern and a bit cold. It's not a problem with her character, because that is exactly as a president should be. However, you cannot challenge gender roles like that and not receive push back from traditionalists.

Ah, I get it now. Sorry for the dick comment.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZF1SJW7JFw

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!

gnarlyhotep posted:

It's like going to a comic book store because you're wondering why Ice Man is never in a movie.

Iceman was in the first four X-Men films.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceman_(comics)#Film

Edit: technically 1, 2, 3 and 5 since number 4 was first class.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

and here I was wondering why I never post here

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I worry about over-generalizing but really I think a vast majority of it comes from gender.

Like one of the biggest criticisms people seem to have of her is that she is a single-minded careerist who will do anything to get ahead. If she were a man, people would just say she was ambitious. Hillary Clinton represents one of the realest pushes against gender roles in modern society, and of course people are going to hate that. poo poo bro, you were a GBS mod, you have seen first hand how some people act about politically motivated women. Compare the public persona of Hillary Clinton to every other first lady, and you will see why she gets so much negative feedback.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I worry about over-generalizing but really I think a vast majority of it comes from gender.

Like one of the biggest criticisms people seem to have of her is that she is a single-minded careerist who will do anything to get ahead. If she were a man, people would just say she was ambitious. Hillary Clinton represents one of the realest pushes against gender roles in modern society, and of course people are going to hate that. poo poo bro, you were a GBS mod, you have seen first hand how some people act about politically motivated women. Compare the public persona of Hillary Clinton to every other first lady, and you will see why she gets so much negative feedback.

I'm sorry to disapoint you but being a GBS mod doesn't make you a political expert.

Your statement "Compare the public persona of Hillary Clinton to every other first lady" might as well be "Calculate the number Pi to 50 digits".

I don't know, that's why I created the loving thread.

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!

gnarlyhotep posted:

and here I was wondering why I never post here

I just wanted to point out that your analogy was a bit confusing.

To answer your question, my guess is that it has something to do with her being demonized by the GOP on a national level for the last quarter of a century. But maybe it's something else.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

Your statement "Compare the public persona of Hillary Clinton to every other first lady" might as well be "Calculate the number Pi to 50 digits".

I don't know, that's why I created the loving thread.

Fair enough.

This is a good article to let you see how the first lady was viewed when she entered the national stage in 1992

http://qz.com/762881/the-blatantly-sexist-cookie-bake-off-that-has-haunted-hillary-clinton-for-two-decades-is-back/

A highly decorated lawyer was forced to bake cookies for a women's magazine in order to be appealing to the public. Think about how insane that is.

Nancy Reagan, Barbara Bush, Laura Bush, and even Michelle Obama to an extent have all been warm feminine maternal figures who did photo ops and smiled with children in the rose garden. Hillary wasn't, and that upset people because of how shocking it was.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I don't hate Hillary, but common leftist criticisms I've heard are:

1. She voted for the Iraq War, and her foreign policy is still rather Hawkish.

2. Her economic policies resemble those of Neoconservatives of yesteryear.

3. She gets tons of money from companies such as Goldman Sachs, making her the avatar of Money in Politics for some.

4. She's considered extremely untrustworthy (<-don't really get this one).

There also the assorted poo poo Bill Clinton has done, and people are associating that with her.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fair enough.

This is a good article to let you see how the first lady was viewed when she entered the national stage in 1992

http://qz.com/762881/the-blatantly-sexist-cookie-bake-off-that-has-haunted-hillary-clinton-for-two-decades-is-back/

A highly decorated lawyer was forced to bake cookies for a women's magazine in order to be appealing to the public. Think about how insane that is.

Nancy Reagan, Barbara Bush, Laura Bush, and even Michelle Obama to an extent have all been warm feminine maternal figures who did photo ops and smiled with children in the rose garden. Hillary wasn't, and that upset people because of how shocking it was.

I honestly had no idea that women were still treated so second-class. drat. Makes John Lennon even more of a prophet than I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl-7-wjQO1k

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neo_Crimson posted:

3. She gets tons of money from companies such as Goldman Sachs, making her the avatar of Money in Politics for some.

#4 is the root of the other two. Like there's no serious way you can justify #2 without saying at some point "well sure she says progressive things but I don't believe her".

Hell, it's the root of the Iraq War vote hate as well. Or do you wonder why no one gives Joe Biden poo poo for it?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

computer parts posted:

#4 is the root of the other two. Like there's no serious way you can justify #2 without saying at some point "well sure she says progressive things but I don't believe her".

