Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Potato Bowl is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

The potato bowl sucks, gently caress the potato bowl

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
On one hand it sucks that we send kids out to loving Boise to play in front of nobody (especially the MAC teams). On the other hand, it's extremely silly and often entertaining.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Why do they make MAC teams travel to loving Idaho in the middle of December

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Benne posted:

I guess because there's so no more WAC and they sure as poo poo aren't getting the Pac-12 to sign on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

Because it's the MAC.

Iowa State fans who went there insist Boise is very nice but they're judging it against like Shreveport so

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

Because it's the MAC.

Iowa State fans who went there insist Boise is very nice but they're judging it against like Shreveport so

Boise is at least a decent sized city. It's not enormous but it's as big as Birmingham and Spokane. If it was in Nevada instead of Idaho people would bitch as much (they'd still bitch but that's gonna happen no matter what).

Shreveport ain't got nothing going for it other than poverty and depression. There's a reason it's the running joke that ain't nobody want to go to Shreveport for a bowl. I'd gladly spend a week in Boise than a week in Shreveport regardless of the weather or time of year.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Wikipedia tells me that Shreveport has a Chimpanzee sanctuary and if I had to spend a couple days in Shreveport I'd probably g-

quote:

Because we are a sanctuary, Chimp Haven is not regularly open for visitors
Oh god drat it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pakled posted:

Wikipedia tells me that Shreveport has a Chimpanzee sanctuary and if I had to spend a couple days in Shreveport I'd probably g-

Oh god drat it

I would rather not hang out with a bunch of the second most murderous primates.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
WVU is almost certainty going to the Russel Bowl, where both us and VT are pushing organizers to not to make us play each other back to back. I think we're gonna end up playing Miami lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Benne posted:

Punishment. They used to have a steak eating contest for the teams but for whatever reason it was axed.

If the MAC were smart they'd call up the Sun Belt and get Idaho down here. Drunk Vandal fans about the only non-BSU fan group willing to put up with a game in December on that lovely blue carpet. Plus I wanna go watch Idaho play.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
gently caress conference autobids to NY6 bowls.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

North Texas is locked in to the Heart of Dallas Bowl, so congrats to them for scoring a close by homeish game.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Brett McMurphy reports Texas would decline a bowl bid.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Quick hitter after Friday's two games and the fallout from there

pre:
Peach Bowl    Dec. 31   Atlanta, Ga.		#1 Alabama (SEC Champ) vs. #4 Washington (Pac-12 Champ)
Fiesta Bowl   Dec. 31   Glendale, Ariz.		#2 Ohio State (At-Large) vs. #3 Clemson (ACC Champ)
Washington's dominant win all but guarantees them a spot. Looking at #4 vs. Bama in the Peach unless either VT or Florida pulls off an upset.

New Year's Bowls
pre:
Sugar Bowl    Jan. 2   	New Orleans, La.   Big 12 vs SEC	    Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ) vs.  Auburn (SEC Rep)
Rose Bowl     Jan. 2   	Pasadena, Calif.   Big Ten vs Pac-12	    Wisconsin (Big Ten Champ) vs. USC (Pac-12 Rep)
Cotton Bowl   Jan. 2   	Arlington, Tex.    Group of 5 vs. At-large  Navy (Group of 5 Rep) vs. Penn State (At-Large)
Orange Bowl   Dec. 30   Miami, Fla.	   ACC vs. Big Ten/SEC/ND   Florida State (ACC Rep) vs. Michigan (Big Ten Rep)
Two changes here, being on the wrong end of the Pac-12 beatdown drops Colorado below USC, who has the H2H on the buffs (and more of a name brand which is what's really important). WMU's uninspiring win over Ohio does cap an undefeated season, but it opens the door for Navy and gives an excuse to a committee looking for a reason to put the Middies in. It also means this gets strung out another week as we have to wait and see if Navy beats Army next weekend they will to cement who goes to the Cotton. It gives ESPN another selection show and people get to talk about the bowls/playoff for another week, how convenient! Also, Trump gets to take credit for :911: ARE TROOPZ :freep: being in a major bowl game and his approval rate goes all the way up to 38%.

And the rest:

