Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Alexander DeLarge posted:

You can also get ESO Gold for $32-$35

drat it. Oh well, I'm sure running around aimlessly with my wife and a couple of friends pretending to be animal people is easily worth double that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Probably a silly question, but if I'm playing a sorcerer focusing on storm calling, are there any other viable weapon options besides the elemental staves?

I haven't invested any skill points in a weapon yet, and I'm tempted to switch to dual-wielding and attempt some sort of mage/thief hybrid—but I'm guessing that would be a bad idea in the long term, or even the short.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 5, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Ah, man, I hadn't even considered the damage scaling from different stats. I might restart as a different class as I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying the hand-to-hand combat above all else, but I might end up being content just as a pure mage dabbling in legerdemain.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I looked around on some other forums a bit, and I guess some people have had success with a sword & shield sorcerer with a very specific build that I'm still on track for, so I think I'm going to give that a shot.

The combat in this is so satisfyingly actiony that no matter what I don't want to spend the game plinking away from mid-range.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I decided to do the consumable crafting writs instead of the equipment crafting writs, and it doesn't seem like I can undo that choice. Did I just screw myself over in the long term if I want to craft equipment for myself, or does it not matter that much?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Oh, does the option just open up later then?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
This is the only Elder Scrolls game I've ever been able to get into for some reason, and holy poo poo! Being a thief is really fun, you guys!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Scyantific posted:

Ok I held off on this because I couldn't phrase it right.

First off, anything in Battlemaster's Corner is obsolete garbage, ignore it.

Second, and fair trigger warning here, Two-Hander is obsolete when it comes to PvE with Stam Sorc. The main appeal it has is Momentum/Rally and that takes a long time to unlock at rank 42, plus with the changes to Surge, it's less worthwhile now that Wrecking Blow doesn't give gigantic heals.

So what do you run? Dual Wield. Not only does it give more weapon damage, it also opens up an additional item for set building, and now it comes with two heals very early in the tree. And contrary to what people say, you DO NOT need Maelstrom weapons to pull good DPS. I ran Agility stuff for DW and still kept up with the DPS of other people who ran at least one Maelstrom item.

So quick and dirty, here's what you do.

Levels 1-15
-Run dual one-handed weapons, start working on that DW skill line.
-Run all Medium armor
-Get both Twin Slashes and Flurry from the DW tree. Level these up and morph them to Blood Craze and Bloodthirst, respectively. Now you have heals to sustain you until you unlock Surge.
-Speaking of surge, make sure you level up the Storm Calling tree as fast as you can. Get Lightning Form from that tree, and level it up. Morph to Hurricane when it's leveled, probably the most brutal PBAoE in your arsenal, and probably the game.
-Begin leveling up Dark Magic and Daedric Summoning as well, for the passives and the skills Dark Exchange and Bound Armor.
-Start working on leveling Fighter's Guild as well for both Expert Hunter and Trap Beast.

At level 15, get yourself a bow and start working on that too.

Eventually you'll want to have your skills set up like this:
Flurry -> Rapid Strikes
Twin Slashes -> Rending Slashes
Lightning Form -> Hurricane
Poison Arrow -> Poison Injection
Volley -> Endless Hail
Surge -> Critical Surge
Bound Armor -> Bound Armaments
Dark Exchange -> Dark Deal
Trap Beast -> Rearming Trap
Whirlwind -> Steel Tornado
Evasion -> Shuffle
Expert Hunter -> Camouflaged Hunter

Ultimates:
Dawnbreaker -> Flawless Dawnbreaker for PvE, Dawnbreaker of Smiting for PvP
Lacerate -> Rend
Negate Magic -> Absorption Field
Overload -> Energy Overload (PRO-TIP: Activating Overload opens up a third skill bar that you can use, just slot whatever skills you want in that bar when you have Overload active)
Summon Storm Atronach -> Greater Storm Atronach

Your bars should look like this:
Bar 1 (DW): Rapid Strikes, Rending Slashes, Rearming Trap, Camo Hunter, Bound Armaments, U: Rend or Dawnbreaker
Bar 2 (Bow): Poison Injection, Endless Hail, Hurricane, Critical Surge, Bound Armaments, U: Energy Overload

Overload Additional Bar: Dark Deal, Razor Caltrops, Shuffle, Critical Surge, Bound Armaments

Dump all your attribute points into Stamina.

