Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Go here: https://www.random.org/

1) Determine the year you'll be watching: Set the Min @ 1985 and Max @ 2016.

2) Determine the month you'll be watching: Set the Min @ 1 and Max @ 12.

3) Watch the corresponding PPV and post about it here.

(EDIT: Please feel free to not limit this to WWE. Also check out what WCW, ECW, NJPW, or whatever other feds you have access to were doing that month, and do an extra roll to choose between them if they all put on a show in the same month)

-Pre-PPV years: If it's far back enough that there aren't monthly PPVs yet, round to the nearest month before/after that has one.

-Tiebreaker: In the case of two PPVs in a month, set Min @ 1 and Max @ 2 and watch the corresponding result.

Ongoing directory:
04/1986 - WWF Wrestlemania 2
11/1990 - WWF Survivor Series
04/1993 - WWF Wrestlemania IX
05/1993 - WCW Slamboree 1993
12/1996 - WWF In Your House: It's Time
03/1997 - WCW Uncensored
08/1997 - WCW Road Wild
05/1998 - WCW Slamboree
07/1998 - WCW Bash at the Beach
01/1999 - WWE Royal Rumble
08/2000 - WCW New Blood Rising
09/2001 - WWF Unforgiven (see below)
08/2002 - WWE Summerslam
12/2003 - WWE Armageddon
08/2004 - WWE Summerslam
02/2005 - WWE No Way Out
11/2006 - WWE Cyber Sunday
07/2007 - WWE Great American Bash
08/2007 - WWE Summerslam
11/2007 - WWE Survivor Series
03/2008 - WWE Wrestlemania XXIV
08/2008 - WWE Summerslam
07/2009 - WWE Clash of Champions
07/2009 - TNA Victory Road
06/2010 - WWE Fatal 4-Way
12/2010 - WWE Tables, Ladders and Chairs
09/2014 - WWE Night of Champions
01/2015 - WWE Royal Rumble

----------------------------------------------------

I rolled 2001/9, so that's Unforgiven 2001. Less than 2 weeks after :911: so patriotism is in the air, and of course there's a tribute segment.

I have very little memory of this show. This was the one with that bonkers Stone Cold poster, and in between replays and for scene transitions his weird head keeps showing up and spinning around. This is also in the midst of the WCW/ECW Alliance, so there are a ton of titles on the card. Also, a 25 year old Stephanie shows up in a few segments and she's not grating and screechy and annoying!

-Dudleys (c) vs Hardys vs Show/Spike vs Hurricane/Storm - Fatal Fourway elimination tag for the WWF tag titles: I forgot about some of these teams; Big Show & Spike doing a big/small gimmick, Hurricane & Lance Storm representing the Alliance, and the Dudleys (c) and Hardys around the height of the TLC era. Were they trying to make Hurricane a heel? If he was representing WCW they should've reverted him to his 3 Count gimmick. Dudleys retain after Storm, Spike, and Matt eat respective pins. Really fun opener.

-Raven vs Saturn: I forgot Raven was with Terri for a while. Saturn's representing WWF for some reason, and I feel they missed an opportunity to bolster WCW's ranks. This fight is over Moppy, Perry Saturn's mop, because WWF. Saturn wins it. Alright match.

-Edge (c) w/Rob Zombie theme vs Christian w/rock opera theme for the WWF IC title: This is right after Christian turned heel, breaking up the team over jealousy of Edge's success (he won KOTR and the IC title that year). Pretty solid match, but Edge still needs some fine tuning. I don't remember much about his singles run here. Christian wins the belt after a chair to the nuts.

-Bikertaker/Kane (c) vs KroniK for the WCW tag titles. This notoriously sucked. Brothers of Destruction retained. Next.

-Jericho vs RVD (c) for the WWF Hardcore title: Another missed opportunity to have Jericho represent WCW, but I guess they're both faces here despite RVD being Alliance. Could've been really good even without the hardcore stuff, but the extent of hardcore here is a ladder and 2 chairs. Still firmly in the era of unprotected headshots. Eek. Still, fun match with a really hot crowd, and RVD retains.

-The Rock in a handicap match vs Booker T/Shane McMahon for the WCW title: Overbooked mess. Nick Patrick was instructed to favor Shane and Book. Then Chioda came out and tackled him. Then Test came out and attacked Rock. Then Bradshaw came out and ran off Test. Then Hebner came out and made the final call for The Rock to retain.

-Tajiri (c) vs Rhyno for the WCW US title: This was during the Tajiri/Regal era. Again, ample opportunity for Tajiri to represent ECW alongside Rhyno, instead Tajiri's on WWE's side with Torrie Wilson in his corner. Alright match, a few fun kicking sequences from the sneaky one. Rhyno takes the title.

-Stone Cold Steve Austin (c) vs Kurt Angle for the WWF title: This was during Austin's heel run when he stole Angle's medals and Angle sprayed Austin with a milk truck. A large portion of this match took place outside the ring. It's a big brawl with Austin in control for most of the match, but Angle gets a late comeback. Angle gets the title in front of his family in the front row after catching Austin's kick setup for the Stunner, and reverses it into an ankle lock.

Something I noticed is how far they've come with their treatment of women. All the women on the show are either eye candy or slut-shamed and none of them compete. It was most definitely a different time. Otherwise pretty good show overall. A couple stinkers but the rest was fun, especially looking back to what a mess the roster was and how they botched the Alliance angle completely. 3.5/5

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Got Summerslam '92. I've never seen it, might watch it this weekend.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I got Vengeance 04. I'm hype to see HHH try to win the World Heavyweight Championship from Vacant.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Survivor Series 1987

This will be a thing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rolled Royal Rumble 2008. Have never seen it in full, will give it a watch this weekend!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I got Payback 2014 and im so down to rewatch shield vs evolution

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got Armageddon 2003 which is pretty poignant considering the discussion thread. I'll probably watch it tonight or tomorrow.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Survivor Series 2007. Hmm

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I got TLC 2013. I remember all the PPVs after Summerslam that year were bad and had dumb gently caress finishes involving Daniel Bryan, so this should be fun.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
12/96, so In Your House: It's Time.

