Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Horde is pretty grindy overall, not sure if you get more EXP for higher diffs though, thing is the higher diffs are clearly designed with leveled classes in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Played a bunch more rounds of MP and my opinion has gotten a lot better. Arms race is a fantastic game mode but I only got to play it once before people voted for gridlock warzone twice in a loving row.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

My console and game should be here tomorrow I added everyone that's posted their GT already. We should get some games going this weekend. Does anyone use discord? I can make one. Or all in game?

sp00nman
May 14, 2004

All this Christmas spirit is gives me a raging boner!
My GT is Hairy Sasquatch and I am on PC only.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Played a bunch more rounds of MP and my opinion has gotten a lot better. Arms race is a fantastic game mode but I only got to play it once before people voted for gridlock warzone twice in a loving row.

I am so loving sick of gridlock, yea that's what I wanna do in Gears 4, constantly play a map that I first played 10 loving years ago, it doesn't help that people constantly vote for TDM type modes in those playlists.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Hoo boy. Not sure if I'm even gonna bite the bullet and grab this on PC yet. Is what I read true?

Alteisen posted:

Also one thing anyone interested in PvP must know, according to one of the developers poo poo does more damage in social play and bullets magnetize more, its the opposite in competitive, no clue why they did this poo poo.

That's one of the strangest ways to compromise something that I've ever heard of. And anyone who doesn't know better will feel like things are bullshit or off between the two.

What's worse, this is only slightly better than Gears of War 1 and 2's major flaw that was never ever patched: Hosts (1 player per game) were the only ones who had bullet magnetism while every other player had to make a direct projectile-to-character-model hit with no leniency. So, take a host who has 0 latency and add in an extremely generous window when aiming and you had one of the most frustrated player bases in history.

Fast Forward to Gears 3, this was fixed but with my lesser preferred of two options where magnetism applied to all as opposed to none for all. Gnashers shooting the empty breeze next to you would be a big ol' gib. Oh and let's not forget; Anya and similar small character models were in no way matched to others in terms of hit box and were unarguably advantageous in that respect. This was denied (or rather obliviously written off) by Rod Fergusson and never addressed to my knowledge. No idea if this was fixed in Judgement, or if they even had tiny character models.

Anyone know how Gears 4 stacks up to this? Is the completely empty space near Anya's neck, that would be filled up by a Theron Guard's pauldron, still not matched up across other character hotboxes? Do the weapons feel good? I'm just not sold on another Gears after dealing with 7+ years of ineptitude.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Arms Race is so much fun and I also love Dodgeball, a lot.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

empathe posted:

Arms Race is so much fun and I also love Dodgeball, a lot.

What's it play like? I never saw it come up in the vote and it's literally impossible to find a match outside of the social playlist.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What's it play like? I never saw it come up in the vote and it's literally impossible to find a match outside of the social playlist.

Dodgeball is AWESOME.

It's like Prisonball.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisonball

If you die, you're out unless someone on your team gets a kill, which puts you on a respawn timer. As long as you have at least 1 surviving teammate when the time expires, you respawn. Enemy team is on the same rules. You go until one team is eliminated.

You end up getting a lot of natural swings between 2 v 5 and 5 v 2 usually. It's very fun and really gives you that last man out savior feeling if you pull off a crazy comeback, which isn't really possible anymore in TDM since you are usually 1 vs. 5 (with 3 respawns) or whatever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All the core modes are pretty fun except for KOTH. People rag on Gears being a mindless shotgun fest but KOTH is really the epitome of that.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

All the core modes are pretty fun except for KOTH. People rag on Gears being a mindless shotgun fest but KOTH is really the epitome of that.

KOTH is good for two things (which are really the same thing).
Grinding points and grinding kills for bounties.

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

gonger posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the best way to farm XP in Horde mode? I just wanna get level 3 for the classes I play so they can equip two skills.

