Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I've heard Nassau is a terrible place, but that was from suburbanites whose opinions I don't particularly value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Real Name Grover posted:

I've heard Nassau is a terrible place, but that was from suburbanites whose opinions I don't particularly value.

I gather that outside of the tourist-friendly areas, the Caribbean is a pretty bleak and dangerous place. 11 of the top 21 countries by murder rate are Caribbean island nations, and another three are Central American countries with coastline on the Caribbean. So yeah, 2/3 of the world's most murdery places are in that little region.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Real Name Grover posted:

My opinions of Nassau are colored by Black Sails so I just assume there are pirate ships and gently caress tents everywhere

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If you're not going to like, a NY6 bowl, then you may as well go to a tropical island for your bowl. It beats the poo poo out of Detroit or Idaho in my book.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Bahamas bowl has ruled every year

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Pakled posted:

If you're not going to like, a NY6 bowl, then you may as well go to a tropical island for your bowl. It beats the poo poo out of Detroit or Idaho in my book.

Or playing in your own goddamn stadium again

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

This is very cool (might want to add the city to your template). And Mobile's a perfectly fun place to kill a day or two -- I wouldn't call it a vacation destination but if your team's in this one, you wanna get drunk somewhere with relatively liberal public consumption laws downtown in a place that probably isn't colder than where you are, go for it.

Also if you go to Mobile, visit the USS Alabama, and then take a day trip to Pensacola and the Naval Aviation Museum.

edit:

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Bad Bowl Game Spotlight: The Camping World Independence Bowl

You mentioned that the Independence Bowl is right next to I-20, but failed to mention that across I-20 is an oil refinery so if the wind shifts everything smells like rotten eggs. This is a lateral move from everything smelling like swamp.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 29, 2016

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
pre:
Peach Bowl    Dec. 31   Atlanta, Ga.		#1 Alabama (SEC Champ) vs. #4 Washington (Pac-12 Champ)
Fiesta Bowl   Dec. 31   Glendale, Ariz.		#2 Ohio State (At-Large) vs. #3 Clemson (ACC Champ)
The committee has deemed that a Pac-12 Champ Washington will get in over the Big Ten champ. I dispute that, based on the strength of the Big Ten this season and the relative weakness of the Pac-12, and lord knows the committee will find a way to talk out of the other side of it's mouth in case they want to reverse, but it's going to take an upset of either Washington or Clemson to get a second B1G team in.

New Year's Bowls
pre:
Sugar Bowl    Jan. 2   	New Orleans, La.   Big 12 vs SEC	    #8 Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ) vs.  #14 Auburn (SEC Rep)
Rose Bowl     Jan. 2   	Pasadena, Calif.   Big Ten vs Pac-12	    #6 Wisconsin (Big Ten Champ) vs. #8 Colorado (Pac-12 Rep)
Cotton Bowl   Jan. 2   	Arlington, Tex.    Group of 5 vs. At-large  #17 Western Michigan (Group of 5 Rep) vs. #7 Penn State (At-Large)
Orange Bowl   Dec. 30   Miami, Fla.	   ACC vs. Big Ten/SEC/ND   #12 Florida State (ACC Rep) vs. #5 Michigan (Big Ten Rep)
Sugar doesn't change, Big 12 champ Oklahoma faces least worst team from the SEC shitpile Auburn. Everything else does; Wisconsin beats Penn State but doesn't get into the Playoff, so as B1G champs they "settle" for the Rose, where they face Colorado, since they haven't lost and been jumped by USC yet. Michigan goes to the Orange, facing off against Florida State; Penn State becomes the At-Large team to the Cotton, where they square off with the Boatrowers.

And the rest:

pre:
Outback Bowl	        Jan. 2	  Tampa, Fla.	         B1G vs. SEC        	Nebraska vs. Florida
TaxSlayer Bowl	        Dec. 31   Jacksonville, Fla.	 ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	North Carolina vs. Texas A&M
Citrus Bowl	        Dec. 31	  Orlando, Fla.	         ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Louisville vs. LSU
Arizona Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Tucson, Ariz.	         CUSA vs. MWC       	Idaho vs. Colorado State
Music City Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Nashville, Tenn.	 ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Minnesota vs. Tennessee
Sun Bowl	        Dec. 30	  El Paso, Tex.	         ACC vs. P12        	Pitt vs. Utah
Liberty Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Memphis, Tenn.	 B12 vs. SEC        	Kansas State vs. Georgia
Alamo Bowl	        Dec. 29	  San Antonio, Tex.	 B12 vs. P12        	Oklahoma State vs. USC
Belk Bowl	        Dec. 29	  Charlotte, N.C.	 ACC vs. SEC        	Georgia Tech vs. Kentucky
Birmingham Bowl	        Dec. 29	  Birmingham, Ala.	 AAC vs. SEC            South Florida vs. South Carolina
Texas Bowl	        Dec. 28	  Houston, Tex.	         B12 vs. SEC        	TCU vs. Arkansas
Foster Farms Bowl	Dec. 28	  Santa Clara, Calif.	 B1G vs. P12        	Indiana vs. Stanford
Russell Athletic Bowl	Dec. 28	  Orlando, Fla.	         ACC vs. B12        	Virginia Tech vs. West Virginia
Pinstripe Bowl	        Dec. 28	  New York, N.Y.	 ACC vs. B1G        	Miami vs. Northwestern
Cactus Bowl	        Dec. 27	  Tempe, Ariz.	         B12 vs. P12            Baylor vs. Mississippi State*
Holiday Bowl	        Dec. 27	  San Diego, Calif.	 B1G vs. P12        	Iowa vs. Washington State
Military Bowl	        Dec. 27	  Annapolis, Md.	 ACC vs. AAC         	NC State vs. Memphis
Heart of Dallas Bowl	Dec. 27	  Dallas, Tex.	         B1G vs. CUSA           Army vs. Western Kentucky
Independence Bowl	Dec. 26	  Shreveport, La.	 SEC vs. ACC            Vanderbilt vs. Wake Forest
Quick Lane Bowl	        Dec. 26	  Detroit, Mich.	 ACC vs. B1G            Boston College vs. Maryland
St. Petersburg Bowl	Dec. 26	  St. Petersburg, Fla.   AAC vs ACC         	Temple vs. Southern Miss
Hawai'i Bowl	        Dec. 24	  Honolulu, Hawaii	 CUSA vs. MWC      	UTSA vs. Hawai'i
Dollar General Bowl	Dec. 23	  Mobile, Ala.	         MAC vs. SB	        Toledo vs. Troy
Armed Forces Bowl	Dec. 23	  Fort Worth, Tex.	 B12 vs. Navy           South Alabama vs. Navy
Bahamas Bowl	        Dec. 23	  Nassau, Bahamas	 CUSA vs. MAC           Old Dominion vs. Eastern Michigan
Idaho Potato Bowl	Dec. 22	  Boise, Idaho	         MAC vs. MWC            Central Michigan vs. New Mexico
Poinsettia Bowl	        Dec. 21	  San Diego, Calif.	 MWC vs. BYU       	Boise State vs. BYU
Boca Raton Bowl	        Dec. 20	  Boca Raton, Fla.	 AAC vs. CUSA           Houston vs. Louisiana Tech
Miami Beach Bowl	Dec. 19	  Miami, Fla.	         AAC vs. MAC            Tulsa vs. Ohio
New Orleans Bowl	Dec. 17	  New Orleans, La.	 MWC vs. SB             Air Force vs. App State
Cure Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Orlando, Fla.	         AAC vs. SB             UCF vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
Camellia Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Montgomery, Ala.	 MAC vs. SB             Miami Ohio vs. Arkansas State
Las Vegas Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Las Vegas, Nev.	 MWC vs. P12            San Diego State vs. North Texas*
New Mexico Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Albuquerque, N.M.	 CUSA vs. MWC           Middle Tennessee vs. Wyoming
We only need to dip twice into the APR pool, so North Texas and Mississippi State are the "smart" teams. No real changes here, other than swapping Colorado for USC in the Alamo and the Bahamas Bowl teams are now locked in, which swaps LaTech and MOH out. Redhawks don't get the Bahamas, which I understand since the logistical issues mean you need a team that's been bowl-eligible for a while to get that ball rolling, but I guess Montgomery will be a warm enough middle December jaunt for them.

Next one I'll do is one of my favorites one: where Xort rules the day and every upset happens, or as I like to call it, A-Pawwwwwlllll-capolypse Now.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Venue: Independence Stadium

It mostly hosts high school games and the South endzone borders I-20 so if you're sitting over there enjoy listening to the dulcet sounds of '94 civics backfiring instead of a football game

Looking at this makes me uncomfortable. The half-hearted forced happiness of the "Welcome to Shreveport" banner really set the tone for everything else.

I enjoyed your two write-ups, by the way.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
If OU wins Bedlam 223–0, will the Sooners make the playoffs?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It's in my honest opinion that any team that can score 200 points in regulation should be a lock for the playoffs

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Metapod posted:

It's in my honest opinion that any team that can score 200 points in regulation should be a lock for the playoffs

GEORGIA TECH COME ON DOWN!!!!!!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

C. Everett Koop posted:

GEORGIA TECH COME ON DOWN!!!!!!

