Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

bad metaphors posted:

I watched the thing. Some thoughts below.

Thanks! I didn't realize there was an airdashers thread. I haven't stepped out of my subbed threads in a pretty long time.

Hopefully people will see the pasted comment on my video. I agree with all of your points, and I ALMOST mentioned using 2HS to frametrap if you get the read people are trying to jump out of your pressure. I didn't mention it though because I didn't want to overwhelm more than I already had. After playing a lot in the past few days, I think mentioning tigerknee stun edge as a go-to frametrap is worth doing--I do go over it in my next videos where I'm playing online--as it tends to punish mashing (and a lot of other stuff like dead angles and throw attempts) better than most everything else.

You're probably right about 5k into 2s being a better go-to. I was really looking for the most fool proof and easy to execute frametrap to focus on in the video. I specifically wanted one that did give the feedback of a big, obvious counter-hit with almost no risk for loving up the execution. I think 2p 5HS does make sense for those reasons, but I do realize that it is not as practical or universally good outside the very specific situation of someone who just mashes 2p mindlessly during your pressure. The c.S into 6HS definitely punishes better, but it's really easy to overestimate the execution of newer players.

I'm not really sure why I went with 2p in the video over 5k as an opener for all of these. I really should try using more staggered 5k pressure when I play :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

The noob control mode is like going bowling with bumpers, or biking with training wheels. No one who is even moderately good would consider those things an advantage in a competitive match. People who use that mode are not going to learn the game or how to play properly at all. Maybe they beat you when you are super new and have no idea what's going on, but if you get even moderately good it should be a complete non-issue. Whenever I see that "S" I just roll my eyes, not because I think they're going to have an edge over me, but because I assume correctly that they don't know how to play at all and that the match is a waste of my time.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I've been on discord for like two weeks now and usually every other day I try to get a game a few times, I've had one person play with me. I'm getting tired of even bothering to open it up or try to use it at all

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

That's the discord I'm on--the official one not the goon one--trying to play XRD

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 27, 2016

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

anyone east coast US want to play revelator right now? can't get a game in discord ever

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

k add me on psn: systranerror

I may still be able to in an hour depending on if my wife makes me do something or not

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Hey timing is bad for me, I'll be on more later tonight if you can still play, but I can't play now.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'm going to eat and I'll prob be on in an hour or so, adding people on Steam (but playing on PS3 obviously)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

There is a lobby now: q80v

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Ky has some legit IK combos that I use in real matches. He can IK from a 5D in the corner or from his vapor thrust loops in the corner provided he has enough meter and provided it's a match-deciding round. There are situations where even if you spent all your meter to squeeze out extra damage the opponent wouldn't die, so the IK combo is a real thing you can do to close out the match.

It does REALLY REALLY suck if you drop the IK part of the combo though, as you end up with no grinder setup and no meter for the rest of the round.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

$60 really does suck though. They are going to lose a lot of sales and go into their feedback loop of "PC players don't buy fighting games." If the game had come out maybe just a few months after the PS3/PS4 versions it wouldn't have been so bad, but it's been really long. When you buy a game like this you are basically paying to pay the most recent version for however long it remains the most recent version. PC players are going to miss out on many months of "Most recent version" but are still having to pay $60. If they want to get it cheaper they can wait even longer for the price to go down.

I unfortunately already have the game on PS3. I'd like to get it on PC to play with more people, but not for $60. I wouldn't be surprised if another version of the game is announced before the PC price drops below $30.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Drythe posted:

I bought Guilty Gear on PC cause it looks real cool, and then I remember I never played fighting games and am trash at them.

What do I do to actually learn how to play these games? I have been going through the combo tutorials but I don't really know anything beyond that.

There is also a really good Youtube tutorial series out there that I forgot the name of (it's not mine lol) where it goes through almost every basic element of the game (and 2d fighters) and explains the "why" behind it really well. It's a playlist...if anyone remembers what I'm talking about link it here.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Are there some standard patterns to tap out for basic air combos? I got a good launcher set up for ky but in the air i tend to just mash a gatling into a special while my opponents seem to have a game plan when they do it to me.