Once you have most of those skills unlocked and Surge unlocked, the constant ticks of damage from Volley, Hurricane, Twin Slashes, and Flurry will be more than enough to keep you alive. If you want to be even nastier, get into PvP and unlock Caltrops and Vigor. Caltrops is another giant AoE DoT that slows enemies down while Vigor is probably the best stam-based heal in the game.

tl;dr 2H bad in PvE, go Dual Wield.

Thanks for posting something I might want to respec into. Had I known Hurricane was even a thing (it replaced a different morph that featured heavily in the outdated builds I was looking at before), I'd have planned for something resembling this to begin with. As much fun as I'm having, the sheer lack of synergy in my current build has been gnawing at me.

Is it worth considering another weapon option for Bar 2 instead of Bow (I am really attached to sword & shield for some reason), or is it the best choice by far?

Edit: Also, now that I have some idea of what I'm doing, I wouldn't mind an invite to the goon crafting guilds. Not interested in PvP, and I'm not Ebonheart Pact anyway. @Rollersnake

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 15, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Thanks again for the stamsorc guide.I decided to respec while it's still pretty cheap, and this is the first time in the game I've actually felt powerful. Only level 12 and I'm a goddamn whirlwind of destruction.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
So my inventory is gradually getting cluttered up with (Level 1) treasure maps, for areas I haven't been to yet. With the way scaling works in this game, will I get better treasure if I hold onto those until I'm higher level, should I just go running around on a big treasure hunt right now, or what?

Also yesterday some dude yelled at me for "resetting the spawn timer" on a delve boss. Is there some sort of weird etiquette for fighting those that I don't know about, or was he just being a baby?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

MF_James posted:

gently caress him. I haven't had anyone yell at me when I roll in and kill poo poo, but since halloween and the item drop changes people have literally been camping EVERY boss in every zone, so I'm not surprised you ran into some sperg.

I do know there's some internal timer for the plunder skulls, something like 3-5 minutes, but I'm pretty sure you won't hit that timer if you sit and camp one boss.

I figured. I'm not going to go out of my way to piss people off, but for gently caress's sake—I get to the end of a dungeon, I fight the boss, I leave. I am not playing the same game.

Also, I just found a Whirring Dynamo! It doesn't do anything except take up space in my inventory being rare. Do I need to have both these items simultaneously to get this achievement, and furthermore, do achievements serve any purpose except for some of them unlocking dye colors?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Stealing and questing (mostly stealing), and the only thing I've been spending significant amounts of gold on is bag/bank upgrades. There's also training your mount, but I haven't gotten around to that yet as inventory space is priority #1 for non-subscribers.

Also this is somehow the most fun I've ever had in a MMORPG aside from putting on concerts in LotRO.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Is... is that skooma? Does skooma do that?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Vulkhel Guard is my #1 stealing spot just because it's so convenient to an Outlaw's Refuge. At the manor, you have the room across from the bank which has no guards, and even the bank itself is relatively easy to loot except for the crowd of players making it hard to see NPCs. The Fighter's Guild has a lockbox that's left unattended for a generous amount of time.

Also very good is the ship in Betnikh (the one you arrive on from Stros M'Kai). I think there's only one room where you can potentially be spotted, and the NPCs there don't move!

Koeglin Village in Stormhaven has an enormous inn with just a few easily-spotted guards roaming around.

Also you frequently find valuable items in barrels and sacks—don't assume it's just going to be provisions.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 28, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Do the crafting writs ever start asking you to make anything beyond the most basic stuff? I'm falling behind on tailor writs because I haven't been finding any jute since I hit level 15, and it's especially annoying as that's the craft I was most wanting to specialize in.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

atomicgeek posted:

I hate to bug y'all again, but any advice on building and leveling a stam DK? Is that even possible since so much of the class is based around mag?

Scy posted this a few pages ago:

Scyantific posted:

Look at Stam Sorc guide, replace Surge with Vigor, Blood Craze, and Bloodthirst. Add in Venomous Claw, Noxious Breath, Volatile Armor, and Standard of Might where appropriate. Roll 2-Handed and Sword and Shield if you want to PvP.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Are you able to rename those summonable merchant and banker NPCs like you can with pets, or are they stuck with the defaults? I'm actually tempted to buy the banker, and I probably will if they can be Escargot Express.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 30, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
What do we know about player housing, aside from that we're getting it?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I wish I had known a little bit more Elder Scrolls lore before I started playing. I'm still pleased with myself for coming up with "Anoline Sane" for my glamsorc, but it doesn't follow Argonian naming conventions and it's ruining my immersion. :saddowns:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

CaptainCaveman posted:

Yeah, "raised by another group" can be used to explain away much. When I get around to making a second character, I think it will be an Imperial who was raised by Argonians, and so named "Breathes-Water-Poorly."

