Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Picked up Kizumonogatri on Audible largely as an experiment and I just returned it.

Jesus H Christ, if brevity is wit then NisioIsin's a freaking retard.

Going on a two page diatribe about seeing a girl's panties is not made OK by the discussion of the fact that you went on a two page diatribe about a girl's panties. I thought Medaka Box was a freak accident brought on by NisioIsin coming up against the Jump staff but no, apprenly he's that crap a writer when left to his own devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Started reading Mitou Shoukan://Blood-Sign.

Trip report: it's bad don't read it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i read through the translated chapters of spirit realm and i kind of liked it. the mc actually makes friends and acts like a human instead of a vaguely human-shaped mass of greed and bloodlust. it isn't terribly clever or innovative, just a better than average example of the genre. of course, when i checked what else that author has written it seems like he normally specializes in the RAPE RAPE RAPE wuxia style.

unrelated, but seoul station's necromancer is dumb, trashy fun.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After watching the current episodes of Magical Girl Raising Project I decided to read the translated LNs. They're quite good! Definitely high tier escapist reading, so I highly recommend them if anyone wants something fun to read. Some of the powers the girls' have and the way they use them are interesting, and the characters' themselves are also written fairly well.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Mercenary Cook has been updated. Hooray! The dish of the day is... gyoza! Or jiaozi if you're Chinese, and dumplings if you just generalize all dough-wrapped meat filling foods into one group.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I stumbled on this thread the other day and started reading Kumo. I really like it! But I finished all of the Blastron translations and I'm finding the turb0 translations to be really unpleasant to read. Are there any better translations? Or do they get better? Please tell me there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Jester Mcgee posted:

I stumbled on this thread the other day and started reading Kumo. I really like it! But I finished all of the Blastron translations and I'm finding the turb0 translations to be really unpleasant to read. Are there any better translations? Or do they get better? Please tell me there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

eventually turb0 stops and much more readable translations take its place, but they still aren't up to blastr0n's polished level.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Adelheid posted:

eventually turb0 stops and much more readable translations take its place, but they still aren't up to blastr0n's polished level.

Well that's something at least. I guess I'll keep soldiering on. Thanks!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Way of Choices is so good. It's like ATTE in that the MC wants to become immortal in order to not die. The writing is way better than most webnovels, it's doesn't have any xianxia cliches or it uses them completely differently. The story is also structured more coherently instead of being granular and repetitive (cycles of upgrades in levels and gear with a matching escalation of feuds/enemies).

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Algid posted:

Way of Choices is so good. It's like ATTE in that the MC wants to become immortal in order to not die. The writing is way better than most webnovels, it's doesn't have any xianxia cliches or it uses them completely differently. The story is also structured more coherently instead of being granular and repetitive (cycles of upgrades in levels and gear with a matching escalation of feuds/enemies).

It's getting a live-action adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY5gOf2lVI4

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
It also seems to have the Chinese equivalent of an anime. Do a youtube search for "择天记".

I also recommend Way of Choices. It's good enough to me to read the machine translated chapters at lnmtl.com

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The machine translations are terrible, but also like a thousand chapters ahead. I'm tempted to see if he FINALLY loving told someone he's dying.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I've read through what's out of Seirei Gensouki the past week, and feel like I enjoyed it enough to give it a mild recommendation, which is hard to reach in this day and age. It starts out with the standard reincarnation template, where the protagonist dies in a traffic accident and finds himself in a fantasy world inhabiting the body of a young orphan, where he's regained the memories of his former Japanese life. As par for the course, he discovers he has magical powers and is super amazing, saving royalty and going through magic school and befriending elves and finding soy sauce and all that, which is ... decent enough, I guess.

But in the fourth arc, the author suddenly slams down another web novel template, creating a curious blend, that finally turns the title into something pretty good. It's also the beginning of a series of events that makes it impossible to think you're reading anything other than a ridiculous shoujo romance manga, with all the horrible clichés that come with it. It all culminates in a horrifyingly frustrating climax at the end of arc five, but while I use a lot of negative adjectives to describe it, the result is still unique enough in the web novel genre to make it stand out and keep you turning pages at a blazing rate, so it's a peculiar experience.

Luckily it also has its share of rape and slavery, so someone's naturally deemed it worthy of translation: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/seirei-gensouki-konna-sekai-de-deaeta-kimi-ni/
As far as I can tell, the translations are coming out at a fair pace, and currently cover about 25% of the original material, which itself is still ongoing. At this rate, the fourth arc (where Things Happen) should appear pretty soon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just say what the big twist is. you and i have very different tastes in garbage fiction and i'm not gonna read that.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

just say what the big twist is. you and i have very different tastes in garbage fiction and i'm not gonna read that.

Eh, if you won't read it, I don't quite see the point in spoiling it, but oh well.