I'm only talking about mid-screen here, for corners you need to just learn the vapor thrust loops:

For Ky you usually can always just do j.S JC, J.S j.HS xx HS DP. Sometimes the spacing will be weird and you will visually see that the DP isn't going to connect, in this case it's best to cancel the j.HS into j.D.

There are certain situations where you may need to start with j.P or j.K, or so something like j.S j.P j.S etc., but I'd honestly use J.S J.S J.HS xx HS DP as your "go-to" as there is already enough poo poo to have to remember starting out on this game to dick with optimizing 10-20 damage right out of the gate.

edit:

The other thing with Ky out of certain air combo chances you often want to take a knockdown instead of damage. For instance if you land greed sever, 6p AA, or 2HS AA, it's often better to simply do cS, 2HS xx HS DP, as that will knock them down for a bit less damage.

If you do the 2HS DP into JC into the air combo I mentioned above, you get more damage but they can tech before they are knocked down.

There are certain characters--like May--who tend to be able to tech out of the lower damage combo really low off the ground in many cases, and against those characters I usually just say "gently caress it" and do the more damaging variant since the knockdown is unreliable anyway.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 21, 2016

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I am gonna try and actually commit to practicing combos instead of flailing away in matches like i usually do. I made this one up just now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye0kJVNbWWI

GONNA VOMIT OUT A WALL OF KY TEXT FOR NO REASON!!!

You cannot combo into greed sever unless you do the CH far. S 3HS xx Greed Sever combo. That is a legit combo if you are fishing for counterhits or if you do a jump-in and hit them crouching, but in regular hit confirms that you are looking to make "go-to" combos with Ky, this isn't the route you want to be going.

It's hard to just list off combos for you, because really what happens as you learn to play is you'll realize that the combos you practice in training mode feel impossible to land in real matches. The issue is that your neutral game is probably extremely terrible, and you have zero idea how to open an opponent up enough to hit them with something and THEN confirm it.

Before you just drill combos from thin air, you really want to think about how you are going to actually land these in matches. If you neglect to do this, you'll end up just running forward into people and pressing the first button you practiced opening the combo with, hoping that they will for some reason just not block your hit.

This is why you see so many bad Ky players--especially online--just doing random stun dippers and greed sever. Both stun dipper and greed sever are super punishable on block, but greed sever especially at far range usually requires the opponent to actually know the optimal punish in the MU and be ready for it. If they don't know, you'll get away with it and you won't get proper feedback for your bad habit. The first thing you want to do is to stop spamming greed sever and stun dipper all the time. I haven't seen you even play a match, but I pretty much know that you are doing it!

Once you stop spamming greed sever and stun dipper from half-screen hoping for a random hit, you will be confronted by the cold-hard fact that you have zero idea what you are doing. This feels lovely, but it will also allow you to start doing correct stuff that will build up a real neutral game.

First thing to start trying to poke with in a match: far 5S. On hit or block, cancel into 2S.

This is a pretty good baby's first hit confirm/combo. It's not going to always work due to the finicky range on stun dipper, but basically what you want to do AT FIRST is to almost always just do far 5S, 2S. You do 2S because a blocked 5S raw and not canceled into stuff is very minus on block and lovely. The 2s also gives you time to hit confirm the whole thing. If the 2s hits, you cancel it into stun dipper. If the 2s whiffs after the 5s hits, then don't sweat it, you still hit them and learned some neutral poo poo.

Far 5S and 2S are among Ky's best pokes, and using them like this will get you familiar with the range and use of both. Once you are comfortable, try using 2S alone sometimes, as it hits low and is very good on its own. When 2S is blocked (also after 5S 2S), you can either cancel it into a fireball, or you can just do nothing. 2s is -3, so it's safe, but it doesn't give you actual frame advantage. However, if you're close enough, you can cancel it late into 5Hs, which can frametrap, or you can cancel it into 6k or 6HS if you're close enough, which can also frametrap while extending your pressure. Finally, when you cancel 2S into fireball SOMETIMES, and not all the time, you prime your opponent to be afraid and block. If they are afraid of a late fireball cancel and just sit there, you can move up on them and hit them with some closer pokes, such at another 2s! Or fish for a far 5S counterhit, etc. If they decide you aren't going to fireball and try to run around, and you do fireball cancel, the fireball often hits them.