Haha. If I make a second character, I'll probably go with the most twisted, misshapen Altmer or the fattest, dopiest Khajit.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
That is weird. Does ESO natively support any gamepads without analog triggers?

This game really is so, so much better with a gamepad aside from a few instances where the gamepad interface is inferior. Also I'd much rather have block on LB and attack on RB, but one of your skills HAS to be bound to LB + RB, and I accidentally trigger it all the time if I try to use those bindings.

I certainly don't need to be circling and dodging like I'm playing Dark Souls, and I don't even know that it's much more effective to do so, but I like that I can since it just feels right.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Aramek posted:

Currently rocking the Werewolf Lord poly. Can't dye it, but it looks so awesome on Argonian characters. I'm like King Bowser!

Mind posting a screenshot? I was kinda curious about this.

Not the polymorph, but if you actually become a werewolf, does your appearance change based on your race, or are you just a generic werewolf?

I'm toying with the idea of turning my stamsorc into a werewolf, with werewolf transformation replacing overload, but I don't know how worthwhile that would be.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 14, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
So, by endgame, how many trades can you fully upgrade (not including nonessential stuff like the deconstruction bonuses or hirelings) and still have enough skill points to put into all the non-crafting stuff you're likely to use? I know this will vary from character to character, but I just want to have an idea of how much I can realistically expect to do without making an alt.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Honestly, as much as I truly enjoy this game, I don't see myself ever subscribing. Fast travel via the wayshrines is so convenient that I don't feel like I need a mount for anything other than expanding my inventory, and deciding that I'm no longer going to bother with one craft (alchemy) has freed up so much space that I haven't maxed out my inventory since. Obviously that will present more of a challenge as I require higher level materials, but having to deal with a bit more inventory management is worth it to me if it means not having to pay a monthly fee.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Bruteman posted:

Got the gold edition.

Should I save my 500 free funbucks or get something like the starter pack?

How crucial is leveling crafting skills? Never been a huge fan of that in MMOs.

The bonuses from sets mean found weapons and armor are always better than crafted, until whatever point that's no longer the case (I'm certainly not there yet). Enchanting (and maybe provisioning) is the only craft that is honestly useful early on, and I recommend working on at least that.

I put my 500 funbucks toward the adventurer pack, but since One Tamriel hit I don't know that being able to choose any race with any faction matters at all outside of PVP. Having a mount gives you another means of expanding your inventory space, and the guar pet you get from it makes less obnoxious sounds than the Thieves' Guild jackal or the horrid thing you get from Orsinium.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 20, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

dromal phrenia posted:

I just got this game on steam so I'll probably be playing this weekend. I like the non-linear nature of things, and I always loved TES (More so Morrowind than Skyrim but they're all fun).

I'm probably going to waste all my time stealing and murdering, but as far as group content goes: is it hard to find groups if you're not a healer? With some MMOs you'll spend an hour waiting for a group as a DPS and I ain't got time for that poo poo.

Also is there a specific resource that helps understand the basics better? I read the OP but I don't understand a few things, racial bonuses being one of them. In single player TES I usually picked an ugly Breton for my first character because magic resist is my poo poo, but I don't know what matters and what doesn't in TESO. I want to be an Argonian though (like apparently everyone else). It seems like race is the only thing I can't "fix" and its the first decision I'll have to make :ohdear:

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Racial+Skills

I'm running a stamsorc despite Argonian being one of the worst races for it. If it bothers me enough when I get closer to the end, I might respec into a sorcerer build that better suits my racial skills.

When you break down all builds into either magicka or stamina focused, it seems pretty self-explanatory which races would be good for any given build.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
In terms of usefulness before the late game, I'd say enchanting is the only skill that is absolutely worthwhile for everyone. Blacksmithing and/or woodworking are secondary, depending upon your choice of weapons. You're not likely to get any use out of tailoring or the armor crafting half of blacksmithing until you can make stuff that can compete with the bonuses from equipment sets you find. I find enough cooked food lying around that I'm not really concerned with provisioning yet.

There are like two things you can make with alchemy that I would actually want to make, so I dropped that really fast.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
How good is blood altar and its morphs? How effective would you be as a healer with that as your only healing skill?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Scyantific posted:

Inner Fire is good for ranged taunting, and Necrotic Orb's synergy is incredibly useful for magicka classes for sustain.

