Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

javascript and go are alike in that they both suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

we're active contributors to the dashboard, I can talk to some people and see where that's roadmapped at if it isn't out there already

I decide to skim through the kubernetes GitHub; some comments on multizone HA but looks like the focus at the moment is making it not so lovely to set up HA in the first place.

will be interesting as more ubernetes related stuff lands in HEAD.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

the talent deficit posted:

it takes like five minutes to setup efs with ecs

(efs and ecs are bad tho, you should prob consider kubernetes and just not having stateful containers)

efs is loving epic you dumb shithead

pram
Jun 10, 2001
30 cents per GB for a multi-az replicated netapp is 'bad' lol stfu

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i like it a lot, though my bbs app doesnt like it because it's :vomit: sqlite3 :vomit: and that stuff shits the bed hard over nfs anything

i wonder if i can just port the bbs to use an aws product for the DB, that would be a good experiment. what would i be looking at, dynamo probably? im not so good with databases.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
RDS mysql

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

Welcome

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i like it a lot, though my bbs app doesnt like it because it's :vomit: sqlite3 :vomit: and that stuff shits the bed hard over nfs anything

i wonder if i can just port the bbs to use an aws product for the DB, that would be a good experiment. what would i be looking at, dynamo probably? im not so good with databases.

If it's sqlite can you not use RDS ? Has mysql and postgres options

pram posted:

Hey pram is back

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
has anyone said "Docker? I barely knew 'er!" yet?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

dynamo is cool if you don't need transactions

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

so i've never used docker. i gather that the idea is that you don't have to install a particular version of a language / database / whatever on your local machine, and you can run your programs against a known and standard environment. and for databases and stuff like that, you would include a set of standard data either in the docker container or outside it that loads each time you start it up. then you write your code outside and run it in the docker environment. is this close?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

javascript and go are alike in that they both suck

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Somebody post prams old av

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

The Leck posted:

so i've never used docker. i gather that the idea is that you don't have to install a particular version of a language / database / whatever on your local machine, and you can run your programs against a known and standard environment. and for databases and stuff like that, you would include a set of standard data either in the docker container or outside it that loads each time you start it up. then you write your code outside and run it in the docker environment. is this close?

basically yeah

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

pram posted:

30 cents per GB for a multi-az replicated netapp is 'bad' lol stfu

the iops are really bad and when you get throttled you'll be paying 10x s3 prices for s3 performance. it's ok if you need a durable store for infrequently updated/accessed data but it's not great if you're trying to use it instead of hdfs or similar

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
actually go is pretty great

pram
Jun 10, 2001

the iops are really bad and when you get throttled you'll be paying 10x s3 prices for s3 performance. it's ok if you need a durable store for infrequently updated/accessed data but it's not great if you're trying to use it instead of hdfs or similar

no youre retarded but let me clarify what this guy is saying for the uninitiated. instead of paying $150 for 500gb storage in a managed replicated share i should use hdfs instead. because 'iops are really bad' so i should of course use an instance (the cheapest) with 10g networking and st1 ebs drives. and i need 3 for resiliency in three different vpc subnets. thats only like $4120 a month, cheaper if i commit to paying almost $40k for a year

youre a great consultant. should i buy hortonworks support too. go gently caress yourself buddy!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

actually go is pretty great

but learn you some erlang and *random obscure ml derivative*

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

:pram:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
heh, actually, ECS is 'fine' if you need plebian performance for garbage apps. but its going to be bad. and also docker containers are too heavy. and it and kubernetes arent written in a good language. IMO the optimal deployment these days is a hand-rolled mesos framework across your 40g infiniband networked cluster nodes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

jre posted:

