Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

In six words or less, why should I watch this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Alright sold. Time to binge.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

^ Okay now I'm double sold.

LB Edits, first episode: A triple ahoge?

loving ENFPs...

"Oh hey, something strange happened and I woke up with a glowing object in my hand. It better not be a soul gemphylactery :\"

"Uh, no."

I'm in. Also, are post-credits scenes normal, or just the first episode?

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 13, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Episode 2. Definitely a good show to take your mind off a broken toe.

Last episode I thought I recognized the nurse's voice, this episode Papika is sounding like Mako.

Brobot brought her a a unif-!... oh, maybe not.

I want that painting.

I am not nearly high enough for this art transition.

"Don't worry, we're not paying you."

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Episode 3.

I'm starting to get a Star Driver vibe that these things aren't supposed to be taken out of their little pocket dimension. Time passed during the first round though.

Oh geez. Someone definitely watched Fury Road right before laying out episode 3.

Papika's red.
Cocona's blue.
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru.

Well. I guess Papika really can use her head in battle after all.

No comment on the petite femdom cliche besides: Do please destroy it from orbit.

Aha! The cultish artificial entrants arrive to contend with the natural(s). My Star Driver vibe was correct.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Episode 1's just took a while to pay off. Its the first major hint that granny's with the Klan.

I accidentally hovered this, but already figured out she had something going on at the end of ep3.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 13, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Still on 3, and realized it was at the end of 3.

There is one thing that bugs me so far, in episode 2: Papika's stockings and twintails disappeared somewhere in the interim :stwoon:

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 13, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Pre-stint pontification: Let's dispel the notion that Japan lacks a drug culture. This show alone is proof that somebody has been getting LSD and MDMA over there.

Tangentally, whoever is writing this show definitely understands a rare sort of introvert-extrovert relationship. Myers-Briggs is garbage for 75% of people (it says you're relatively normal, get over it), but the ENFPs and INTJs are the weirdos it picks out well. Short version is ENFPs don't get 'emotional blowback' from INTJs (their words, not mine), and INTJs find ENFPs to be obnoxiously attractive (emotionally, not [just] physically). Maybe I'm projecting a little, but I did see a bit of this setting up between Cocona and Papika even in the very first episode.

Also I noticed that they obtained each other's fragments. I'm sure this is important. I'm still not convinced this isn't just two girls candyflipping in the woods besides that it's been less than a day between.

Episode 4. Requisite sleepover episode.

I'm liking Dr. Salt just for the 'sunglasses in the dark' shtick.

I think Grandma is just happy to get rid of her for a few days.

When did Cocona start having cheek blush all the time? I guess it was always there, nevermind.

See? That. How everybody already likes and responds to Papika? loving ENFP black magic...

No blondie? I guess we're going into painter chick. Aside: I always wanted a full-size "Pollice Verso" for my wall. That's what that size and colorscheme of painting reminds me of.

Oh great, she's gone and built a full-blown trip cave.

Not worried about foraging. Everything that grows in Japan is edible. I learned this from Non Non Biyori.

The OP lied. Papika doesn't even know what personal space is nor how to spell it.

Getting into personal nightmare territory with this deserted island poo poo.

Oh geez, here's the comeup...

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 14, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Episode 5. Requisite Nope episode.

Nope nope nope.

Definitely reminiscent of that bigass painting, and Ms. Green mentioned not being able to work when the sun is out or when it's raining (she'd never get anything done around here...)

That doll is another bag of nope. Of course it will be turned back around in the morning.

Papika is a natural lotus eater.

Hahaha, that perfect Shining reference.

Sure got gropey in here.

Enacting 'hammerspace weaponry' to the obvious.

I'm actually a bit concerned that these gems aren't stealing something away from somebody. Papika and Cocona ended up with each-other's, but whose is this then? Yayaka hates attending school, so is almost the obvious candidate, but I'd expect her to be aware of it.

Pure Illusion also seems to have some time and space bending capability, at very least a teleporting use. Like a mostly-harmless version of The Warp :commissar:

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 14, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Episode 56.

This is bordering on normal for them by now at least. At least the shortened transformation sequences speak to that.

Oh look, a Vaal area.

Aahhhh Iroha was the signature on the painting. Cocona is standing in or even blending some of herself into it.

Yep. Alzheimer's suuuuuucks, and not just for the one who has it.

Okay, definitely some mind-diving shenanigans going on.

Episode 67.

Remember when I was worried about jacking souls this way?

So yeah, the portal is between dreamspace and memoryspace. 'Fixing' her memory of telling the old woman her name has changed Iroha fundamentally. Inception!

Ah the implications of collective consciousness.

Oh poo poo, is Cocona being incepted now!?

What do we call rule 63 Papika? ... I mean either of them.... Any of them.

Anyway yeah, I'm catching on. Papika wouldn't be the Papika Cocona wants if she was any different. loving ENFPs...

And that's what they did to Iroha by accident.

