Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

DeafAsianQT posted:

Skyfire Ave has a really slow and odd start (lots of talk about wine, etc the first few chapters) but then picks up
It's very bland and it begins with an accidental rape. I wouldn't recommend it.

What happened to Douluo Dalu, btw? It used to be one of the most popular translated novels, but it seems to have disappeared from any discussions. I think it was the first CN I tried to read, about a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

For about the last 40 chapters Douluo Dalu has been stuck on an island doing tribulation after tribulation, which is dreadfully boring compared to the actual storyline they had going against the Spirit Hall. That vendetta and the wider politics drew me in. Now it's just power-up after power-up and, of course, Tang San excels at everything and achieves 200% at every test on the goddamn island so there is no tension, zero plot developments, and the humor was never worth mentioning anyway.

I'm not sure I can stand another 10-20, oh hell, probably 50 chapters of "he's so awesome, he carried the whole team and got AAA+++ ratings from the teachers and super amazing rewards" :fh:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
skyfire avenue is incredibly pretentious. here is a hint: whenever it starts going on about how some luxury item is the most amazing thing to ever exist, try googling "most expensive <item name>". congratulations, you just put exactly the same amount of research in as the author.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Fleve posted:

For about the last 40 chapters Douluo Dalu has been stuck on an island doing tribulation after tribulation, which is dreadfully boring compared to the actual storyline they had going against the Spirit Hall. That vendetta and the wider politics drew me in. Now it's just power-up after power-up and, of course, Tang San excels at everything and achieves 200% at every test on the goddamn island so there is no tension, zero plot developments, and the humor was never worth mentioning anyway.

I'm not sure I can stand another 10-20, oh hell, probably 50 chapters of "he's so awesome, he carried the whole team and got AAA+++ ratings from the teachers and super amazing rewards" :fh:

i never could stick with douluo dalu (except for the comic because the colors are just so gorgeous) because it is perhaps the ur-example in web novels of one of the problems of virtue ethics where early on he straight up murders a guy on the street who was zero real threat to him over an insult and this was a praiseworthy thing that exemplified his courage and honor

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013

UberJew posted:

i never could stick with douluo dalu (except for the comic because the colors are just so gorgeous) because it is perhaps the ur-example in web novels of one of the problems of virtue ethics where early on he straight up murders a guy on the street who was zero real threat to him over an insult and this was a praiseworthy thing that exemplified his courage and honor

When did this happen?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

DeafAsianQT posted:

When did this happen?

I completely mixed up douluo dalu with shen yin wang zuo by the same author actually

i dropped douluo dalu because of the boring tournament arc instead

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
child of light by the same guy was kind of dull but mostly inoffensive, but then it started doing one tournament after another with the flimsiest of pretexts. making a protagonist who is good at running away and healing and then doing nothing but tournaments where those abilities are completely useless was a very strange decision. i guess that author just really, really likes tournaments.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
“My heart grows cold with disappointment to be manipulated by the clan like this!” Meng Hao said, gnashing his teeth.

Fang Shoudao waved his finger at Meng Hao, causing a warm feeling to spread across his chest and over his heart.

“Feel a bit warmer now?” he said coolly.

ISSTH owns.

Also, the Douluo Dalu guy made Heavenly Jewel Change, which is pure garbage.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

In thread-relevant content, are there any of these stories that are sci-fi (and tolerably good)? And I mean legit sci-fi; stories about hyper-advanced immersive VR that people use to play fancy D&D don't count.

Crest/Banner of the Stars? They are from before light novel was really a term, but I'd say they fall well into the category.
Also I guess Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere kinda counts as sci-fi too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no one should ever read horizon or anything else in the city series

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

nielsm posted:

Crest/Banner of the Stars? They are from before light novel was really a term, but I'd say they fall well into the category.

I did like the animes.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

In thread-relevant content, are there any of these stories that are sci-fi (and tolerably good)? And I mean legit sci-fi; stories about hyper-advanced immersive VR that people use to play fancy D&D don't count.

Kind of a big spoiler, but Scrapped Princess might count.

Good luck finding an English version, though.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
Well, the latest chapter of ISSTH made me laugh and gave me serious, serious feels

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maybe this will become a thing?

https://j-novel.club/

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Kumo-chan scanlation got updated. Biohazard Spider is the best.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

jwang posted:

Kumo-chan scanlation got updated. Biohazard Spider is the best.

I was partial to her labcoat.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Oh man, she's finally made it to the cavern! Can't wait for the monkey assault.

I really wish the manga came out more frequently, it's really good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nielsm posted:

Maybe this will become a thing?

https://j-novel.club/

I get the impression that one about Moe ruining everything (My little sister can read Kanji) is going to try to have it's cake and eat it on the matter.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
This was a cute short story.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I've been enjoying the hell out of Running Away From the Hero!. It's an amusing take on a "I was reborn in a fantasy world" with a truly Korean flavor.