Hey pram is back

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

heh, actually, ECS is 'fine' if you need plebian performance for garbage apps. but its going to be bad. and also docker containers are too heavy. and it and kubernetes arent written in a good language. IMO the optimal deployment these days is a hand-rolled mesos framework across your 40g infiniband networked cluster nodes

this is how i roll

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

go is a fine language

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

uncurable mlady posted:

go is a fine language

For clowns at the devops circus

Actually it's ok

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

pram posted:

no youre retarded but let me clarify what this guy is saying for the uninitiated. instead of paying $150 for 500gb storage in a managed replicated share i should use hdfs instead. because 'iops are really bad' so i should of course use an instance (the cheapest) with 10g networking and st1 ebs drives. and i need 3 for resiliency in three different vpc subnets. thats only like $4120 a month, cheaper if i commit to paying almost $40k for a year

youre a great consultant. should i buy hortonworks support too. go gently caress yourself buddy!

or you could pay $15 a month for s3 and get basically equivalent performance to efs

pram
Jun 10, 2001

or you could pay $15 a month for s3 and get basically equivalent performance to efs

no

pram
Jun 10, 2001
even if you used a fuse s3 mount it wouldnt even be close to similar performance. the hdfs s3/s3a connector is slow as poo poo too. you literally dont know what youre talking about

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

* s3 is eventually consistent after updates
* you can never modify part of or append to a file; all modifications are rewrites
* listing directories can be really awful, because directories don't actually exist

not all file systems are created equal

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and even if you were using hdfs w/ s3 youd still need to pay for a namenode server which makes it far more expensive than $15

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
unironic chat: this thread is cool and good

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what is mesos?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the website is the usual incomprehensible apache word salad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
build a docker machine that does a little job, maybe processes some batch items
then you have mesos jobs that control multiple instances of those
go into the mesos interface, change instances from 4 to 8 and it spins four up and they start eating work
change it for 8 to 4 and four of them shut down
You need a bit of state and tracking to keep your data straight, make sure you don't leave stuff hanging, but it's a neat frontend

pram
Jun 10, 2001
mesos is a distributed scheduler. really you'd likely be using marathon, which is a mesos framework for running docker containers

dc/os is a mesos distribution that has the promise of being an 'app store' for distributed deployments of cassandra/kafka/spark etc. thats what 'mesophere' makes. in general its all neat but managing container config through environment variables feels like an anti-pattern and no sir i dont like it

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Smythe posted:

Somebody post prams old av

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

pram posted:

mesos is a distributed scheduler. really you'd likely be using marathon, which is a mesos framework for running docker containers

dc/os is a mesos distribution that has the promise of being an 'app store' for distributed deployments of cassandra/kafka/spark etc. thats what 'mesophere' makes. in general its all neat but managing container config through environment variables feels like an anti-pattern and no sir i dont like it

I would disagree with calling mesos a scheduler; it's really more of a resource broker. frameworks request resources from mesos and it provides offers back. if an offer is accepted, then mesos will start the frameworks bit of code (executor) on that resource slice. this is what makes mesos so much more flexible compared to container orchestrators.

my favorite bit about mesos architecturally is that all state in the masters is derived from the slaves; this makes it much simpler to setup compared to systems that store state in a centralized data stores. the downside of this, though, is that you can only have a single active master.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

fwiw there seems to be more people using mesos (really, marathon like you said) in 'production' but i wonder how much of that is simply because it was more mature than k8s at the time. lot of big money going into k8s ecosystem stuff now though, so i think the gap is gonna close soon. kubeadm in 1.4 really helps streamline the init process for a cluster as well so you've got options at the commercial and OSS level

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i like to say mesos is the more general YARN

though i kind of like running spark on yarn more than mesos but that's probably mostly due to the fact im using cloudera on most of my clusters already so it's one less piece of software to janitor

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
docker is ok
docker-compose up is great

But it seems like fixing docker-swarm/kubernites/storm/etc errors is really bad and our prod system goes down all the time and no one can fix them because can't find master or partition error or smth

is this the true computer janitoring world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MeruFM posted:

docker is ok
docker-compose up is great

But it seems like fixing docker-swarm/kubernites/storm/etc errors is really bad and our prod system goes down all the time and no one can fix them because can't find master or partition error or smth

is this the true computer janitoring world?

Busywork expands to fill a vacuum. They weren't just going to let us start programagically deploying stuff and kick back.

• Locked thread