Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've read arc 3, and I've enjoyed it a shitload more than arc 2. Arc 2 is a silly ungrounded rpg-world, while arc 3 is pure action-thriller. Arc 2 overuses the unreliable narrator character and starts killing them off way too quickly before they are adequately developed, while arc 3 only uses it only a few times and with a light touch. It does reuse a few earlier scenarios, like Grace's cannons blasting the poo poo out of a constantly regenerating Pam wing, or Pukin being a more more competent version of Ruler. The characters are somewhat less cliched, the relationship between Pfle and Shadow gale is pretty stereotypical, while the relationship between Grace and Funny Trick, or that between Rain Pou and Postarie, are somewhat complicated. I also enjoyed that Pam didn't job out against Sonia, but had to be outright backstabbed.

As for what the purpose of making more magical girls is? This is a story about bureaucratic overreach, the very purpose is to expand your influence. Any fuckups in your department, you shift the blame on a rival department. It's all turf wars and paranoia and deception. The villain of arc 3 was never a big deal, it's just that the threat-response alarms within various departments were sabotaged to go haywire, so everyone threw their best resources into the scenario and escalated until it blew up in everyone's faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

I've read arc 3, and I've enjoyed it a shitload more than arc 2. Arc 2 is a silly ungrounded rpg-world, while arc 3 is pure action-thriller. Arc 2 overuses the unreliable narrator character and starts killing them off way too quickly before they are adequately developed, while arc 3 only uses it only a few times and with a light touch. It does reuse a few earlier scenarios, like Grace's cannons blasting the poo poo out of a constantly regenerating Pam wing, or Pukin being a more more competent version of Ruler. The characters are somewhat less cliched, the relationship between Pfle and Shadow gale is pretty stereotypical, while the relationship between Grace and Funny Trick, or that between Rain Pou and Postarie, are somewhat complicated.

I actually kind of like the relationship between Shadow Gale and Pfle, because of how Shadow Gale simultaneously cares for Pfle while also realizing she's shady as gently caress and being suspicious of her (this is a bigger element post-Arc 3, though I think it also shows up some in 3).

As for Pukin/Ruler, Pukin is way more evil/impulsive than Ruler and doesn't care for her non-Sonia subjects like Ruler does her followers. Their powers are also pretty different (mind control through being cut by Pukin's sword vs being able to force someone to not move from a distance), though I'm not sure if you were also referring to abilities.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The later arcs, are they still battle royale style murderfests, or do they have other themes?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

nielsm posted:

The later arcs, are they still battle royale style murderfests, or do they have other themes?

They have other themes. The 2nd arc is a bit similar in that it's (vague spoilers about the setting, but you find this stuff out near the beginning) a situation that encourages killing, but doesn't require narrowing everyone down to just one or two like Arc 1, but the other arcs aren't like that at all (though people still obviously die they aren't organized games or anything that encourage killing).

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Finally got time to read arc 3 on an awful five hour plane ride where I was boxed in by four infants. As much of an improvement over arc 2 as arc 2 was over 1. Comments:

Wedin's death was completely believable, given that she was a novice and Pythie did use her sense of responsibility as leverage, but of all the students she at least had an easy way to survive by just jumping out of the train. At least with Grace I knew from the opening pages that she was too good for this world.

Pythie really rubs me the wrong way, especially given that she doesn't even seem that good at masterminding things. She has a much higher opinion of herself than she deserves and I really hope the writer doesn't keep her around too long.

Pukin and Mao Pam really going all out and fully exploiting their powers was a real high point. Up to that point all the girls don't really know what to do in a fight or have really straightforward powers, like with Cherna and Sonia. Kuru-Kuru Hime was close herself to figuring out just how far her powers could be taken, what a shame.

• Locked thread