Hell, it's the root of the Iraq War vote hate as well. Or do you wonder why no one gives Joe Biden poo poo for it?

All politics is a huge load of bullshit

always has been

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

Neo_Crimson posted:

A long history of lying to the public probably has something to do with it.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

J Corp posted:

I'm happy that we get some of the crazy ones in here too!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Going by the open sewers that are my local Fox station's facebook feed, the reasons du jour among people who venomously hate her (as in far beyond merely just not liking her that much) seem to be that they can't let go of Benghazi despite a dozen republican-led investigations that spent a few million dollars to come up with nothing, and they can't let go of the email thing, which also came up with basically nothing, and things turning out that way rather than her being in prison for... some reason... makes them really angry.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

J Corp posted:

But probably less than most other public officials so I'm not sure why she stands out for so much hate.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
part of it is misogyny

part of it is inherent accusation of any democrat of being corrupt as a part of partisan politics

part of it is distrust of career politicians

part of it is the entrenched clinton legacy, which hooks into distrust of career politicians

part of it is simple internet enabled delusional outrage

part of it is an active smear campaign to attack hillary on her weaknesses, re: all of the above

part of it is hillary being the figurehead of a dominant democratic party, really exploiting republican demographic weaknesses in the electoral college to invoke an overwhelming sense of defeat among woke republicans

ultimately hillary isn't any more or less trustworthy than any other lifelong politician, for what that's worth

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 3, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
really though imo the biggest part of it is that hillary clinton is the most prevalent example of a smart, capable woman excelling in a leadership role and millions of americans still struggle with that concept. like, look at how many people hated obama because he's black? as many people hate hillary because she's a woman, except it's more acceptable to be a soft misogynist in america in 2016 than a soft racist

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'm happy that we get some of the crazy ones in here too!

Is your argument that she hasn't or that it doesn't matter?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

raditts posted:

Going by the open sewers that are my local Fox station's facebook feed, the reasons du jour among people who venomously hate her (as in far beyond merely just not liking her that much) seem to be that they can't let go of Benghazi despite a dozen republican-led investigations that spent a few million dollars to come up with nothing, and they can't let go of the email thing, which also came up with basically nothing, and things turning out that way rather than her being in prison for... some reason... makes them really angry.

There are different reasons people hate her. For example, I've only ever seen right-wing folks bring up Benghazi, and it's pretty obvious that if it wasn't Benghazi or The Emails it would be something else. Most right-wing folks hate Hillary because they strongly disagree with her perceived ideology, and in order to validate themselves and their own identities, they need to have concrete reasons they come up with after the initial emotional response (the phenomena of "emotional reaction" -> "consciously justify reaction" isn't unique to right wingers, just a good example of it in action). She's an especially big target for hatred because she's on the path to become president, just like Obama was (and possibly still is?) the Anti-Christ to a lot of right-wingers.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
Ambition is not tolerated in women in our society.

Simple challenge. Name a movie with a heroine who is openly ambitious, portrayed in a positive light, without being a rape-and-revenge trope, that isn't based on a real woman.

Some examples of movies that do not meet this challenge:

Hunger Games - Katniss spends the whole series being tricked/used into being a symbol of rebellion. She has no personal goals beyond her own survival.

Kill Bill - kiddo is good now because upon becoming pregnant she gave up being an assassin and settled down. Her flashbacks to when she pursued her ambitions were when she was an evil assassin.

Erin Bronkovitch - based on a true story.

Every royal female character - being born to power and trying to do a good job is not aspiring to it or asserting that you are better suited than others to it.

Flashdance - based on a true story.

X-men - being born to power isn't aspiring to it. Also the good female mutants are almost never protagonists and constantly have horrible drawbacks to their powers that cause them to mope around all the time whining about wanting to be normal.

Black Swan - could have been a Rocky style movie about a woman striving to become an amazing ballerina the way Rocky wanted to become a great fighter ( and the way the star of flashdance did ). But instead she's a nervous wreck being driven to dance to please her shrew of a mother.

Ambition in a female character always heralds their status as a villain. Heroes can venture out to "win" a throne - and presumably a hot princess - in our stories but not heroines. If a woman specifically seduces princes they are a heartless evil gold digger. Unlike Heros who can cheerfully take the quest to win the hand of the princess - thereby becoming the next king - without worrying overmuch what the princess thinks about all this.