A few data points:
Wave 50 Normal 5025xp 132 credits
Wave 19 Hardcore 5267xp 90 credits
Wave 9 Hardcore 2816xp 52 credits

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Horde mode is loving fantastic. my GT is Monk Esquire hit me up if y'all wanna pop some heads.
I added you, as well as trying to clear out the rest of my friend list because I don't know half of the people on this list.

Do we still have to use ridiculous 'meta-tags' to join up with goons or does Xbox Live have a better system for grouping now?

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Pierson posted:

I added you, as well as trying to clear out the rest of my friend list because I don't know half of the people on this list.

Do we still have to use ridiculous 'meta-tags' to join up with goons or does Xbox Live have a better system for grouping now?

They increased the friends list limit to something like 1000, from the 100 it used to be, so the meta tags aren't needed anymore, thankfully.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
There's also clubs if you're in preview.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh man that's great, I played a few XBL games with goons way back then and still had stuff like "GoonsofWar2", "CastleGooners" and "GoonFighter4" friended. Dark times pals.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So one thing I've never gotten. We're the locusts a species before all that stuff with the lab in gears 2, or are they just an experiment gone bad?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So one thing I've never gotten. We're the locusts a species before all that stuff with the lab in gears 2, or are they just an experiment gone bad?

I think the drones were always supposed to be mutated humans while the more wild creatures were just things that lived underground that the locust tamed.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Skills slowly coming back!
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/HungryForApples/video/22425584

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I lust for Horde death on the pc, if anyone's interested. Xcube tag-thingy is Micon Tulee.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AchyHippo/video/22425903

Teammate please.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So, first impressions are: this game is very loving pretty. Second impression is: this cover system is almost as clunky as Deus Ex Mankind Divided, but the gunplay is pretty decent. Third impression: J.D, Dell and Oscar are all trying to be the wiseass of the group and none of them are particularly good at it. Also, J.D looks like Bradley Cooper if he had mumps.

I just beat the campaign(never been a big mutiplayer person, may do hoard later.) i was mixed. some of the ideas are ok(the new cog/deebees) but the swarm is weird middle ground of ok ideas mixed with dumb ones. they are the locaust if they ripped off every "infection/hive mind" idea but with none of the locusts personality. plus, 4 felt weirdly jokey alot. yeah like some of the ideas/jokes worked but it felt way too meta at times verging almost on marvel movie territory. it was weird. plus some of the chapters felt way too long for their own good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I just beat the campaign(never been a big mutiplayer person, may do hoard later.) i was mixed. some of the ideas are ok(the new cog/deebees) but the swarm is weird middle ground of ok ideas mixed with dumb ones. they are the locaust if they ripped off every "infection/hive mind" idea but with none of the locusts personality. plus, 4 felt weirdly jokey alot. yeah like some of the ideas/jokes worked but it felt way too meta at times verging almost on marvel movie territory. it was weird. plus some of the chapters felt way too long for their own good.

I'm working through act 3 and I definitely see where you are coming from. The plot's tone is all over the place because JD and Del have to be the Marcus/Dom straight routine as well as the Baird/Cole comedy duo at the same time. So you go from serious to out of place comedy at a moment's notice and all it does is make it feel like nobody is taking things seriously. That being said, grumpy old man Marcus is pretty amusing.
I also feel like there is a huge disconnect between the endless poo poo with the Deebees at the start to then start dealing with the main threat of the game in the third act. Fighting a billion robots across Marcus's city sized estate got frustrating really quick, but then they've just dropped off the planet so the game can do Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
The original game is no great story, but it did a good job of introducing the characters and setting things up for the sequels which do it a whole lot better, but I feel like they skipped a beat here and just dumped JD and Del into the players lap without telling them thing one about who they are and why they do stuff.
Also, the score sounds like stuff Ramin Djawadi tossed from his Pacific Rim soundtrack for being too generic.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So Horde mode awards credits every ten waves and not when you fail/win? Because every pubby group really does just quit at wave 20, wow.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I've yet to see a pub group beat wave 20 on normal. And use target marking, for that matter.

