Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Dunmer, been doing the Fire Wizard DK thing for a while with full Magicka and Destro/Resto, though It seems like I've heard people saying Magicka DK is not particularly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

Scyantific posted:

Quality Magicka NB advice and stuff

Out of curiosity, how gimped would it be trying to tank with that sort of build with a Dunmer?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Dunmer make for amazing mag NBs. Tanking as a Mag NB is hard, but doable. Scy had a good writeup on the only thread, gonna c/p it in here:

===

The majority of it is self explanatory, but let me touch up on a few points of interest:
Head/Shoulders: I flex these two spots a lot given that I have multiple tanking combos that I can run. If I need more defense and faster ultimate generation I roll with Blood Spawn. If I'm in a sustain-heavy fight or we're fighting tons of trash mobs, I run Engine Guardian. Malubeth was something I'm currently testing for PvP purposes and probably won't see much use on a PvE-centric tank. I am also wanting to test Lord Warden Dusk for the AoE Physical and Spell resist boost that it offers in case we're in a stack-and-burn type of situation.

Main Armor set: Simply put I run Kagrenac's Hope because of the Magicka regen, Health bonus, and spell damage boost. Here's a secret about sap-tanks in general: They're not really tanks. (Yes ennuid, I'm admitting it). We're basically DPS toons with shitloads of resistance, self-heals, running heavy armor, sword and shield, and taking the larger hits. That's probably the main reason I run this build, because I can rotate my gear/skillbars out and run a solid DPS when needed.

Skills
Bar 1:
Piece Armor - Basic taunt + Spell and Physical Resist reduction on enemies
Refreshing Path - Secondary AoE ability used to draw aggro, and proc my Nightblade's Shadow Barrier passive, increasing my resistances by almost 6k. Also has a heal and speed boost as long as I remain on the path.
Sap Essence - My main AoE DPS skill and self/group heal. The beauty of a sap tank (and sap-based nightblade in general) is that they actually get stronger as the number of enemies increases, both increasing my heals and my damage output.
Defensive Stance - I run this for two things: for the passive block bonuses (8% increase in block mitigation & 8% decrease in block cost), and as an off-dps/CC ability. With trash mobs I just taunt everything and any ranged mobs stupid enough to fire a projectile at me get it back with a nice stun on top (cherry optional)
Stalwart Guard - This is my favorite ability post-DB. It lets me take on 30% of the damage that a party member receives, while granting both of us Minor Force, increasing our critical damage by 12%. This is a pretty hefty DPS boost that will help a lot. Alternatively, if you don't have this skill, you can run Mirage, which gives you Major Evasion, giving you a 20% dodge chance, and also giving you Minor Ward and Minor Resolve, providing a small but semi-useful boost to Armor and Spell Resist.
Ultimate: Veil of Blades - This is an AoE that snares, and reduces damage for all party members inside the AoE by 30%. I hardly use it, and only keep it slotted for the Dark Vigor passive, which increases my health for every Shadow class ability I have slotted (I have Refreshing Path and Veil of Blades slotted which gives me a 6% HP boost)

Bar 2:
Inner Rage - Ranged taunt. Simple as that. Has a synergy that can be used to trigger an AoE attack centered on the affected target.
Funnel Health - I use this to both deal damage on minor bosses, which heals me and a random party member over time. I also use it while weaving light/heavy attacks to quickly build up ultimate, as Funnel also procs the Siphoning passive Transfer, giving me additional ultimate.
Heroic Slash - I use this for the Minor Maim and Minor Heroism status effects, which decrease my enemy's damage by 15% and grants me additional ultimate, respectively
Siphoning Strikes - This is another staple of Nightblade tanking. Using this skill gives all my attacks a chance to return resources, allowing me to continue a fight for a very long time.
Stalwart Guard - Same as bar 1. Guard must be slotted on both bars to maintain the buff
Ultimate: Aggressive Horn - Grants all allies in the area a +10% boost to all stats for about 30 seconds, and grants them Major Force for 9 seconds, which increases all critical damage by 30%. Probably the single most useful/required tank ability in the game. In fights where survivability is key, I usually slot Reviving Barrier, which grants allies a gigantic damage shield in addition to proving a massive heal over time.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Scyantific--that was basically perfect. I've only been playing it for about an hour now, having respecced from my thrown-together stamblade, and it's amazing what an improvement your advice has made. Thank you so much for taking the time to post all that! (Ditto the stamsorc advice.) I would suggest linking those two posts in the OP, maybe.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ComradeBigT posted:

Dunmer Nightblade Tank

Not gimped at all actually. Like I said, my Dunmer nightblade pulls triple duty as DPS, Healer (well, off-healer), and Tank. I've had multiple pick-up groups compliment my build after tanking them through particularly tricky dungeons like Banished Cells II, Crypt of Hearts II, White-Tower, and Imperial City Prison.

In fact, I think it's about time I posted my updated tank build now that OT is out and people seem to be coming back to the game. It basically plays the same as a magblade DPS but built for survivability

Armor Sets
-Setup can be either 5HA/1MA/1LA or 5HA/2LA or 7HA
-Ideal traits should be Sturdy on armor pieces, or Divines if you can't find Sturdy drops. Weapons will be Defending. Shield can either be Infused or Sturdy.
-Armor enchants should be Magicka. Weapon enchant will be Crusher

"Main" Setup (I use this for the legitimately difficult endgame content)
  • 2x Blood Spawn, Sturdy (Head and Shoulder pieces)
  • 5x Akaviri Dragonguard (Jewelry + either SnB or 2 armor), Sturdy (Drop set, Eastmarch region)
  • 5x Tava's Favor, Sturdy (Crafted set)
The Akaviri Dragonguard set is a cornerstone of this build because it reduces the cost of Ultimates by 15%, and when synergized with Blood Spawn and Tava's Favor you're basically dropping 2-3 War Horns during every boss encounter, which is by far the most important buff in any group setting

Optional Armor Choices
  • 2x Engine Guardian if you have sustain issues (you shouldn't)
  • 2x Malubeth if you want more healing
  • 2x Swarm Mother if you want to pull ranged adds towards you
  • 2x Mighty Chudan if you're a dumbass who can't figure out how to keep Major Ward/Resolve up constantly (Hint: Use any ability in the Shadow tree)
  • 5x Brands of Imperium (Drop set, White-Gold Tower) if you're running with idiot stamina builds who are dying at close range
  • 5x Kagrenac's Hope if you want to forgo survivability for more damage/healing output. And faster resurrections for your idiot DPS super-stars who keep standing in stupid.
  • 3x Willpower if you can't obtain Dragonguard Jewelry. Trait can be either Healthy or Arcane.
  • 2x Endurance for Sword and Shield if you're running Willpower

Essential Skills

Class Skills
  • Refreshing Path - This is your main source of Major Ward and Major Resolve, which increases your Spell and Physical Resist by 5260. With Blood Spawn active your resistances should be hitting 33-35k, which is above the resistance hard cap. It's also a decent Heal Over Time skill.
  • Siphoning Attacks - A key skill in a Nightblade tank's arsenal. Whereas Dragonknight tanks get their resources back through the Battle Roar passive when activating Ultimates, we use Siphoning Attacks to constantly regenerate resources during any battle by weaving Light and Heavy attacks and Direct Damage Skills
  • Sap Essence - Our main source of pulling trash mobs. The amazing thing about Sap Tanks is that they get stronger as the number of mobs increases, so this skill is essential during trash pulls
  • Mirage - This skill is key to a Tava's Favor build. Tava's Favor grants 9 ultimate over 3 seconds any time you dodge an attack. Combining this with Akaviri Dragonguard means that you're building Ultimate relatively quickly once you throw in Nightblade passives.
  • Funnel Health - During single-target encounters, you'll want to be weaving this consistently. This skill allows you to deal direct damage to bosses, while also providing a secondary source of heals to your allies, and further speeding up your ultimate gain.
Weapon Skills
  • Pierce Armor - Your primary source of pulling aggro. It also afflicts your target with Major Breach and Major Fracture, reducing their Physical and Spell Resistance
  • Heroic Slash - Another cornerstone skill in any tank's arsenal. Not only does it inflict Minor Main on your target, reducing their damage output, it also grants Minor Heroism, speeding up your ultimate gain.
  • Absorb Magic - Probably the best skill for a tank in the Sword and Shield tree. Not only does it passively help you block just by having it slotted, but activating it against ranged caster targets also helps keep you alive, since it absorbs magic damage and heals you while doing it.
  • Shield Wall - I haven't completely tested this skill out yet, but having zero block cost for 6 seconds pretty much speaks for itself. Further testing is needed on this skill before I can make a decision on it
Alliance War Skills - Yes, this build requires a little PvP action
  • Aggressive Warhorn - As previously mentioned, this is a tank's greatest contribution to any group setting. Aggressive Warhorn increases your entire group's stats by 10%, and grants them Major Force, increasing their Critical Damage by a staggering 30%. This skill is one of only two sources of Major Force in the game.
  • Reviving Barrier - Is your group having trouble staying alive, or have you run into an "oh poo poo oh gently caress" moment during an encounter? Then worry not, this skill is here to save your asses! Not only does it deploy a MASSIVE 35k damage shield to all allies in range, it also drops an amazing heal over time to anyone affected by the skill.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 16, 2016