Never saw this but will report back later.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

bring it on, bithc

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Unforgiven 2005 , almost 10 years before I even started watching!!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I have to say I hate my roll which gave me 2015/1 or in other words The 2015 Royal Rumble in lively Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

I'll continually edit this post as I watch it. It's starting right now with a preview of Cena/Rollins/Lesnar and the first match is the loving Ascension of all things vs The New Age Outlaws

-The Ascension vs New Age Outlaws - I will fully admit that the NAO intro still gets me hot after all these years (TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS OF THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD). They came out with Phillie Phanatic hats on. Meanwhile here comes everyone's least favorite Road Warrior knockoffs, The Ascension (who I swear to god I had forgotten about until right now.) They just showed a throwback to Raw where New Age Outlaws, the NWO, and APA beat the hell out of Ascension because its 1998 in here or some poo poo. Anyway the match itself is nothing to write home about, there was a hot tag to Billy Gunn but the Ascension hit Fall of Man on him, the Ascension won, no one cared. 1 star I guess cause it wasn't a loving disaster but really.

Miz and Mizdow vs the Usos next and I fuckin love the Mizdow run so I'll probably enjoy this. Also they showed a throwback to Raw where Sting distracted the Authority so Cena could win a match.

Steph and HHH are prattling on in between matches

PAUL FUCKIN HEYMAN shows up to interrupt HHH and Steph woo

-Miz and Mizdow vs The Usos - Mizdow still doing his thing where he imitates everything Miz does and I love it. Funniest was when he crotched himself after the Usos crotched Miz on the turnbuckle. Philly LOVES Mizdow. "Mizdow's Awesome!" chant lmao. Miz plays up a potential tag to Mizdow; gets booed lustily when he doesn't. I really don't like the Usos as they're pretty basic but Miz/Mizdow makes this match good. "WE WANT MIZDOW!" chant. Miz uses Mizdow as a human shield outside the ring. Usos splash Miz and win which I would poo poo on as a who cares thing except Mizdow is imo one of the funniest goddamn things WWE has ever done. Giving this 3 stars solely on the strength of Mizdow but I understand if others would disagree.

Next up is Bella Twins vs Paige and Natalya

Booker T, Rennee Young, Byron Saxton and Corey Graves get a segment now, they're showing highlights of the preshow which was Big E and Kofi Kingston vs Tyson Kidd and Cesaro; Cesaro/Kidd won.

This is the lovely period where they tied Seth Rollins to those 2 dumbass "security" guys whose names I can't remember but it was an ad for WWE Immortals that stupid phone game

-Bellas vs Paige and Natalya - Here come the Bellas who I don't actually hate but the way WWE presented them was goddamn stupid if you ask me. Women can be great loving wrestlers and the Bellas would have been more than fine if they'd just let them do it. The Bellas hit a forearm to win which is just dire but its WWE what am I gonna do. Paige and Natalya do fine here and so do the Bellas; 2 stars surprisingly since I would have predicted this to be a disaster despite the fact that every individual wrestler involved is fine.

Lesnar/Rollins/Cena is next but there's a giant gap in the broadcast which implies that I have to listen to some assholes speak on

There is a commercial for some WWE toys now, each sold seperately

Roman Reigns is talking about how he eliminated more people than even SUPERSTAR KANE did. After that Gold & Stardust have a promo. Now Rusev! His rise to power will be complete tonight. Miz and Mizdow also promo and it is very silly but also amsuing. BIG SHOW is here! He is a highly motivated giant. Fandango! gets a shot to promo as well.

OH poo poo ITS DANIEL BRYAN! Does he think he can win? YES YES YES YES

-John Cena vs Seth Rollins vs Brock Lesnar
RAPADOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Here comes loving Cena and the Philly crowd is full-throated "JOHN CENA SUCKS". I don't even hate John Cena but this reaction is so great. Seth Rollins gets a mild reaction imo. Lesnar gets a hero's welcome. An ECW chant, weirdly; nothing in this match would bring back that memory imo. Lesnar just got slammed into the steps that weigh one ton or whatever. This match has forever left. Cena tried to clothesline Lesnar and it failed miserably. Lesnar caught Rollins in mid flight and F5'ed him but Cena saved it. CENA AA'ED LESNAR THREE loving TIMES BUT LESNAR KICKED OUT. ROLLINS CURB STOMPS LESNAR BUT CENA STOPS IT. "THIS IS AWESOME" chant is fully deserved. CENA JUST DROVE BROCK THROUGH THE BARRICADE. Holy poo poo this rules so hard. CENA SLAPPED BROCK IN THE HEAD WITH THOSE ONE TON STEPS OMG. I DONT CARE THAT THEY DONT WEIGH THAT MUCH. This match is why John Cena, no matter how much you might hate him, is a goddamn genius pro wrestler. It's loving fantastic. Rollins tried to curb stomp Cena but he reversed it into an STF, but J&J security (who I've now remembered their name) came in and hosed it cause its no DQ. Rollins attempts to slam Cena with the MITB briefcase but the result is that J&J security get hosed and eat an AA. SO DOES ROLLINS but he kicks out LETS GO CENA, CENA SUCKS dualing chants. Rollins does an insuguri (spelling?) but Cena kicks out. ROLLINS DOES A loving SLAM FROM THE TOP ROPE AND LESNAR BREAKS THE PIN
ROLLINS TRIES TO CURB STOMP AND LESNAR CATCHES HIM AND DOES A F5 TO WIN. HOLY poo poo this match was a loving monster. 5 goddamn stars.

