Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in ESO if you're a lorehound. I really like the books that explain game mechanics like fast travel and why your dude respawns when he dies. Don't discount the game because it's an MMO, a lot of care went into the background detail on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Heh, managed to get into a "baby" Maw run since it won't be a thing anymore with the update. We got inside and the server down in 20 warning appeared.

We managed to finish it and turn the quest in 30 sec before the server went down, it was pretty exciting. I'm assuming I should hold onto that coffer until max lvl?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I've seen people DW sometimes since the passive bonuses like increased damage for using swords (or increased crit from daggers) can apply to all weapon types. However damage scales with max amounts of magicka or stamina. If you're gonna be a full on mage you're gonna have most or all your increases in magicka, meaning the actual DW skills (which are all stam-based and therefore scale with stam) will be really really lovely. On the other side of the coin if you're a stamina based guy, Destro Staff's skills will be garbage.

I'd probably recommend just sticking with Destro staff, maybe have resto for a backup or something.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I've been super impressed with 1T so far. They've really given me a reason to get back into the other 90% of the game. Before it was only dungeons/PVP/trials for my max level characters with not too much in between (only recently picked up the DLC). I only ever bothered with Cadwell's Silver/Gold to get skyshards, and even then I only had the patience to do it once. Now I feel like I can actually enjoy the other game areas, and I'm excited to do so.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Scyantific posted:

RNG has been gracious today, bunch of Impen Lich stuff and SPC jewelry

Oh and that loving Imperium chest piece I've been hunting down forlovingever.

E: So no one gets confused about what chest drops what undaunted shoulder piece:

Maj al-Ragath's Reward Chest:
Banished Cells I & II
Darkshade Caverns I & II
Elden Hollow I & II
Fungal Grotto I & II
Spindleclutch I & II
Wayrest Sewers I & II

Gilirion the Redbeard's Reward Chest:
Arx Corinium
Blackheart Haven
Blessed Crucible
City of Ash I & II
Crypt of Hearts I & II
Direfrost
Selene’s Web
Tempest Island
Vaults of Madness
Volenfell

Urgalarg Chief-Bane's Reward Chest:
Cradle of Shadows
Imperial City Prison
Ruins of Mazzatun
White-Gold Tower

This belongs in a museum! Or the OP.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

bear is driving! posted:

One Tamriel takes the feeling of your character getting stronger and throws it out the window.

That wolf that you fought 3 hours ago? It took just as long to kill that as the giant demon you just fought.

It neuters any feeling of power.

No, that's silly and you're wrong. The combination of better gear, more skills, more passives and champion points means that you can definitely kill poo poo much much faster and more effectively as you level.

Cpl Clegg posted:

My problem with current scaling is that numbers actually go DOWN while I level. Every level you have LESS health, less stamina, less magicka, and it's not really easy to keep your gear up to date all the time. I love 1T but this part of it irks me a bit because it makes gear more important than it should be.
The battle leveling thing is very generous to lower level players, it's meant to help them compete with higher level guys while doing the same content. When you hit max level and it's gone, think of it as a crutch that's been removed--it's up to your build and gear to make your character effective, not a handicap. I think this system works very well.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

MF_James posted:

I don't understand why people are complaining about this. You can now level up from 1-50 however/wherever you want, you can also group with ANYONE (hellllooooo powerleveling, I'm sure scy or someone that's ridiculously powerful could plow dungeons for people to level them up quickly if he wanted...), once you're 50 and hitting CP you can now go to ANY zone and grind to your hearts content, or you can go back and do quests you didn't already do and actually get XP!

I dunno, this seems really good to me, I ran into an issue with my first and second chars where I outleveled my progression and ended up fighting poo poo that was giving little/no exp, now that never happens!

Exactly, the game is better than it's ever been. It's more rewarding now for things you want to do in an ES game anyway like exploring and questing.

Turtlicious posted:

Is a Full Heal Templar really useful, IE: Will it get me groups faster then anything else? Can they still solo thing? Can Full Heal dudes learn daedric summoning?

Templar healers are the most sought after (and common) healers. Overall as a healer you'll find no trouble getting a group. Healers are almost required for every dungeon with rare exception (hello desperate 4 DPS goon runs!). Tanks are next in line but there's plenty of dungeons where tanks aren't required.

Anyway, a healer wants the same stats that a magicka DPS wants anyway (Spell power, crit, max magicka) so it's easy to level up some damage abilities too so you're never locked in to ONLY healing.