When you get the hang of that, try poking with 2D (your sweep). This move has less range than 5s or 2s, but it's active REALLY long, and it lowers your hitbox a ton. It also leads directly into a knockdown. If you throw this move out kind of close, for example if you make them block a 2s and manage to move up on them some, you want to buffer it into 236D, because that move is -1 on block (safe) but on hit leads to Ky's grinder setup on hit. An example of what you can do with 2D would be against players who tend to just loving run straight into you. 5S is good against them also, but since 2D is active longer and starts up faster, it can sometimes be better at catching these types of players. Start trying to fish for hits with 2D just to get a feel for it. This move can be whiff punished since it's active so long, but you have to experiment with it and get hit sometimes to learn when to use it. Try to just do 2D xx 236D like every time you do it, that way you can start getting grinder setups.

If the 236D hits them (at max range it will whiff), you have a few options, all of which are not super hard to execute and very good:

1. Just do 236H immediately. Provided you are not at super max range, the grinder will come out and be on top of them before they get up. They are forced to block it. You then run up and do a mixup on them.
2. Dash as soon as you are able and jump (669) whiff a j.K, j.p, or j.S or whatever early in the air to throw them off some, land and do 5k if close enough, 2S if you're out of 5k range.
3. Do same as above, but right before you are about to land, as late as possible, air dash and press j.S j.HS, land, then do c.S, 6k xx 236D, 2D. This all combos. If you're too far to hit with 2D, just do 5s xx stun dipper.

Option 2 is hitting them low, option 3 is hitting them high. If you do this alternating randomly, they will guess wrong sometimes and you'll hit them.

If the above is all too complicated for you, you can just cancel your long range pokes with 2D into 236H. As long as you're not super close, the charged stun edge will come out and force them to block it as they stand up. You can then mix them up.

It's really important you realize that you have to earn your way in, and unless you have really earned your way into them or knocked them down, you won't be pressing any of those buttons that are more suited for close range (like close S, 5k, 2p, etc.) If you can start poking with far S, 2S, and 2D effectively in matches, you'll find yourself eventually getting in on people. Then everything will kind of change, but you'll also be closer to the territory where you can look to do bigger combos, and where you can actually pressure people enough that they get cornered--which opens up all of Ky's really big combos.

Somewhat separate from all that, a very practical combo that will be helpful to practice RIGHT NOW in training mode, even before you get practiced with all the poo poo I typed above, are your anti-air combos.

You need to be able to do these and practice anti-airing in matches.

6P (anti-air) c.S, 2HS xx DP is the go-to. This gives you a knockdown for less damage than the other variants, but the knockdown is usually better. Against some light characters you may notice that this doesn't actually knock down. If you see it's not knocking a character down, move to the below combo so you get more damages with your non-knockdown.
6p (anti-air) c.S, 2Hs j.s JC j.s j.HS xx HS DP

You can also try practicing using 2HS as a pre-emptive anti-air tool. The only issue is that there are actually three different combo situations depending on if it hits normal, a 1-hit CH, or a 2-hit CH. For that reason I would focus more on the 6p combos before you dick around too much with 2HS. Once you have some other fundamentals down though, 2HS is an amazing tool that you'll want to learn the ins and outs of fairly soon.

Some other super practical combos you can practice (though most of these are only going to be possible for you in matches if you learn the fundamental stuff above first):

-c.S 2D xx 236D, Charge Stun Edge into the split ciel as soon as you are able
-c.S 6k 236D, 2D. If you aren't super close you may have to do a microdash for the 2D to legit combo. As soon as they are down, do charge stun edge through the split ciel. This is a strong corner tool especially, usually what you want to do after you hit with a jump-in in the corner. It's so good because if you just hold up-forward after the charged stun edge, you will land outside their throw range and can threaten either empty jump low or dash-in 50/50 mixup without spending any meter. If you YRC the CSE, you can make the mixup even scarier by hitting them with it while they are still blocking the grinder.