A reminder that this is a good watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZzrsDJo-4

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

C. Everett Koop posted:

Next one I'll do is one of my favorites one: where Xort rules the day and every upset happens, or as I like to call it, A-Pawwwwwlllll-capolypse Now.
I will take a stab at this and see how we compare. So much fun this time of year with these scenarios and possibilities..
pre:
Peach Bowl    Dec. 31   Atlanta, Ga.		#1 Alabama (At-Large) vs. #4 Oklahoma State (Big12 Champ)
Fiesta Bowl   Dec. 31   Glendale, Ariz.		#2 Ohio State (At-Large) vs. #3 Penn State  (Big10 Champ)
Alabama, Clemson, & Washington all lose their Conference Championship games. Alabama remains as #1 seed. Penn State beats Wisconsin here (flip flop if you want) to get #3 seed. Debate for #4 is between 11-2 teams Michigan, Pac12 Champ Colorado or Big12 champ Oklahoma State. Going with Oklahoma State on this one

New Year's Bowls
pre:
Sugar Bowl    Jan. 2   	New Orleans, La.   Big 12 vs SEC	    Oklahoma (Big 12 Rep) vs.  Florida (SEC Champ)
Rose Bowl     Jan. 2   	Pasadena, Calif.   Big Ten vs Pac-12	    Michigan (Big Ten Rep) vs. Colorado (Pac-12 Champ)
Cotton Bowl   Jan. 2   	Arlington, Tex.    Group of 5 vs. At-large  Temple (Group of 5 Rep) vs. Clemson (At-Large)
Orange Bowl   Dec. 30   Miami, Fla.	   ACC vs. Big Ten/SEC/ND   Virginia Tech (ACC Champ) vs. Wisconsin (Big Ten Rep)
Florida wins SEC and goes to Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma who lost Bedlam. Virginia Tech wins ACC and goes to Orange versus Wisconsin. Michigan vs Colorado rematch in Rose is sad. They may swap Michigan & Wisconsin to eliminate that rematch. For the Group of 5 spot, for the apocalypse I have Western Michigan, Navy and San Diego State all losing. That leaves a WTF scenario with Temple, Ohio, Wyoming, Conf-USA & SunBelt champs to choose from. Temple is at least getting votes in some polls so they get the G5 spot in the Cotton. The Cotton also gets Clemson or Washington to fill in the last spot and Clemson gets that nod.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Has a major bowl ever hosted a non-conference rematch? Or even an in-conference rematch, ignoring the LSU-Alabama NCG.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

wyoak posted:

Has a major bowl ever hosted a non-conference rematch? Or even an in-conference rematch, ignoring the LSU-Alabama NCG.

Nebraska and someone had a home and home with a bowl (Holiday?) sandwiched in the middle just a little while ago. Phone posting so I can't check.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

wyoak posted:

Florida State has been in 3 off the top of my head. They faced Florida in the Sugar Bowl twice in the 90s, one of those was for the national title. They also faced Miami in the Orange Bowl in the early 2000s when Miami was still in the Big East.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

C. Everett Koop posted:

Nebraska and someone had a home and home with a bowl (Holiday?) sandwiched in the middle just a little while ago. Phone posting so I can't check.

Washington played Nebraska 3 times in 18 months which included a Holiday Bowl matchup.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Assuming the SECCG goes as planned whoever represents the SEC will be the first eight-win team in the Sugar since Tennessee in 1991.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Welcome to A-Pawwwwlllll-Calypse Now, where all the upsets happen. In this scenario:

#1 Alabama loses to #15 Florida in SECCG
#2 Ohio State is idle
#3 Clemson loses to #23 Virginia Tech in the ACCCG
#4 Washington loses to #8 Colorado in the P12CG
#5 Michigan is idle
#6 Wisconsin loses to #7 Penn State in the B1GCG
#9 Oklahoma loses to #10 Oklahoma State in Bedlam/B12CG

Temple beats #19 Navy in the AACCG
Louisiana Tech beats Western Kentucky in the CUSACG
Ohio beats #17 Western Michigan in the MACCG
Wyoming beats San Diego State in the MWCCG
Arkansas State/Troy lose, giving App State the Sun Belt title outright

So now that the world has come to an end and the committee has tried to drink Texas dry, they eventually stagger out and present the following playoff:

pre:
Peach Bowl    Dec. 31   Atlanta, Ga.		#1 Ohio State (At-Large) vs. #4  Penn State (Big Ten Champ)
Fiesta Bowl   Dec. 31   Glendale, Ariz.		#2 Michigan (At-Large) vs. #3 Alabama (At-Large)

Yes, three Big Ten teams. Alabama's loss does knock them out of the top spot, due to the SEC's relative weakness this year, but their strength keeps them in the Top 4. Ohio State takes their rightful place at #1 based off the strength of three wins over Top 10 teams, and as much as people whine about the Buckeyes not being conference or division champs they can't deny the Buckeye's strength or talent. Michigan slips back up into two, past Alabama, although you can switch 2 and 3 for all I care it's just laundry. 4 is the real cluster spot; Colorado makes a strong case but their lack of major wins before the title game hurts compared to Penn State. The Big 12 isn't an issue as even though 10 beats 9, it's not enough to overcome the relative weakness of the Big 12 (and that the CMU loss still counts as a loss no matter what they try to peddle). Virginia Tech can't get up to the Top 4 even after beating Clemson, Florida finally scoring points still doesn't overcome the weakness of the SEC East, and in the end Penn State is the champion of the clear best conference in the country from this past year, and are rewarded with a rematch against Ohio State.