Basic Synopsis: Korean salaryman reincarnates into a fantasy world with absolutely no ability to use Physical Strengthening or Magic arts. How does he survive? He helps an evil organization cultivate scary students by brainwashing them and doing tons of paperwork to make himself invaluable. The catch? He doesn't really care about good or evil, he just trains troublesome students who end up all becoming monsters (whether Heroes or Villains) who still fear the hell out of him because of how harsh he was with forming them when they were young.

Along with his two mystical weapons the all-feared "Wooden Bat" and the reclusive yet terrifying "Metal Bat" watch his antics as his dream of an early retirement is ruined.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

FriggenJ posted:

I've been enjoying the hell out of Running Away From the Hero!. It's an amusing take on a "I was reborn in a fantasy world" with a truly Korean flavor.

Basic Synopsis: Korean salaryman reincarnates into a fantasy world with absolutely no ability to use Physical Strengthening or Magic arts. How does he survive? He helps an evil organization cultivate scary students by brainwashing them and doing tons of paperwork to make himself invaluable. The catch? He doesn't really care about good or evil, he just trains troublesome students who end up all becoming monsters (whether Heroes or Villains) who still fear the hell out of him because of how harsh he was with forming them when they were young.

Along with his two mystical weapons the all-feared "Wooden Bat" and the reclusive yet terrifying "Metal Bat" watch his antics as his dream of an early retirement is ruined.

It's interesting, but after the first 4 chapters, it's behind a paywall. That's pretty much the worst thing ever. The translation isn't even that good.

edit: From the same website, though, I recommend you all immediately read this beautiful work: Invisible Dragon

Words cannot be used to properly convey the experience.

edit edit:

Apparently Invisible Dragon is considered one of the seven "Forbidden Texts" of Korean novels. I did a bit of digging and found the descriptions for the other six.

quote:

Sorry for seeing this so late.
Here are the other 6 of the 7 forbidden texts.

Blood Martial God: The legend of the forbidden wuxia novels in Korea. The novel is quite famous for having so much bs logic-- starting from the fact that the author started off the novel with pitting the main character against one million martial artists. The author's bs logic is highlighted at the end of volume 1, where the author utters these famous words: "What is the fate of the martial world after this Not even god knows But I as an author know Which means that I the author is above god uhahahahaha". The novel has been completely erased from the site it was on. Only the first volume of the book still exists.

Supreme Martial Arts: A wuxia novel written by a middle schooler who became inspired by the writing style of invisible dragon. Apparently the entire plot of the novel was created in a mere 12 minutes.

Dissecting Fantasy Plots: This isn't actually a novel. It's actually a parody of generic fantasy novels. The only reason this is considered a forbidden text is because it was written a long time ago. People couldn't understand it that well because of the language from the early 90's, and marked it as a forbidden text.

Harry and Monster: A legend among forbidden novels. It is on a different class from other forbidden texts. The text destroys any bit of logic that may have been left in the plot, which makes it completely meaningless to try to understand. It was actually published in real life, which just serves to make it even more infamous. It was dubbed the name "Korean Necronomicon", and the reason why the book even got published is a mystery in itself. If you want to read more about this novel, there is a small preview of it in the "Novel Pickup Request" section.

Otherworld Dragon: A generic fantasy novel. This was only marked as a forbidden novel because of how generic it was during the early days of Korean novels. These types of novels are everywhere in Korea now. The plot is about a dragon who transfers to earth and wrecks poo poo. The novel is criticized even more because of its plot progression.

My Boyfriend's IQ is 180: The novel that was created with the mind of an elementary schooler. The main character is a person who is 180cm tall, and weighs 40kg, who can fight and win against a group of 60 people. Reading this numbs the mind of the reader. The fact that the author ended the novel with a kiss that lasted several hours just makes everything worse.

The works of Kim Won Ho: Just the fact that it was written by this man makes the novel a forbidden text.

-----

Kim Won Ho is a Korean novelist who publishes novels at the speed and quality of a factory machinery. The author is described as the collective of all bad parts of Korean novels. All of his novels contain an OP main, a huge amount of cliches, balance destruction, etc etc. It is said that just about everything about all the characters in his novels can be seen just by looking at the author's name on the cover. because of this, a strange situation where an author became even more famous than his works has been created.

...I should actually post this at my site.
Source

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 19, 2016

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Krunge posted:

It's interesting, but after the first 4 chapters, it's behind a paywall. That's pretty much the worst thing ever. The translation isn't even that good.

He still releases free chapters regularly. The paywall is more for early access to translated chapters that come out weekly-ish. He's gone forward, I think, 6 sections in the paywall from where the free translations are.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

Krunge posted:

edit: From the same website, though, I recommend you all immediately read this beautiful work: Invisible Dragon

I love how it took one week to write 43 chapters, two weeks to get to 47 chapters, 4 months for ch 48, 6 months for ch 49, then over a year for the final one. That's dedication, right there. I would've been on the edge of my seat the entire time.

filthychimp fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 19, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Krunge posted:

edit edit:

Apparently Invisible Dragon is considered one of the seven "Forbidden Texts" of Korean novels. I did a bit of digging and found the descriptions for the other six.

