Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
I shot a music video with a $300 hacked camera and got some pretty awesome visuals that let me put together a pretty dynamic music video for almost nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unmwa23kQvE

This video was shot with a $300 D3300, a $10 IR filter, and a simple gimbal. I took out the hot glass from inside the camera, replaced it with microscope glass, and shot with only daylight. It was all filmed during the warmer and brighter parts of the day. The specific color is created by white balancing to bright green.

One of the best aspects of shooting with IR is that I can get a pretty great, contrasty shot in what is normally too bright. I filmed numerous setups during the brightest times of the day (noticeably during the rooftop singer stuff and the parts on the beach), yet the sky has a great color and texture, and nothing is too blown out to use. After a bit of test photography, I found it pretty easy to eyeball what would play particularly well with the IR setup.

Color correction was mostly just balancing levels and crushing blacks.

Any experienced IF photographers have any pointers on taking this look further?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Black levels matter

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
nice

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

ansel autisms posted:

Black levels matter

Lol, but serious talk, anything off here?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I think it could use a few more lens flares imo.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I did some IR photography but using an IR filter on the lens instead of replacing the in-camera filter.

I usually swap the red and blue channels though as well as setting the white point like you did.

Infrared at Lago by Iain Compton, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hope nobody paid you money for that.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Pretty sweet. The outro text should be block white text in the lower left ala MTV tho. 2/10.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
so it's all just panning left to right then right to left then up and down

inspiring.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Who did the video kill?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

How does the glass conversion on the sensor work? What kind of tools/technique did you use?

Looks like you can record video that's not too shaky. And its got crazy colors! And a bunch of lens flares! Congrats.

I think it's good, though. Really.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
it' fine, don't beat yourself up

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

SMERSH Mouth posted:

How does the glass conversion on the sensor work? What kind of tools/technique did you use?

Looks like you can record video that's not too shaky. And its got crazy colors! And a bunch of lens flares! Congrats.

I think it's good, though. Really.

The conversion I did required taking apart the camera with a micro screwdriver, taking out the hot glass, and replacing it with a microscope slide cut to fit that space, and then putting a partial iR filter on the lens. It wasn't too hard, took a about 1 hour.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

why does she walk around on the beach with her heels on

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

burzum karaoke posted:

look at this guy who just doesn't understand fashion

rio
Mar 20, 2008

burzum karaoke posted:

It's art.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Some of the shots of the singer on the roof were cool but the flare was really bad and annoying

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Looks good m8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

"The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > The Dorkroom > I shot a killer music video $300 hacked camera, tell me what I did wrong."

i notice the thread title contains minor grammatical errors

allow me to remedy this

• Locked thread