New Year's Bowls
pre:
Sugar Bowl    Jan. 2   	New Orleans, La.   Big 12 vs SEC	     Oklahoma State (Big 12 Champ) vs. Florida (SEC Champ)
Rose Bowl     Jan. 2   	Pasadena, Calif.   Big Ten vs Pac-12	     Wisconsin (Big Ten Rep) vs. Colorado (Pac-12 Champ)
Cotton Bowl   Jan. 2   	Arlington, Tex.    Group of 5 vs. At-large   Temple (Group of 5 Rep) vs.  Washington (At-Large)
Orange Bowl   Dec. 30   Miami, Fla.	   ACC vs. Big Ten/SEC/ND    Virginia Tech (ACC Champ) vs. Auburn (SEC Rep)

So this is easy for a bit, due to contractual obligations, and then it isn't. Oklahoma heads to the Sugar as the B12 Champ, where they face SEC Champ Florida. Wisconsin ends up having to "settle" for the Rose Bowl, where they meet up with the Pac-12 Champs Colorado. Virginia Tech heads to the Orange as the ACC Champ, where we've run out of Big Ten teams to put here and instead Auburn ends up filling the B1G/SEC/Notre Dame spot and gives the SEC three teams in the major bowls. Temple goes to the Cotton as the Group of 5 rep (and basically the last man standings), where they meet up with Washington, who's loss to Colorado doesn't drop them as far as Clemson's loss to the Hokies.

And the rest:

pre:
Outback Bowl	        Jan. 2	  Tampa, Fla.	         B1G vs. SEC        	Iowa vs. Georgia
TaxSlayer Bowl	        Dec. 31   Jacksonville, Fla.	 ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Florida State vs. Texas A&M
Citrus Bowl	        Dec. 31	  Orlando, Fla.	         ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Nebraska vs. LSU
Arizona Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Tucson, Ariz.	         CUSA vs. MWC       	Southern Miss vs. Colorado State
Music City Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Nashville, Tenn.	 ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Northwestern vs. Tennessee
Sun Bowl	        Dec. 30	  El Paso, Tex.	         ACC vs. P12        	North Carolina vs. Utah
Liberty Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Memphis, Tenn.	 B12 vs. SEC        	Kansas State vs. Kentucky
Alamo Bowl	        Dec. 29	  San Antonio, Tex.	 B12 vs. P12        	Oklahoma vs. USC
Belk Bowl	        Dec. 29	  Charlotte, N.C.	 ACC vs. SEC        	Louisville vs. Arkansas
Birmingham Bowl	        Dec. 29	  Birmingham, Ala.	 AAC vs. SEC            Houston vs. South Alabama
Texas Bowl	        Dec. 28	  Houston, Tex.	         B12 vs. SEC        	TCU vs. South Carolina
Foster Farms Bowl	Dec. 28	  Santa Clara, Calif.	 B1G vs. P12        	Indiana vs. Stanford
Russell Athletic Bowl	Dec. 28	  Orlando, Fla.	         ACC vs. B12        	Clemson vs. West Virginia
Pinstripe Bowl	        Dec. 28	  New York, N.Y.	 ACC vs. B1G        	Miami vs. Maryland
Cactus Bowl	        Dec. 27	  Tempe, Ariz.	         B12 vs. P12            Baylor vs. Mississippi State*
Holiday Bowl	        Dec. 27	  San Diego, Calif.	 B1G vs. P12        	Minnesota vs. Washington State
Military Bowl	        Dec. 27	  Annapolis, Md.	 ACC vs. AAC         	Georgia Tech vs. Memphis
Heart of Dallas Bowl	Dec. 27	  Dallas, Tex.	         B1G vs. CUSA           Wake Forest vs. Western Kentucky
Independence Bowl	Dec. 26	  Shreveport, La.	 SEC vs. ACC            Vanderbilt vs. Pitt
Quick Lane Bowl	        Dec. 26	  Detroit, Mich.	 ACC vs. B1G            NC State vs. Central Michigan
St. Petersburg Bowl	Dec. 26	  St. Petersburg, Fla.   AAC vs ACC         	South Florida vs. Boston College
Hawai'i Bowl	        Dec. 24	  Honolulu, Hawaii	 CUSA vs. MWC      	UTSA vs. Hawai'i
Dollar General Bowl	Dec. 23	  Mobile, Ala.	         MAC vs. SB	        Ohio vs. Troy
Armed Forces Bowl	Dec. 23	  Fort Worth, Tex.	 B12 vs. Navy           Louisiana-Lafayette vs. Navy
Bahamas Bowl	        Dec. 23	  Nassau, Bahamas	 CUSA vs. MAC           Old Dominion vs. Eastern Michigan
Idaho Potato Bowl	Dec. 22	  Boise, Idaho	         MAC vs. MWC            Miami Ohio vs. New Mexico
Poinsettia Bowl	        Dec. 21	  San Diego, Calif.	 MWC vs. BYU       	Boise State vs. BYU
Boca Raton Bowl	        Dec. 20	  Boca Raton, Fla.	 AAC vs. CUSA           UCF vs. Louisiana Tech
Miami Beach Bowl	Dec. 19	  Miami, Fla.	         AAC vs. MAC            Tulsa vs. Toledo
New Orleans Bowl	Dec. 17	  New Orleans, La.	 MWC vs. SB             Air Force vs. App State
Cure Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Orlando, Fla.	         AAC vs. SB             Army vs. Idaho
Camellia Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Montgomery, Ala.	 MAC vs. SB             Western Michigan vs. Arkansas State
Las Vegas Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Las Vegas, Nev.	 MWC vs. P12            Wyoming vs. North Texas*
New Mexico Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Albuquerque, N.M.	 CUSA vs. MWC           Middle Tennessee vs. San Diego State

