Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.
I've been making dockers all week and I guess it's cool but also it's not that cool.

What do you guys think? Do you like dockers? What's the best docker you ever made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
docker is cool for getting development instances of postgres or cassandra or w/e other database you are using running quickly

actually developing in a docker seems like it would be a giant butt pain but idk i am stupid so that might not be the case

also seems kinda pointless for deployment unless you are doing something bugnuts and/or need to mesosphere your kubernetes cluster swarm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dock this

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

Arcsech posted:

docker is cool for getting development instances of postgres or cassandra or w/e other database you are using running quickly

actually developing in a docker seems like it would be a giant butt pain but idk i am stupid so that might not be the case

also seems kinda pointless for deployment unless you are doing something bugnuts and/or need to mesosphere your kubernetes cluster swarm

These are good points. I especially like the point you made about you being stupid.

I have not worked with docker in my development environment yet, but I'm making another guy do that. He's having a hard time but I think it's because he's stupid and not because I'm stupid.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Arcsech posted:

docker is cool for development because everyone can have instant database/memcache/whatever without installing anything locally.

developing in docker is easy because your development image just has whatever runtime you use and you mount the executable as a volume. works great for java/C projects. if you're using a trash language like node or ruby and your container has all sorts of poo poo-gently caress dependencies you're a moron and you should just give up.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
all our repos now have a docker-compose so anyone (even management) can pull the code and run "docker-compose up" and demo poo poo to people without knowing what a container even is.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
a lot of cjs wear dockers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i built a coreos / docker cluster to deploy a telnet bbs. it was fun and i learned a lot.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.
Right now we're using chef to do a lot of things that i'm going to replace with docker.

I hate chef and I like docker more so I'm excited about that.

I'm a node developer though not really a sys admin so I'm probably doing lots of things wrong

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes everything in that post indicates that you are hurtling headlong down a mountain path saying "I should dump this shopping cart and pick up a longboard"

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
docking parties are fun I hear

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahah yes it's time for docking jokes, the comedy juggernauts are here. Yass

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
docker is bad, just use freebsd jails, op

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
docker is kinda nice and also kinda annoying

sometimes if you just want to run one thing but end up setting up like 5 docker containers to get it going and then another proxy to slap https on it its kinda like 'wtf, i could have just done this in 2 minutes if it wasn't for docker'. idk, maybe im bad with computers

well thats my docker story hope you liked it

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
the docker command line aggravates me with its needless inconsistency

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

docker? i hardly know her!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
it's "docker container? I hardly know her!" you fool of a fool

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

Jonny 290 posted:

yes everything in that post indicates that you are hurtling headlong down a mountain path saying "I should dump this shopping cart and pick up a longboard"

Luckily nothing I work on matters

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
what is the docker

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

med school head posted:

what is the docker

Garbage and hipster poo poo so just like node.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

med school head posted:

what is the docker

it's a cloud thing. you wouldn't understand

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

as a sysadmin i dont see much benefit to docker
is this the correct behavior to have?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I always assumed docker was a macos app chooser thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Raere posted:

as a sysadmin i dont see much benefit to docker
is this the correct behavior to have?

I don't think a good sysadmin would say something like that, no.
Its not a panacea but it is super good for some things, wildly inappropriate for others

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

docker! huh! good gawd yall! what is it good for? absolutely nuthin! say it again

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't think a good sysadmin would say something like that, no.
Its not a panacea but it is super good for some things, wildly inappropriate for others

sounds a lot like my dills

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

apparently is a bit of a deal that our product at work is designed to work in a docker container

i'll have to play with it sometime

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like its a tiny VM that uses the host kernel and has 0 holes punched in it for network or file access on boot. you explicitly say "hey port 8000 is ok and actually forward to the internal port 80" and "/var/log/buttmunch is actually a mount of /home/vms/d8251-aabe-1123/var/log/buttmunch" and it works like a chroot jail almost.

also you can set dependencies and orders so if you have a system that's three dbs, five number crunching hadoops and two webservers and they need to come up in that order, no problem

and there's a repo system so you can do docker pull rstallman/emacs-3.2 and get the whole vm and all its dependencies and such

ok thats my probably wrong interpretation of docker have a great day

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
iocage on freebsd can do literally all of this already

pre:
PROPERTIES

priority=99 | 50 ..

Start priority at boot time, smaller value means higher priority.
           Also, for shutdown the order will be reversed.

Default: 99.
http://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
basically everything docker can do can be done on freebsd way more easily and without the putrid stench of devops thought leaders all over it

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
we had jails before jails were cool

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

everything I know about containers I learned from Julia evans' blog

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

everything I know about containers I learned from Julia evans' blog

i wish they would build a container for your posts

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

abraham linkedin posted:

basically everything docker can do can be done on freebsd way more easily and without the putrid stench of devops thought leaders all over it

except nobody loving cares about freebsd so it is dismissed out of hand. sorry. its just the market

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
*bbbbbbbut plan9 has had this since 1985* then why isnt there a plan9 conf instead of a docker conf, oh thats right, because your bullshit niche os not only sucks, but is Dying (as Netcraft has confirmed)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

abraham linkedin posted:

i wish they would build a container for your posts

they did
yer in it

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

except nobody loving cares about freebsd so it is dismissed out of hand. sorry. its just the market

netflix uses freebsd extensively and has pushed a lot of really useful changes upstream

are you saying netflix is nobody

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
also lol the only reason anyone gives a poo poo about docker is because it has a fancy website and uses words that make millenial computer touchers cream in their skinny jeans

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
M I C R O S E R V I C E S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

please do not drag skinny jeans into this

• Locked thread