Also goddammit stop trying to swipe the power drops from under me I've got the bonus power card so the engineers can actually play with buildings somewhat holy poo poo stop it do you guys not want turrets

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Alteisen posted:

I am so loving sick of gridlock, yea that's what I wanna do in Gears 4, constantly play a map that I first played 10 loving years ago, it doesn't help that people constantly vote for TDM type modes in those playlists.

It works out for the Counter-Strike guys.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's because I've played so much Mass Effect 3 multiplayer since Gears 3, but I do wish there were a shorter version of Horde for public games with a faster difficulty ramp-up. OR I'd even be okay with them going back to how it was in the early days of Gears 2 Horde, where the game just ended when your group wiped. I much prefer it as a how-far-can-we-get-without-wiping type of game. 50 rounds + infinite continues often does turn into a situation where I'm like "ugh, not sure I want to commit to this but I don't want to be a lovely quitter either".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm working through act 3 and I definitely see where you are coming from. The plot's tone is all over the place because JD and Del have to be the Marcus/Dom straight routine as well as the Baird/Cole comedy duo at the same time. So you go from serious to out of place comedy at a moment's notice and all it does is make it feel like nobody is taking things seriously. That being said, grumpy old man Marcus is pretty amusing.
I also feel like there is a huge disconnect between the endless poo poo with the Deebees at the start to then start dealing with the main threat of the game in the third act. Fighting a billion robots across Marcus's city sized estate got frustrating really quick, but then they've just dropped off the planet so the game can do Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
The original game is no great story, but it did a good job of introducing the characters and setting things up for the sequels which do it a whole lot better, but I feel like they skipped a beat here and just dumped JD and Del into the players lap without telling them thing one about who they are and why they do stuff.
Also, the score sounds like stuff Ramin Djawadi tossed from his Pacific Rim soundtrack for being too generic.

yeah. i may end up trading it in at some point. its not a bad game at all. but it just drags at points especially in act 3 and 4. gears 2 and 3 and judgement(1 hasnt aged well for me at all(gameplay wise)) all had enough differences in there various levels/story that it worked. yeah gears isnt the deepest best story, but the universe works pretty well. they didnt do bad here per say but they didnt really change enough apart from making the COG more outwardly bad(they were already but its either them or death by mole people) and the problem with the swarm is they feel like the Chimera from the resistance games but with the locust paint job. plus the locust arnt even dead, they just went into comas and evoled making all the bullshit from 3 annoyinly pointless, plus the twist at the end was could be seen a mile a way. also it doesnt know what tone is at in the last half. one second its serious, the next its whedon poo poo. I think the collation did a decent job jump starting the series(better then what ever the gently caress halo has turned into.) but i am still disipointed. least the game play is still solid.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Agoat posted:

It works out for the Counter-Strike guys.

A good, balanced map is timeless. I'd rather have Gridlock in over a new map that might not play well. I'm glad it was the only old map brought back so far, though, and I generally like all 9 new maps.

Though The Dam lags terribly for me now on Xbox One since the last title update :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenHeart posted:

I've yet to see a pub group beat wave 20 on normal. And use target marking, for that matter.

Also goddammit stop trying to swipe the power drops from under me I've got the bonus power card so the engineers can actually play with buildings somewhat holy poo poo stop it do you guys not want turrets

I'm at the point where I'm not even using the more power drop thing with the scout, I tell them to let me grab it and they just swipe it from under me or race me to it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Played on Xbox with yayo today it was great but I'm playing on PC currently and with the increased for and overall speed being faster it's perfect but holy poo poo PC loves the lancer.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

RBX posted:

Played on Xbox with yayo today it was great but I'm playing on PC currently and with the increased for and overall speed being faster it's perfect but holy poo poo PC loves the lancer.

Mouse aiming will definitely favor Lancer.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Double exp friends, let's get those horde classes up.