A big no to the daedric summoning, though. That's more of the Sorcerer purview. Do yourself a favor and check out each classes ability trees. Certain armor sets and the like can have summoning effects and the like, so keep that in mind.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I somehow have an account for this game which is weird because I only played the closed beta for like an hour. Anyway I decided to try it out and it seems surprisingly good so far. I subbed for a month since I like crafting and the bottomless bag seems almost mandatory for that. I have a bunch of crowns now. Is there anything in the crown store that I should buy? I looked through it and didn't really see anything aside from cosmetic items and super overpriced looking consumables. I kind of want a camel, but as far as I can tell all mounts are functionally identical and if there's anything in there that would actually substantially improve my gameplay experience I'd rather buy that.

Unrelated question: I'm assuming this big level scaling update turned all soul gems into grand soul gems. I've found something like 50 grands, 1 petty (which I think was hand placed in the world by a level designer) and zero others. So are all souls now grand too?

Mounts all play the same. I've been cruising on my 10k gold cheapo poo poo-horse this whole time and it doesn't matter since he's galloping at top speed. Also mounts get cosmetic upgrades the more you train them so he's got a sweet battle helmet on. drat wouldn't it be funny if they released horse armor DLC for the first time since Oblivion?

All soul gems are large now so you might as well sell anything not Grand.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Hey Goons,

I live in a god-forsaken desert which means that I am running EU hours. I'm also planning on playing a Stamina character and want to grind out Vigor on reaching level 10. Will faction play a big role in terms of how easy / hard it is to grind out AP until I get that skill, or does the fact that I'm running at 4 A.M. server time mean that every faction will be dead anyways? Anything I should know re: faction choice and PVP besides the helpful "Ebonheart Pact to PVP with goons" in the OP, which I totally read?

I'm in Korea for a few more months so there's usually me and a smattering of other goons holding down the "night shift".

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Magicka DK

Just curious, why would you use Magelight for Major Prophecy when you could use the DK morph Flames of Oblivion? It provides the same effect, and the actual skill does damage unlike magelight. You're missing out on some max magicka, yeah, but if you're already running Structured Entropy to take advantage of those Mages Guild passives so it doesn't seem like too big a deal.

Plus it looks dope.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I spend most of my gold on rare motifs for crafting because I just loving need to be able to craft Minotaur gloves for some reason, OK?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

It's really hard to say if one is better than the other.

There's dozens of builds and I've played NB stamina tank, NB stamina DPS, NB magicka DPS, NB magicka tank, and NB magicka healer. If you're looking for self heals, stamina NB is a little lacking. Most of the healing type skills scale with magicka, making them very weak on a stamina build. There is a stamina morph of the NB execute skill which restores a nice chuck of HP upon killing a foe, and there's a skill that marks enemies and killing a marked enemy restores a large amount of HP. You can easily go from the brink of death to full health with those two skills. It can really help you power through a large group of mobs, but obviously those two won't help during a boss fight.

Magicka NB's just have stronger heals that don't rely on killing dudes. However, if you do decide to go stamina you can use those skills and go into DW, which has three skills that can be morphed into HOTs (Blood Craze, Blood Thirst, both ult morphs). Personally I'd choose the other morphs every times since they do more damage, but if you want to make a powerhouse stam NB solo'er it's entirely possible.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

CuddlyZombie posted:

Is there a way to either remove other faction's Harborage instances' map markers from the map, or to have them marked as explored?

This is the most trivial, dumb poo poo, and yet it is driving me bonkers.

Going inside them 'discovers' them.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

The cool thing about world set drops is that we can get jewelry. Can't do that with crafted sets.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

How newbie-friendly/active is the goon guild for this game? A couple of real-life friends are badgering me to give ESO a try, and I've always gravitated towards healers in MMOs.

Pc goon guild is a lot of run, and if you're a healer you'll be a popular guy. Fortunately healing in this game is very fun and dynamic.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Virigoth posted:

Makes sense I guess. I still haven't really looked at crafting much. How do we usually do orders / payment? I doubt I have much any high level goons need but I could trade do scrolls or something.

If you're on PC we'll make it free. Helps to have some of the mats though since not everyone has a supply of the lower level stuff. Hit up @Overchromed if you see me on.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I'd recommend going two heavy 5 medium if you're having trouble staying alive. You really need that medium 5 piece bonus as a stam DPS. More important is to get some HP enchants and slot one or two self heal type skills.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

sluggo is mad posted:

Quick derail to let you guys know my dog was found today and he's back home. Have a dog pic:

Now run pledges with me, need to try out a new gear setup on my lizplar tank.