**DP PUNISH**
If you ever block a DP from someone like Ky or Sol, or any reversal where you have time to get POINT BLANK on them and hit them, do: c.S 5HS 6k xx 236D (pause briefly until you are pushed back) stun dipper for knockdown.

I personally wouldn't bother practicing the VT loops until you find yourself cornering people who aren't terrible regularly. You'll spend a lot of time practicing it and will never corner people or be able to open them up enough in the corner to use them. If you find yourself with a launch in the corner, just do one DP, then hit them with c.S xx 236D on the way down instead of trying to loop. If you find yourself actually doing the no-loop version regularly in matches, then it's time to practice loops.

I'd also avoid practicing most stun dipper combos other than the far S, 2S xx stun dipper thing I mentioned above. The reason being that you'll more often than not get flustered and autopilot a combo in a match without looking at the range. You'll find yourself going into stun dipper way too close and having the second hit get blocked. Far S 2S xx stun dipper is a safe go-to because the 2S is going to whiff a lot of the time, and if it whiffs the stun dipper won't come out. If you do happen to be close enough for the 2S to hit after the 5S, the 2S is always going to hit on the tip and be far enough away for the stun dipper to cleanly 2-hit.

Also I made this a long time ago so I'm sure some stuff isn't optimal but whatever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzAAz_aPeM

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 1, 2017

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

The Ky dustloop page and wiki is also not very good. Unfortunately I ONLY play Ky. I'm interested in a lot of other characters, but I only play once or twice a week max offline, and I don't have time to play other characters on the side. This means I have no idea what is out there for non-Ky characters.

Here is probably the best two Ky things I found online. Note that--from what I can tell--no one ever follows through on any resource ever. The "Ky-ble" has a bunch of blank stuff in it that was never filled in and hasn't been touched for months.

Holy Ky-ble: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h0OBcFGQVP3eBB2zsYla6lYHzXlvVe4T9YEda-BY6hM/edit#heading=h.76rdbr8zcqxh
Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Ouf_A7tIM

The Youtube video is super dense, and at first glance it actually looks like a combo video if you are new. It's not a combo video. It's a video showing you (mostly) PRACTICAL setups of stuff you can and should do in matches. The reason it's doing the same thing over and over is because it's showing you against different character weights. Sometimes you will see a one-off really weird combo against a character like Leo or Chipp, and these are basically the super-optimized versions of whatever the thing is that work only on that character. The video doesn't explain any of this, it's just implied and assumed that you realize this.

You'll see certain combos that only happen once, and they will give you answers to stuff like, "If you hit Sol sort of near the corner but not in the corner, what combo will actually carry him to the corner and allow me a corner combo?"

The video is actually the only comprehensive thing I've ever found that answers questions like, "If I throw RC against Faust in the corner, what is the best combo to do?"

Of course, if you are new and don't know what is going on, you won't know a lot of the time why a certain setup is being shown, or what it is the "answer" to.

Because it's so comprehensive, as a new player it's insanely overwhelming. There are some really weird mixup setups in the video that I almost never see people use in matches, and the video may spend like 2 minutes showing you all the variations on that setup, then a super important thing you should do all the time will get blown past so fast you might not even notice it.

The video was made before they changed how the horizontal homing jumps off 5D worked, so you have to ignore every single one of those combos. The guy uploaded a new video showing the updated optimal 5D combos off the horizontal homing jump, so just check his new video for those.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 2, 2017

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Meridian posted:

If you're ever free and want to play some games I'd love to run a few sets with you. I'm very fresh to playing this game seriously and figured I'd start with Ky so I think I'd get a lot out of it.

If you are East Coast US and also on PS3/PS4 I can play with you. Otherwise I cannot!

My PSN is "systranerror"

I am actually in the goon discord as well as "angelopportunity"

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Ya I just added in a transcript into the vid description of what I was saying when the audio cut out for a full minute (so annoying). Fun fact, Youtube doesn't allow annotations at all anymore.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

anime was right posted:

oh is that why they added that lovely recommended tab that takes away the video playback tools? or is the annotations thing only for regular youtube plebs?