GT is AchyHippo, I'm on right now, PC or Bone is fine with me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah Gears isn't the deepest best story, but the universe works pretty well. They didn't do bad here per se, but they didn't really change enough apart from making the COG more outwardly bad(they were already but its either them or death by mole people) and the problem with the Swarm is they feel like the Chimera from the resistance games but with the Locust paint job. Plus, the Locust arn't even dead, they just went into comas and evolved, making all the bullshit from 3 annoyingly pointless, plus the twist at the end was could be seen a mile a way. Also, it doesn't know what tone is at in the last half. One second its serious, the next it's Whedon poo poo. I think the collation did a decent job jump starting the series(better then whatever the gently caress halo has turned into.)

Locust appear from Emergence Holes, Swarm appear from goo bags, they're just gooey Locusts. And the reason for them snatching people to make more Swarm members is really baffling to me. If the Locust are actually mutant humans, why would they decide to launch a genocidal campaign in the first place to kill everyone on the surface, if they need to harvest them to make new Locusts/Swarm? The only way I can rationalize the lab section in Gears 2 so that this whole thing isn't stupid is that the Sires there were Human/Locust hybrids as part of a COG experiment to merge the two species, rather than the Locusts having an entire billions strong population complete with gigantic underground cities and their own Riftworm God form over the course of the Pendulum Wars with a culture less than a century old.

The gameplay is really fun, but the story feels like it is going through the same motions as Halo 4 and 5. They start out with something new-ish (Halo forerunner robots, Gears Deebees) before contriving a lame excuse to keep fighting the oldschool enemies (Covenant rebels who don't follow the Arbiter, Swarm just being Gooey Locusts). I'd honestly have more respect for them if they didn't keep insisting that the Swarm are anything but Locusts, because it was obvious from the moment Reyna fought a brick shithouse in the village that had its face "cleverly" obscured. Also like Halo 4 onwards, I feel like they are delving waay too far into novel and comic references that only a handful of the gamers have actually read. If you need to read a compendium to understand what is going on in your game, you've done something wrong.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Kinda pissed that Amazon stopped the Gears promotion for buying a video card. I'd get it from another retailer, but I won't have enough before the promotion ends and already sunk some money into Amazon credit the day before they dropped it. May have to hold off on buying it full price, which is pretty lame.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just hope they use Kait being the locust queen's granddaughter as an excuse to explain more what the locust really were and why a human was leading them in Gears 5.

Not that the writing was ever anything special in these games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Locust appear from Emergence Holes, Swarm appear from goo bags, they're just gooey Locusts. And the reason for them snatching people to make more Swarm members is really baffling to me. If the Locust are actually mutant humans, why would they decide to launch a genocidal campaign in the first place to kill everyone on the surface, if they need to harvest them to make new Locusts/Swarm? The only way I can rationalize the lab section in Gears 2 so that this whole thing isn't stupid is that the Sires there were Human/Locust hybrids as part of a COG experiment to merge the two species, rather than the Locusts having an entire billions strong population complete with gigantic underground cities and their own Riftworm God form over the course of the Pendulum Wars with a culture less than a century old.

The gameplay is really fun, but the story feels like it is going through the same motions as Halo 4 and 5. They start out with something new-ish (Halo forerunner robots, Gears Deebees) before contriving a lame excuse to keep fighting the oldschool enemies (Covenant rebels who don't follow the Arbiter, Swarm just being Gooey Locusts). I'd honestly have more respect for them if they didn't keep insisting that the Swarm are anything but Locusts, because it was obvious from the moment Reyna fought a brick shithouse in the village that had its face "cleverly" obscured. Also like Halo 4 onwards, I feel like they are delving waay too far into novel and comic references that only a handful of the gamers have actually read. If you need to read a compendium to understand what is going on in your game, you've done something wrong.