Spoilers for Seirei Gensouki arc 4: The gods summon 6 Heroes from another world -- obviously Japanese teenagers -- who are granted divine weapons. By accident, powerless "civilians" in their vicinity also got dragged along, one of whom turns out to be the protagonist's childhood crush. The interactions generated by the differences of growing up in that world and just warping in are interesting. Plus convoluted romantic developments.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh. mushoku tensei did something similar too, though obviously this is not an endorsement for that piece of poo poo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I've been continuing to read the Magical Girl Raising Project LNs, and they're so good. There's such a huge difference between actual properly edited work written by a professional writer and 99% of WNs. I'm in Volume 4 now (which is the third arc, since Volume 3 is a collection of side stories) and it is super thrilling/exciting. All the characters are really unique and well defined and have interesting powers they use in creative ways. While all the volumes are good, it gets significantly better (in my opinion) after Volume 1, largely due to a few of Volume 1's characters being more weakly characterized and having unclear motivations.

One cool thing about MGRP (though more so post-Volume 1) is that there isn't really a protagonist and it skips around between different character viewpoints, sort of like in A Song of Ice and Fire. The general plot is also much more interesting than standard WN/LN fare and doesn't really suffer from the most common negative WN/LN tropes.

Anyways, someone else should read it. At the very least, I can guarantee that it is better than 90% of the WNs we discuss in this thread, so I recommend giving it a shot instead of reading yet another exciting tale about slave harems.

edit: One kind of neat example of one of the girls' powers is "the ability to make anything return to its owner (by touching it)". So if, for example, you find any possession of a person, you can track them down by making it return to them. Or you can do something like touch someone's car, causing it to become a flying homing car missile!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 29, 2016

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Huh, didn't realize there were translations past the volume 4 side stories (if you're mixing volumes and arcs, volumes 2 and 3 are arc 2, and volume 5 is arc 3). Guess I have more reading to do, since I found nice epubs to read but only up to volume 4. Welp.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

In the previous thread, someone posted a tool to make ebook-reader compatible files from Narou links.

Here's a website that does the same thing:
http://narou.nyanpass.jp/

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

darkgray posted:

Eh, if you won't read it, I don't quite see the point in spoiling it, but oh well.
Dude between your avatar and this thread in general, nobody gonna read four-five arcs of trash for some nebulous payoff

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Jackard posted:

Dude between your avatar and this thread in general, nobody gonna read four-five arcs of trash for some nebulous payoff

What's the avatar got to do with anything? Someone anonymous (?) randomly bought it for me, along with a dozen other people. And why are you even visiting this thread if not to dive into the garbage heap?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
There are some good links but this thread has also recommended weird poo poo like a Chinese lich torturing people, so

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Desuwa posted:

Huh, didn't realize there were translations past the volume 4 side stories (if you're mixing volumes and arcs, volumes 2 and 3 are arc 2, and volume 5 is arc 3). Guess I have more reading to do, since I found nice epubs to read but only up to volume 4. Welp.

Yeah I was saying the volumes wrong and I forgot that Arc 2 and 3 are both 2 volumes long. Currently a full arc after the side stories and most of the arc after that are complete.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i miss my butt avatar. it made people so incredibly mad for some reason.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

i miss my butt avatar. it made people so incredibly mad for some reason.

I had you on ignore before it went away

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

On the off-chance someone else has read through the end of Arc 2 of MGRP (so end of Arc 2/Volume 3 spoilers)I feel like there may have been a bit of a plot hole in the scene where Pechika turns the ground into vegetable soup and pulls Melville inside. I feel like I remember Pechika's power requiring her to spend 5 minutes creating food, and I seriously doubt that Melville was holding her hostage in front of Clantail for a whole 5 minutes.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

On the off-chance someone else has read through the end of Arc 2 of MGRP (so end of Arc 2/Volume 3 spoilers)I feel like there may have been a bit of a plot hole in the scene where Pechika turns the ground into vegetable soup and pulls Melville inside. I feel like I remember Pechika's power requiring her to spend 5 minutes creating food, and I seriously doubt that Melville was holding her hostage in front of Clantail for a whole 5 minutes.

I've read it, it's only volume 5+ that I didn't realize were also translated, and yeah that doesn't make much sense. Five minutes is too long for a standoff, and I'd assume Melville knew Pechika's power. Hell, by that time Pechika had mostly gotten over Nokko's influence and she's pretty bloodthirsty herself, so she could have just turned Melville into soup.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Jackard posted:

There are some good links but this thread has also recommended weird poo poo like a Chinese lich torturing people, so

I still stand by that recommendation! He was torturing his assassins by making them play games they couldn't win even though they're notorious cheaters and feather tickling.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Desuwa posted:

I've read it, it's only volume 5+ that I didn't realize were also translated, and yeah that doesn't make much sense. Five minutes is too long for a standoff, and I'd assume Melville knew Pechika's power. Hell, by that time Pechika had mostly gotten over Nokko's influence and she's pretty bloodthirsty herself, so she could have just turned Melville into soup.

I don't really mind Melville being surprised, since everyone else, including Pechika herself up until that point, had only thought Pechika could use her power in a pretty mundane way. I also think that Pechika was not directly in contact with Melville, who had a spear against her neck or something, so she couldn't have turned her into food. (I mean, she was touching her while they were underwater/soup, but that was for a very short time.)