We still only need to dip twice into the APR pool, so North Texas and Mississippi State are the "smart" teams.

Now that's the good stuff. Some matchups we just can't get away from, like Nebraska/Georgia. And Pitt/Vandy seems like it'll be a slog to play and watch. But Clemson/WVU in the Orange Bowl runback that set Dabo off on his path of destruction. Noles and Aggies in a battle that might crash the Twitter servers. And the bert Belk Bowl that'll see Big Wheel Bobby beat the hell out of his former team, who might bag bert after the game and beg Bobby to bounce back to Fayetteville.

Again, this will never happen ever. But it's fun to watch and if we're nice and give all glory to Xort and his Avatar of Chaos Katy Perry, maybe we'll get something close to this.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 1, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Nebraska playing two bowl games in 3 days is gonna be interesting

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

Nebraska playing two bowl games in 3 days is gonna be interesting

I said it wasn't gonna happen, did I not? :colbert:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

He did say it was chaos mode

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

C. Everett Koop posted:

Welcome to A-Pawwwwlllll-Calypse Now, where all the upsets happen. In this scenario:

#1 Alabama loses to #15 Florida in SECCG
#2 Ohio State is idle
#3 Clemson loses to #23 Virginia Tech in the ACCCG
#4 Washington loses to #8 Colorado in the P12CG
#5 Michigan is idle
#6 Wisconsin loses to #7 Penn State in the B1GCG
#9 Oklahoma loses to #10 Oklahoma State in Bedlam/B12CG

Temple beats #19 Navy in the AACCG
Louisiana Tech beats Western Kentucky in the CUSACG
Ohio beats #17 Western Michigan in the MACCG
Wyoming beats San Diego State in the MWCCG
Arkansas State/Troy lose, giving App State the Sun Belt title outright

So now that the world has come to an end and the committee has tried to drink Texas dry, they eventually stagger out and present the following playoff:

pre:
Peach Bowl    Dec. 31   Atlanta, Ga.		#1 Ohio State (At-Large) vs. #4  Penn State (Big Ten Champ)
Fiesta Bowl   Dec. 31   Glendale, Ariz.		#2 Michigan (At-Large) vs. #3 Alabama (At-Large)
Yes, three Big Ten teams. Alabama's loss does knock them out of the top spot, due to the SEC's relative weakness this year, but their strength keeps them in the Top 4. Ohio State takes their rightful place at #1 based off the strength of three wins over Top 10 teams, and as much as people whine about the Buckeyes not being conference or division champs they can't deny the Buckeye's strength or talent. Michigan slips back up into two, past Alabama, although you can switch 2 and 3 for all I care it's just laundry. 4 is the real cluster spot; Colorado makes a strong case but their lack of major wins before the title game hurts compared to Penn State. The Big 12 isn't an issue as even though 10 beats 9, it's not enough to overcome the relative weakness of the Big 12 (and that the CMU loss still counts as a loss no matter what they try to peddle). Virginia Tech can't get up to the Top 4 even after beating Clemson, Florida finally scoring points still doesn't overcome the weakness of the SEC East, and in the end Penn State is the champion of the clear best conference in the country from this past year, and are rewarded with a rematch against Ohio State.