yeah. it sucks because i always liked the locusts because they had a weird air of mystery around them and there were different theories in a game to where they could have come from or what their whole deal is. they had a cool astetic to them and had cool organic based tech and beasts and all the drone varients looked cool as gently caress. and they were sorta original at least for the time. but the swarm sucks, its the same "hive virus that "infects and taints the enviroment" everything and their are tenticals everywhere". it just reminded me of prototype and the resistance series. plus they dont have any personality. now they just say "detroy" 20 times before you pop their heads. least the locust drones had more lines. and what was with the crystal locust being all vocal in a clever brute way. i guess its a hive mind or some poo poo(it says it is, but i dont think the locust were ever one to begin with) alot of the elements felt like they wanted to take what was in other games and try to insert it into their game with mixed results. for example the humor. sure that works in uncharted and other games like that. but those games now how to do tone,(gently caress even the old gears new how to do tone)

but yeah, it reminds me alot of halo 4 and 5. but i still weirdly think this is better. the problem with new halos is they feel half baked on all levels. loving 5 especially. I remember listing to that dumb audio drama/podcast thing, both seasons, and it had jackshit to do with the game. instead the game is about chief basically getting a parking ticket and boring stoic man has to deliver it to him, covenant ISIS leader(who was one of the only sorta interesting character) is killed in the first level, because the devs want more lovely loving Promethean. the thing is gears also had expanded universe poo poo and alot of it was kinda meh, but at least they used it in the games. halo doesn't even do that right. either way. i'll probaly end up getting/renting gears 5 when it inevitably comes out.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Are bounty cards like the "kill 500 enemies" and "survive 1-x waves as y" accumulative? As in, I can kill 500 enemies over different horde matches or start the match on later waves to complete a card? Some of these cards look downright impossible to accomplish in one game with pubs.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. it sucks because i always liked the locusts because they had a weird air of mystery around them and there were different theories in a game to where they could have come from or what their whole deal is. they had a cool astetic to them and had cool organic based tech and beasts and all the drone varients looked cool as gently caress. and they were sorta original at least for the time. but the swarm sucks, its the same "hive virus that "infects and taints the enviroment" everything and their are tenticals everywhere". it just reminded me of prototype and the resistance series. plus they dont have any personality. now they just say "detroy" 20 times before you pop their heads. least the locust drones had more lines. and what was with the crystal locust being all vocal in a clever brute way. i guess its a hive mind or some poo poo(it says it is, but i dont think the locust were ever one to begin with) alot of the elements felt like they wanted to take what was in other games and try to insert it into their game with mixed results. for example the humor. sure that works in uncharted and other games like that. but those games now how to do tone,(gently caress even the old gears new how to do tone)

but yeah, it reminds me alot of halo 4 and 5. but i still weirdly think this is better. the problem with new halos is they feel half baked on all levels. loving 5 especially. I remember listing to that dumb audio drama/podcast thing, both seasons, and it had jackshit to do with the game. instead the game is about chief basically getting a parking ticket and boring stoic man has to deliver it to him, covenant ISIS leader(who was one of the only sorta interesting character) is killed in the first level, because the devs want more lovely loving Promethean. the thing is gears also had expanded universe poo poo and alot of it was kinda meh, but at least they used it in the games. halo doesn't even do that right. either way. i'll probaly end up getting/renting gears 5 when it inevitably comes out.

I think The Coalition failed to understand the black humor of GoW1-3 and decided any old jokes would do! I also think Del was maybe supposed to be Diet Cole-train but his lines were almost always awful and/or delivered badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

I think The Coalition failed to understand the black humor of GoW1-3 and decided any old jokes would do! I also think Del was maybe supposed to be Diet Cole-train but his lines were almost always awful and/or delivered badly.

this. the humor from the originals and judgment were from baird(pessimistic and attempts at optimism) and cole(one liners and light hearted stuff) and how loving awful the cog is. in this it was just Del shrinking out whedon meta lines every other second. i dont think he ever had a serious line in the game. he was literally just the funny/wacky black friend. and sure the "all clear" was alright the first time. but then they just kept running it into the ground like loving whedon does. honestly the humor was one of the worst parts for me. the only good parts were marcus being old. I mean i am thankful its not on borderlands/battleborn/anthony burch level humor. but its still disappointing.

• Locked thread