Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

SSNeoman posted:

That's quite the loving title

That's the understatement of the year.

This looks very interesting, if it's anything like Danganronpa or Zero Escape it'll be interesting (and educational! Zero Escape always makes me feel smarter after I understand all the psychology, quantum mechanics, philosophy and technology in them.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

CirclMastr posted:

Put everyone on top all the time. Even if they turn into villains. Especially if they turn into villains.

I agree with the action but not the reasons. I say that if we always trust everyone to the max, we will never ever ever get a bad ending!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheMcD posted:

There's a bit of a problem with this line of thinking, and that's because the system is often (like in this case) used to decide between two options. Setting both to max is essentially giving the game ":shrug:" as an answer, and while I cannot confirm this, I believe that it takes that to mean "let's pick the option that brings the player closer to death".

Sorry, I guess I'm used to games where the only way to get the true ending is to max relationships with everyone.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Logicblade posted:

She seems pretty calm and composed, like she knows what's going on. Let's not trust her.

Bottom
She seems pretty calm and composed, like she knows what's going on. Let's trust her.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hey, are the choices going to branch off into different routes like a tree, or are they just "One correct choice and the rest just kill you"? If it's the former I could possibly cook up some kind of flowchart to show our decisions (no guarantees).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Whelp, that was some Zero Escape-level poo poo that just happened.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheMcD posted:

I told you having a connection with Uchikoshi means that your games suddenly become more like his because of his brain parasites.

I meant in terms of "Gory bad endings".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright. How could they have gotten that far in without keycards?

A. They did the classic firefighter technique of chopping down doors with axes-
Not possible, the doors are metal.

B. Some doors were already open-
Not possible, the doors shut after use.

Well, that's two lines of rational reasoning gone, so I'll go with THE MORPHOGENIC FIELD DID IT.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 11, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Two things I'd like to ask:

One: Will we ever get to choose Watase's own trust level in this route?
Two: The Before route is not these events from Natsuhiko's perspective, right?

Kids: Top
Ena: Top-Middle
Yuuri: Middle
Keiji: Low

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Science lesson- Check.
Psychic powers- Check.
Enclosed area- Check.
Nine people- Check.
Time limit- Check.

All we need is an escape puzzle (not happening), a branching decision tree (also not happening) and a major scientific/psychological principle to base the setting on (unlikely, but possible) and we'll have gone full Zero Escape!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Try making it a competition! It really helps. Let's say...

"I will finish LP'ing this before Danganronpa V3 is released!"

Or something of that description. Having a goal with a deadline (sort of) can help motivate you and make you work harder.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ok, weird intuition.

The "amnesia" is some sort of mind swap. Not sure who Real Watase switched with, but Monster and Natsuhiko are what my inuition say.

Again, it's just a gut feeling. I'm probably wrong.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hey, McD. Would you mind if I just kind of sort of talked about something I researched that has something to do with this game (The Enneagram of Personality Types)? I saw the OP and what it said, and I realized I had done a project on it in school before. Would you be okay with it?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Jun- Top
Jun has been trustworthy this whole time, and I don't think it's gonna stop.

Watase- Top
No reason to not be self-confident.

Kazami- High-Top (So, 7)
Kazami's been the voice of reason (barring the whole CPR on a dead chick thing) so she needs to be kept high.

Yuuri- High
She needs the emotional support of our trust. Plus, she's adorable!

Ukita- Middle
He seems shady, but I don't think he's a bad guy. He's probably a good guy stuck in a bad situation.

Ena- Bottom
Miss Teacher Breasts, on the other hand, has "I'M HIDING SOMETHING" written plain across her face.

Natsuhiko- Bottom-Low (1)
We've barely seen him, but he does seem incredibly suspicious. He does seem a bit better than Ena.

Louise- Low
That picture of her in a fire does make me think she might have something to hide. Pyromaniac? Pyromancer? Something like that.

Mashiro- Middle-High (5)
I think she's pretty safe. Nothing seems... Wrong about her, at the very least.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My "The fourth wall will be broken into a million pieces" sense is tingling! As for what... Let's just say it's similar to a late-game plot twist regarding Zero Time Dilemma's major mechanic.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 5, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Hey, maybe don't give out wink-wink-nudge-nudge spoilers for a completely unrelated game in this thread?

Gotcha, spoilered. Oh, and I'm sorry about that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

OddHaberdasher posted:

Basically, at the very end we hear some water bubbling noises (think scuba diver breathing out) and Watase, who's presumably still in the water since it has a radio-esque filter on his voice, says "What is this? The hell is going on?" (paraphrased).

Let me guess: The Apocalyse happened while they were inside.

Calling it!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wait. I just realized.

Watase sounds like the Japanese word watashi, which roughly means "I". Either that's a pun, I reading to far into things or it's foreshadowing.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 14, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sorry. I just realized that they sound similar (at least to an English speaker with scattered Japanese knowledge scrounged up from anime, video games and Google Translate).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Guys, just a theory, but in the future, be on the lookout for the numbers 4, 9, 16 and 25. 36, 49, 64, 81 and 100 as well. Just a hunch.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Mashiro: Top
Yuuri: High
Louise: Top-High
Natsuhiko: Top

And now for Psychology Time With Junpei! I promised I'd get around to this, so I'll get started with:

Enneagram of Personality Types: The Basics

So the basic theory of the Enneagram is that most people can be classified into nine different kinds of personalities:

This picture illustrates all the types. The lines indicate how someone of said personality type can act like another in times of stress or relaxation. For example, a Reformer (1) acts like an Individualist (4) when stressed and an Enthusiast (7) when relaxed. I'll go more in-depth into how each type works later, but for now, I'll just use this picture from the SSS tutorial to show which character is which type:

Keiji is a Reformer, acting like an Individualist (Salyu) when stressed and an Enthusiast (Natsuhiko) when relaxed.
Mashiro is a Helper, acting like a Challenger (Jun) when stressed and an Individualist (Salyu) when relaxed.
Ena is an Achiever, acting like a Peacemaker (Yuuri) when stressed and a Loyalist (Kazami) when relaxed.
Louise is an Individualist, acting like a Helper (Mashiro) when stressed and a Reformer (Keiji) when relaxed.
Watase is an Investigator, acting like an Enthusiast (Natsuhiko) when stressed and a Challenger (Jun) when relaxed.
Kazami is a Loyalist, acting like a Achiever (Ena) when stressed and a Peacemaker (Yuuri) when relaxed.
Natsuhiko is a Enthusiast, acting like a Reformer (Keiji) when stressed and a Investigator (Watase) when relaxed.
Jun is a Challenger, acting like an Investigator (Watase) when stressed and a Helper (Mashiro) when relaxed.
Yuuri is a Peacemaker, acting like a Loyalist (Kazami) when stressed and an Achiever (Ena) when relaxed.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 23, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Whoa, a little after I post the first bit about the Enneagram it comes up in the story. That was incredibly good timing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wait... Yuuri's situation sound very similar to Akane's from 999.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Everyone's talking about theories and predictions and I'm just sitting here squeeing because OMG NAT KISSED MASHIRO YES!!!

To celebrate, the latest:

Psychology Time with Junpei!

Today's topic: Watase's type in the Enneagram!

The Investigator

In Brief: Investigators are alert, insightful, and curious. They are able to concentrate and focus on developing complex ideas and skills. Independent, innovative, and inventive, they can also become preoccupied with their thoughts and imaginary constructs. They become detached, yet high-strung and intense. They typically have problems with eccentricity, nihilism, and isolation. At their Best: visionary pioneers, often ahead of their time, and able to see the world in an entirely new way.

Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
Basic Desire: To be capable and competent
Key Motivation: Want to possess knowledge, to understand the environment, to have everything figured out as a way of defending the self from threats from the environment.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
drat, Natsuhiko! You straight-up Mind Crushed Watase! That's pretty badass! To celebrate the completion of Route Before:

Today, we'll discuss Natsuhiko's Enneagram type.

The Enthusiast

Sevens are extroverted, optimistic, versatile, and spontaneous. Playful, high-spirited, and practical, they can also misapply their many talents, becoming over-extended, scattered, and undisciplined. They constantly seek new and exciting experiences, but can become distracted and exhausted by staying on the go. They typically have problems with impatience and impulsiveness.

At their Best: they focus their talents on worthwhile goals, becoming appreciative, joyous, and satisfied.
Basic Fear: Of being deprived and in pain
Basic Desire: To be satisfied and content—to have their needs fulfilled
Key Motivations: Want to maintain their freedom and happiness, to avoid missing out on worthwhile experiences, to keep themselves excited and occupied, to avoid and discharge pain.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So Current is "Route After with running commentary by Natsuhiko Tenkawa"?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Duh. Louise is from France, she said so.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheMcD posted:

That's not the full answer, though.

Oh, right, why did you ask that question.

It feels like Louise is there purely for the sake of not having all the major characters be Japanese, despite them not really looking like it.

But that seems too meta of a twist to really matter. I don't think this game will pull a meta twist ala Zero Escape, so discard that line of thinking.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheMcD posted:

Oh, no, I didn't mean it like that. That wasn't the full answer to "where is Salyu from". We know more than that.