The reasoning is that 50%+ Youtube views come from mobile, and annotations never worked on mobile. The new things they added are only for linking to other vids at the end of your video, not for doing what annotations did :(

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

anime was right posted:

i thought the additional video popups people used for cross-linking where handled by annotations (since disabling them disabled video cross-links) but i havent really used youtube as a creator much in the past 6 years.

and yeah, the fact that youtube is 50%+ mobile now is kinda crazy lol

Yeah people used annotations for cross-linking, but A LOT of people used it to clarify stuff where they mis-spoke, or like in this video where my mic cord popped out for a full minute. The new solution allows you to cross-link videos in a way that works on mobile, but there is no way to just put some text easily over the video to tell people "the sound isn't going to be cut out for the entire video lol"

edit: I guess I could tell people to enable closed captions, and then add annotations into the captions or something

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

lol it's such a pet peeve of mine when people who are really bad at fighting games have memorized tier lists and act like the tier lists matter AT ALL at their level of play. I'm not actually trying to call anyone out here, but in my local scene we have a dude who is easily the worst player in our scene talking about how he's gonna drop Raven because of the upcoming nerfs. He's always talking about how x or y matchup is 6-4, as if that has any bearing on his play.

Unless you're already among the top level, a better player with a "lovely" character in this game is going to consistently destroy you no matter how bad the matchup is for the characters involved.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

No matter what character this guy uses, he will be 1-9 against everyone regardless of the character he uses. He doesn't have an actual point, he's just parroting what he hears people say, and usually when it comes down to discussing tiers, nerfs, etc., most people bitching online with a lot of hyperbole are just parroting what top players say without experiencing anything first hand or knowing what they are talking about.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

please someone tell me how to fight sin, ky and johnny with jam besides running into their normals with jams BIG boobs over and over :negative:

If you are the Jam I was playing last night, here is some advice (not trying to sound like a dick!):

1. Your connection to me is really bad. I would argue that it's unplayably bad, and anytime you have that kind of connection to someone online, do not play them. It's only going to give you a false impression of what does and doesn't work for both players. It was almost impossible for me to reaction anti-air you, which made you think certain things that didn't work worked. It also would have been exceptionally difficult for you to block any of my high/low mixup, or to punish anything unsafe I did that had tight punish windows. Any mid-range footsie stuff was basically dead and totally off. I think a 4-frame delay is the most that is playable, ideally you are at 1-3 frame delay. If you see 5-6 ever happening with someone, it's WAY too high.

2. Your execution is pretty good and you converted into combos, but you had no neutral game. This may just be because the connection was so bad that you couldn't, but I'm guessing you also have no neutral game when there isn't bad lag. I don't know what Jam is supposed to do in neutral, but you were basically only ever jumping in, IADing in, doing her fullscreen dashy move into throw, or running straight in and hoping I just wouldn't hit you. My Jam knowledge is super limited, so you want to watch a match video and see what good Jam players are doing in neutral. Keep in mind that you may not always be able to convert from neutral into a mega combo. Sometimes you'll have to convert into a few hits into knockdown, and then from the mixup after the knockdown you may be able to go into mega combo.

3. You were almost never blocking. Sometimes you would block a few hits, but you pretty consistently were trying to hold up during my pressure, or mashing 2p or 2k really furiously the whole time. This is a really hard part of this game, because "just blocking" is usually not an answer to pressure. You DO have to find a time to press something, mash out when someone is dashing up to extend pressure, or do some kind of jump gambit. You probably want to practice blocking a bit more though and watching for specific times to smartly go for getting out. Saving your burst, smart FD timings, and dead angle will help a lot with this. This way you'll only be forced to take the big risky get out attempts when you are out of meter and burst. The problem with the way that you were playing was that I could basically just do a frame trap and it would counter hit you or hit your jump startup like 60-70% of the time, which was just way too easy to mix you up.