It's incredibly difficult to even find a training montage about a female character. The montage period gave boys a gazillion training montages in everyone from chess to skiing and gave girls makeover montages in which they passively sat there while other people made them pretty. Kill Bill has training montages from flashbacks to evil kiddo. Rape-and-revenge trope chars have them to gain the skills to enact revenge. There are a few "involuntary training" montages where someone else forces a female character through training of some kind. There are a poo poo ton of "magical girls" who "OMG, I'm good at this? Neat. I've never practiced at it" like the adorable heroine of Butter who was an accomplished child sculpter with no instruction. And now there are plenty of skilled female chars who presumably worked hard at some time in the past to become good - but the story of them pushing themselves for their own advancement is never told. Starbucks, Brienne, and Vasquez simply are. Sprung into being fully formed.

You see the same thing in real life where most female athleticism is presented as art only - the vicious competition happens behind the scenes in the auditions. All you see is the victors take their victory laps in shows. Think about how elegant she looks as she twirls. Not about the rivals she crushed to get there.

So we have been conditioned since our earliest days to associate "ambitious woman" with "villain" because in all the stories we hear and see ... well they almost always are. Real life isn't like the movies which is why movies based on real life buck this trend. But the net effect means that the neural pathways in your brain between the concepts of ambition, woman, and evil are well worn and if two light up the third is raring to go.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

J Corp posted:

Is your argument that she hasn't or that it doesn't matter?

Protip: You might want to list some of those deceptions if you actually plan on changing anyone's mind or defending your position. gnarlyhotep is legitimately asking, and you probably shouldn't immediately attack him for a flippant response to your nearly content-less post.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

I don't hate Hillary, but common leftist criticisms I've heard are:

1. She voted for the Iraq War, and her foreign policy is still rather Hawkish.

There also the assorted poo poo Bill Clinton has done, and people are associating that with her.

These seem like pretty good reasons.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

McAlister posted:

Simple challenge. Name a movie with a heroine who is openly ambitious, portrayed in a positive light, without being a rape-and-revenge trope, that isn't based on a real woman.

Princess and the Frog, maybe?

Ixnay on the Omelet
Sep 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Personally, aside from Maggie Thatcher, I could never vote for a woman leader.

Also it's messed up that we've had 2 Bushes and likely will have 2 Clintons. The US wasn't supposed to have royal families.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Ego-bot posted:

Princess and the Frog, maybe?

I'll check it out, thanks. =)

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

McAlister posted:

I was thinking about this recently and I realized I can name plenty of movies with ambitious heroines, they just all happen to be aimed at children:
Kiki's Delivery Service and a lot of Miyazaki's other films
Mulan, Princess and the Frog, Brave
~50% of Disney channel original movies (Rip Girls obviously being the best)

One notable exception I can think of is True Grit, but while not aimed at children the heroine is a child. I guess girls are allowed to be ambitious but women aren't.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

McAlister posted:

:words:

This is a fantastic post but holy Hell is it depressing to read all that spelled out in one :smith:

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I try to have the conversation that McAlistar presents with people I know but they just don't get it. I had a dumb argument with a friend about why I don't watch Disney movies. First of all, I don't have kids like he does. That got a blank stare so I also said the messaging was terrible. But, in Beauty and the Beast you learn that women can be smart and strong, he says to me. I say that despite that, your choices as a woman is to marry an awful douchebag or to civilize a literal animal. The whole story is about putting up with men being terrible as a given in life. Then his wife jumps in to defend how wonderful Disney is and so I just give up. You guys all buy into this stupid narrative about how women are supposed to be.
Then there's me. I'm not living on the fringe pushing gender boundaries or anything like that. I look like a pretty typical woman. I feel like if I buzzed my hair short, grew my armpit hair long and dyed it blue I'd be taken more seriously, even though I'm sure I'd still be treated pretty terribly. But society has decided that if you look like a woman, it's loving weird that you're openly intelligent, assertive, and ambitious. Sorry not sorry for failing to be impressed with Disney showing a girl reading dumb girl books as being a win for women.

