Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

it seems like different excursions into Pure Illusion will be themed after fairy tales? since this time was Hansel and Gretel

Hm. Was it? Aside from Cocona leaving a trail of candy for all of 30 seconds I don't see the connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Something nobody's commented on yet: on a rewatch, I registered that the lady in Cocona's dream immediately after the OP is that optical illusion where the person is drawn so that they can look like either a maiden looking over her far shoulder or a crone looking slightly downwards depending on how you look at it. Interesting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

More assorted thoughts from the rewatch:

The wishing jewel smells like Cocona, according to Papika. Wonder if that's a matter of Cocona smelling of magic (or whatever) or of the Jewel smelling like whatever you wish for?

I like how Cocona never calls Papika by name until she's scared Papika's dead. That was rather sweet.

Not sure what Cocona's deal is going to be with those glasses. She clearly doesn't need them to see, and she doesn't wear them often enough for them to be a vanity thing. So why put them on when she does? A momento from some dead parent or something seems too cliche, and at any rate the moments where she puts them on don't immediately appear to be tremendously sentimental.

What was that glow on Cocona's thigh when she went all Mahou Shoujo? Was that the wishing jewel? Some sort of rune? Why her thigh specifically? I'm going to be generous and assume that it wasn't coming from, er, upriver.

It's far too early to be married to this sentiment, of course, but something about our apparent villainous organization rubs me the wrong way as far as storytelling goes - though I can't really put my finger on what it is. The obvious assumption here is that they're letting Papika (and Cocona, her Candidate - whatever that means in practical terms) run around Pure Illusion and gather up fragments of the wishing jewel and then nicking the shards for themselves, which seems straightforward in a way that annoys me more than it feels like it should.

Definitely looking forward to more.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 7, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

I said a flip flop

Close, but...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Who'da thunk that'd happen? :v:

Also, looks like we're going even more literal Alice In Wonderland next episode, and it looked like Cocona gets locked in some sort of cage filling with gas? :ohdear:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Should have answered "No, it was a complete accident when we made Papika look like she was about to kiss Cocona, only to reveal that she was merely sniffing Cocona's hair. No romantic tension was ever intended."

Who specifically is that, anyway? Director? Animator?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

actually it's better, that they said "yes it was intentional and people are not just reading into it"

in fact it's pretty goddamn refreshing having word from staff to back it up and replying like that would probably end up adding even worse fuel to dumb arguments

Yeah, you're right, and it is cool to see the director go "yeah these two girls are totally into each other" this early into a production. The question just made me laugh when I set alongside that scene.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Episode 2 was pretty good. Art and animation remain outstanding, but that goes without saying. Misc. Thoughts:

-I feel like I like this OP more every time I see it. It's really good.

-Cocona's grandma creeps me out and I'm not sure yet how intentional that is.

-I'm not sure if blondie's attitude towards Papika is just reasonable suspicion towards crazy flying-surfboard hobos or if she's jealous of how handsy Papika is with Cocona.

-If Cocona and Papika have to feel the same way in order to cross over to Pure Illusion, then that explains what the tickling thing was all about. Also noticed that they didn't cross over today until they simultaneously cried out for Uexkull.

-I wonder if any old hole is good enough for crossing over to PI, or if specific places map to each other. Like, if they go back to the pipe from the last episode and cross over there, will that automatically take them to Sweet Snow World agin, or could they access any of the PI worlds depending on how they conduct the little ritual thing?

-Cocona not recognizing Papika in Wonderland until she started sniffing her like a rabbit was cute and funny.

-I'm...not sure what was scratching Cocona up when she was trapped in the big turbine thing. It didn't look like it was just random debris...

-Interesting that, while Cocona seemed to either create or simply reveal a fragment herself when she transformed, Papika found her own well before transforming and didn't get another when she did. Wonder if Cocona's always had a fragment on her, and why?

-I wonder if Uexkull will get to turn buff and come along for all these adventures from now on?

-I'll be interested to eventually find out where the hell Papika came from and why she's unquestioningly gathering fragments for FF.

-My gut says that FF will turn out to be overtly malicious before the show is over...but it's totally possible that I'm wrong and they're just going to be mysterious and eccentric.

-On that note the little chamber they loaded Cocona and Papika into (I assume to send them off to the next Pure Illusion) struck me as unsettlingly close to a crematorium.

-"Uh, our school doesn't let us take jobs!" "Oh, don't worry! We won't be paying you!" Hah.

-Flip flap, flip flap...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Something about this one makes me think Splatoon for some reason.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Was it said that the glasses don't do anything? I don't think anyone whips glasses out in the middle of the night to look at something if they don't need them. Maybe she's just embarrassed to wear them in class. I think Papika appeared to her as an indistinct blob with a big smile because she spends most of her time inches away from Cocona's face.

Nah, she specifically said she didn't need them to try and stop Papika from chasing after the big walrus things in the first episode. She didn't recognize immediately recognize Papika in episode 2's Pure Illusion because she'd been turned into a rabbit and had become more reliant on smell than on sight.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rewatching Episode 2 - I didn't catch this on the first go around, but when Cocona is trying to get away from Papika bugging her at school, there's a bit where blondie (Yayaka) pulls her into the nurse's office to hide. Papika then runs up to the door, then backs away suddenly, clutching her mouth and nose as though she smelled something foul. Between that and taking a closer look at the OP, I think Yayaka might be destined to be our villain - or rival, at least. Which might also mean I wasn't inventing those jealousy vibes I was getting off of her demeanor towards Papika.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Erg posted:

I took it as she can't stand the smell of all the manufactured drugs in there

...Hm. That would also make sense. We'll see.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Don_Don_Kun/status/787359829472018433

I had kind of picked up on this, but this articulates it much more cleanly than I felt able to. Will be interested to see if/how the show continues with this theme.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

you're not helping

I think it's very helpful

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New Episode New Thoughts:

-It's pretty on the nose, thematically, but I do like that Cocona and Papika take on each other's colors when they Henshin.

-Interesting that Papika's the shield and Cocona's the sword.

-Noteworthy that this was the first Pure Illusion to contain intelligent creatures.

-I really like these action sequences. They look fantastic and they're well scripted.

-Called Yayaka being a rival, but didn't call that she and they weird kids and the robot men from episode 1's stinger would be from another organization. Makes me lean harder towards Flip Flap actually not being overtly malicious.

-Sooooo Papika might not be human.

-Where and when did Cocona get her fragment? Did she create it? Or was it given to her?

-If you think that episode 2 was alluding to some sexual frustration or uncertainty (or using such as an allegory for broader existential frustration) on Cocona's part, then this episode sure didn't do anything to dissuade you.

-Only half-watched the preview because I was on my way back from lunch, but looks like a tropical episode coming up? Will have to take another look.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Liver Disaster posted:

Grandma is more normal this episode!

Yeah. Still talks funny though. "Coh-coh-nah"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

the transformations looked like standard magical girl to me. the sexual imagery i can understand giving people pause, if only because fixating on cocona's inner thigh doesn't seem to do much thematically or for the story. whereas the gagged women and rabbit stuff at least seem to be exploring an idea of sexual awakening and the relationship between cocona and papika.

I mean, putting the gem on Cocona's thigh has thus far given two separate characters, both of whom Cocona seemed to be attracted to (Papika in Episode 2, Evil Bondage Queen in 3), reason to reach between her legs, which certainly plays into the sexual tension/awakening thing the show seemed to be starting up in those episodes. We can certainly argue whether it's necessary, and the show could very easily fumble that theme hard, but I wouldn't say it exists solely for titillation.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i don't feel like anything about the scene where the villain went for her thigh seemed particularly wanted by cocona, and you also have the robot grabbing for it in ep1. i'm not particularly invested in defending or decrying the scenes, but it's the one questionable bit i can definitely see where people are coming from.

Same, I was just saying that I don't think it was just thoughtless fanservice. Doesn't make it good or necessary.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Upon rewatching the OP noticed this:

Wonder who that girl is.

I'm pretty sure that was the little sister who showed up with Yayaka to steal the fragment.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

If it was just for the episode, I could accept it as genre hopping and experimentation. But if it sticks around to much, It's gunna get old fast.

I doubt they milk the transformation sequences too much. Even more traditional magical girl stuff usually abridges them most of the time after their debut, and FF seems...decidedly non traditional so far.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh my god :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

site posted:

I thought of that but it seems like yayaka has been keeping tabs on cocona not just because they're friends but because she's (was up until the start of the show) potentially a magical girl so i figured if they could sense her out maybe they could do that with others and were killing them to keep flipflap from getting a team together

/readingwaytoomuchintoit.txt

This theory raises the question of why Yayaka hasn't killed Cocona yet, don't you think?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

site posted:

If they really are long time friends it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to assume she would rather just keep cocona out of it instead of killing her friend if possible

You'd think Head Klansman would put his foot down, though.

...Although, I suppose we don't really know much about the Klan besides their preferred dress attire so far, so eh.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

And the fact they captured Papika at the end of episode 1 yet seemed to have let her go for whatever reason.

They're probably watching Flip Flap's progress and intercepting where needed like they did in episode 3.

Oh poo poo, I almost forgot about that.

...And yeah, my first impulse was that Papika must have just fought her way out, but then I remembered that she didn't know how to henshin yet, and who knows if she can even do that outside of PI... Weird.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Was that the end of Papika (2?) and now we're following Papika 3?

...Oh poo poo. This actually makes way too much sense. It would kinda explain her superhuman strength (even before henshin-ing) and her lack of regard for her own safety if she's a clone - like Rei or something.

Edit: ...although, on second thought it seems unlikely that the Papika we saw get netted by the robots at the end of episode 1 died, considering that 2 made a point of highlighting how beat up she looked when Cocona saw her again - presumably leftover injuries from either the big mammoth things or the robot dudes.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 26, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

If, as I suspect, Pure Illusion is shaped by the subconsciouses of those who enter it, then that raises the possibility of Papika being Cocona's literal dream girl.

Which would explain quite a lot, really.

What about the fact that Cocona met her in the real world before ever setting foot in Pure Illusion?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fair enough - this would also be a suitable explanation for how Cocona already had a fragment. Papika being the literal dream girl would be very :3:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I guess this depends on whether Papika is really a complete person, rather than a construct built of Cocona's repressed desires (like the monster in the last episode, if this theory turns out to be true). In that case, the happier ending may be for them to not end up together, but for Cocona to make her dreams reality and pursue a relationship with an actual girl (and Yayaka sure seems interested).

I dunno about that - it's still early, obviously, but I've gotten the impression that Yayaka's gonna be more of an agent of conformity, pushing for Cocona to suppress deviant desires and be like all the normies... Although I suppose they could have a redemption arc for her or something similar.

This is all still spitballing at this point, of course, but it's fun.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The catch is, of course, that Yayaka's attempts to enforce conformity ring hollow. She's clearly more motivated by desire for Cocona than any serious regard for the rules (remember when she almost confessed something to her while blushing?), and she herself is an adventurer in the chaos of Pure Illusion. She's not just an avatar of the real world, but someone going through their own struggle, and that struggle has some pretty heavy parallels with Cocona's.

Yeah, this is all a fair read - though it's also possible that she's more of a dark mirror, showing someone who has those 'deviant' desires and would be happier if they acted on them, but chooses to suppress them in order to fit in and is ultimately broken by the existential angst that results from that sort of self-denial. Just gonna have to wait and see.

...gently caress, there's more Flip Flappers tomorrow but I want it noooooooooow

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 26, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New episode was fun, as close to a breather as I expect to get from this show. Wouldn't say we really learned a whole lot in terms of concrete stuff, but I think the show definitely needed an episode like this establishing some chemistry between Cocona and Papika under normal(ish) circumstances, and it pulled it off very well.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Agreed. I thought the episode was nice for its character work, and we still got some neat visuals with Papika's house thing even though it was mostly (I think) in the real world (?).

What was up with the end of this episode, though? So far we've always seen them enter PI through extant holes. This time we get ... uh ... a hole in the sky?

Well, we know that they need to feel the same way to cross over into PI, at least, and they were both feeling affectionate at the time, and an eclipse looks sort of like a hole in the sky. As long as they're in sync and see something they might perceive as a hole, that's probably more important to the process than the precise nature of the 'hole'.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 27, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A Tin Of Beans posted:

This is fair

I think my main reason for wondering is ... an eclipse usually has a lot of symbolic importance in fiction, also the non-literal thing, but yeah I'm probably just overthinking it and confused over nothin'.

If the eclipse does turn out to be different from any other hole they've been using, I'd expect that it'll just be a matter of it being a hole that Papika and Cocona actually opened themselves through the strength of their feelings for each other or something like that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Something that's occurred to me - anyone have any guesses at what's up with the painter girl? The show's clearly setting her up for something, but I've no idea what. I don't see her in the OP...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

lets hang out posted:

She's the girl the brain robot turns to look at, you can see her apron before he turns and then again reflected in his lens.

Hm...interesting. Sleeper agent for FF, maybe?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rewatching now that I'm home with a good monitor. Misc thoughts

-Cocona's granny still creeps me out a bit.

-Mildly interesting that Papika already knows about the concept of a sleepover, considering her otherwise vague grasp of human society.

-Yayaka asking P&C to join her was interesting - kind of pokes a hole in all that talk about her being an agent of conformity we were speculating about earlier, doesn't it?

-The huge plants and loving ostritch hanging around make me a little uncertain whether or not Papika's 'house' was in PI or not.

-"This stuff is edible, right?" "I'm eating it!" Sound logic.

-...where the hell did they get the shower water?

-Cocona clearly not entirely comfortable in bed with Papika, Papika looking a little hurt when she leaves.

-Nice subtle bit - when they've arrived at the beach and Papika is trying to get Cocona to come fish with her, Cocona looks down at her skirt and ever so slightly adjusts it with her finger, clearly toying with the idea of hiking it up and joining Papika in the water.

-Interesting how the camera keeps focusing on Cocona's dirty hands.

-Papika is noticeably not dirty despite trundling along through the same forest as Cocona.

-Shocking twist, Cocona's parents are DEAAAAAAD. Doubtless they were some how involved in PI and at least one of the two organizations.

-Cocona sleeping much better on night 2.

-This raft plan is only slightly less poorly conceived than the one in Kingdom Hearts.

-I alluded to this earlier, but the way FF talk about the Pure Illusion opening up makes me think that P&C can just naturally open the door whenever they get in sync enough.

- Ah, young love. :3:

-Yuri bait aside, that's still just a really great moment. It's clearly just such an important, self-actualizing sort of moment for Cocona, and the way the music and the shots are put together really conveys a strong sense of euphoria.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

i dunno about japanese architecturing to know if this is coincidence or not. but nice synchro episode

Is that Eva on the bottom? Or did I completely miss that shot in the episode?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I actually think that it's not that Grandma is creepy and sinister - it's that we're in deep in Cocona's head for much of the show, and she is resentful and suspicious of her one surviving relative. Observe how what she actually says is usually nice and supportive, and how she gets less distant and unsettling when Cocona reaches out to her at the end of Episode 3.

Cocona seems to have trouble opening up to people in general-perhaps because her general listlessness and lack of direction leaves her uncertain what she can contribute to any of her relationships. This would make it easy to understand how thoroughly she's won over by Papika's seemingly unconditional love and openness, even if she's a bit intimidated by it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, that could very easily just them being complementary in the way fictional couples often are. They're already doing that with the colors.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.anime-evo.net/2016/10/28/flip-flappers-4/

Here's a good review of the episode I stumbled across while I was waiting on Titanfall to download. Picked up on some things I missed or otherwise wasn't able to articulate.

Some choice bits:

quote:

Papika is friendly and wants to make Cocona happy, but she’s also overbearing and thoughtless, barreling forward with what she thinks is a good idea without stopping to ask if Cocona actually likes it. She tends to dominate their interactions and activities, making it hard for the more reserved Cocona to find a space for herself. Her tunnel nest is a perfect example of this, as she clearly did it so they’d both have a safe space, but she didn’t involve Cocona in its creation. So when Cocona enters, she says “ojamashimasu,” a greeting used when entering someone else’s home.

From here on, Cocona never quite feels comfortable, despite her efforts to adapt. Papika’s foraging expeditions tend to leave chaos in their wake (and Cocona stuck dealing with the mess), and the way Papika instinctively knows what to eat without knowing the names for any of it is unsettling to the book-smart, nature-naive Cocona. Add to this Papika’s total inability to acknowledge boundaries–popping in on Cocona when she’s bathing, sleeping in the nude right next to her friend–and it’s no wonder Cocona can’t sleep and flees to Uexkull’s familiar presence.

The importance of perspective continues to play a major role in Flip Flappers, and in a lot of ways it forms the center of both the conflict and resolution this week. To Cocona, her ability to tie a scarf is common knowledge. Normal. “Anybody can do that,” she says. To Papika, knowing which fruits are good to eat and which are bad is equally common knowledge. But to each other, these skills are impressive, admirable. Special.

There are still some holes (as demonstrated by the leaky bath), but overall their relationship seems much more balanced now. Cocona takes the initiative on how they’re going to get off the island, she talks freely about her past and her wish to meet her deceased parents, and she’s finally able to sleep comfortably beside her friend. Papika’s still keeping a lot of secrets about herself and FlipFlap, which is concerning, but the fact that she sleeps fully clothed this time may mean she’s trying to be more considerate of Cocona, too...If Flip Flappers really is one big, fantastical coming-of-age story, then Cocona and Papika are two sides of the same adolescent coin: One is learning about independence and personal choice, and the other about responsibility and consideration. Both are equally important to becoming a healthy adult, and this week the girls took important steps towards not only growing as individuals, but as a pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

huh

• Locked thread