I'm super hype already but The Royal Rumble is next

HERE WE GO its Royal Rumble time
Miz is #1
R TRUTH IS #2 I love him

I feel asleep cause I am sick as hell today Ill finish this up later

I promised I'd finish this and now I will as I'm feeling better and also remembered
Royal Rumble (the actual Rumble) 2015
Miz v R Truth to start
Nothing much doing until #3 comes in and it's Bubba Ray Dudley who naturally the crowd loves
He clotheslines and beats up on the Miz for a while; R Truth is on the top turnbuckle being ignored for the moment. Bubba and R Truth team up for Waaazzzzaaaaaaap or however you spell that move on Miz. ECW chant. R Truth and Bubba 3D Miz and Bubba chucks him over the ropes. R Truth drop kicks Bubba and then gets eliminated right as #4 Luke Harper comes in.
#5 is Bray Wyatt. Bray and Luke team up to eliminate Bubba and then have a staredown. #6 is Curtis Axel but he gets beaten down by Eric Rowan before he even makes the ring, and Rowan comes into the ring even though he isn't a contestant. Rowan, Bray and Luke all go at it. Bray ends up tossing the both of them over and stands alone in the ring. #7 is The Boogeyman lol I forgot he was in this. I think I just remembered how this Rumble ends and I kinda can't figure out how I forgot in the first place. #8 is Sin Cara who gets no reaction at all. Bray quickly eliminates Sin Cara, grabs a mic, declares it his year, and sings He's Got the Whole World in His Hands #9 is Zack Ryder. He does not last long. A few of the crowd sings He's Got the Whole World in His Hands while we wait.
#10 is DANIEL BRYAN YES YES YES. Bryan runs from one turnbuckle to the other and kicks Bray in the head like 5 times in a row, and then does a series of kicks to YES chants from the crowd. Meanwhile #11 is Fandaaaaaaango who gets a few scattered boos but not much else. #12 is Tyson Kidd. #13 is Stardust. Not a ton going on right now other than Bryan and Bray managing to get outside the ring without either being eliminated since they went between middle ropes. #14 is DDP! he gets a big reaction. DDP diamond cutter to Stardust, then crotches Fandango on the top turnbuckle and diamond cuts him too. Bray, DDP, Stardust, Fandango in the ring right now, Daniel Bryan outside it. DDP cuts Bray too. #15 is Rusev. DDP goes for the cutter but Rusev counters and quickly eliminates him and Fandango. Bray, Rusev, Bryan and Stardust are still alive. Bray eliminates Bryan to boos. #16 is Goldust. Has a staredown with his brother. Crowd starts chanting for Daniel Bryan and then boos. #17 is Kofi Kingston. #18 is Adam Rose. Kofi gets tossed over the ropes and the Rosebuds catch him and put him back in lol. Adam Rose gets eliminated because there are no Rosebuds to catch him. Rusev eliminates Kofi. The brothers Dust, Rusev and Bray are alive. #19 is Roman Reigns and you can imagine the reaction he gets from Philly. They make sure to mention Cena won from #19 once. Roman quickly eliminates Stardust and Goldust. #20 is Big E. Both he and Kofi got booed which I do not appreciate. #21 is Damien Mizdow, crowd are fans. Miz comes out to stop him getting in the ring and says he is taking Damien's spot. Miz tries to get in and Roman knocks him off the apron; Mizdow gets in instead and very quickly gets eliminated by Rusev. 4 hosses alive right now; Reigns, Big E, Rusev and Bray. #22 is Jack Swagger. #23 is Ryback. There are nothing but Vince-style huge dudes in the ring right now. #24 is Kane in corporate form. #25 is Dean Ambrose to a huge pop. #26 is Titus O'Neil who is immediately eliminated by Reigns and Ambrose. #27 is Bad News Barrett. Lots of people in the ring: Bray, Reigns, Barrett, Ambrose, Big E, Jack Swagger, Rusev, Kane, and Ryback. #28 is Cesaro. Rusev eliminates Big E. #29 is Big Show who is immediately teamed up on by everyone as he enters. Show pushes the pile away. Kane and Show eliminate Ryback. Show eliminates Swagger. #30 is Dolph Ziggler. He superkicks Barrett off the apron to eliminate him. Cesaro swings Ziggler. A "Let's go Ziggler" chant breaks out. Ziggler eliminates Cesaro also by superkicking him off the apron (but twice). Ziggler gets KOed by show coming off the top rope; Kane and Show dump him out giving Kane the all time eliminations record. Kane and Show eliminate Bray Wyatt. Now we're left with Show, Kane, Reigns, and Ambrose. Big Show and Kane team up to eliminate Dean. "BULLSHIT" chant rings out. Kane and Show get into it and while they're being dumb Reigns eliminates them both at once. Bell rings. Kane and Big Show (who are Authority at this point in time) come back in and start beating Reigns.

Now you may have noticed that I never said Rusev was eliminated, because he wasn't. He sort of snuck out of the ring at some point. The crowd noticed because "WE WANT RUSEV" breaks out. THE ROCK's music hits and he comes out to save Reigns (did you know they're cousins?) Rock drops a People's Elbow on Kane the crowd is going nuts. Reigns and Rock team up to beat down Big Show with a superman punch and Rock Bottom. Rock leaves the ring, leaving Reigns standing alone taking a shower of boos. Rusev gets in, gets speared. Reigns points to Wrestlemania sign and then throws Rusev out. Reigns wins and we get to enjoy crowd muting as the boos are thunderous. Rock gets in the ring and raises Reigns' hand while Lesnar and Heyman watch on TV. Rock (THE ROCK for gods sake) and Reigns get booed out of the building and, mercifully, we are done. Sorry it was such a wall of words.

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 12, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I rolled year 1987, month 3...