So yeah, the anti Hillary crap is pretty naked misogyny.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The only other First Lady you could compare to Hillary is probably Eleanor Roosevelt. Similar background to Clinton prior to becoming First Lady, having worked as an activist leader for the Women's Trade Union League, taught at a prep school, and formed Val-Kill Industries with other women Democratic Party activists, to help local families by giving them the opportunity to produce craft goods; same problems transitioning into the role of First Lady; clashed with other political figures over civil rights, her opposition to the internment of Japanese-American citizens, the implementation of the New Deal, etc. I believe there were also rumors of her being a lesbian.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Protip: You might want to list some of those deceptions if you actually plan on changing anyone's mind or defending your position. gnarlyhotep is legitimately asking, and you probably shouldn't immediately attack him for a flippant response to your nearly content-less post.

I was seriously asking, because if it was the latter, there's not really any point in responding. Here are a few examples though:

Landing under sniper fire in Bosnia, attempting to join the military in the 70s, supporting DOMA only to protect the gay community from worse legislation, her private email server was set up "with the rules and regulations in effect", grandparents were immigrants, the "missing" billing records during the whitewater investigation and her level of involvement in it, leaving the whitehouse broke

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Misogyny has to be part of the reason, as well as long-standing smear campaigns from republicans. But smear campaigns are politics as usual, and there are some particular characteristics of the Clintons in general, and Hillary in particular, that means that these smears have staying power:
  • Both Bill and Hillary are heavy third-way politicians, meaning they attempt to gain the center through triangulation. While electorally successful, there aren't exactly a lot of Clinton-partisans that could form the groundwork of a political movement, simply because it's boring.
  • Unlike Bill, Hillary just isn't a charismatic person. Obama oozed charisma and confidence, but Hillary cannot orate nearly as well as you'd expect a president to. There's nothing really wrong with the substance of what she says, and she's clearly a very clever person, she just too much of a, well, nerd.
  • She's very reserved and secretive, even when she has no reason to be. This means that people tend to assume the worst, without actually needing to. The latest 'leak' of one of her speeches is the best example of this. The content of her speech is pretty much exactly what she has said on the campaign trail, but without actually listening to it, people would assume it's damaging, simple because it was 'secret'.
  • She's the definition of an 'establishment politician', in a time and place where there is rock-bottom trust in establishment politics, for reasons that are beyond her control - by which I mean, it's mostly the fault of the republicans. Government shutdowns, redistricting, obstructionism, etc, all of that has had an effect in the public trust of political institutions, and no one has more experience than Hillary right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

skeet decorator posted:

I was thinking about this recently and I realized I can name plenty of movies with ambitious heroines, they just all happen to be aimed at children:
Kiki's Delivery Service and a lot of Miyazaki's other films
Mulan, Princess and the Frog, Brave
~50% of Disney channel original movies (Rip Girls obviously being the best)

One notable exception I can think of is True Grit, but while not aimed at children the heroine is a child. I guess girls are allowed to be ambitious but women aren't.

I wouldn't call most of those characters ambitious per se. And strong/good female characters can be strong and good without being ambitious.

Kiki is doing what every witch her age does. So she is simply fulfilling what is expected of her. Ambition involves a desire to exceed the norm in some way. They even make a point of mentioning that Kiki is a rather poor witch who is only decent at flying. So engaging in a delivery service is not stretching herself any.

Mulan is responding to threat. She didn't aspire to be a warrior like a young Brienne of Tarth must have. Sure she wasn't happy with an arranged marriage but she didn't run off to join the army in search of fame or fortune. Her father was being drafted and she knew he was to old and frail to serve so she took his place. Much like Katniss volunteered for the hunger games when her sister's name was drawn. This storyline is rooted in the feminine nurturing stereotype, not the masculine ambitious stereotype.

Brave is very magical girl with her already being an accomplished rider and archer. She rebels against tradition certainly, but what does she aspire to? It's a great story and on my "good kid movies" list for sure but Merida's end goals are negative rather than positive. She wants not to be married off. Not so that she can pursue another dream instead but rather so that her life can remain precisely as it is. Which gets trickier after she accidentally turns her mum into a bear.

I haven't seen any Disney channel original movies so I don't know about those. True Grit I haven't seen in forever but what I remember seems like it fits the bill.

But yeah, what little there is is disproportionately pre-pubescent. For adult women I've got ... Well ... The lady in Silver Linings Playbook aspired to compete in a dance contest where they were terrible and scored 5/10. I think that's still ambition - she worked hard and practiced a lot and their efforts were central to the plot. Succeeding in one's ambition isn't the criteria, simply having ambition is.

• Locked thread