Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to change the political landscape, about the worst way to do it is by voting in a FPTP election.

If you want to change the political landscape, you should do everything outside of the election to change people's minds to support different policies, and then vote for the best viable candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

twodot posted:

The "best viable candidate" analysis doesn't make any sense in locations where there is exactly one viable candidate.
edit:

Best and only, occasionally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

twodot posted:

I think you misunderstood, if I live in Texas, I'm definitely not voting for Trump despite the fact that Trump is the only person who could possibly win Texas.

Oh sorry I mean viable as in affiliated with a viable poltiical entity.

Not necessarily individually viable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

twodot posted:

What's the point of voting for someone affiliated with a viable political entity who has no hopes of winning the race you are voting in? (edit: Other than obviously that you believe they are the best candidate regardless of affiliation with a viable political entity)

It's not like you have anything better to do with your time.

• Locked thread