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

randombattle posted:

Should I buy this game?

I don't know if you should buy it, but I can tell you about how my day today went playing it (I only bought it 2 or 3 days ago and haven't played much yet).

I get a quest to talk to somebody to get certified in some of the crafting skills. After talking to her, I apparently wasn't paying enough attention to the dialogue choices because then I ended up having to go talk to some guy for getting certified on different crafting skills, and the lady wouldn't let me get certified on her set of crafting skills anymore.

So I went to talk to the guy and he told me if I could cook some pork for him, he'd certify me in Cooking and I could then pick up daily Writ of Crafting cooking quests. OK, sounds good. I happen to have some white meat in my inventory (not sure if I already had it or he gave me it as part of the quest). I go cook it, hand it in to him, he's amazed at what a good cook I am and now I'm certified.

I go get the daily quest, I need to brew some beer and cook some chicken. I go back to the cooking station, talk to the merchant, he sells me the beer recipe. I already have the ingredients for it and I already have the cooked chicken recipe. I make the beer. I try to make the chicken. Making it requires poultry, which I don't have.

I talk to the merchant. He sells cooked chicken but not poultry. I buy some cooked chicken hoping maybe the quest just checks for that in your inventory, but no. I go check with all the merchants I can find. Nobody sells poultry. I haven't seen any chickens on my questing in this area. Finally in town I see a thing called a "Bantam Guar" which doesn't look like a chicken, but sort of looks to me like a lizard that looks like a chicken, if that makes sense. I figure this probably follows fantasy logic and will drop poultry.

But it's green, so non-hostile, and I'm in a peaceful town. So I crouch down to hide and kill it. And then when I search it, I find poultry! Score! And as soon as I take it I get a wanted level and a guard starts chasing me. I guess either I was spotted killing it, or maybe spotted looting it? Either way, I don't want to get caught by the guard because if you pay off your bounty, they take all your stolen items and I don't want him to take my hard won poultry.

I run to the cooking station. Along the way a guard stops me. I get an option to pay my fine and hand over all stolen goods, or to flee. I choose to flee, and now I get a message showing me that my wanted level has gone up and the guards will now kill me on sight. Because I killed a not-chicken. Much like in Skyrim, the people of Elder Scrolls Online take these crimes seriously.

I get to the cooking station, cook the chicken, run out of town. I'm now being pursued by 4 or 5 guards but I manage to outrun them and get to the Outlaw Base where I find a fence who will let me pay off my bounty. Now I'm a fine upstanding citizen again AND I have the quest items!

I go turn them in, which involves putting the cooked items in a box at the docks. There's a note in the box which tells me "All across Skyrim and the Ashlands, our trade partners will sing the praises of your skilled hand at the cookpot." So now I guess I'm the best chef in all the land.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CaptainCaveman posted:

I don't know if you should buy it, but I can tell you about how my day today went playing it (I only bought it 2 or 3 days ago and haven't played much yet).