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I rolled Summerslam '99 and it says a lot for my growth as a person from being a pre-teen/teenager that my first thought when Debra came out was "What in the gently caress is she wearing?!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Was that Austin/Angle match the one where all the WWF wrestlers come down to the ring at the end to congratulate Kurt, and when Kurt sees Undertaker he just hugs him like a little kid seeing his dad get back from a war (or prison), while Taker just gently pats him on the side like he's saying,"Good job, kid :clint:"?

Because I loving loved that.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unforgiven 2001

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

artificially stocked lake posted:

I got TLC 2013. I remember all the PPVs after Summerslam that year were bad and had dumb gently caress finishes involving Daniel Bryan, so this should be fun.

It was bad.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Okay, let's see:

1993. Well, not many PPVs that year.

4. April, guess that means Wrestlemania.

*looks up the show on Cagematch*

Oh, just great, the WM where Yokozuna beats Bret for the title and then loses to HULKAMANIA, BROTHER, in 21 seconds.

Yeah, that should be interesting to watch this weekend.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Im not sure if this counts but I got WWE Insurrextion 2003.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I got July 07, which seems to have had two:

Vengeance: Night of Champions and Great American Bash

should I just random 1-2 to decide this for me?

e: oh google was just pulling up the wrong info, VNoC was June. Thanks google

e2: though that does bring up an interesting point if someone rolls a date for last month

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Alright I got Unforgiven 2004 and this one looks like a real stinker

Already some classy signs: "OTHER PEOPLE LITA HAS SLEPT WITH (arrows pointing in every direction)"

Pretty plodding opening match with Flair/Batista vs Regal/Benoit. Followed by Trish offering to do a naughty with some guy named Tompo or something in front of Christian and more slut shaming stuff. I skipped this period of WWE so I have no idea who Victoria is but she's about to fight Trish I guess for the women's championship. Trish is cool so I am cautiously excited?

Victoria is not very good but had a few ok spots I guess. Trish obviously won.

Now this Tompo guy is fighting a crossdressing Stevie Richards. Stevie is getting squashed and the crowd is very dead. This match was really bad. Tompo or whatever has a strong looking finisher I guess

Now there's a ladder match between Jericho and Christian. That sounds rad.

Golashes fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 8, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sure, this sounds fun. Let's see what the ol' counter gives me.

1999 Royal Rumble. The Vince Russo Royal Rumble, plus the show where Rock almost caves Foley's skull in.

... welp

(I'll watch and review this next week when I get paid and can afford both a Network sub and enough booze to last)

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

TLC 2012, sweet I get to watch The Shield vs Bryan/Ryback/Kane, a rad CM Punk promo, and Ziggler get owned by Cena

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Go RV! posted:

should I just random 1-2 to decide this for me?

e2: though that does bring up an interesting point if someone rolls a date for last month

Yeah, this is addressed in the OP. Round to the nearest month that has a PPV, or for tiebreakers random 1-2.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Summerslam 2004 incoming

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

First roll: 1986/6: Nothing in June 1986. Let's try again!

Second roll: 2010/2: Elimination Chamber 2010!

This sounds...promising...

quote:

Pyrotechnics accident[edit]
Just prior to the commencement of the World Heavyweight Championship Elimination Chamber match, The Undertaker was involved in a pyrotechnics accident during his ring entrance. He was temporarily engulfed in flames on three occasions when the pyrotechnics were mistimed, and his jacket briefly caught on fire. He suffered first- and second-degree burns to his neck and chest, and according to a WWE spokesperson the injury "looked like a bad sunburn".[13] He was only allowed to participate in the match after being cleared by a ringside doctor and was given bottles of water throughout the match to douse himself with to alleviate the discomfort.[13] Chris Jericho, who also competed in the match, has told on multiple occasions how the pyrotechnician responsible was relieved of his employment with WWE and escorted from the arena at the behest of The Undertaker.[14][15]

EDIT: Oh I missed the "no PPV" rule. Well, 1986 gets me...Wrestlemania 2!

...Oh god.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Rolled 2009/6 giving me The Bash...OR...Extreme Rules.

Rolled a 1 to lead me to the The Bash.

I wonder if anything unexpected happened.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

http://randomppv.info/

just gonna leave this here

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

I refreshed a poo poo ton of times and it maxed out at 2013 (which is the last post on the FB page, so makes sense), but it also has ECW/WCW fwiw

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

I got Survivor Series 1991.

I don't want to play this game anymore.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
I got Night of Champions 2012. Immediately notable for being the ppv a week after Jerry Lawler had his heart attack on air, and the beginning of JBL on commentary. The beginning of a dark era.

Miz is IC champion in a silly coat. Some things never change. :unsmith:
His opponents are Rey Mysterio, Cody Rhodes and Sin Cara. Some things do (and dont) change. :smith:

Also notable:

I dunno if I wanna keep watching. :smith:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So In Your House: It's Time emanates from West Palm Beach, FL, hosted by Vince, Jerry 'The King' Lawler, and JR. The main event is Bret Hart challenging Sycho Sid for the title.

And the first fight is Leif Cassidy vs. Flash Funk. This is why I started writing now, I normally hate taking notes but there was no way I was gonna be able to remember these names. Flash is basically Funkasaurus Brodus Clay minus a few hundred pounds. Even has dancers. Leif is a guy.

There's a big ECW sign in the crowd.

Anyway the match. Flash botches a few moves really blatantly but beyond that it's entirely average. Some nice aerial moves. Flash wins after a shooting star press.

Next the Tag Team Championship, featuring Fake Diesel and Fake Razor. They were still doing this. Owen Hart and Davey Boy are the tag champs who just can't get along. Davey apparently has a feud with Stone Cold. Owen brings his Slammy to the ring because of course he does. The best.

