Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey, you! Yes, you! Do you only care about football, and are willing to watch any football whatsoever? Well, good news, as the tradition of Tuesdays and Wednesdays being filled with football from the Mid-American Conference (and, to a lesser extent, the Sun Belt Conference) begins tonight. Since the football takes place before the more important games that begin on Thursday, these games did not receive their own GDT for the first few years of TFF. Now, thought, we can all watch and comment on Eastern Michigan's march to a bowl game, which they haven't gone to since before I was born!

Required reading on the history of MACtion

Since ESPN (and now CBS!) schedule these games out way in advance, the exact networks that broadcast the games come November are not known yet, and I doubt I will remember to update this OP when they are announced, so check your listings after Halloween.

All times Eastern.

October 5
Georgia Southern @ Arkansas State - 8PM (ESPN2)

October 12
Appalachian State @ Louisiana - 8PM (ESPN2)

November 1
Western Michigan @ Ball State - 8PM (ESPN2)
Bowling Green State @ Northern Illinois - 8PM (ESPNU)

November 2
Toledo @ Akron - 7:30PM (ESPN2)

November 8
Eastern Michigan @ Ball State - 7:30PM (CBS Sports Network)
Western Michigan @ Kent State - 7:30PM (ESPN2)

November 9
Toledo @ Northern Illinois - 8PM (ESPN2)
Bowling Green State @ Akron - 8PM (ESPNU)

November 15
Ohio @ Central Michigan - 7PM (ESPN2)
Kent State @ Bowling Green State - 7PM (ESPNU)

November 16
Northern Illinois @ Eastern Michigan - 7PM (ESPN2/ESPNU)
Ball State @ Toledo - 7PM (ESPN2/ESPNU)

November 22
Akron @ Ohio - 7PM (ESPNU/ESPN3)
Ball State @ Miami (OH) - 7PM (ESPNU/ESPN3)
Central Michigan @ Eastern Michigan - 7PM (ESPNU/ESPN3)

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CaptainYesterday posted:

Hey, you! Yes, you! Do you only care about football, and are willing to watch any football whatsoever?

My name is Thoguh and I have a college football problem. I spend hundreds of dollars each fall on college football and allow it go get in the way of social obligations. Sometimes I show up to work tired because I stayed up watching college football in the middle of the week.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Today's Fun Belt action is pretty good so far. Though it has far to much defense for a midweek game.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Receiver did a good job getting his foot down there to tie it up for Arkansas State.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Nice 4-yard route on 4th and 6, idiots

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

A GREATER MAN THAN I DESERVE
lmao Roddy White level push off.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

That was a fun 20 seconds of Fun Belt football I got to see while flipping through the TV.

I like that ESPN is now officially touting the Fun Belt as a nickname and hashtag.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yall are going to have a whole lot of me posting to myself this year, except this year it will be a lot angrier because bowling green is very bad

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

yall are going to have a whole lot of me posting to myself this year, except this year it will be a lot angrier because bowling green is very bad

;_; Bowling Green.

What's everyone's feeling there? Do they acknowledge that the roster is crap and Jinks is doing a full rebuilding job, or are they blaming the new staff for the team's failings?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

;_; Bowling Green.

What's everyone's feeling there? Do they acknowledge that the roster is crap and Jinks is doing a full rebuilding job, or are they blaming the new staff for the team's failings?

It's a combination of roughly 3 things:

1: Not only are Mike Jinks and the boys a totally new staff, Mike's only 2 years removed from high school, and pretty much everyone else was a GA or Quality Control guy beforehand, so they're all still catching up to the speed of coaching the college game. They're largely trying to keep the same up-tempo offense going though, no major system changes. Still, that's not easy to do.

2: Between our QB, 2 top receivers, and top RB all either graduating, declaring for the draft, or grad transferring to Bama, that represented literally 72% of last year's offense. That's all but impossible to completely replace in one year, even if we didn't have coaching turnover.

3: It's become very clear that Dino Babers really didn't recruit much at all. His 2 years of wrecking poo poo were largely with Dave Clawson's recruits.

Basically the blame hasn't really been laid at Jinks' feet, which is good. He actually managed to pull some pretty solid recruits out of Texas on short notice, and when the very first game of your head coaching career is against a stupidly powerful Ohio State, it's clearly going to be a long year. What's tough for Jinks is we knew this was something of a roll of the dice to hire a guy with no coordination or college HC experience, and the Athletic Director that hired him left the school just a few months later.

Ultimately I think Jinks will work out, but it's tough to watch a team go from conference champion to brutal rebuild so quickly. Bad as it was to lose to Eastern (a vastly improved Eastern, to be fair), things seem to be stabilizing on the team. We started a freshman kid out of Green Bay at QB and he seems to sling it around pretty well. Defense is still a mess. Special teams.... hoo boy. We can't kick for poo poo, but Davidson is probably going to be an NFL punter at this rate. Kid is spectacular. That height and weight is not an exaggeration, he's enormous.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 6, 2016

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

It's a combination of roughly 3 things:

1: Not only are Mike Jinks and the boys a totally new staff, Mike's only 2 years removed from high school, and pretty much everyone else was a GA or Quality Control guy beforehand, so they're all still catching up to the speed of coaching the college game. They're largely trying to keep the same up-tempo offense going though, no major system changes. Still, that's not easy to do.

2: Between our QB, 2 top receivers, and top RB all either graduating, declaring for the draft, or grad transferring to Bama, that represented literally 72% of last year's offense. That's all but impossible to completely replace in one year, even if we didn't have coaching turnover.

3: It's become very clear that Dino Babers really didn't recruit much at all. His 2 years of wrecking poo poo were largely with Dave Clawson's recruits.

Basically the blame hasn't really been laid at Jinks' feet, which is good. He actually managed to pull some pretty solid recruits out of Texas on short notice, and when the very first game of your head coaching career is against a stupidly powerful Ohio State, it's clearly going to be a long year. What's tough for Jinks is we knew this was something of a roll of the dice to hire a guy with no coordination or college HC experience, and the Athletic Director that hired him left the school just a few months later.

Ultimately I think Jinks will work out, but it's tough to watch a team go from conference champion to brutal rebuild so quickly. Bad as it was to lose to Eastern (a vastly improved Eastern, to be fair), things seem to be stabilizing on the team. We started a freshman kid out of Green Bay at QB and he seems to sling it around pretty well. Defense is still a mess. Special teams.... hoo boy. We can't kick for poo poo, but Davidson is probably going to be an NFL punter at this rate. Kid is spectacular. That height and weight is not an exaggeration, he's enormous.

That all sounds about right. And it's a huge risk to cheap out and hire such a young staff, but all indications from the Tech side were that Jinks is going to be a big program head coach some day and I'd hope that he gives BG a good 5 years after rebuilding to move up and on.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I think Jinks will turn out just fine. He's still getting up to speed but seems to have a good mind for the game, and at the time of his hire, all indications were that BG found a diamond in the rough with him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
La Tech and WKU is gonna own please watch it and root for the over with me

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You should always bet the over on MACtion/FunBelt

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Are there any Driskels left to watch?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
With 2 minutes left in the first quarter the LA Tech QB is 7-8 with 3 TD and WKU has one kick returned for a TD and another taken back 80+ yards

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No one in the Big Ten hire Jeff Brohm please, thanks

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Two more TDs. LA tech playing against WKU's defense is extremely fun y'all are missing out

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hilltoppers kicked a field goal instead of going for it on 4th down for the third time in one drive, they're dead to me, go La Tech

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
100 points total. This is like Cal/Texas.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Hey clock operator, pay attention damnit!

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Come on overtime!

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

What a stupid ending...

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

pillsburysoldier posted:

Are there any Driskels left to watch?

FAU has a driskel.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
App State and UL tonight!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CaptainYesterday posted:

App State and UL tonight!

Oh, ULL... I got excited for a second.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It is thursday and there is no college football on. This is bullshit.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Who's ready for MACtion? It begins in earnest tonight!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

we are going to lose by at least 3 touchdowns tonight and I will be sad

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

we are going to lose by at least 3 touchdowns tonight and I will be sad

This is me on Thursday except 5 touchdowns.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

This is me on Thursday except 5 touchdowns.

:(:respek::(

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Pick Six denied?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Pick six confirmed.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Ball State's plan of tiring out the WMU defense by making them go through two drives in a row working like a charm.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dammit you fuckers are goign to give me hope arent you

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Ball State probably shouldn't pass again tonight.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Is that Ball State logo new?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

at least our punter is good :sigh:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Chirp Chirp > Row the boat

gently caress WMU