Oh, I was answering your parenthesized "And why am I asking this question?".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well, it's time for...

Today, we'll go for a triple with all of Nat's friends!

The Individualist, Helper and Peacemaker

Louise
Type 4 in brief: Fours are self-aware, sensitive, and reserved. They are emotionally honest, creative, and personal, but can also be moody and self-conscious. Withholding themselves from others due to feeling vulnerable and defective, they can also feel disdainful and exempt from ordinary ways of living. They typically have problems with melancholy, self-indulgence, and self-pity.
At their Best: Inspired and highly creative, they are able to renew themselves and transform their experiences.
Basic Fear: That they have no identity or personal significance
Basic Desire: To find themselves and their significance (to create an identity)

Mashiro
Type 2 in brief: Twos are empathetic, sincere, and warm-hearted. They are friendly, generous, and self-sacrificing, but can also be sentimental, flattering, and people-pleasing. They are well-meaning and driven to be close to others, but can slip into doing things for others in order to be needed. They typically have problems with possessiveness and with acknowledging their own needs.
At their Best: Unselfish and altruistic, they have unconditional love for others.
Basic Fear: Of being unwanted, unworthy of being loved
Basic Desire: To feel loved

Yuuri
Type 9 in brief: Nines are accepting, trusting, and stable. They are usually creative, optimistic, and supportive, but can also be too willing to go along with others to keep the peace. They want everything to go smoothly and be without conflict, but they can also tend to be complacent, simplifying problems and minimizing anything upsetting. They typically have problems with inertia and stubbornness.
At their Best: Indomitable and all-embracing, they are able to bring people together and heal conflicts.
Basic Fear: Of loss and separation
Basic Desire: To have inner stability or "peace of mind"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, I was wondering: Is there a theme to the chapter names?

After: Basic descriptions of items or events in that chapter
Before: Description of place, or quotes from literature
Current: Word/SYNONYM OR ANTONYM OF PREVIOUS WORD IN ALL CAPS

Is this about right?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheMcD posted:

Kind of - the names in Current are a descriptions of what happens in the chapter from the two different viewpoints. So in Support / SUSPICIONS, Watase supports Ena when the others distrust her, but Natsuhiko has suspicions. In Terror / ERASURE, Watase is scared shitless of Yuuri, and Natsuhiko erases his memory. There's also some minor themes, for instance during Chapter 6 of Route Before, where every title is "*PERSON*'S *THING*".

A "theme" of sorts is also that the chapters from Natsuhiko's viewpoint are in all caps - you can notice that in Route Before, since when we go to Mashiro's point of view, the titles go to regular case.

I see.

Mashiro's perspective chapters seem weird: Magnetic Rose is a film, Sonata in B Flat is a piece of music, but When Cidada Season Is Over and Odyssey In The Sky With Denpa have me stumped.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 11, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, wow!

Are the other three not bible quotes, then?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hey, it's time for another...

Alright, today's lesson is about our rescue squad members!

The Loyalist and The Challenger

Kazami:
The committed, security-oriented type. Sixes are reliable, hard-working, responsible, and trustworthy. Excellent "troubleshooters," they foresee problems and foster cooperation, but can also become defensive, evasive, and anxious—running on stress while complaining about it. They can be cautious and indecisive, but also reactive, defiant and rebellious. They typically have problems with self-doubt and suspicion.
At their Best: internally stable and self-reliant, courageously championing themselves and others.
Basic Fear: Of being without support and guidance
Basic Desire: To have security and support

Jun:
Eights are self-confident, strong, and assertive. Protective, resourceful, straight-talking, and decisive, but can also be ego-centric and domineering. Eights feel they must control their environment, especially people, sometimes becoming confrontational and intimidating. Eights typically have problems with their tempers and with allowing themselves to be vulnerable.
At their Best: self- mastering, they use their strength to improve others' lives, becoming heroic, magnanimous, and inspiring.
Basic Fear: Of being harmed or controlled by others
Basic Desire: To protect themselves (to be in control of their own life and destiny)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So whatever radiation Yuuri was bombarded with acted as some sort of BC power booster?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
But that would undermine the entire story to just go "lolparody" on us.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think that the code for the room Yuuri's in is Nat's birthday or something like that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So back to the "Chapter naming scheme" talk, it seems like we're keeping the "Watase's perspective in lower case, Natsuhiko's in ALL CAPS" one.

But these Yuuri chapters have a new one: "Japanese words: English words". What do the Japanese portions translate to?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

To the English words.

I... should have seen that coming. But thank you for that information nonetheless, One and Only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, because I'm looking at everything here, what do the words Yuuri wrote and replaced mean? Orihime and Hikoboshi, that is.

• Locked thread