First Cibernetico and Pirof (?) From AAA show up at ringside and then leave for no reason. Then Stone Cold comes out and Davey Boy fights him for a bit, briefly letting Not Razor get the upper hand. But eventually it becomes a normal tag match again. The actual wrestling is not bad, at the very least the Bulldog and the Rocket can carry these guys, but again it's hard to care. Owen helps Davey reverse an attempted Razor's Edge for the pin. Champs retain, then SCSA assaults Davey in the ring.

Vince gets in the ring to introduce Ahmed Johnson, who's feuding with Farouq and the Nation of Domination. Ahmed is apparently broke, single, and homeless due to an injury, so he's out for revenge. Farouq and the Nation taunt him from the rafters. The Nation has a surprising amount of racial diversity.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley defends the Intercontinental Title against Wildman Marc Mero, and there's a nice video package summarizing the angle (Sable was actually introduced as HHH's valet but she turned on him to join Marc- I don't know if they were already married IRL when this happened.)

So this match actually has a story behind it which is good. It's solid, helped by a hot crowd (when the ref starts threatening Hunter they lose their goddamn minds.) Goldust, who lost the belt to Mero earlier, shows up to attack Hunter while the Ref recovers from a bump, Wildman wins by countout, doesn't get the belt back. So he drags HHH back into the ring and hits his finisher on him, then steals the belt. Goofy finish but match is still entertaining.

Doc Hendrix interviews Sid, who is grinning like a freshman who just smoked his first joint. Also he's wearing a backwards baseball cap which is hilarious. He delivers a very Sid promo.

And now an Armageddon Rules match between the Undertaker and the Executioner. It's like Last Man Standing but you have to be pinned or submitted before the 10 count begins. The story here was that Undertaker was cast out by Paul Bearer and his new servants (Mankind and the Executioner), so now he wants revenge. Mankind shows up to help the Executioner and there are no DQs so this is fine. Taker even throws Mankind through the "In Your House" set, destroying much of it. So yeah this is chaotic fun, a sign of the hardcore influence seeping in. It goes all the way out of the building, into a fountain, then back to the ring. Taker wins with a tombstone piledriver, and the 10 count doesn't matter. So I'm not sure why that was a thing, but whatever, good times.

Bret Hart's locker room interview gets interrupted by Shawn Michaels coming out to do ringside commentary.

And now the main event! Bret vs Sid! Shawn can be fun on the mic but he just keeps talking and ranting. He sounds hoarse. It's an even match for a while, with Hart mostly playing heel, and at one point Steve Austin runs in yet again to attack Bret. The crowd seems split, there are cheers for both Bret and Sid. After a fun back and forth Sid takes the upper hand and wins with a powerbomb. It's not the most exciting finish but overall it's a decent match. Hart obviously does most of the work.

Since this was an IYH it runs under two hours. Overall based in the quality of the last two matches I'd say it was probably worth the reduced price, even if there's some stuff here that would have fit more on an episode of RAW. From a modern perspective it's interesting to see some foreshadowing of bigger changes that the WWF would finally undergo, even if they were a long ways off. There's still that uniquely weird mid-90s booking at times, but overall a solid B.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i got backlash 2003 featuring the rock vs goldberg and lesnar vs john cena. i'll get to it within a few days.

Golashes posted:

Now there's a ladder match between Jericho and Christian. That sounds rad.

i remember this ladder match being really awesome but also really scary in spots

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 8, 2016

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I got March 2007. There were no pay-per-views in March 2007.

Would that mean I take Mania? That was on April 1, and it means I get to watch Vince's Hair vs Trump's Hair.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
No Way Out 2005

God dammit

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

-Vince is welcoming me to the greatest show of all time! Wrestlemania! And his co-host, Susan St. James. Who?

-Ray Charles to sing "America The Beautiful"! This is already looking up! It ends with a full-screen picture of Hulk, the most beautiful thing in America.

-Roddy Piper is being interviewed and says he grew his hair out long so we can tell him apart from Mr. T. Piper says if Mr. T knocks him out, he’ll retire from boxing, wrestling, and dating girls.

-First match! Don Muraco w/ Mr. Fuji (RIP) vs. Paul Orndorff. Magnificent vs. Wonderful.

-Susan suggest Orndorff is using “ancient Chinese torture techniques” - an armbar.

-Match ends when they tumble outside and someone does something? “Bullshit” chants from the crowd!

-They cut to Mr. T cutting a promo while we wait for the official announcement. They’re now talking over each other, though there’s some boos from the crowd. Who knows what happened? Wiki says double countout, which was super fast.

-Second match! Intercontinental Championship match: George “The Animal” Steele vs. Randy “Macho Man” Savage (c) w/ Miss Elizabeth.

-Vince clarifies that Steele is covered in HAIR not FUR.

-Steele keeps biting Savage. Surely this is illegal, ref!

-Savage wins with his feet on the ropes! That cheater! I hopeJ Jack Tunney has something to say about this tomorrow on Raw!

-Third match: George Wells vs. Jake “The Snake” Roberts. Not much to say here. It was a match that Roberts won. He’s wrapping his python on Wells though!

-Here’s the big match! Piper vs. Mr. T! Or not!

-Jesse Ventura is in LA with Hogan for a promo. This multi-location thing is weird.

-Joan Rivers is here as guest ring announcer. It’s wonderful! It’s just incredible! We have a guest time keeper, too! Herb!

-Mr T. is doing lots of body shots. This is really dull. Mr. T wins by DQ in the fourth round. Thank god. Moving on.

-Oh my god there’s still two hours of this.

-Fifth match: Fabulous Moolah vs. Velvet McIntyre. Velvet is not wearing boots, though this is surprisingly fast. Hah whole match was like two minutes.

-Sixth match: Corporal Kirchner vs. Nikolai Volkoff w/ Freddie Blassie. USA vs. USSR! USA won after a short match, of course.

-Seventh match: WWE vs. NFL battle royal. What. Calling this “wrestling” is being very generous. Andre the Giant wins by throwing out Bret Hart.