All of the stuff above is also why I was just doing jump back HS and air dash back HS a lot. Because you would often just blindly run, jump, or command dash into it, and because it was so laggy that I couldn't reaction anti-air well at all. One thing you could do against that (which you weren't doing) would be to use the opportunity to simply move forward when I move back, soft pressuring me toward the corner. I eventually will run out of space and won't be able to do that safely. If you are only doing full-screen gambits though and not taking any real use or advantage of spacing and neutral, then jump-back HS tends to beat you for free in neutral by just letting your own mistakes kill you.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

It's kind of weird but I think that as long as you USUALLY play offline and understand just how far from the "real thing" the lag is making things, it can be okay. If you are trying to learn the game from the ground up in 4-5 frame delay, it's way worse. There are so many instances where offline I'd say, "You HAVE TO 6p that," and where online I'd say, "Don't try to 6p that, just block and eat the free mixup and know that offline you could 6p that."

Certain overheads and stuff in 4-5 delay become incredibly overpowered as well, and people who only play online in lag will tend to insanely abuse them. By contrast, the higher the latency is the less I will use greed sever, simply because I don't want to gently caress up my offline play, which is all I really actually care about.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Crocoswine posted:

perhaps I understated how bad I am. Aside from the Ky players who just lock me into a corner and murder me, which happens if they're a good player regardless of the character they're playing, even mediocre ones can beat me by basically just spamming lightning at me. How do I approach if this is what's happening?

it doesn't help that the Ky players usually leave in disgust after beating me 1 or 2 times, as opposed to other players who are content to beat me into the ground until I learn how to react. :v:

edit: VVVV well poo poo I was hoping there was a better solution. Time to go get owned 100 times by Ky until I figure it out, I guess

I'm about to go to sleep but when I play against a good Faust as Ky, Faust's far S annoys the living poo poo out of me. It feels like it beats out everything I want to do. The exploding bag and divekick are also exceptionally annoying and near impossible to anti-air.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Watch FAB matches in mdesilvas YouTube channel

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I think the hitbox on that move isn't there really close in, meaning people can be inside the range of that move. You shouldn't be doing moves like pogo on wakeup, if Slayer had just done a meaty you would have got counterhit and died.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Make sure you practice in training mode what you will punish Greed Sever or Stun Dipper with on block. It's not good enough to just block it, you need to punish them also.

Neutral jumping at stun dipper range can be pretty good if online ky just does it randomly all the time. You can land and punish while he's whiffing.

Also, this is advice to everyone, but if you are on PSN with 4+ frames of lag, just don't play that person.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I play with both sound and music off, I like to only hear stick sounds

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I have a very specific Ky question that probably only a few people can answer.

Bebop taught me the OS with Ky where you do 669 j.K, then OS j.S or backdash after the j.K. I feel like I would IDEALLY want to actually do like, J.K + j.6HS (for throw OS) then j.S + backdash for the backdash OS. From there, if the j.k j.s actually hits, I ideally would want to do jc, J.S (second JS from the OSed one) j.HS xx DP.

My brain cannot currently handle doing so many OSes at once and also doing the combo if the string connects. The only thing I can really actually execute is going into j.k j.s j.HS xx DP, but sometimes the j.HS won't connect, and it makes the OS feel not worth it.

Before I invest a bunch of time drilling this and seeing if I can get it to work, is this the right train of thought here, or is there a better combo and OS I should be doing for this?

The dash up j.k was specifically suggested by bebop because I cannot 6p Sol's IAD stuff since he has no hitbox on his feet. I also am thinking this would be extremely useful against May players who jump around a lot.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

My best advice for playing this game:

1) Play offline if you can.

2) If you cannot, play online using Discord. I'm on PSN so I don't think the SA discord is very good because so few people are on it. Avoid the reddit discord. There is the regular Guilty Gear one that all the good people are on, join that one. You have to badger people to play, but it's worth it and preferable to sitting in a random lobby hoping you play people who aren't super garbage or 12 frame delay from Brazil.

3) If you HAVE TO play with random people online, do not join those rooms where there are 8 people lined up and crowding one cabinet, as you'll spend like 30 minutes spectating for each 3 minutes you actually play.

Rules for online:

-Wired connection only. If you can't get a wired connection, don't play online.

-On PSN, if you have 4 frames of input delay, feel it out. If it's spiking to 5 sometimes, just leave. If it's going down to 3 a lot, it's probably okay. Anything 5 or higher, do not play the person at all.

-Not sure on PC, but I think on PC you can get away with much higher input delay and be okay.

If you play from the ground up in lagfests against bad players, you will be a laggy and bad online player. This game is built on very tight reaction timings, so things like anti-airing an IAD jump-in are designed to be barely reactable a lot of the time when playing offline. The game is NEVER designed with online play in mind. This means that if you are regularly playing in high input lag, you will not be able to block overheads that you should be able to block. It also means you're going to develop bad habits of doing lovely mixup that isn't real at all and think it works, when it doesn't work at all.

It's really easy, as a new player, to tell yourself that 5-6 frame delay is okay and you can deal with it. It's really not though. As soon as lag passes a certain threshold it's totally unplayable, so just bow out of those matches before you get frustrated or develop bad habits. If I see 6-7 frame delay, I will actually just hit start and quit the match immediately. If it's like 5 frame delay I'll politely play one match and then leave.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

brainSnakes posted:

I have a quick question for you all in regards to Guilty Gear. I'm just getting back into fighting games with the advent of plugging controllers into Steam, and I've never played an airdasher styled one in my life, unless mvc2 counts. I've decided I really want to try Guilty Gear out, and i'm gonna buy this new version of Xrd whenever it decides to release on Steam. I'm on a tight enough budget that I can't just throw a bunch of money at the current Xrd for practice in the meantime, unfortunately.

...But I do own Guilty Gear X2 Reload! I think I bought it on crazy cheap sale purely for the soundtrack at some point. So my question is, how worth my time would it be to use this as practice in the series? Normally I wouldn't even bother asking, i'd just fire that poo poo up and try it out for myself. But I tried that and the games controls terrified me in a way I don't think has happened since trying to play Daggerfall again for nostalgia's sake. Start isn't pressing start, it's pressing the right analogue stick? And the right shoulder button is some kind of taunt? And no in game configuration changes I make stick, but the pre-game-loading configuration menu only has options for keyboards and joysticks and not controllers? :goshawk:

For the record, i'm not complaining. This game seems really cool, but now i'm left wondering if it's so old the systems are gonna be different than what I should expect in Xrd, and whether i'd really gain much by floundering around in it. Still all kinds of interested in Guilty Gear right now, though.

Floundering around by yourself in training mode will be of minimal use imo. You can practice instant air dashes, gatling combos, jump cancels, etc., those all feel pretty similar from X2 --> Xrd. Even practicing combos in training mode might give you a "feel" for how Xrd combos work.

You won't really get very good or anything at all though without playing real people.

FRCs were removed in Xrd, and all roman cancels in XRD now slow the game down (like bullet time) making stuff a lot easier. In X2 there are a lot of 1 or 2-frame FRC timings, and the FRC doesn't slow anything down so you have to quickly combo out of it. In Xrd you get the longest time in the world to combo off of any RC stuff within a combo.

I'd say that combos in general were quite a bit harder in the GGXX games

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

edit: nm i'm wrong

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

There were a lot of combos in XX where you basically had to do button, 6, FRC ,6 in order to do like "hit, FRC, dash immediately" and it was way harder than any RC combo in Xrd

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I have the same issues, but it's way worse with certain people than with others. Very weird...

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Do you have to keep doing it or can you just do it once?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Someone mentioned it a few pages back, but you basically just have to use the Discord.

My biggest recommendation is to learn the normals really well so that you have a "trained eye" and can just watch match videos to see what combos people are using. That is what most people tend to do to learn characters rather than looking at written down stuff. It can be annoying when you are really new, but that's the main reason there is a lack of good documentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Kizzercrate is basically autistic for Ky, but these workshops he's been doing recently cover a lot of general GG skill stuff and are not just helpful for the specific characters. This stuff is likely more high-level and assumes you have a generally good grasp of overall 2d FG mechanics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs8HH2fqpzo&t=1137s

• Locked thread