SOMEONE GET THIS DOG A CHEESEBURGER, STAT!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Kiting him and whittling him down with spells or poison arrows works also.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Hey gang, haven't played this in probably six months. Can anyone tell me the state of stamblades in PVE (vet group and solo)? Keep in mind I'm used to the answer being "terrible" but no other class archetype really resonates with me that much. I typically roll DW/Bow. I'm assuming stamblades are still good in PVP but I'm pretty bad so it doesn't really matter.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

azura is pretty awful. i can't think of a single divinity in the series that is unanimously good.

There's a daedric prince of partying.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

You can totally craft without subbing. You just need to be very smart with your bank and bag space and be prepared to put a lot of gold into those. Also you might have to put off professions with tons of mats like Provisioning until later. Even then, we have a huge goon bank and you can add and take stuff from it as you like.

I've never had a membership and have had great fun with the game. I do recommend the 3 for 1 dlc pack, if it's still offered.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm coming from playing before this game became "unlimited".

Alright, so let me get this straight. Everything is pretty much level 50, the quality of items plus enchantments are what define your weapons/armor, not to mention set pieces.

Your character progresses through having lots of skillpoints (which obviously come at highers levels), having skill lines maxed (granting you access to their most powerful passives), having good gear/enchants, and through things called champion points which you slowly begin to accumulate after you hit 50. There's over 500 champion points so there's a lot of room for progression.

Also new goons:

Roll EP. Roll EP. ROLL EP. If you want to play as another alliances races just pick up the DLC for that, it's cheap and totally worth it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Yeah, no question is too dumb for guild chat. Mostly because guild chat is already really really dumb!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

If you want to make a character who looks like you and aren't super white, it gives you another option besides Redguard.

You can make a pretty bronzy nord or breton

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

It's all about third person. I only find myself going first when I want to get a good look at something. There's all kinds of annoying visual effects in first person and you'll often wonder why your character stopped moving (you got rooted by an enemy). It's especially useful in dungeons and PVP when you need to keep your head on a swivel. Also third person will let you rotate the camera to look around/behind you when you're harvesting materials or activating objects.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

The Locator posted:

This is me. I die more than I should and take twice as long to kill things as everyone else around me in delves. It's taken me 20 hours of play to hit level 17.
Still having fun.

Make a tank. We could always use more tanks. It's the same as what you're already doing except you die less. Also if you fail to dodge roll out of or block a boss's Destructo Disk or Spirit Bomb or whatever it's not the end of the world.

You can probably get away with 5 pieces of heavy armor in a damage bonus set (NMG would be nice in groups)while leveling. Go half stamina and half hp for points and enchants. Either way make sure you're leveling heavy armor.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

I'd noticed that part 2 dungeons were generally an order of magnitude harder than 1's.

That's because they were originally the only Veteran Dungeons. There were no normal or vet BCII, just normal (now BCI) and vet (now BCII). This is also why their hard modes on veteran don't have scrolls; by staying within certain mechanics (not using levers in DCII etc) the fights are already tough. I think the only boss that had a hard mode book before the big change was Valkyn Skoria.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

RobotDogPolice posted:

I have a few of questions. Can I level as a somewhat tanky type? I'm assuming it would be Templar or Dragon knight. I'm leaning toward Templar, because I also like healing. Also, are guild invites tied to characters or accounts? Lastly, is it okay to get in invite for my boyfriend, even though he isn't a forum member?

The default answer you'll hear around these parts is "never level as a tank". It's often recommended to level as a DPS and respec when you hit 50. I think the never ever do it!!!! thing is frankly a silly blanket statement. Here's my take.

My second character was a tank and I had good fun leveling it, and I just recently leveled another (albeit with max cp and a much greater understanding that of the game) and had a great time. I think where people go wrong is they get folks to make them crafted tank sets and level in those, and frankly the defensive benefits are massive overkill for the most part on non veteran content. This time around I used crafted sets typically reserved for DPS (being a stamina tank I used Hundings and Night Mother's but if you decide to go Magicka tank there are similar sets). I just made sure to craft them in heavy as opposed to the usual medium. I also split my stats an even 50/50 between HP and Stam.

The benefits? With a good set or two of goon crafted DPS/tank armor you'll be doing pretty decent damage for your role (and while solo) while actually getting the survivability of 5 pieces of heavy armor. You can also level all the tank skills you'll need instead of hitting 50 and starting from scratch. You'll also have the tanking perspective for dungeons and stuff. Not that tanking is hard but you'd be surprised how many people gently caress it up even at higher levels.

Also you're probably not going to be starved for exp and skill points while leveling. Tanks have near instant queues for dungeons whether random or targeted. And they're in high demand. The tank I leveled had cleared every group dungeon by the time he hit 45. I'm leveling another DPS and she's maybe cleared half of that (because DPS queues for specific dungeons are nuts).

Anyway there's something undeniably fun about running around and smashing bad guys in the face with your shield before clubbing them over the head with your weapon of choice. Or seeing some hapless noob being clowned on by a big mob and zooming in like a cannonball to rescue them. If the tank play style appeals to you I say go for it. Just ask in guild chat or @Overchromed for the gear hook up.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Sixto Lezcano posted:

The main quest gives you skill points fairly regularly and I found it pretty enjoyable. It's definitely not a waste of time, though I've heard that in true TES fashion the end is a bit of a wet fart.

The storyline quests themselves are pretty meh but the actual background stuff (that you need to actually listen to and read and stuff) is actually pretty neat. There's a lot of cool questions that get brought up and interesting tidbits. And I thought the ending was actually pretty good, especially if you remember Oblivion's ending. It's really satisfying to actually get to go toe to toe with a Daedric prince and whip the poo poo out of him and send his armless rear end packing. I remember finally coming across Mehrunes Dagon in Oblivion and being disappointed that he was invincible

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I think people don't like elf eyes because there's less white in their eyes, giving them a glassy animal like gaze. It's clear proof that they're less than human.

Now let me tell you about the skull measurements I've been making...

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

If something's to good to be true, it probably is. I know someone who got banned for buying poo poo on a similar site. Max level crafter with all kinds of goodies. Doesn't seem worth it to risk it to me, IMO.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

boho posted:

lol, if you get past that (I used someone else's phone number) you get to a part where they want you to send a picture of your ID

Why would you do this to a random person/close personal friend

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

You can one shot most trash mobs with sneak attacks which is really satisfying (even if you could two or three shot them otherwise anyway). I don't like using the DB knife since they're an EXP penalty. A properly built NB can really gently caress someone up with a good sneak attack.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

If you want to die in ESO go to Deshaan and check out the skull emblems on the map. Find a guar named Bittergreen and attack him.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Digital Osmosis posted:

I looked at Alcast's stam bow/bow build and compared it to where I was. First off - how usual is it to have a couple of magicka skills slotted in a stamina build? I use soul trap every now and then, and threw a point into magicka on my first level before I got any stamina morphs, but Alcast has two magicka skills: Shimmering Sheild and Green Lotus. He mentions the nature's gift passive returns magicka, but that seems to only cover a tenth of the cost. Or wait, does it proc every time green lotus does? On any light or heavy attack? Because... because actually that's pretty loving nasty then. Anyway, is throwing a couple of magicka skills on a stam build a normal thing? Or the other way around, I guess?

Secondly, there are two skills I'm curious about : Caltrops and Trap Beast. Trap Beast I see the obvious advantage of, but I guess I was wondering how easy it is to use? I find delayed skills tough to gauge at times, I miss with subterranean assault all too often, or hit only one target when I was aiming for three. He's using the ranged morph, btw, Light Beast Trap. For Caltrops, I've seen it in a lot of bow builds. I guess it's a good escape button? My other questions here are: what's a good way to grind up those skill trees (Fighter's Guild and Assault, respectively)? I've literally never PVPed in this game and don't have the slightest idea how long it would take to get to rank 6. Any good tips for quickly advancing either of those trees? I've done the initial fighter's guild quest but got butthurt when it didn't give me a skill point (my first guilds were Thieves and Dark Brotherhood, so I got used to most missions handing me a SP afterwards.)

I'd appreciate any insight into these questions. The idea that Dive would proc Bond With Nature was something I never considered and when I was set straight in this thread it totally changed how I played.

It's generally useful to have a use for your magicka as a stamina guy, otherwise it's going to waste. It's typically used for buffs. I don't have Warden so I can't comment on that.

If you want Caltrops get in PVP now as there's a 2x AP event happening. It's useful in PVP as an area denial tool and to slow people up, but people use it a lot in PVE due to its relatively long duration and wide area of effect.

Most people use the trap beast not for the actual trapping effect but for the critical damage buff it grants. I personally don't like it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I was in your group and I crashed right during the final boss. Hopefully you guys cleared it but I'm mad I didn't have two more minutes to get that bonus.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Coldforge posted:

That's a great resource, thanks for the link. I might actually start doing more dungeons now.

Hit me up @Overchromed if you see me on. I'm always down to run dungeons and love to show others the ropes. Most of them can be brute forced but some can be a pain even with high level characters if people don't listen.

I've gotten a group of three new player level 12's (including the famous "only bow light attack" breed of pub) through WGT before

e: because they actually listened and I bothered to explain. Things are so much harder if one or both of those aren't done. hit me up!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Owlkill posted:

Could I get an invite to the NA Chill Bros guild please? @Jutvar

Just to be sure, you're on the PC right? Also, this is your account name not a character name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I shot you an invite.