Oh hey. It's the Evangelion train shot.

And Papika wouldn't have any other Cocona.

Mimi? Uh oh...

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 14, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It's certainly a different flavor from Madoka.

Episode 78? I might have numbered the last ones wrong.

Now entering Kevin Flynn. Enjoy your stay!

I'm trying to come up with a pun for a burly pigeon but I'm coming up short.

Goddamit. I know that voice. I think it's Teru from Mob Psycho but I can't find the character anywhere.

ᴀ ᴇ s ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ᴛ ɪ ᴄ

It should be obvious!

GATTAI

This entire series was worth that moment.

Boop.

Oooooh, that's who we incepted this time. Duh.

And yeah, I saw there's a post-credits on this one. Yikes.

Episode 9 is recent enough that I'm gonna just watch and then go back through the thread now. The Brobot and Brobun PV at the end was super informative though.

Episode 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed5Bh_DbHPU

quote:

Hah! Someone did name them!

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 14, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, I didn't fully realize at first, but Papika can't use her powers now. Since she's only ever been able to use them while syncing with Mimi.

She can't use her powers because she's not in Pure Illusion. They've never had powers outside. That's it's leaking IRL might change that, but it seems too unstable just yet, which is why they aimed for a nice round looking one to get in.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, well without a partner I'm not sure if she'd be able to use her powers even IN Pure Illusion.

I think she just needs a reason to. Just getting in was/is the hard part.

I think anyone is capable of having powers in there (Yayaka), you just have to ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠᴇ.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Xinder posted:

actually the different names are in the credits. if you'll notice Papika's VA is listed a bunch in that episode.

Ah that's what that was. I should have stopped and read the kana.

Also, I suspected Cocona's glasses were actually Salt's, to go with speculating he was her father, but they were careful not to show them until now. They fall out of his pocket when Papikana pushes them into the lake.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 16, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Placentacles.

That is all.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

"Sex makes babies?" reaction aside, are we sure Salt is her father just yet?

I kinda have to figure 'Don't gently caress the test subjects' is rule number .... four?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Cocona resembles her mother, and Mimi turned out to be straight. I can't fault Papika on that front.

Circumstances just kinda worked in her favor from there.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Been forgetting to post this for a week now, then had to stay away til I caught the new episode...

Every time Cocona is on the boat, there's a song that plays that sounded so drat familiar. I finally tracked down the doppelganger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyRkWSpagis

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7W09g1TMk

That didn't take long.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It looks exactly like Shirobako in there...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Fun fact: Flip Flappers' opening is by the artist who wrote both Non Non Biyori endings.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

:allears:

Huh, actually. If Pure Illusion is crazy parallel brainspace, that's not too strange a crossover.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I lament that I may only get to use this once:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Well, that was more because they told their boss to gently caress off and dude needed his head patched up again.

Also I never caught why she wore a cast on the robo-arm side, but she wasn't wearing it at the end, so that's a plus.

Bonus:

99.2kb!

I turn 30 today. What the gently caress am I doing?

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 30, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Flip Flapper's ability to underline its tone by piling on symbolism in very natural and understated ways...

Heh... "Shell matching game"

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Colonel posted:

*in gunbuster intermission voice* FLIP FLAPPEEERS

Is Star Driver close enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dquSQpIoLKw

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 1, 2017

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'm thinking to rewatch but before I do I wanna try to pin some of these down:

Ep1: Snow Town - Cocona
Ep2: Dust Bunnies - Kamina Uexkull
Ep3: Mad Max - Papika
Ep5: Yuri Zone - Yayaka
Ep6: Oil Spider - Iroha
Ep7: I think I'm a clone now - Cocona again?
Ep8: Gattai Da - Bu
Ep9: Spaaaaace/White Room - The twins
Ep11: Boss Rush - Mimi
Ep12: Mundania - Cocona again?

Interesting that only episodes 4 and 10 lack a venture into Pure Illusion.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There isn't much plot by that point. It's still character development in 'figure out whose world this is' (don't read right above your post else spoilers!)

Kinda liked it that way. Plot kicks in for real around episode 7 or 8.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I never bought into it being distinct worlds based on whoever entered first or something, but a very compressed hyperspace where proximity to people in the real world is what shapes it. Arguably it's just that the person who enters 'first' happens to be the nearest, and others who enter tend to end up nearby. Finding a door to someone's mind is a matter of starting close enough and then traveling to it, though actually getting there might not be orthographically consistent such that it may just be dumb luck to find one.

So I guess it really is the Warp from 40k, or it really is just two girls candyflipping hard in the woods and thinking it's been a week instead of a few hours and then one's mom shows up to take her home.

This show is great like that.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

quote:

(TV broadcast is regulated in Japan to avoid inducing epileptic seizures by compressing brightness dynamic range, I think.)

Not sure if a joke or real in response to a Simpsons episode...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Just when I thought the HPPD was over...

• Locked thread