Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Although, I suppose we don't really know much about the Klan besides their preferred dress attire so far, so eh.

And the fact they captured Papika at the end of episode 1 yet seemed to have let her go for whatever reason.

They're probably watching Flip Flap's progress and intercepting where needed like they did in episode 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

I'm gonna guess Salt's group did that.

Then they're using similar equipment which raises more interesting questions. Is Salt a rogue agent from Yayaka's group?

Was that the end of Papika (2?) and now we're following Papika 3?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah I had the same thought after posting.

I think it's actually a little suspicious she shows up the next day in the exact same outfit too (which given the odd plugs is probably intended for testing.)

My current theory is Papika's actually from Pure Illusion. It would explain her slightly more cartoonish expressions and why she's so at home there.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If they're pushing some of the Pretty Cure parallels as hard as they seem to be, Yayaka's likely the villain who joins the heroines midseason.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hm...interesting. Sleeper agent for FF, maybe?

Or someone who gets somewhat involved in things. The robot does follow them to school after all.

Love Yayaka outright stating her group's goal (which probably means there's more to it.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It really feels like Flip Flap's HQ is crammed into an abandoned tunnel or something. The whole place has this claustrophobic, shut in feel from what we've seen. "Intimate" if you will.

In contrast to the big open area of Yayaka's place I suppose.

The odd thing about Yayaka's question is that she didn't seem to care THAT much about the answer and she was surprisingly open about telling them things. Really does make me question if "world domination" should be taken at face value.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Dunno. I'd say they're both really bad at social interaction on their own ways.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, that could very easily just them being complementary in the way fictional couples often are. They're already doing that with the colors.

One thing i love is their transformed forms have them almost switching hair colors. It's a nice touch.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I also fully expect the brain thing to not be acknowledged again either. It really was framed as a sight gag.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
IIRC, we see the twins in the school outfits briefly after Yayaka. They appear to have been caught in the same loop.

After this episode I definitely think Yayaka's going to end up on the same side as P + C eventually. There's too much hinting of her being nicer than she acts.

EDIT: \/ that's probably part of it, yet at the same time Yayaka still fell for the same traps for a while this time.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 4, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Space Flower posted:

wasn't that just yayaka's org. taking their crystals again?

That makes a lot of sense actually.

Yayaka probably also brought Cocona home after.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That was actually an interesting development. Episode 3 seemed to imply they could only transform when they were perfectly in sync, but in episode 5 they transformed at different times so they couldn't have been completely synced.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dzhay posted:

So did P&C actually alter paint girl's memories or just do some Inception-type-stuff? Is PI some sort of collective unconscious deal, with "exits" to people's brains as well as into the real world?

It feels more like the latter to me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Something that hasn't been brought up here but was discussed over at the anime subreddit is the idea that Iro hasn't been harmed by what they did, she's just changed.

Which was also a motif of this episode with the other Papikas. One of them outright says that change isn't a bad thing.

Iro painted because of her aunt. It was partly a coping mechanism. Now she's out socializing more and generally more upbeat. Only Cocona seems to consider this a bad thing because to her it feels like a piece of Iro is missing.

Cocona views the world in a way that everyone stands out with particular talents. Iro has no interest in the one that defined her in Cocona's eyes so the latter sees her as incomplete.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 19, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty confident it will. The first half was focused on Cocona developing, the second seems to be focused on Papika's development.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pavlov posted:

Am I the only one who's seeing the plot as actually getting in the way of the good parts of the show? The actual collecting rocks and KKK bits don't really have any tension in them. Hell this is a 12 episode show right? We're 3/4ths through and we still don't know plot motivations for like half the show's cast.

It's reminding of me KLK in that way. The first half was mostly fun, stylized goofy antics and then the plot moved in and derailed the show.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Colonel posted:

i see this comparison come up a lot and i can't disagree with it more considering kill la kill's second half was sort of garbage that didn't have much of what made the first half fun, while flip flappers has always had the relationship between papika, cocona and yayaka as a major part of it and it hasn't dropped any of the pure illusion stuff, just made it into more of a driving force for character interaction

It's more that I worry it'll go the same route. Not that it's declined currently.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Boy, that show got weird after I fell of of it, huh

You have no idea. The second half is basically a completely different (and worse) show with the same characters.

EDIT: \/ I'm pretty sure that Yayaka is human, though it could be interesting if she is an amorphous and her will is her "flaw"

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 1, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It really feels like Papika's got a fractured memory or some sort of PTSD.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Reddit's thinking she's working for the klan or Salt and the whole meeting with Yayaka was a setup.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You two are missing the most important part: Yayaka being a complete badass this episode.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Highlight of the episode is probably Hidaka seemingly enjoying every minute of this.

Also I can't believe Cocona loving exploded.

Season 2 will involve collecting the shards of Cocona

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I am 99% certain we're building up to an epic climax within Pure Illusion for the finale but the pacing of the show still easily allows for the character stuff to resolve in a good way.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yuri is surprisingly not that popular in Japan itself.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

I suspect this one is exactly as old as she appears, but that she's inherited the memories of someone rather older.

Yeah that's my thinking too. Papikana's memories seem to have transferred to her through the shards over time or at least brought to the surface by them. It's fairly clear they are still distinct people despite similar personalities given her love for Cocona (and not Mimi) is definitely genuine.

She's not the same Papikana of the past. That person is probably dead. She's a clone of some sort, possibly an amorphous child (though Salt perfected the tech after leaving the klan since she seems perfectly human unlike the twins? Then again, Nyu seems really drat close to human too.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 10, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cephas posted:

Flip flap flip flap

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yayaka gon' die. :ohdear:

I hope she transforms. It's the expected culmination of her arc.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Well my read is that Nyunyu's role in the story is just to represent Yayaka's sense of inadequacy. Now that she seems to have gotten over that, she can be pretty much sidelined.

That and she kind of represents how little the klan actually gave a poo poo about Yayaka.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So it's obvious Klan leader is Salt's crazy dad right? We saw his eyes in the last couple episodes and it sure looked like them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So there's no episode this week right?

EDIT: \/ Cool, not sure where I read it was skipping a week. It's not like Christmas is as big in Japan as the West.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 20, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You know I think that preview pretty much confirms that outside of the Iroh tangent, all the PIs we saw might have been mostly Cocona influenced.

Maybe it's something she got from her mother.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

All three of them are precious and wonderful and I hope they're all happy forever.

Yayaka is at least in BFF for life territory for the other 2.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Eh. The way I see it, being de-aged and losing her memories is basically the same thing as being reborn as a new person who then fell in love with Cocona. It's not like she's ever been framed as an older person than Cocona mentally. Even after regaining her Papikana memories, it comes off like her more recent memories are the stronger part of her current personality.

Yeah that's how I see it. She's got a sort of reincarnation thing going on.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Spoiler warning, literally any answer the show can give you at this point will be reducable to "Magic happened because PLOT."

Well, we briefly see her in the same kind of crystal thing that Cocona was imprisoned in. Maybe that caused it?

I'm kind of hoping it turns out to be some master plan by non-evil,original Mimi to protect her daughter.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Colonel posted:

i have the ultimate plan to protect my daughter, and all it requires is my best friend being reborn into a child to become my daughter's ultimate wife

Yeah on further reflection it's a bit silly.

Papika's love is genuine AND she wants to fulfil her promise to Mimi.

EDIT: \/ all of their outfits have had a butterfly-like motif. Especially the ones in this episode.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 23, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

I like that the twins have come around in the last episode. With the older sister getting a truly awesome angry face at her brother getting hurt again and then telling the Hoodman to gently caress off.

I think the best part was that they were inspired by Yayaka's rebellion.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I really like how Cocona's and Papikas emphasize that they're a pair while Yayaka's uses the same elements to show she's running solo (or perhaps paired to both)

Also calling it now the finale will involve using a red gate to bring back Mimi's sanity

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cephas posted:

I think the controlling Mimi isn't just a Pure Illusion projection from Cocona. The way that the controlling Mimi behaves doesn't seem like something that would come from Cocona, but it does seem like it would come from the actual Mimi. Mimi spent her life in a stifling cage where she wasn't allowed to make any decisions for herself, and at a moment of crisis I think she mistakenly decided that control was the only thing that could keep Cocona safe and allowed that part of her to have a lot of power. So I think Cocona is learning about the difficult life her mother had and is seeing the sort of internal conflict it created in her.

Yeah that's what I figure too. She snapped in a similar way to Salt's dad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You and me Cocona. Flip flapping forever. 100 years Cocona and Papika dot com

What a good ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Episode 5 is quite a visual treat overall. Same with 8.

• Locked thread