I get a quest to talk to somebody to get certified in some of the crafting skills. After talking to her, I apparently wasn't paying enough attention to the dialogue choices because then I ended up having to go talk to some guy for getting certified on different crafting skills, and the lady wouldn't let me get certified on her set of crafting skills anymore.

So I went to talk to the guy and he told me if I could cook some pork for him, he'd certify me in Cooking and I could then pick up daily Writ of Crafting cooking quests. OK, sounds good. I happen to have some white meat in my inventory (not sure if I already had it or he gave me it as part of the quest). I go cook it, hand it in to him, he's amazed at what a good cook I am and now I'm certified.

I go get the daily quest, I need to brew some beer and cook some chicken. I go back to the cooking station, talk to the merchant, he sells me the beer recipe. I already have the ingredients for it and I already have the cooked chicken recipe. I make the beer. I try to make the chicken. Making it requires poultry, which I don't have.

I talk to the merchant. He sells cooked chicken but not poultry. I buy some cooked chicken hoping maybe the quest just checks for that in your inventory, but no. I go check with all the merchants I can find. Nobody sells poultry. I haven't seen any chickens on my questing in this area. Finally in town I see a thing called a "Bantam Guar" which doesn't look like a chicken, but sort of looks to me like a lizard that looks like a chicken, if that makes sense. I figure this probably follows fantasy logic and will drop poultry.

But it's green, so non-hostile, and I'm in a peaceful town. So I crouch down to hide and kill it. And then when I search it, I find poultry! Score! And as soon as I take it I get a wanted level and a guard starts chasing me. I guess either I was spotted killing it, or maybe spotted looting it? Either way, I don't want to get caught by the guard because if you pay off your bounty, they take all your stolen items and I don't want him to take my hard won poultry.

I run to the cooking station. Along the way a guard stops me. I get an option to pay my fine and hand over all stolen goods, or to flee. I choose to flee, and now I get a message showing me that my wanted level has gone up and the guards will now kill me on sight. Because I killed a not-chicken. Much like in Skyrim, the people of Elder Scrolls Online take these crimes seriously.

I get to the cooking station, cook the chicken, run out of town. I'm now being pursued by 4 or 5 guards but I manage to outrun them and get to the Outlaw Base where I find a fence who will let me pay off my bounty. Now I'm a fine upstanding citizen again AND I have the quest items!

I go turn them in, which involves putting the cooked items in a box at the docks. There's a note in the box which tells me "All across Skyrim and the Ashlands, our trade partners will sing the praises of your skilled hand at the cookpot." So now I guess I'm the best chef in all the land.
This post is awesome. I love that it highlights many of the problems with the game, and many of the reasons why its so great.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Scyantific posted:

Stam Sorc.

Your bars should look like this:
Bar 1 (DW): Rapid Strikes, Rending Slashes, Rearming Trap, Camo Hunter, Bound Armaments, U: Rend or Dawnbreaker
Bar 2 (Bow): Poison Injection, Endless Hail, Hurricane, Critical Surge, Bound Armaments, U: Energy Overload

Hey quick question. Why morph into camo hunter? If I'm reading the tooltip correctly it only does extra damage when you're crouching, and attacking with dual weapons makes you stand up first. Maybe the alternative is just as pointless and it doesn't matter but this looks like a skill you could only ever use with a bow.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
What's the best way to level crafting in this game? I picked it up a few days ago and crafting is lagging way behind adventure levels. Deconstructing loot seems slow, writs seem slow, is there some trick I'm missing or is it just plain grindy?

e: also can @dracneir please get a guild invite

Dracneir fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 16, 2016

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

CaptainCaveman posted:

Can we just put this in the OP under "so, you aren't sure if you want to play ESO"

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Deconstruction Circlejerk used to be the fastest method - join that goon crafting guild, dump your stuff in and take somebody else's for maximum gains. Probably still is, but I can't say if it operates on NA.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
would it be possible to get an invite to one of the deconstruction guilds on NA; my crafting abilities are lagging behind by miles. my tag is @exparrot2

edit: thanks!

ExParrot fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 16, 2016

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
@dracneir too.