New Year's Bowls
pre:
Sugar Bowl    Jan. 2   	New Orleans, La.   Big 12 vs SEC	     Oklahoma State (Big 12 Champ) vs. Florida (SEC Champ)
Rose Bowl     Jan. 2   	Pasadena, Calif.   Big Ten vs Pac-12	     Wisconsin (Big Ten Rep) vs. Colorado (Pac-12 Champ)
Cotton Bowl   Jan. 2   	Arlington, Tex.    Group of 5 vs. At-large   Temple (Group of 5 Rep) vs.  Washington (At-Large)
Orange Bowl   Dec. 30   Miami, Fla.	   ACC vs. Big Ten/SEC/ND    Virginia Tech (ACC Champ) vs. Auburn (SEC Rep)
So this is easy for a bit, due to contractual obligations, and then it isn't. Oklahoma heads to the Sugar as the B12 Champ, where they face SEC Champ Florida. Wisconsin ends up having to "settle" for the Rose Bowl, where they meet up with the Pac-12 Champs Colorado. Virginia Tech heads to the Orange as the ACC Champ, where we've run out of Big Ten teams to put here and instead Auburn ends up filling the B1G/SEC/Notre Dame spot and gives the SEC three teams in the major bowls. Temple goes to the Cotton as the Group of 5 rep (and basically the last man standings), where they meet up with Washington, who's loss to Colorado doesn't drop them as far as Clemson's loss to the Hokies.

And the rest:

pre:
Outback Bowl	        Jan. 2	  Tampa, Fla.	         B1G vs. SEC        	Iowa vs. Georgia
TaxSlayer Bowl	        Dec. 31   Jacksonville, Fla.	 ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Florida State vs. Texas A&M
Citrus Bowl	        Dec. 31	  Orlando, Fla.	         ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Nebraska vs. LSU
Arizona Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Tucson, Ariz.	         CUSA vs. MWC       	Southern Miss vs. Colorado State
Music City Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Nashville, Tenn.	 ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Northwestern vs. Tennessee
Sun Bowl	        Dec. 30	  El Paso, Tex.	         ACC vs. P12        	North Carolina vs. Utah
Liberty Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Memphis, Tenn.	 B12 vs. SEC        	Kansas State vs. Kentucky
Alamo Bowl	        Dec. 29	  San Antonio, Tex.	 B12 vs. P12        	Oklahoma vs. USC
Belk Bowl	        Dec. 29	  Charlotte, N.C.	 ACC vs. SEC        	Louisville vs. Arkansas
Birmingham Bowl	        Dec. 29	  Birmingham, Ala.	 AAC vs. SEC            Houston vs. South Alabama
Texas Bowl	        Dec. 28	  Houston, Tex.	         B12 vs. SEC        	TCU vs. South Carolina
Russell Athletic Bowl	Dec. 28	  Orlando, Fla.	         ACC vs. B12        	Clemson vs. West Virginia
Pinstripe Bowl	        Dec. 28	  New York, N.Y.	 ACC vs. B1G        	Miami vs. Maryland
Holiday Bowl	        Dec. 27	  San Diego, Calif.	 B1G vs. P12        	Minnesota vs. Washington State
Military Bowl	        Dec. 27	  Annapolis, Md.	 ACC vs. AAC         	Georgia Tech vs. Memphis
Heart of Dallas Bowl	Dec. 27	  Dallas, Tex.	         B1G vs. CUSA           Wake Forest vs. Western Kentucky
Independence Bowl	Dec. 26	  Shreveport, La.	 SEC vs. ACC            Vanderbilt vs. Pitt
Quick Lane Bowl	        Dec. 26	  Detroit, Mich.	 ACC vs. B1G            NC State vs. Central Michigan
St. Petersburg Bowl	Dec. 26	  St. Petersburg, Fla.   AAC vs ACC         	South Florida vs. Boston College
Dollar General Bowl	Dec. 23	  Mobile, Ala.	         MAC vs. SB	        Ohio vs. Troy
Armed Forces Bowl	Dec. 23	  Fort Worth, Tex.	 B12 vs. Navy           Louisiana-Lafayette vs. Navy
Idaho Potato Bowl	Dec. 22	  Boise, Idaho	         MAC vs. MWC            Miami Ohio vs. New Mexico
Boca Raton Bowl	        Dec. 20	  Boca Raton, Fla.	 AAC vs. CUSA           UCF vs. Louisiana Tech
Miami Beach Bowl	Dec. 19	  Miami, Fla.	         AAC vs. MAC            Tulsa vs. Toledo
Cure Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Orlando, Fla.	         AAC vs. SB             Army vs. Idaho
Camellia Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Montgomery, Ala.	 MAC vs. SB             Western Michigan vs. Arkansas State
Las Vegas Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Las Vegas, Nev.	 MWC vs. P12            Wyoming vs. North Texas*
New Mexico Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Albuquerque, N.M.	 CUSA vs. MWC           Middle Tennessee vs. San Diego State
We still only need to dip twice into the APR pool, so North Texas and Mississippi State are the "smart" teams.

