Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

yall are going to have a whole lot of me posting to myself this year, except this year it will be a lot angrier because bowling green is very bad

;_; Bowling Green.

What's everyone's feeling there? Do they acknowledge that the roster is crap and Jinks is doing a full rebuilding job, or are they blaming the new staff for the team's failings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

It's a combination of roughly 3 things:

1: Not only are Mike Jinks and the boys a totally new staff, Mike's only 2 years removed from high school, and pretty much everyone else was a GA or Quality Control guy beforehand, so they're all still catching up to the speed of coaching the college game. They're largely trying to keep the same up-tempo offense going though, no major system changes. Still, that's not easy to do.

2: Between our QB, 2 top receivers, and top RB all either graduating, declaring for the draft, or grad transferring to Bama, that represented literally 72% of last year's offense. That's all but impossible to completely replace in one year, even if we didn't have coaching turnover.

3: It's become very clear that Dino Babers really didn't recruit much at all. His 2 years of wrecking poo poo were largely with Dave Clawson's recruits.

Basically the blame hasn't really been laid at Jinks' feet, which is good. He actually managed to pull some pretty solid recruits out of Texas on short notice, and when the very first game of your head coaching career is against a stupidly powerful Ohio State, it's clearly going to be a long year. What's tough for Jinks is we knew this was something of a roll of the dice to hire a guy with no coordination or college HC experience, and the Athletic Director that hired him left the school just a few months later.

Ultimately I think Jinks will work out, but it's tough to watch a team go from conference champion to brutal rebuild so quickly. Bad as it was to lose to Eastern (a vastly improved Eastern, to be fair), things seem to be stabilizing on the team. We started a freshman kid out of Green Bay at QB and he seems to sling it around pretty well. Defense is still a mess. Special teams.... hoo boy. We can't kick for poo poo, but Davidson is probably going to be an NFL punter at this rate. Kid is spectacular. That height and weight is not an exaggeration, he's enormous.

That all sounds about right. And it's a huge risk to cheap out and hire such a young staff, but all indications from the Tech side were that Jinks is going to be a big program head coach some day and I'd hope that he gives BG a good 5 years after rebuilding to move up and on.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Toledo and Akron are in a surprisingly tight game, 13-10 Toledo just before half.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Yikes, Akron got jobbed on that game clinching pick. Ah well, they were down 2 scores anyway. Refs just wanted to get out of there.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

Yes I'm posting to myself, no I don't care

I'm into it.

• Locked thread