Thanks for the regular goon guild invite!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Right now you get double xp which means I went out questing for a few hours and skipped two crafting tiers and now I'm scrambling to pick up enough sky shards to catch up again. I asked for some help though and was given a few max level items with bonus deconstruction xp and those brought my level up fast even though they didn't give me items which was alright though. You can also buy them at many guild traders for relatively cheap if you just need a boost.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Does the bone cauldron double xp also apply to fighter's guild xp?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Things may have changed since launch, but I just deconstructed everything I found, crafted new gear every new material tier. My craft skills kept up fine. The only one that sucks is enchanting, its basically impossible.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Scoss posted:

End-Game Magicka DK

Hoo-boy you picked a hell of a class to ask for advice on. MagickaDK DPS-ing is probably one of the hardest classes to pull of properly, because their entire rotation is based on keeping up all of their Damage Over Time skills on a target. I haven't brought my MagickaDK out to PvE world in a while so I don't have any updated screenshots to supplement this, so bear with me.

Basics:
  • Race - Always Dunmer. No other class comes close to what a Dunmer Flameknight can pull off
  • Stat Distribution - Magicka
  • Mundus Stone - Thief; Thief & Shadow if you are running Twice-Born Star
  • Armor & Weapon Specialization - Light Armor & Inferno Destruction Staff
  • Armor & Weapon Traits - All Divines on armor pieces, Sharpened on Inferno Staff, Arcane on Jewelry
  • Enchants - Magicka on Armor, Spell/Weapon Damage on Weapon, Spell Damage on Jewelry
  • Potions Used - Spell Power + Spell Critical + Magicka

Armor Setups:
  • Undaunted Monster Helms
    • 2x Valkyn Skoria
    • 2x Grothdarr
  • The "Best In Slot" Powerhouse - This is mostly irrelevant unless you are running Trials with a proper setup
    • 5x Twice Born Star (Crafted)
    • 4x Infallible Aether (Craglorn Trial drop)/Moondancer (Maw of Lorkhaj drop) - Jewelry and Weapon
  • The One Tamriel Setup with Trial Drops - Use this for standard dungeon-running
    • 5x Burning Spellweave - Drops in City of Ash I and II
    • 4x Infallible Aether - Weapons and Jewelry
  • The One Tamriel Setup without Trial Drops - Use this if you don't have trial drops
    • 5x Burning Spellweave
    • 4x Spinner's Garments or Mother's Sorrow - Mother's Sorrow drops in Deshaan region, Spinner's Garments drops in Malabal Tor
  • The "I don't have Trial/Maelstrom/Dungeon Drops" Setup - Use this if you lack any of the end-game stuff above
    • 5x Julianos - 5x Armor
    • 3x Torug's Pact - 2x Armor + Weapons
    • 3x Willpower - 3x Jewelry

Essential Skills
  • Class Skills
    • Lava Whip -> Molten Whip - This is your main spammable skill.
    • Searing Flames -> Burning Embers - DoT #1, also a nice heal.
    • Fiery Breath -> Engulfing Flames - DoT #2, essential to the build, as all targets under its effect receive more damage from flame-based attacks.
    • Ash Cloud -> Eruption - Fantastic class-based AoE attack
    • Inferno -> Flames Of Oblivion
    • Dragonknight Standard -> Standard of Might - Propably the best ultimate in the game DPS-wise. It not only does insane damage, but it also buffs all flame damage. Being our main source of damage, this is too crazy to pass up on. Pop it and watch those numbers rise faster than a fat persons blood-pressure!
  • Other Skills
    • Magelight -> Inner Light – the unbeatable Max Magicka + Spell Crit slot. A must-have for all magicka builds! Our sorce for a constant Major Prophecy aswell as +7% Max Magicka.
    • Trap Beast -> Rearming Trap – Our source of Minor Force. You only need to pop it once every other rotation, but make sure to reapply it once your Minor Force runs out. It adds a crapton of DPS.
    • Meteor -> Shooting Star – This ultimate is more for the passive 2% extra Max Magicka than anything, but it’s a very nice ultimate for trash-packs and such. We rarely use it, but the extra magicka it gives is very nice.
    • Wall of Elements -> Elemental Blockade - This skill is a must-have for anyone using Destro staff. Especially if you have the Maelstrom Destro!
    • Entropy -> Structured Entropy - It grants 2% extra Max Magicka through Mages Guild passives, gives 5% Max Health aswell as gives us an opportunity to get Major Sorcery outside of potions, which is a gold save.
    • Force Shock -> Force Pulse - A good skill to have in dungeons like White-Gold Tower where you need a ranged attack source.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm sure this gets asked constantly, but I'm really only interested in solo content and maybe running each dungeon once for the story. What are some easy builds/classes for me? Please don't just drop a bunch of skill abbreviations and terms only a max level character would know, either, I haven't touched the gamed in years and remember jack poo poo about it. Thanks.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Verranicus posted:

I'm sure this gets asked constantly, but I'm really only interested in solo content and maybe running each dungeon once for the story. What are some easy builds/classes for me? Please don't just drop a bunch of skill abbreviations and terms only a max level character would know, either, I haven't touched the gamed in years and remember jack poo poo about it. Thanks.

Magicka Templar

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Scyantific posted:

Magicka DK

Just curious, why would you use Magelight for Major Prophecy when you could use the DK morph Flames of Oblivion? It provides the same effect, and the actual skill does damage unlike magelight. You're missing out on some max magicka, yeah, but if you're already running Structured Entropy to take advantage of those Mages Guild passives so it doesn't seem like too big a deal.

Plus it looks dope.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

Just curious, why would you use Magelight for Major Prophecy when you could use the DK morph Flames of Oblivion? It provides the same effect, and the actual skill does damage unlike magelight. You're missing out on some max magicka, yeah, but if you're already running Structured Entropy to take advantage of those Mages Guild passives so it doesn't seem like too big a deal.

Plus it looks dope.

More Magicka to increase your Spell Damage

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I'm glad to see that Stamsorc isn't a complete write-off. I was levelling one when they nerfed surge and made the 2H weaving harder to see because of the animation changes and I kind of put it (and the game in general) down for a bit out of frustration. I really like how my dude looked and I'd upgraded the mount a fair bit over the course of several months so if I can just pick him back up again and swap over to Dual Wield I'll be real happy. Thanks for the writeup, Scy :).

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Well, I finally got my Dunmer Magplar fully kitted out with Divines Spell Power Cure and Worm's Raiment. Now I just need to farm me enough alloys to kit myself out with 2 Sharpened Swords.

E: Might kit my Argonian Magplar out in full Impen Lich + Reactive + Malubeth because gently caress you Wrobel and gently caress your Elder Procs Online meta.

E2: I also have a theorycraft going for an Anti-Proctard Build

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 17, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Thanks again for the stamsorc guide.I decided to respec while it's still pretty cheap, and this is the first time in the game I've actually felt powerful. Only level 12 and I'm a goddamn whirlwind of destruction.

SumTingWong
Feb 11, 2015

Scyantific posted:

Ok I held off on this because I couldn't phrase it right.

First off, anything in Battlemaster's Corner is obsolete garbage, ignore it.

Second, and fair trigger warning here, Two-Hander is obsolete when it comes to PvE with Stam Sorc. The main appeal it has is Momentum/Rally and that takes a long time to unlock at rank 42, plus with the changes to Surge, it's less worthwhile now that Wrecking Blow doesn't give gigantic heals.

So what do you run? Dual Wield. Not only does it give more weapon damage, it also opens up an additional item for set building, and now it comes with two heals very early in the tree. And contrary to what people say, you DO NOT need Maelstrom weapons to pull good DPS. I ran Agility stuff for DW and still kept up with the DPS of other people who ran at least one Maelstrom item.

So quick and dirty, here's what you do.

Levels 1-15
-Run dual one-handed weapons, start working on that DW skill line.
-Run all Medium armor
-Get both Twin Slashes and Flurry from the DW tree. Level these up and morph them to Blood Craze and Bloodthirst, respectively. Now you have heals to sustain you until you unlock Surge.
-Speaking of surge, make sure you level up the Storm Calling tree as fast as you can. Get Lightning Form from that tree, and level it up. Morph to Hurricane when it's leveled, probably the most brutal PBAoE in your arsenal, and probably the game.
-Begin leveling up Dark Magic and Daedric Summoning as well, for the passives and the skills Dark Exchange and Bound Armor.
-Start working on leveling Fighter's Guild as well for both Expert Hunter and Trap Beast.