-Back to New York to interview Piper post-loss!

-Back to LA with Mean Gene to talk to Jimbo Colberton and the Iron Sheik.

-Eighth match: WWF Tag Team Championship match: The British Bulldogs w/ Ozzy Osbourne and Lou Albano vs. The Dream Team (c). Ozzy is wearing a pink suit. Sure. Why not? Gotta wonder if he and Savage had a coke snorting competition in the back. This is the best match so far. That should tell you a lot about how dire this show is. Bulldogs win! We have new champs!

-We’re back to LA with Jesse Ventura, Lord Alfred Hayes, and Elvira, because why not?

-Ninth match: Hercules Hernandez vs. Ricky Steamboat. This area looks half empty. Ricky wins. Perfectly okay match.

-Tenth match: Adrian Adonis w/ Jimmy Hart vs. Uncle Elmer. Adonis appears to be wearing a nightgown. Adonis wins. Wheeeeee.

-Hulk’s talking to Hayes and says he’s definitely gonna beat Bundy in THE STEEL CAGE BROTHER.

-11th match: Terry Funk and Hoss Funk w/ Jimmy Hart vs. Tito Santana and Junk Yard Dog. Man Terry was old 30 years ago. Glad he’s finally retired. I’m sure it’ll last! Terry does some nasty chops! Terry goes through a tablet! He’s hardcore! He’s hardcore! The Funks win after hitting JYD with the megaphone!

-Time for the main main event as they assemble the cage. They’re now showing Bundy fight Hulk the previous Saturday, injuring the Hulkster! Hulk’s now doing HEAVY CHINS while injured! He’s amazing! Bundy’s lack of eyebrows is creepy. More special guests including a guest timekeeper! Huge pop for the Hulkster! Oh man some color on Bundy. I really hate the booking where people suddenly forget how to exit through a door. Hulk wins, to no surprise.

What a turd of a show.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I'm writing way too much about this dogshit show, but at least I'm not alone in doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Random PPV Review: Great American Bash 2007

I completely missed this section of WWE, having dropped interest in 2001 until Wrestle Kingdom 9 in January '15 reignited my interest. I have no idea about any of these things, so this should be, well, interesting.

Introduction
Mmm, just what I love the most. A super patriotic stage/graphics presentation.

Cole and JBL are on commentary for SD, King/JR for Raw, and Tazz/Joey Styles for ECW. Remember when WWE brought back ECW? I don't. I didn't watch it, but I hear it was occasionally pretty ok if you never watched Classic ECW.

US Championship match (SD): Matt Hardy vs MVP (c)
No video package, just a few replays from past weeks. MVP has an Overdrive finisher, that's cool. MVP is wearing a weird, shiny silver, black and purple spandex onesie, which is a bad look. Matt has filthy-looking teal pants, and zero charisma, however, he can apparently slam a tornado.

The first minute has lots of armwringers and heel MVP stalling. Both men have similar gear detailing. Matt has lots of shiny metal poo poo on his pants, while MVP has lots of studs on his arms? Or maybe those are faux diamonds? Either way, lots of metal and hard things on your gear seems like a bad plan.

This match is pretty boring, as you can tell by the last paragraph. It's perfectly competent technical WWE-style wrestling, but you'd think that they'd put something a bit hotter on first. I don't get why people speak well of MVP. Haha, Matt bites MVP's leg to escape a sitting Rings of Saturn-esque submission. That rules.

MVP keeps the heat pretty much the whole time. Matt gets a hope spot, but slips going to the top, which was apparently the cue for MVP to get up and hit a nice superplex. They go back up to the top, where they do a falling nothing. I really don't know how to describe it. Both men are facing away from the ring, MVP on the inside. It looks like MVP was going for a top-rope flatliner, which seems like the dumbest thing I can possibly think of, but Matt turns around so he falls on MVP like it was a cross-body? Cole calls it a counter into a "semi-bulldog", which is stupid. Whatever it was, it was bad.

I sure wrote a lot about a mediocre match. MVP's strategy for this match is pounding on Matt's head, which is probably nixed nowadays, so that's pretty interesting. Matt hits the Side Effect, MVP misses the Playmaker and big boot, but takes another big boot and an absolutely HORRIBLE Overdrive to win. How do you take a loving Overdrive on your knees, Matt. How do you do that.

**1/4

Dusty Rhodes Promo! Dusty is unhappy with how somber the event is. He apparently has a bullrope match with Orton. He gives a decent Dusty promo about Orton giving him respect. He also talks about cows and moos into the camera. So, that's a thing.

Cruiserweight Championship multiman (SD)

I'm going to just list out who comes down and give a thought.

Jimmy Wang Yang. I don't understand. Is he supposed to be Chinese? He just looks like a regular southern country-boy stereotype wrestler with a funny name.

Shannon Moore. He's... a guy. That's cool. Jimmy took his hat off, and it's obvious he's Chinese now.

Funaki! gently caress yeah!

Jamie Noble. He's another Just A Guy. Though, he's not stabbed here, which is for the best really.

Chavo is champion? That's cool. I like Chavo, probably because I haven't watched him wrestle except in LU.

Hornswaggle leaps into the ring just in time for the bell, and immediately dives out. Oh... Oh no. Oh dear. I know where this is going.

Everyone beats the hell out of Chavo immediately, which is pretty good. Cole talks about his latina wife for some reason.

The crowd is deathly silent, and just as i notice it, so does Chavo, who plays to them for a second before doing a neat double-rollthrough with JYW, into a single leg crab. Everyone is pretty competent in this, but it hurts that they're doing slow wrestling, one at a time. There's five (six if you count Swoggle) people but everyone is taking more naps than Roman until its their turn to break up a pin and take the heat for a bit.