Now that's the good stuff. Some matchups we just can't get away from, like Nebraska/Georgia. And Pitt/Vandy seems like it'll be a slog to play and watch. But Clemson/WVU in the Orange Bowl runback that set Dabo off on his path of destruction. Noles and Aggies in a battle that might crash the Twitter servers. And the bert Belk Bowl that'll see Big Wheel Bobby beat the hell out of his former team, who might bag bert after the game and beg Bobby to bounce back to Fayetteville.

Again, this will never happen ever. But it's fun to watch and if we're nice and give all glory to Xort and his Avatar of Chaos Katy Perry, maybe we'll get something close to this.

I want to see almost exactly this happen, but with Wisconsin over Penn State and Western Michigan winning. Upsets for the Upset God! (also I genuinely think Iowa would have a better chance against Georgia than against Washington State)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Oh good Tennessee vs. Northwestern again except this time I'm in Chicago.

I am whelmed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Until i saw your Hail Xort poll I genuinely had no idea BC was bowl eligible this year :psyduck:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

Until i saw your Hail Xort poll I genuinely had no idea BC was bowl eligible this year :psyduck:

Run a dogshit easy non-con and find two conference suckers (State/Wake) to squeak by and voila! (they prob would have gotten in from the APR pool as well)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I thought they were an APR team at best. I didn't realize the win over Wake gave them 6.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

C. Everett Koop posted:

Big Ten Champ almost certainly vaults past Michigan, and I think the committee takes Colorado or even the Big 12 champ before they take three teams out of the Big Ten.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

Big Ten Champ almost certainly vaults past Michigan, and I think the committee takes Colorado or even the Big 12 champ before they take three teams out of the Big Ten.

Both Penn State and Wisconsin have H2H losses to Michigan, which the committee has shown to value. Colorado only has a pair of wins over #22s on their schedule, so while beating #4 Washington looks great, it's the only great win on their schedule, whereas Penn State would have wins over Ohio State and Wisconsin, while Wisconsin would have beaten 4 top-10 teams (yes LSU and Sparty are part of that list, but still).

I think if everything goes to hell, the Big Ten has enough to elevate them just above the rest of the fray.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

C. Everett Koop posted:

Both Penn State and Wisconsin have H2H losses to Michigan, which the committee has shown to value. Colorado only has a pair of wins over #22s on their schedule, so while beating #4 Washington looks great, it's the only great win on their schedule, whereas Penn State would have wins over Ohio State and Wisconsin, while Wisconsin would have beaten 4 top-10 teams (yes LSU and Sparty are part of that list, but still).

I think if everything goes to hell, the Big Ten has enough to elevate them just above the rest of the fray.

The only flaw in your logic is the assumption that the committee is going to be consistent in their logic.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

The only flaw in your logic is the assumption that the committee is going to be consistent in their logic.

They're consistently in favor of whatever the last thing out of their mouths is. It's just trying to figure out what that's going to be.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think it's largely an academic question, because I think the mostly likely result is that the final four is going to remain unchanged after this weekend, but really the only true wild card is Clemson.
In:
Alabama
Ohio State
Pac12 Champion

Basically in a field of a bunch of two loss teams, it will be real difficult for the committee to select two teams from one conference when everybody's resume is pretty similar. You could imagine the playoff seeding looks something like this:
Best Team SEC
Best Team Big 10
Best Team ACC
Pac12 Champion
Best Team Big 12
Big 10 Champion
Michigan

As far as the committee is concerned Ohio State is the de facto best team in the Big 10, so Wisconsin/Penn State need both Clemson and Oklahoma to lose in order to make the playoffs. Oklahoma State might make the playoffs over Penn State under the didn't lose to Pittsburgh provision.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Pitt being tangentially involved with like three possible playoff teams is a hilarious development. It's the closest they've been to relevant since killing WVU's title hopes in 2007.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Bad Bowl Game Spotlight: The Idaho Potato Bowl

At A Glance: This one has it all. lovely venue, lovely city, and it's sponsored by loving potatoes (the bowl logo has cloves on the potato tho which is a pro-tier move for a baked potato). This might be the most podunk bowl ever but it's great because it tries SO HARD. It's MAC v MWC and sometimes leads to good or exciting matchups but really, we're exiling some poor college students to spend the holidays in loving Boise, Idaho for our half-interest. We're monsters.

