Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No more hoverboard :(

That thing was awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Agreed. I thought the episode was nice for its character work, and we still got some neat visuals with Papika's house thing even though it was mostly (I think) in the real world (?).

What was up with the end of this episode, though? So far we've always seen them enter PI through extant holes. This time we get ... uh ... a hole in the sky?

Well, we know that they need to feel the same way to cross over into PI, at least, and they were both feeling affectionate at the time, and an eclipse looks sort of like a hole in the sky. As long as they're in sync and see something they might perceive as a hole, that's probably more important to the process than the precise nature of the 'hole'.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 27, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah i don't think portals have to be in any particular place, i mean, the bad guys have figured out how to make them on demand apparently with the grenade thingy

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

site posted:

No more hoverboard :(

That thing was awesome

Why not? They may find it again in PI.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

nielsm posted:

Why not? They may find it again in PI.

I hope so!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

site posted:

Yeah i don't think portals have to be in any particular place, i mean, the bad guys have figured out how to make them on demand apparently with the grenade thingy

This is fair

I think my main reason for wondering is ... an eclipse usually has a lot of symbolic importance in fiction, also the non-literal thing, but yeah I'm probably just overthinking it and confused over nothin'.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A Tin Of Beans posted:

This is fair

I think my main reason for wondering is ... an eclipse usually has a lot of symbolic importance in fiction, also the non-literal thing, but yeah I'm probably just overthinking it and confused over nothin'.

If the eclipse does turn out to be different from any other hole they've been using, I'd expect that it'll just be a matter of it being a hole that Papika and Cocona actually opened themselves through the strength of their feelings for each other or something like that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Something that's occurred to me - anyone have any guesses at what's up with the painter girl? The show's clearly setting her up for something, but I've no idea what. I don't see her in the OP...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I just assume she's a normie secondary to give cocona some character development as the show progresses

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't see her in the OP...

I thought I did, but my brain may have lied to me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Something that's occurred to me - anyone have any guesses at what's up with the painter girl? The show's clearly setting her up for something, but I've no idea what. I don't see her in the OP...

She's the girl the brain robot turns to look at, you can see her apron before he turns and then again reflected in his lens.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

lets hang out posted:

She's the girl the brain robot turns to look at, you can see her apron before he turns and then again reflected in his lens.

Hm...interesting. Sleeper agent for FF, maybe?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

do not eat flipflap

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hm...interesting. Sleeper agent for FF, maybe?

Or someone who gets somewhat involved in things. The robot does follow them to school after all.

Love Yayaka outright stating her group's goal (which probably means there's more to it.)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rewatching now that I'm home with a good monitor. Misc thoughts

-Cocona's granny still creeps me out a bit.

-Mildly interesting that Papika already knows about the concept of a sleepover, considering her otherwise vague grasp of human society.

-Yayaka asking P&C to join her was interesting - kind of pokes a hole in all that talk about her being an agent of conformity we were speculating about earlier, doesn't it?

-The huge plants and loving ostritch hanging around make me a little uncertain whether or not Papika's 'house' was in PI or not.

-"This stuff is edible, right?" "I'm eating it!" Sound logic.

-...where the hell did they get the shower water?

-Cocona clearly not entirely comfortable in bed with Papika, Papika looking a little hurt when she leaves.

-Nice subtle bit - when they've arrived at the beach and Papika is trying to get Cocona to come fish with her, Cocona looks down at her skirt and ever so slightly adjusts it with her finger, clearly toying with the idea of hiking it up and joining Papika in the water.

-Interesting how the camera keeps focusing on Cocona's dirty hands.

-Papika is noticeably not dirty despite trundling along through the same forest as Cocona.

-Shocking twist, Cocona's parents are DEAAAAAAD. Doubtless they were some how involved in PI and at least one of the two organizations.

-Cocona sleeping much better on night 2.

-This raft plan is only slightly less poorly conceived than the one in Kingdom Hearts.

-I alluded to this earlier, but the way FF talk about the Pure Illusion opening up makes me think that P&C can just naturally open the door whenever they get in sync enough.

- Ah, young love. :3:

-Yuri bait aside, that's still just a really great moment. It's clearly just such an important, self-actualizing sort of moment for Cocona, and the way the music and the shots are put together really conveys a strong sense of euphoria.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

i dunno about japanese architecturing to know if this is coincidence or not. but nice synchro episode

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

i dunno about japanese architecturing to know if this is coincidence or not. but nice synchro episode

Is that Eva on the bottom? Or did I completely miss that shot in the episode?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
nerv hq is mostly comprised of those tiled walls, yea

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It really feels like Flip Flap's HQ is crammed into an abandoned tunnel or something. The whole place has this claustrophobic, shut in feel from what we've seen. "Intimate" if you will.

In contrast to the big open area of Yayaka's place I suppose.

The odd thing about Yayaka's question is that she didn't seem to care THAT much about the answer and she was surprisingly open about telling them things. Really does make me question if "world domination" should be taken at face value.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Just finished episode 1, the last time I felt this puzzled by a first episode was probably Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita/Humanity Has Declined. Honestly that's a good sign to me.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Mokinokaro posted:

The odd thing about Yayaka's question is that she didn't seem to care THAT much about the answer and she was surprisingly open about telling them things. Really does make me question if "world domination" should be taken at face value.

It's an odd answer, but her motives seem heartfelt and she's Yayaka's friend who wanted them to join.

will the asclepius leader be art senpai or grandma

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Status Update: The more I watch of this, the better the comparison to Humanity has Declined looks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Well, that's it. I'm completely and utterly invested in this show and need to see it to the end. Episode four was just about perfect in how it handled character development, its ominous weird plotting/foreshadowing, and I enjoyed just about everything in it.

Let's see -

- The moment the rabbit and the robot had the...horror moment outside the "tent" reminded me of every cliche about camping out and monsters in the woods, and for a moment I was wondering if we'd get a horror pastiche.

- Grandma is super creepy. Do more than be vaguely understanding, lady!

- Another fakeout: when they got separated on the island due to Cocona turning back from the bugs, I was suddenly sure there'd be some kind of monster or something horrible that Papika would have to help rescue Cocona from. But nope, the show remained cheerful and non-threatening (mostly) this time!

- I can really empathize with Cocona. Not knowing what you want to do for your future, not knowing what your skills are, let alone your interests - she's relatively isolated, too, and being a good student doesn't necessarily ensure a fulfilling future. Here's to hoping she emerges from the series with a happier path in front of her, and a good partner in Papika with her. (Papika as a literal dream girl feels almost too fitting given the show - she's almost custom made to fit the Pure Illusion adventures as she's curious, unafraid, and goes with the flow in all things. But I hope...I hope she's real. For Cocona's sake.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I actually think that it's not that Grandma is creepy and sinister - it's that we're in deep in Cocona's head for much of the show, and she is resentful and suspicious of her one surviving relative. Observe how what she actually says is usually nice and supportive, and how she gets less distant and unsettling when Cocona reaches out to her at the end of Episode 3.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Darth Walrus posted:

I actually think that it's not that Grandma is creepy and sinister - it's that we're in deep in Cocona's head for much of the show, and she is resentful and suspicious of her one surviving relative. Observe how what she actually says is usually nice and supportive, and how she gets less distant and unsettling when Cocona reaches out to her at the end of Episode 3.

That's quite insightful! It fits the themes of the show, with the repeated subtle imagery of optical illusions (thinking of the girl/old woman figure on the boat). Shifting perspectives and all that.

Man, this show knows what it's doing. Everything's unified and deliberate.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Cocona seems to have trouble opening up to people in general-perhaps because her general listlessness and lack of direction leaves her uncertain what she can contribute to any of her relationships. This would make it easy to understand how thoroughly she's won over by Papika's seemingly unconditional love and openness, even if she's a bit intimidated by it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Space Flower posted:

hey look, 666

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
It worries me how Papika seems to be great at everything Cocona isn't good at. It really is giving more credence to the dream girl theory.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Dunno. I'd say they're both really bad at social interaction on their own ways.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, that could very easily just them being complementary in the way fictional couples often are. They're already doing that with the colors.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good ep. The scene where they got separated on the island was properly terrifying. The bit with the poisonous red fruit smeared on Cocona's hands seems ominous, maybe in a Lady MacBeth way given her dead parents. I mean, she almost certainly didn't actually kill them, but possibly feels guilty for some reason, which could also explain her distance from her grandmother. Though guilt doesn't really mesh with the way she talked about wanting to meet them. Anyway, it seemed significant somehow, like much of the episode!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.anime-evo.net/2016/10/28/flip-flappers-4/

Here's a good review of the episode I stumbled across while I was waiting on Titanfall to download. Picked up on some things I missed or otherwise wasn't able to articulate.

Some choice bits:

quote:

Papika is friendly and wants to make Cocona happy, but she’s also overbearing and thoughtless, barreling forward with what she thinks is a good idea without stopping to ask if Cocona actually likes it. She tends to dominate their interactions and activities, making it hard for the more reserved Cocona to find a space for herself. Her tunnel nest is a perfect example of this, as she clearly did it so they’d both have a safe space, but she didn’t involve Cocona in its creation. So when Cocona enters, she says “ojamashimasu,” a greeting used when entering someone else’s home.

From here on, Cocona never quite feels comfortable, despite her efforts to adapt. Papika’s foraging expeditions tend to leave chaos in their wake (and Cocona stuck dealing with the mess), and the way Papika instinctively knows what to eat without knowing the names for any of it is unsettling to the book-smart, nature-naive Cocona. Add to this Papika’s total inability to acknowledge boundaries–popping in on Cocona when she’s bathing, sleeping in the nude right next to her friend–and it’s no wonder Cocona can’t sleep and flees to Uexkull’s familiar presence.

The importance of perspective continues to play a major role in Flip Flappers, and in a lot of ways it forms the center of both the conflict and resolution this week. To Cocona, her ability to tie a scarf is common knowledge. Normal. “Anybody can do that,” she says. To Papika, knowing which fruits are good to eat and which are bad is equally common knowledge. But to each other, these skills are impressive, admirable. Special.

There are still some holes (as demonstrated by the leaky bath), but overall their relationship seems much more balanced now. Cocona takes the initiative on how they’re going to get off the island, she talks freely about her past and her wish to meet her deceased parents, and she’s finally able to sleep comfortably beside her friend. Papika’s still keeping a lot of secrets about herself and FlipFlap, which is concerning, but the fact that she sleeps fully clothed this time may mean she’s trying to be more considerate of Cocona, too...If Flip Flappers really is one big, fantastical coming-of-age story, then Cocona and Papika are two sides of the same adolescent coin: One is learning about independence and personal choice, and the other about responsibility and consideration. Both are equally important to becoming a healthy adult, and this week the girls took important steps towards not only growing as individuals, but as a pair.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When are we getting an episode titled Pure Imagination?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, that could very easily just them being complementary in the way fictional couples often are. They're already doing that with the colors.

One thing i love is their transformed forms have them almost switching hair colors. It's a nice touch.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mokinokaro posted:

One thing i love is their transformed forms have them almost switching hair colors. It's a nice touch.

Yeah same

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Ok this episode was a fantastic return to form in being vaguely unsettling.

-Grandmother is still "OH BY THE WAY HAVE YOU READ THE GIVER" level of creepiness.

-The return of the maiden/crone optical illusion. It just occurred to me that the boat ride is very reminiscent of Charon and crossing the River Styx.

-Afterwords we have spoooooky tree. I'd say it can be read as either a prison cell--keeping some part of Cocona locked away--or a creature's maw. Not sure about the thematic symbolism of the latter.

- たのもう! たのもう!  :kimchi: :kimchi:

- The artist girl's presence is really helpful towards Cocona's struggle to realize herself. She's clearly the most mature member of the cast (outside of flip flap) and shows that you can "grow up" without being reduced to conformity. She freely talks about her struggles in her work but shows no sign of being stymied by them. Her affection for Cocona is likely nothing more than seeing a young girl struggling to come to terms with coming of age, and offering her a refuge. Plus, she has no interaction whatsoever with Papika, who seems locked in childhood like Peter Pan, except being left in the wake of her whirlwind.

- Oh lawd this show isn't even being subtle about its yonic imagery this time. Hey Cocona crawl back into this womb and enter a realm of childlike wonder!

- DEAD PARENTS outta nowhere! Batman aside, Papika's unfamiliarity of something as simple as "family," plus the fact she didn't offer any details of family of her own, feeds into my suspicion that Papika is an artificial human to some degree. I'm calling Papika's literal age as 3 years old, max.

- Bu-chan x Uexkull best bros :3:

- Good thing they got sucked into the sun because that lovely raft didn't even have a sail or oars on it so they were gonna die at sea.

- Uexkull went with them! A return of Kamina-Uexkull?!

Not going to get into Yayaka right now since I could probably write an entire page on her alone this episode.

tl;dr This show is awesome, the atmosphere is back to being sublime, the ED was playing in my head the entire time I was writing this post. Incidently, this was the perfect follow up after trying to watch Now and Then, Here and There and then giving up midway through the series because of absolute despair. Sara :smithicide:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

A big flaming stink posted:

the ED was playing in my head the entire time I was writing this post.

flip-flap, flip-flap~

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
My impression so far that this is clearly some Japanese director/producer's idea for Doctor Who fanfiction with a female protagonist as the Time Lord.

I am very satisfied with this as a perfect example I can point to and say "It would work if it was like that."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raenir Salazar posted:

My impression so far that this is clearly some Japanese director/producer's idea for Doctor Who fanfiction with a female protagonist as the Time Lord.

I am very satisfied with this as a perfect example I can point to and say "It would work if it was like that."

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

• Locked thread