JWY has a beautiful moonsault. I'm most impressed by him thus far, honestly. There's a good stacked superplex spot, Noble on bottom, Chavo in the middle, and JWY on top. It's good, but nothing special. Noble is hurt from basically giving Chavo an electric chair drop somehow. Hornswoggle appears from nowhere and frog splashes Noble. The ref is confused and looks outside the ring, and then counts 3.

Hornswoggle dances on Cole/JBL's desk to celebrate. He then escapes under the ring as the actual wrestlers chase him, and immediately give up as he exits on the other side. They're all confused and angry, with big dumb amazed faces.

Horrible.

1/2

35 minutes in, and JR calls it an "auspicious start". This is gonna be a bad show.

Lashley vs Cena promo package. Inspirational music behind Lashley debuting, beating JBL, Show to win the ECW title (Which was that "amazing" December to Dismember, if I remember correctly). This is boring and I stopped listening

Singapole Cane on a Pole match: Sandman vs Carlito (RAW)
Sandman comes in to a not-remotely-Enter-Sandman theme. It's really bad. King says he looks different. More "well-balanced". I assume that means sober. No one has told me who the opponent is yet. JR keeps saying vague things like "his opponent" so I'm assuming he forgot too.

It's Carlito, I guess! I've never seen Carlito match, so that could be interesting. "I spit at people who don't want to be cool" is a bad line to open your music on. He spits apple at Sandman (I feel like this may be a one-note gimmck), which IMMEDIATELY cuts his music for some reason. Sandman is so angry that he chases Carlito outside, then back in, into a collar-and-elbow tieup.

They wrestle for a bit, and Sandman spends a good 45 seconds trying to pull Carlito's shorts down as he was going for the pole. Make your own joke. Sandman grabs the cane, jumps down and swings, but Carlito dodges, hits him with a lungblower and gets 3. Booooooo.

Orton gives a promo about giving Shawn Micheals a concussion and memory issues. Cool.

Women's Championship: Melina vs Candice Michelle (c) (RAW)
Melina is a barracuda I guess, but she was doing sexy ninja poses, so I don't know how those two things combine.

Candice undoes her robe in a sexy dancy way. Sure are a lot of empty seats in the arena right now. Nice back-bridge, backslide spots. Nothing fancy, but it seems these women are at least semi-competent.

Melina please stop screaming. She does Sasha's corner-knee drop spot, and a straight jacket drop into a lovely arm stretch thing, while King talks about how much he wants to bang one of them. I stopped listening to him. Candice has a really bad comeback, and nothing she does looks remotely impactful. The crowd is more into this than the Cruiserweight match.

oh my god stop screaming

Candice has a really nice looking running spinning heel kick, but it doesn't land, and freezes my stream. She drops Melina's chin onto her own head, which would probably actually really hurt, and then wins with a... standing bulldog. She does a completely unnecessary thing with Melina's arms to get her into a battering-ram position, and then just jumps into the air and lands on her rear end, bringing Melina with her. That's her finish. Wow.
King says that is probably her new move, the Candy Wrapper. Awful.

*3/4

Matt tells Jeff to stay focused. Candice sexily grabs a water, and pours it all over herself while porn music plays. I'm pretty sure that this was shot at two different times. This sure is a long segment. She pours another bottle over herself and hairwhips, while the Jeff forgets what he's supposed to be looking at, and Matt makes Cornette faces.

Farooq appears, and gets wide-eyed as Matt makes meaningful head nods towards the not-actually-there Candice. Farooq says "...Daaamn" as a punchline.

The first hour is over, and nothing has passed two stars.

IC Championship: Jeff Hardy vs Umaga (c) (RAW)
Jeff is still using the classic Hardyz theme, and poses. There's apparently no background for this match, except for JR's "he lost the title and this is a rematch". Thanks. Boy oh boy Umaga is nearly Wild Samoan level of unfortunate portrayal. At least he has good music.

Umaga and Jeff have a by-the-books Big Guy vs Small Guy match. Umaga takes the heat pretty much from the start. There's a bunch of samoan drops, headbutts and a NECK CLAW. Holy poo poo this claw spot is taking forever. Seriously, estimating by what I've seen so far, and how long the timeline is before the next match, it's at least a quarter of the match. Jeff punches his way out, and tries to slam Umaga, but falls backwards, dropping Umaga onto him. Umaga gives him two safe-looking Banzai drops on the ropes, before Jeff gets his knees up into the crotch on the third.

Jeff comes up off the top and gets caught, and gets TOSSED with a great spinning sidewalk slam. That ruled. Umaga lands on his knees coming off the middle rope with a missed headbutt, as Hardy makes his comeback, culminating in a nice leap to the floor. Umaga has a great Aloha spot in response to a sunset flip, before missing an rear end drop.

Jeff hits a corkscrew off the top for a near fall, which is apparently now called the Twist of Fate, instead of the neckbreaker thing it used to be? Umaga posts himself, and Jeff hits a Swanton for another near fall. He goes for the former Twist neckbreaker, but Jeff RAGDOLLS for Umaga's short arm lariat, and takes the fall. Umaga holds the belt in his teeth because he's a racist stereotype.

There's a Cena package for the Cena/Lashley match. RUTHLESS AGGRESSION. It's fine, but unremarkable.

ECW Championship Match: John Morrison (c) vs CM Punk
John Morrison enters first, for reasons. We get a replay last week's ECW, which is a promo and cheap shot. CM Punk doesn't have Cult of Personality yet, which sucks. The camera zooms in on a 16-year old blonde with a Punk sign. Thanks, Kevin.

Punk takes early heat, nothing really noteworthy. Morrison takes a HELL of a monkey flip, doing a full rotation and landing flat on his stomach. That ruled. Morrison trips Punk on the stairs, and Punk falls on the actual stairs. It looked unpleasant.

