Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yall are going to have a whole lot of me posting to myself this year, except this year it will be a lot angrier because bowling green is very bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

;_; Bowling Green.

What's everyone's feeling there? Do they acknowledge that the roster is crap and Jinks is doing a full rebuilding job, or are they blaming the new staff for the team's failings?

It's a combination of roughly 3 things:

1: Not only are Mike Jinks and the boys a totally new staff, Mike's only 2 years removed from high school, and pretty much everyone else was a GA or Quality Control guy beforehand, so they're all still catching up to the speed of coaching the college game. They're largely trying to keep the same up-tempo offense going though, no major system changes. Still, that's not easy to do.

2: Between our QB, 2 top receivers, and top RB all either graduating, declaring for the draft, or grad transferring to Bama, that represented literally 72% of last year's offense. That's all but impossible to completely replace in one year, even if we didn't have coaching turnover.

3: It's become very clear that Dino Babers really didn't recruit much at all. His 2 years of wrecking poo poo were largely with Dave Clawson's recruits.

Basically the blame hasn't really been laid at Jinks' feet, which is good. He actually managed to pull some pretty solid recruits out of Texas on short notice, and when the very first game of your head coaching career is against a stupidly powerful Ohio State, it's clearly going to be a long year. What's tough for Jinks is we knew this was something of a roll of the dice to hire a guy with no coordination or college HC experience, and the Athletic Director that hired him left the school just a few months later.

Ultimately I think Jinks will work out, but it's tough to watch a team go from conference champion to brutal rebuild so quickly. Bad as it was to lose to Eastern (a vastly improved Eastern, to be fair), things seem to be stabilizing on the team. We started a freshman kid out of Green Bay at QB and he seems to sling it around pretty well. Defense is still a mess. Special teams.... hoo boy. We can't kick for poo poo, but Davidson is probably going to be an NFL punter at this rate. Kid is spectacular. That height and weight is not an exaggeration, he's enormous.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 6, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I think Jinks will turn out just fine. He's still getting up to speed but seems to have a good mind for the game, and at the time of his hire, all indications were that BG found a diamond in the rough with him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You should always bet the over on MACtion/FunBelt

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

we are going to lose by at least 3 touchdowns tonight and I will be sad

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

This is me on Thursday except 5 touchdowns.

:(:respek::(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dammit you fuckers are goign to give me hope arent you

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

at least our punter is good :sigh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i remember when we had recruits

pepperidge farm remembers

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

we are going to lose by at least 3 touchdowns tonight and I will be sad

it wasn't 3! :confuoot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Western's problem (which, to be fair, isn't really their fault) is literally nothing matters for them until the last game of the year, and likely nobody's going to watch that because it's on Black Friday. Their only opponent that doesn't completely blow rear end was Northwestern, and the MAC has been trash this year outside of Western and Toledo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DrunkPanda posted:

Since when do people not watch Black Friday games? Isn't that when all of the major rivalry games are on?

edit: ooooo, now I see what you're saying. never mind :shobon:

hahaha there ya go :cheers:

I love the MAC but the black friday games are just a mess and the problem is that's the only chance on that weekend they're going to get TV of any kind. Plus nobody's on campus (and the weather is likely going to suck) so even for a game like UT/WMU, odds are the crowd is going to be pretty sparse.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WE'RE NOT LOSING :siren:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh god could we actually beat an FBS school this year?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:woop:WE DIDN'T LOSE

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Me and my man Dogg in sad maction tonight woooooo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

3 straight 3-and-outs woooooo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wow that was a terrible throw.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Behold 3-and-out fest

This is a thrill

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:siren: AN ACTUAL FIRST DOWN:siren:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A SECOND FIRST DOWN HAS HIT DOYT PERRY STADIUM

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh poo poo we might actually score yall

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You will fear our 120th ranked red zone offense

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:siren: WE DIDN'T FAIL TO SCORE :siren:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lol of course we give up like 30 yards on a 3rd and 9

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Since when did BG get not awful at running

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So I guess we're all R U N T H E D A N G B A L L now

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao this loving team

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ahahahaha how did he hold onto that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yes I'm posting to myself, no I don't care

Holy lord I feel for Kent's D. They'd be a really solid team with even an average offense

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

YEAH COPPETT

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

I'm into it.

:hfive:

THAT PASS :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lol HARAMBE DIDN'T BLOW A 3-1 LEAD sign in the crowd