The Inner Rage and Mystic Orb morphs have me brainstorming some sort of weird magicka sorcerer tank build. I might actually try that when I feel like respecing again.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Can anyone weigh in on the usefulness of Daedric Mines and its morphs, particularly in tanking strategies? I'm not even to the point where I've unlocked it, but it seems like there's a lot of potential there—assuming, y'know, enemies actually fall for it. And while at a glance it seems that Daedric Minefield would be the more useful of the morphs, I wonder about the instant-arming aspect of Daedric Tomb.

Also on the wikis when they give a variable for the amount of damage a skill does, does that mean it scales with your maximum magicka/stamina?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
So, ultimately, a magicka-focused sorcerer tank build isn't worth exploring because the very basics of it (like, blocking) are dependant upon stamina then? Dammit, I thought I was maybe onto something there.

I guess I'm limited to "healer" if I ever want to respec my Argonian sorcerer into anything where my race choice would actually be a boon. I'm too far along to want to restart with a new class, so I'll just live with it I guess.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

MF_James posted:

There are magicka based tank builds that perform well, but I don't think you pump magicka enough to actually do a ton of damage with it, since you still need stamina for blocking and taunt skills etc.

I could be wrong though, I've yet to do the tank thing in this game, but I do know DK magicka tank are a thing.

Also, it's fairly painless to level up another character, your CP points are accessible across all characters (so if you have 250 CP, you can allocate them for each character starting from level 1), all you have to do is the 1->50 thing again, which isn't too bad especially if you have xp scrolls, then you just run around, grab skyshards and maybe do some mage guild/fighters guild dailies to level those up.

Just get to like.. level 15-20ish, gather some skyshards, then run dungeons non-stop with xp scrolls running, if you have them.

My thought process was use the Undaunted skill Inner Rage as a Magicka-based taunt, some combination of Sorcerer skills for immobilization and damage, Bound Armaments to boost defensive capabilities and stamina, Sword & Shield as primary weapon (not actually using any of the active skills from that tree), Energy Overload with Dark Conversion on the Overload bar for restoring Magicka, and my backup bar would be restoration staff/summons. But it kind of hinges on something like Daedric Minefield actually not sucking.

It's good to know Champion Points carry over. So in a sense, the farther I get, the less of a pain starting over will be.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Thanks, I could really use a sorc tank guide. I've looked around at other sites for ideas, but of course everyone thinks their build is the best ever, and a lot of them advise putting a bunch of stat points into health—and if there's a red flag that big, I'm sure there are plenty of others I don't have the experience to see.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I know the crown crates are a money pit, and I'm not intending to buy any, but could someone tell me how much stuff you get in one, or what the rarity distribution is like? Is it true that the only way to get crown gems is by trading in duplicates of items you've already found in crown crates?

There's, like, exactly one thing I'd want, and it's the Argonian feather headdress. I'd buy it if it were an item in the crown store, but gently caress gambling for any kind of reward.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 6, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

You know, I don't think they designed this helmet with Argonians in mind.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
This looks really good, with what appears to be significantly more detailed customization than LotRO (the only other MMO I played long enough to own a house).

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
So, what determines how powerful your ultimate abilities are? Are they not scaled to max magicka/stamina? Also I haven't unlocked any of the ultimates from the weapon skill chains yet, but do you need to have the corresponding weapon equipped in order to use them?

Also, holy poo poo, Athletics. If I was looking for a reason to not respec from a stamina build wearing all medium armor, I think I found it. :psyduck:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
So to level the Undaunted skill line, I need to complete public dungeons, and group dungeons, but delves don't count? I thought the only dungeons I'd finished are delves, but I'm at Level 2 with no recollection of what I did to get there.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I think seeing screenshots of Hew's Bane alone would have sold me on ESO. This game can be really loving pretty, you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The only Bahraha's Curse pieces I've found so far have been medium armor, and I was puzzled to see a medium set that isn't specifically geared toward stamina builds. Now that I know there are variable sets, and it's one of them, I am really excited about the potential, and Undaunted Mettle suddenly seems way more useful than I first thought.

I also recently started questing in Malabal Tor and stumbled upon the Thunderbug's Carapace set. That's something that really speaks to my inner M:tG nerd. If I'm understanding this right, there's a synergy where I could potentially deal a chunk of shock damage to an enemy, triggering a meteor shower for more shock damage, and instakill them if they're under 15% health, by being hit. That's possibly impractical considering I should be trying my best to not take damage, but it's hilarious.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 9, 2016