If you really want to stretch things, I guess one could argue that Pechika had been in contact with the ground in that general area (through her feet) for at least 5 minutes (it never said she has to touch something with her skin, so it might count if it's through her costume). Another thing to keep in mind is that it's already been established that magical powers can improve with experience (see Snow White), and it's possible that getting her memory back allowed Pechika to do things she couldn't do before. Regardless, it should have been clarified better.

Regarding Pechika being bloodthirsty, I got the impression that it wasn't so much bloodthirstiness as it was that she just enjoyed fighting to some extent. The scene of her raging out during the dragon fight involved Nokko-chan influencing her anger, though it did reveal that she knew how to fight well.

Regarding Volume 5+, I like that it's finally getting away from the "organized death game where almost everyone is guaranteed to die" set-up. Volume 5 seems to pretty clearly establish where people stand, so there isn't the same "I wonder which characters are going to be murderous/evil" element at play (though Volumes 2-3 were pretty good in this regard; the only people who seemed to not care about killing were Melville and Akane, and there were still reasons for their behavior).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 30, 2016

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

FriggenJ posted:

I still stand by that recommendation! He was torturing his assassins by making them play games they couldn't win even though they're notorious cheaters and feather tickling.

That whole scene was written as a fakeout, he probably quit reading as soon as the tentacles appeared and missed the reveal.

Everyone should read The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Algid posted:

I decided to give this one a whirl. Not far into it, but I'm enjoying myself so far. Chen Chang Sheng is such a prissy loving nerd :allears: He and Xu You Rong are perfect for each other.

Whoever translated the prologue did a really good job. Strikingly good. It's a pity that the regular translations are so... standard fan translation garbage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol some guy actually tried publishing his crossover fan fiction as a wn: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/shokugeki-no-imitation-chef/

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

lol some guy actually tried publishing his crossover fan fiction as a wn: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/shokugeki-no-imitation-chef/

that'll go nicely with the "I've got all the naruto powers in a xiaxia world" WN

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

I decided to give this one a whirl. Not far into it, but I'm enjoying myself so far. Chen Chang Sheng is such a prissy loving nerd :allears: He and Xu You Rong are perfect for each other.

Whoever translated the prologue did a really good job. Strikingly good. It's a pity that the regular translations are so... standard fan translation garbage.
The prologue read like something out of A Wizard of Earthsea. The prose is just so much better than most serialized fiction.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

:tipshat:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh no, the end of the third MGRP arc! Also, the part where (Arc 3/ Volume 6 spoilers)mind-controlled Rain Pou just cuts Postarie to pieces was brutal, Postarie didn't get any first-person perspective before it! At least most of her other classmates got relatively heroic/useful death scenes, but she just got butchered after helping her friend/the assassin almost kill Ripple. Speaking of which, I hope that Ripple's memory loss isn't permanent. Pythie Frederica is pretty terrifying and insane, though I guess that's what makes her a good villain.

Also this one new character in the new Volume/Arc has quite possibly the shittiest power I've seen yet. She can change the image that appears in mirrors! Like, I can kinda sorta see that being useful if you were fighting inside of, uh, a mirror house or something, but even then it's kind of worthless as long as the opponent is aware of what the power does (all they have to do is ignore mirrors). It seems like the most you could do with it is create small distractions. I guess maybe you could disguise a big mirror as glass and then make it appear like the opponent sees you through the glass when you're actually just creating the image in the mirror, but that's kind of convoluted.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 1, 2016

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Mmmh, MGRP quickly change protagonist or something? Because I only watched the first couple of episode and was frustrated at how no one caught on what was happening, but I actually sort of liked the main character.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
way of choices is the best fantasy thing I've read in a while. live action version looks good too so I hope it gets english subs after it comes out

owl milk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 1, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arkeus posted:

Mmmh, MGRP quickly change protagonist or something? Because I only watched the first couple of episode and was frustrated at how no one caught on what was happening, but I actually sort of liked the main character.

The anime only covers the first volume of the LN, and currently the first 7 or 8 volumes (which is almost 4 arcs) are translated (one of which is a compilation of side stories about the characters). While I like the first arc, I don't think its cast was quite as strong as the casts from future arcs (each arc introduces a bunch of new characters, but the "main plot" still continues). All the characters had well defined motives in the future arcs, but in the first arc some people are just terrible sociopaths for seemingly no reason.

One of the coolest parts in Arc 3 (so volume 5-6 spoilers) was when Funny Trick used her power to replace Pukin's eye with a smoke grenade. It was a good example of how some powers can be used to devastating effect if fully understood. Funny Trick's ability is to switch two hidden objects (as long as the first is within 100 meters and the second is within 50 meters of the first), so in the instant Pukin blinked (which covered her eye) it was possible to switch it with something of a similar size. From what I understand, Funny Trick is able to switch anything as long as she can truly know its position (so she can't do something like switch someone's heart or brain with something, because even though she has an idea where it's located, she would technically be estimating its location since she hasn't actually seen it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

owl milk posted:

way of choices is the best fantasy thing I've read in a while. live action version looks good too so I hope it gets english subs after it comes out

I never knew staring at rocks could be so intense. :catstare: