Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

bear is driving! posted:

One Tamriel takes the feeling of your character getting stronger and throws it out the window.

That wolf that you fought 3 hours ago? It took just as long to kill that as the giant demon you just fought.

It neuters any feeling of power.
Ok sure, but, the game had wolves and giant demons at every power level before. So that is nothing new. Progression should always be about options, and not watching stupid numbers get bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I really can't comprehend this logic. If you went through the game at a reasonable pace before OT you wouldn't have noticed much difficulty curve either. Why do you want to run around 1 shotting everything and not getting exp anyways? I will never understand the draw behind watching numbers go up.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I can see the argument for levels being kind of pointless now. They really should just get rid of them. Tie all progression into the champion system and skill gain.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Fighters guild rank ONLY increases by killing undead and daedra. 1exp per kill. Doing FG quests will not raise FG rank, except for the daedra and undead you kill while doing them.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Actually the dailies were designed to do that.
Weird. I trust you, but I don't think they updated the tooltip then.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CaptainCaveman posted:

I don't know if you should buy it, but I can tell you about how my day today went playing it (I only bought it 2 or 3 days ago and haven't played much yet).

I get a quest to talk to somebody to get certified in some of the crafting skills. After talking to her, I apparently wasn't paying enough attention to the dialogue choices because then I ended up having to go talk to some guy for getting certified on different crafting skills, and the lady wouldn't let me get certified on her set of crafting skills anymore.

So I went to talk to the guy and he told me if I could cook some pork for him, he'd certify me in Cooking and I could then pick up daily Writ of Crafting cooking quests. OK, sounds good. I happen to have some white meat in my inventory (not sure if I already had it or he gave me it as part of the quest). I go cook it, hand it in to him, he's amazed at what a good cook I am and now I'm certified.

I go get the daily quest, I need to brew some beer and cook some chicken. I go back to the cooking station, talk to the merchant, he sells me the beer recipe. I already have the ingredients for it and I already have the cooked chicken recipe. I make the beer. I try to make the chicken. Making it requires poultry, which I don't have.

I talk to the merchant. He sells cooked chicken but not poultry. I buy some cooked chicken hoping maybe the quest just checks for that in your inventory, but no. I go check with all the merchants I can find. Nobody sells poultry. I haven't seen any chickens on my questing in this area. Finally in town I see a thing called a "Bantam Guar" which doesn't look like a chicken, but sort of looks to me like a lizard that looks like a chicken, if that makes sense. I figure this probably follows fantasy logic and will drop poultry.

But it's green, so non-hostile, and I'm in a peaceful town. So I crouch down to hide and kill it. And then when I search it, I find poultry! Score! And as soon as I take it I get a wanted level and a guard starts chasing me. I guess either I was spotted killing it, or maybe spotted looting it? Either way, I don't want to get caught by the guard because if you pay off your bounty, they take all your stolen items and I don't want him to take my hard won poultry.

I run to the cooking station. Along the way a guard stops me. I get an option to pay my fine and hand over all stolen goods, or to flee. I choose to flee, and now I get a message showing me that my wanted level has gone up and the guards will now kill me on sight. Because I killed a not-chicken. Much like in Skyrim, the people of Elder Scrolls Online take these crimes seriously.

I get to the cooking station, cook the chicken, run out of town. I'm now being pursued by 4 or 5 guards but I manage to outrun them and get to the Outlaw Base where I find a fence who will let me pay off my bounty. Now I'm a fine upstanding citizen again AND I have the quest items!

I go turn them in, which involves putting the cooked items in a box at the docks. There's a note in the box which tells me "All across Skyrim and the Ashlands, our trade partners will sing the praises of your skilled hand at the cookpot." So now I guess I'm the best chef in all the land.
This post is awesome. I love that it highlights many of the problems with the game, and many of the reasons why its so great.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Things may have changed since launch, but I just deconstructed everything I found, crafted new gear every new material tier. My craft skills kept up fine. The only one that sucks is enchanting, its basically impossible.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Ok so being as honest as possible, you'll find none of this in ESO. The way Firor and Lambert have worded it, they want people to just be able to pick up the game and perform reasonably well without having to learn complex stuff like mechanics and metas.
but then they go ahead and have complex stuff like animation canceling, metas, and ridiculously low TTK's that require you to distinguish 1/1000 obnoxiously busy particle effects. Alongside that, they have 3 different ways to break CC depending on the type of CC, but good luck guessing the right one with your 10fps and poo poo flying all over the screen, and there is some sort of input buffer for getting it wrong.
Sorry for going off there, but that is asinine and one of the most incorrect things I have heard about this game.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Don't pick a race planning to race change unless you have a large bank account.
1-50 is easy as anything, and your racial passives won't even kick in til higher level.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scyantific posted:

WHERE THE gently caress ARE MY MAGICKA DK BUFFS WROBEL

I WAS PROMISED MAGICKA DK BUFFS. COAGULATING BLOOD IS NOT A BUFF IT'S A NERF
No, this is a nerf. EDIT, wait I read this wrong, its a buff.

quote:

Adjusted the Area of Effect damage thresholds for all abilities. The new thresholds are as follows:
Targets 1 – 6: 100% damage taken with all secondary effects applied.
Targets 7 – 24: 75% damage taken with no secondary effects applied (formerly 50% damage taken).
Targets 25 – 60: 50% damage taken with no secondary effects applied (formerly 25% damage taken).
ha, why nerf standards?

The new coagulating blood seems interesting, but now mag DK doesn't have a self heal that isn't an attack.
The frost staff for tanking is kinda cool, curious to see how that plays out. Lighting front bar, frost back bar DK? Still need stam for CC break I guess.
Clouding swarm seems super sweet.

So glad I can quickslot shipments of refined materials now. How did I ever do without that?
Also that crown experience scrolls can be used while moving. It was really slowing down my EPM to have to stop and refresh my scroll.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scyantific posted:

I haven't gone into PTS yet. Most of my impression is from watching guildmates run it on private streams today. I do like the Clouding Swarm change tho, it definitely opens up a Chaos Nightblade playstyle synergizing Shadow Image, Cloak, and the 5 seconds of gap closing.
Is this anything like chaos pyro?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Rally is the best stam skill in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

insideoutside posted:

Why can they not just raise the low end of the dps and leave the high end where it is?
Power creep.