JoMo takes the heat for a bit, and Punk takes it back with a counter off the top, with JoMo landing face. He gets caught grabbing the rope on a pin, and Punk rolls him up in response. Morrison takes his belt and starts heading home, but is thrown back in, and Punk goes for a springboard shoulderblock, which is countered by a kick to the thigh apparently, which is enough to pin Punk.

Eyeballing it on the timeline, it looks like this match got the same amount as the Women's title.

**1/4.

I'm really surprised how nothing has really caught me in this. Everything is so short and mediocre. I would be so angry if I had spent fifty bucks on this.
Nice package for Rhodes/Orton. It's full of Dusty being good and Randy is there too. This has actually got me kind of hyped for what is going to be a lovely gimmick match with a fat old man, which I can see will only last like five minutes.

Texas Bullrope Match: Dusty Rhodes vs Randy Orton (RAW)
Man, nothing puts a big dumb smile on my face like Dusty's Common Man Boogie. He's the American Dream after all. Orton came out first, but who cares.
Orton does the thing where he keeps bailing when confronted with being attached to the rope. The crowd starts booing at the third time.

Dusty's smile and posture starting this match, man, he's so good at what he does. Randy takes a great bump when Dusty yanks the rope out from under him, and when he gets flipped by the rope being between his legs. Dusty doesn't have to actually do anything, Randy is just bumping around everywhere for Dusty. This match is great. Dusty only had to take one stumbling bump when Randy hit him in the knee with the bell, and he then works, and goes into a rope-assisted headlock.

Dusty tries to get the crowd behind him, but they seem pretty tired and aren't giving him much. He eventually gives up and starts a comeback by getting up, but is forced into the corner, while Randy works him over. Dusty comes back with his dancing punches and bionic elbow, before missing an elbow drop. Orton hits him with one big bell shot for the win.

Dusty only had to take three bumps, so good for him.

Post match, Orton goes for the punt, but Cody grabs the bell and fends him off.

***. It's technically not very good, and very short, but it was perfect for what it was. It's still the best thing on the show to this point.

There's a package for the triple threat, full of epic music, and shows Khali winning the championship in a battle royale after Edge was hurt. What change there. The rest is pretty boring and I don't care enough to type about it.

World Heavyweight Championship: Great Khali (c) vs Kane vs Batista (SD)
Kane doesn't have a mask, and it sucks. Oh, his song has lyrics too. That's pretty unnecessary. Also, his head is half-shaved. That's dumb. The other two come out, too.

Khali is so completely immobile. Kane and Batista are taking loving silly rear end bumps for this lump. Kane got hiptossed. When does that even happen. Everyone is tossed outside, and Khali tears apart the ECW announce table, as the cameraman stumbles backwards and nearly trips over Kane. There's some mediocre striking, until Kane and Batista put Khali through the table, his only bump thus far (My guess is he's going to take a nap for a while, while the other two have a passable match until near the finish).

They have a big man match for a while, until Kane hits the top rope lariat, and signals the chokeslam. Khali stumbles back into the ring, and Kane hits him instead, and Khali takes another nap. They go outside for a bit, and Batista goes back in to hit a spinebuster on Khali so he can go back outside again, everyone else can fight in the ring for a while.

Kane grabs a chair, but Batista blocks it and spinebusters him, and hits a Batista Bomb. Khali pulls him out immediately, and sends him into the stairs. Khali "slams" Kane by picking him up and just dropping him on his back for the win.

*1/4

Eyeballing it, it looks like there's about a 20 minute section of nothing. I'm sure glad Punk/Morrison got 7 minutes so we can apparently get a King Booker segment instead.

Booker is complaining that HHH is calling himself the King of Kings. He had a HHH RETURNS AT SUMMERSLAM teaser before, you see. Booker then yells at "Jerome" Lawler, and demands he bow to Booker and relinquish his crown. Lawler tells him to come and take it. Booker calls it an act of treason. This segment sucks and is taking FOREVER. Booker slowly walks back up the ramp. The gently caress was that segment.

There's a combined version of the previous promos, but this time everyone else is talking about how this is a dream match. Flair, Foley, Austin, Batista (?), JBL. Everyone has generic things to say! Holy poo poo is that spinner belt UGLY.

WWE Championship:John Cena vs Bobby Lashley (RAW)
Cena has had this RAPADOO music even back in 2007. That's a long time to have the same song nowadays. Lashley has a drat good vertical leap.
They lock up as JR talks about Cena's steel blue eyes. The gently caress. Slow start, with a test of strength, into a nice Lashley amateur exposition. Cena takes the heat, and a stream of boos erupts from the crowd.

JR says "It's the amateur background of Lashley verses the streetfighting and other abilities of Cena". Jesus christ, JR. Get off his dick. At some point, Lashley got a small cut on his head. Probably hardway, otherwise its the lamest bladejob ever. Also, its on top of his head.

Huh, since when did Cena do a running blockbuster? And he definitely doesn't do a top rope legdrop anymore.

They have a WWE Main Event match, it's perfectly acceptable. Lashley does the Rack Attack, and then Cena hits the AA FU, and they double-down.

Lashley tries a spear, but gets drop-toe'd, and Cena lightly cuddles Lashley's cheeks in the STF(U). Lashley gets to the ropes and spears Cena for a 2. They fight to the top, and Cena hits him with the FU from the second rope to win. Not an Avalanche, where he jumps down too. He just throws the poor bastard down from the top.

Post match handshake, and Lashley walks back, absolutely glistening with sweat.

***1/2
This seemed like a **** on paper, but it never grabbed me emotionally. They did a bunch of moves and then Cena won.

Overall
This show was dogshit.

The only title change was to bury the Cruiserweight division. Nothing mattered on this show, and half of the matches were under 10 minutes long.

Nothing grabbed me emotionally, and there were only two actually good matches on the show.

**1/4 overall at best.

Also, why did you even have an ECW table out there if they only had one 7-minute match. For real.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 8, 2016

• Locked thread