At level 15, get yourself a bow and start working on that too.

Eventually you'll want to have your skills set up like this:
Flurry -> Rapid Strikes
Twin Slashes -> Rending Slashes
Lightning Form -> Hurricane
Poison Arrow -> Poison Injection
Volley -> Endless Hail
Surge -> Critical Surge
Bound Armor -> Bound Armaments
Dark Exchange -> Dark Deal
Trap Beast -> Rearming Trap
Whirlwind -> Steel Tornado
Evasion -> Shuffle
Expert Hunter -> Camouflaged Hunter

Ultimates:
Dawnbreaker -> Flawless Dawnbreaker for PvE, Dawnbreaker of Smiting for PvP
Lacerate -> Rend
Negate Magic -> Absorption Field
Overload -> Energy Overload (PRO-TIP: Activating Overload opens up a third skill bar that you can use, just slot whatever skills you want in that bar when you have Overload active)
Summon Storm Atronach -> Greater Storm Atronach

Your bars should look like this:
Bar 1 (DW): Rapid Strikes, Rending Slashes, Rearming Trap, Camo Hunter, Bound Armaments, U: Rend or Dawnbreaker
Bar 2 (Bow): Poison Injection, Endless Hail, Hurricane, Critical Surge, Bound Armaments, U: Energy Overload

Overload Additional Bar: Dark Deal, Razor Caltrops, Shuffle, Critical Surge, Bound Armaments

Dump all your attribute points into Stamina.

Once you have most of those skills unlocked and Surge unlocked, the constant ticks of damage from Volley, Hurricane, Twin Slashes, and Flurry will be more than enough to keep you alive. If you want to be even nastier, get into PvP and unlock Caltrops and Vigor. Caltrops is another giant AoE DoT that slows enemies down while Vigor is probably the best stam-based heal in the game.

tl;dr 2H bad in PvE, go Dual Wield.

this is great, thank you so much. It's so difficult to find any sort of leveling guides... fuckin' annoying actually...

One question, however: race. What is the preferred race for this build? I just picked this game up on PS4 - I played it on the PC back in the early stages, but never really got anywhere. I have the any race any faction thing, but that's it so far.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Redguard is so far out in front for Stamina builds, pick that. Really any +Stam race, but Redguard is the best because of their racial Regen buff.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

SumTingWong posted:

this is great, thank you so much. It's so difficult to find any sort of leveling guides... fuckin' annoying actually...

One question, however: race. What is the preferred race for this build? I just picked this game up on PS4 - I played it on the PC back in the early stages, but never really got anywhere. I have the any race any faction thing, but that's it so far.

Any race with bonuses to Stamina, really. Redguard is best, obviously, but Wood Elf, Orc, Imperial, Nord, and Khajiit make for good choices.

SumTingWong
Feb 11, 2015
Thanks. Seems to make sense, sorry to ask the obvious there... but then I am making a dual wield/archer out of a sorcerer, so you just never know, and I wanted to be sure.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So how do the various faction zones work with One Tamriel? Before you'd just kinda be led into new zones via questlines and I seem to remember each factions ones being more or less disconnected from those of the other factions. How do you go from one factions to anothers?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Verranicus posted:

So how do the various faction zones work with One Tamriel? Before you'd just kinda be led into new zones via questlines and I seem to remember each factions ones being more or less disconnected from those of the other factions. How do you go from one factions to anothers?

I believe* that you n ow have access to wayshrines you would otherwise not have access to.

What I mean is, I believe you can now access the first wayshrine for each faction (i.e. the starting city) although perhaps you are able to access a wayshrine in each zone.

*I'm not 100% sure on which shrines you have access to as I've not started a new character, but I played a lowbie and iirc he had access to all 3 starting zone wayshrines.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
I'm new. My big redguard tanky dude, should I put every stat pick into Stam, or spread it out?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

100% into stamina. If you're planning on doing real tanking you might respec some points when you hit max level, but all stamina until then.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
You have access to any of the starting way shrines right away. The quest lines still exist and you can follow them or go where the gently caress ever and do what the gently caress ever. Rush one of the guild quest lines? Yeah it's a bit of a trek but go for it. Main Quest? Sure, it's right there. I've been getting surveys and treasure maps for formerly high level enemy zones so clearing those out was super fun since all I had there was the starting zone shrine and I had to ride a lot.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

physeter posted:

I'm new. My big redguard tanky dude, should I put every stat pick into Stam, or spread it out?

All Stam, you can recoup your Health through Armor Passives, Enchants, and Set Bonuses.

More specifically, tell me what class you are and I'll tell you if can actually tank with a Stamina playstyle.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 17, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Scyantific posted:

Magicka Templar

What abilities/weapons should I generally head towards?

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Morglon posted:

You have access to any of the starting way shrines right away. The quest lines still exist and you can follow them or go where the gently caress ever and do what the gently caress ever. Rush one of the guild quest lines? Yeah it's a bit of a trek but go for it. Main Quest? Sure, it's right there. I've been getting surveys and treasure maps for formerly high level enemy zones so clearing those out was super fun since all I had there was the starting zone shrine and I had to ride a lot.
I discovered you also get the shrine at the opposite end of the map. Which really comes in handy for doing mage/fighters guild dailies in zones you've never been to.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Anyone know what time the console patch is going to drop?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

boz posted:

Anyone know what time the console patch is going to drop?

Looking at their forums it seems that the update maintenance is starting at 0600 EST tomorrow.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Scyantific posted:

Looking at their forums it seems that the update maintenance is starting at 0600 EST tomorrow.

Appreciate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Help me with Magicka Templar

Aight so Magicka Templar, like Magicka Nightblade, is one of those classes that can do very well with just its class skills and nothing else. And they can work wonders with them too. Self-Heals, Debuffs, Buffs, Sustain, they have it all (well except for a source of Major Sorcery).

Basics
  • Race Choice: Altmer, Breton, Dunmer, Argonian. In order of effectiveness. Some would rank Breton over Altmer but it's really up to personal choice. I have Dunmer, Breton, and Argonian magplars in my roster.
  • Attribute Dump: Magicka. Everything into Magicka.
  • Armor Specialization: Light Armor. Run two pieces of Heavy Armor if you want more survivability.
  • Mundus Stone: Thief; Thief + Shadow if running TBS (end-game only)

Levels 1-15
  • Grab the first skill in each of the Templar Skill lines, Puncturing Strikes, Rushed Ceremony, and Sun Fire. This will ensure that you level each of the class lines appropriately. Morph Puncturing Strikes into Puncturing Sweep, Rushed Ceremony into Breath of Life, and pick whatever morph of Sun Fire you find more appealing. I personally prefer Vampire's Bane since it means I can keep up that DoT longer and not have to worry about messing up my rotation.
  • Get two Swords and a Destruction Staff. Level the Destruction Staff line enough to get your hands on the Wall of Elements skill. After that, slap it on your skill bar and equip your swords. Leaving the Wall of Elements skill on your bar actively levels your Destruction Staff line while gaining XP. DO NOT purchase any of the active skills or passive skills in the Dual Wield line until it is at Rank 41. You will only need the Twin Blade and Blunt passive from that skill line and nothing more.
  • Level as many skills from all your class lines as possible. With the exception of Healing Ritual, Eclipse, and Sun Shield if you're not going the Blaztank route, they are all good.

At level 15, pick either Resto Staff, Destro Staff, or Sword and Shield to level up.

Eventually you're going to want your skills looking like this:
  • Puncturing Strikes -> Puncturing Sweep
  • Piercing Javelin -> Aurora Javelin
  • Focused Charge -> Explosive Charge
  • Spear Shards -> Blazing Spear
  • Sun Fire -> Reflective Light/Vampire's Bane
  • Solar Flare -> Dark Flare
  • Backlash -> Purifying Light
  • Radiant Destruction -> Radiant Glory
  • Rushed Ceremony -> Breath of Life
  • Restoring Aura -> Repentance
  • Cleansing Ritual -> Ritual of Retribution or Extended Ritual