Source

I can't tell if these are actual Korean webnovels described in a somewhat tongue-in-cheek way or just a humorous urban legend. The subsequent post noting that "Not all of the forbidden texts are actually in the download links. Some of them are either very hard to get, or was lost in the stream of time..." suggests it's the latter for at least some of them.
In particular, "People couldn't understand it that well because of the language from the early 90's, and marked it as a forbidden text," sounds like a pure joke, but maybe it's only partly a joke because Korean slang in the 90s was weird or something?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FriggenJ posted:

He still releases free chapters regularly. The paywall is more for early access to translated chapters that come out weekly-ish. He's gone forward, I think, 6 sections in the paywall from where the free translations are.

it is still charging money for content they have no legal right to.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is still charging money for content they have no legal right to.

I'm not defending him. Just saying that you'll be able to read the story to completion for free. I find the story amusing and figured I'd share.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Kumo-chan Manga has updated. This time, the star of the show is Mahou Shoujo Kumo-chan. The Ham that stole the show though would be Decapitating Thread.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
J-novel club have picked up Grimgar which could stand as their killer app for the service.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 30, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

J-novel club have picked up Grimgar which coukd stand as their killer app for the service.

Finding the link that actually let me read it was harder than it should have been, but the translation reads quite well. A little over a third through the first chapter, I'll recommend checking it out at least.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Hmm, Re:Zero just passed Kumoko on Narou's overall ranking, reaching #8. The anime has had quite the positive impact on its popularity there. Wonder if it can maintain it, given the complete lack of updates for over half a year.

In the meantime, Tondemo Skill also managed to kick Shield Hero out of the top ten. Hard to see what makes it good from the 1.5 chapters I read, but it's getting a paper release soon, at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
popularity =/= quality obviously, but i guess i'll give tondemo a shot anyway

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

darkgray posted:

In the meantime, Tondemo Skill also managed to kick Shield Hero out of the top ten. Hard to see what makes it good from the 1.5 chapters I read, but it's getting a paper release soon, at least.

I read a few more chapters than that and it seems to be just another formulaic other world WN. I can't see why it's popular when there are a thousand others exactly like it. I doubt it gets any better; not even novelupdates, with its famously terrible taste, can give it a decent score.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

darkgray posted:

Hmm, Re:Zero just passed Kumoko on Narou's overall ranking, reaching #8. The anime has had quite the positive impact on its popularity there. Wonder if it can maintain it, given the complete lack of updates for over half a year.

I had too much free time and read what's been translated and it seems really bland and bad. At a minimum it seems pretty inoffensive, whatever that's worth. Lots and lots of time spent describing boring food. Premise has some potential but I have zero faith it'll be realized.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm sad that Grimgar being licensed means the fan translation was cancelled and it'll be ages until the official one catches up. It's been getting really interesting recently, what with Moguzo dying and the the first time they try to fight goblins after that having Haruhiro almost get killed. Granted, Moguzo's death was somewhat predictable (he was easily the most likely to die of the party members), but I'm wondering how in the world they will fill the gap, since they clearly can't do poo poo without him. On one hand there aren't really any named warriors who could end up joining their party, and I doubt Haruhiro or anyone else is going to join another party.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
goddamn it, godly hunter. why the heck did it go down that route?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
It's a Chinese VRMMO webnovel. The fact that you expect anything of quality out of it is laughable. Cleanse that palate with Release that Witch. Much more enjoyable with all of the moral bankruptcy belonging to the bad guys.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was a webnovel about trying to find glitches and exploits instead of getting the highest level, best gear and an adoring harem. but what do i know, i actually enjoyed shura's wrath before it became creepy as gently caress.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
In the latest (Chinese) release of Release That Witch, we finally get around to magnet magic. YAY! :science:

Turns out the author was really terrible at describing the witch's power. She doesn't "create magnets" out of any material, but rather magnetize anything that can be magnetized. Considering that most metal stuff that is being used was made of iron, it's understandable how it seems like she creates magnets magically out of wood or whatever. I'd have to question the availability of iron in that setting, as I'd think it'd be much more believable if the most common metals used for the common people were bronze and copper, both of which aren't really magnetic. tl;dr - the magnet witch is more like a weak version of Magneto than someone that magics up magnets.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm enjoying the manga of Kumo Desu Ga, but the latest web novel chapters have been kinda... eh. The comedy scenes aren't quite as funny as I think the author thinks they are, and the troop movement ones seem perfunctory to bring the story up to the 'present' of the Elf-Village fight. There have been a few good ones here and there, which is why I've kept reading, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I read 14 chapters of Release That Witch. It's extremely boring because all conflict and challenge have been surgically removed from the setting. The conflict between modern values and life in his new setting would be interesting, but the author totally undercuts it. All of the minor characters are cool doing stuff that should get them killed by the Inquisition. The MC demonstrates no skill at persuading people but succeeds regardless.