As also pointed out to me, this also used to be the Humanitarian Bowl sponsored by such companies as MPC Computers (defunct) and Roady's (a trucker navigation app). At halftime they would honor a good samaritan who saved a life on the interstate. (Thanks, Henchman of Santa)

Host city: Boise, Idaho. That's right. There's a bowl game in a genuine flyover state. There is jack poo poo to do, jack poo poo to see, and jack poo poo to eat besides potatoes. I'm honestly drawing a blank on any interesting facts about Boise other than 1) there are a lot of truckers who live there and 2) it's home of Boise State and gently caress Boise State

Most memorable game: I got nothing. 2004's game between Fresno State and Virginia went to OT, and Georgia Tech dropped 52 on Tulsa in 2003 which is a Potato Bowl record.

Notable Events: Okay, now we're gonna start having fun. I mean, I am gonna start having fun typing this. The players won't be having any fun.

Monday, Dec. 19th: the prerequisite lovely Bowl Game Bowling contest, at a place called "Pinz-Wahooz" in downtown Boise

Tuesday, December 20th: "MAC Winter Sports OR Go-Kart racing": The weather in Boise is so lovely it can't even decide if it wants to snow or not so they have to have a backup contingency where they just race go-karts

Wednesday, December 21st: an FCA Breakfast and the FAMOUS IDAHO POTATO MASH BASH

Holy poo poo posted:

The 2016 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Mash Bash presented by Idahoan will take place on December 21st from 5-8PM on the Basque Block in downtown Boise! The event will give you a chance to experience Boise, vote for your favorite potato (Mashed or Baked) in Tatergeddon, and a great chance to see the marching bands and cheerleaders from both teams! We hope to see you there!

Payout: 750k as of 2011, I can't find anything more recent

Venue: Albertson's Stadium, home of Boise State

Boise claims they can't replace the field so the two teams will play on a blue field WITH BOISE STATE'S LOGOS AND LETTERING STILL ON IT.

Player Gifts: Gift suite, Oakley backpack, a beanie, commemorative football and four-person Coleman tent.

That's right, you get a loving tent so at least you won't freeze to death in Boise.

Projection: Central Michigan vs Wyoming

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 2, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The best Potato Bowl was Idaho over Bowling Green in overtime. Also don't forget it used to be the Humanitarian Bowl, with such sponsors as Crucial.com and Roady's.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

The best Potato Bowl was Idaho over Bowling Green in overtime. Also don't forget it used to be the Humanitarian Bowl, with such sponsors as Crucial.com and Roady's.

I had that in my draft and must have hosed up copying it over. Fixed.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Nope, owns

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

At A Glance: This one has it all. lovely venue, lovely city, and it's sponsored by loving potatoes (the bowl logo has cloves on the potato tho which is a pro-tier move for a baked potato). This might be the most podunk bowl ever but it's great because it tries SO HARD. It's MAC v MWC and sometimes leads to good or exciting matchups but really, we're exiling some poor college students to spend the holidays in loving Boise, Idaho for our half-interest. We're monsters.

As also pointed out to me, this also used to be the Humanitarian Bowl sponsored by such companies as MPC Computers (defunct) and Roady's (a trucker navigation app). At halftime they would honor a good samaritan who saved a life on the interstate. (Thanks, Henchman of Santa)

Host city: Boise, Idaho. That's right. There's a bowl game in a genuine flyover state. There is jack poo poo to do, jack poo poo to see, and jack poo poo to eat besides potatoes. I'm honestly drawing a blank on any interesting facts about Boise other than 1) there are a lot of truckers who live there and 2) it's home of Boise State and gently caress Boise State

Most memorable game: I got nothing. 2004's game between Fresno State and Virginia went to OT, and Georgia Tech dropped 52 on Tulsa in 2003 which is a Potato Bowl record.

Notable Events: Okay, now we're gonna start having fun. I mean, I am gonna start having fun typing this. The players won't be having any fun.

Monday, Dec. 19th: the prerequisite lovely Bowl Game Bowling contest, at a place called "Pinz-Wahooz" in downtown Boise

Tuesday, December 20th: "MAC Winter Sports OR Go-Kart racing": The weather in Boise is so lovely it can't even decide if it wants to snow or not so they have to have a backup contingency where they just race go-karts

Wednesday, December 21st: an FCA Breakfast and the FAMOUS IDAHO POTATO MASH BASH

Payout: 750k as of 2011, I can't find anything more recent

Venue: Albertson's Stadium, home of Boise State

Boise claims they can't replace the field so the two teams will play on a blue field WITH BOISE STATE'S LOGOS AND LETTERING STILL ON IT.

Player Gifts: Gift suite, Oakley backpack, a beanie, commemorative football and four-person Coleman tent.

That's right, you get a loving tent so at least you won't freeze to death in Boise.

Projection: Central Michigan vs Wyoming

From experience: a tent doesnt do poo poo vs the cold. I had to get my emergency blanket out when I was camping by Leavenworth in October

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

(the bowl logo has cloves on the potato tho which is a pro-tier move for a baked potato).

Those are chives. Cloves are some other poo poo-tier spice.

gently caress cloves.

• Locked thread