pre:
Outback Bowl	        Jan. 2	  Tampa, Fla.	         B1G vs. SEC        	Nebraska vs. Florida
TaxSlayer Bowl	        Dec. 31   Jacksonville, Fla.	 ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	North Carolina vs. Texas A&M
Citrus Bowl	        Dec. 31	  Orlando, Fla.	         ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Louisville vs. LSU
Arizona Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Tucson, Ariz.	         CUSA vs. MWC       	Idaho vs. Colorado State
Music City Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Nashville, Tenn.	 ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Minnesota vs. Tennessee
Sun Bowl	        Dec. 30	  El Paso, Tex.	         ACC vs. P12        	Pitt vs. Utah
Liberty Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Memphis, Tenn.	 B12 vs. SEC        	Baylor vs. Georgia
Alamo Bowl	        Dec. 29	  San Antonio, Tex.	 B12 vs. P12        	Oklahoma State vs. Colorado
Belk Bowl	        Dec. 29	  Charlotte, N.C.	 ACC vs. SEC        	Georgia Tech vs. Kentucky
Birmingham Bowl	        Dec. 29	  Birmingham, Ala.	 AAC vs. SEC            South Florida vs. South Carolina
Texas Bowl	        Dec. 28	  Houston, Tex.	         B12 vs. SEC        	TCU vs. Arkansas
Foster Farms Bowl	Dec. 28	  Santa Clara, Calif.	 B1G vs. P12        	Indiana vs. Stanford
Russell Athletic Bowl	Dec. 28	  Orlando, Fla.	         ACC vs. B12        	Virginia Tech vs. West Virginia
Pinstripe Bowl	        Dec. 28	  New York, N.Y.	 ACC vs. B1G        	Miami vs. Northwestern
Cactus Bowl	        Dec. 27	  Tempe, Ariz.	         B12 vs. P12            South Alabama vs. Mississippi State*
Holiday Bowl	        Dec. 27	  San Diego, Calif.	 B1G vs. P12        	Iowa vs. Washington State
Military Bowl	        Dec. 27	  Annapolis, Md.	 ACC vs. AAC         	NC State vs. Memphis
Heart of Dallas Bowl	Dec. 27	  Dallas, Tex.	         B1G vs. CUSA           Miami Ohio  vs. Western Kentucky
Independence Bowl	Dec. 26	  Shreveport, La.	 SEC vs. ACC            Vanderbilt vs. Wake Forest
Quick Lane Bowl	        Dec. 26	  Detroit, Mich.	 ACC vs. B1G            Boston College vs. Maryland
St. Petersburg Bowl	Dec. 26	  St. Petersburg, Fla.   AAC vs ACC         	Temple vs. Southern Miss
Hawai'i Bowl	        Dec. 24	  Honolulu, Hawaii	 CUSA vs. MWC      	UTSA vs. Hawai'i
Dollar General Bowl	Dec. 23	  Mobile, Ala.	         MAC vs. SB	        Western Michigan vs. Troy
Armed Forces Bowl	Dec. 23	  Fort Worth, Tex.	 B12 vs. Navy           Kansas State vs. Army
Bahamas Bowl	        Dec. 23	  Nassau, Bahamas	 CUSA vs. MAC           Old Dominion vs. Eastern Michigan
Idaho Potato Bowl	Dec. 22	  Boise, Idaho	         MAC vs. MWC            Central Michigan vs. New Mexico
Poinsettia Bowl	        Dec. 21	  San Diego, Calif.	 MWC vs. BYU       	Boise State vs. BYU
Boca Raton Bowl	        Dec. 20	  Boca Raton, Fla.	 AAC vs. CUSA           Houston vs. Louisiana Tech
Miami Beach Bowl	Dec. 19	  Miami, Fla.	         AAC vs. MAC            Tulsa vs. Toledo
New Orleans Bowl	Dec. 17	  New Orleans, La.	 MWC vs. SB             Air Force vs. App State
Cure Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Orlando, Fla.	         AAC vs. SB             UCF vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
Camellia Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Montgomery, Ala.	 MAC vs. SB             Ohio vs. Arkansas State
Las Vegas Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Las Vegas, Nev.	 MWC vs. P12            San Diego State vs. North Texas*
New Mexico Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Albuquerque, N.M.	 CUSA vs. MWC           Middle Tennessee vs. Wyoming
Fallout here affects the Armed Forces bowl, which loses Navy and ends up taking Army, and accordingly gets a Big 12 team. It shuffles K-State out of the Liberty, which they're glad for since they went there last year, to the Armed Forces and sends Baylor to the Liberty, with South Alabama shipped to the desert. MAC all falls down a spot as Western slowly paddles to the Dollar General (minus their coach who skips town the second the bowls are announced), and everyone shifts down one, more or less.

One last stab in the dark tomorrow (maybe two if I get bored during the day) and then most of the bowls are revealed for real.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 3, 2016

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Temple (10-3) beat Navy, so I guess it's time to ROW THE BOAT to the Cotton Bowl.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The moral of the story is: Don't gently caress with Temple.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Idaho wins today to bring the Vandals to 8-4 and the way coach Petrino was talking afterwards it made it sound like the Boise Bowl is for the Vandals. Or at least a non Sunbelt affiliated bowl game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

oldman posted:

Idaho wins today to bring the Vandals to 8-4 and the way coach Petrino was talking afterwards it made it sound like the Boise Bowl is for the Vandals. Or at least a non Sunbelt affiliated bowl game.

Seems like a good way to send off the program before it enters the Bowl-free zone

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Seems like a good way to send off the program before it enters the Bowl-free zone

Still have 2017 to shove in president Staben's face.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Twitter is telling me that Iowa's probably going to the loving Outback Bowl again, most likely against Flordia again. We have played in like 75 Outback bowls so I don't get why the rule preventing Nebraska from going to the Holiday again doesn't apply here but apparently it doesn't. :(

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What are Sugar Bowl tickets going to run? I guess I should probably try to go.

e: about $280 for two nosebleeds. Sean White better get his rear end healthy or i'ma regret this.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 4, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

Twitter is telling me that Iowa's probably going to the loving Outback Bowl again, most likely against Flordia again. We have played in like 75 Outback bowls so I don't get why the rule preventing Nebraska from going to the Holiday again doesn't apply here but apparently it doesn't. :(

congrats on your bowl win

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Every time I read this topic I sigh because once again I remember that NCAA Football video games are no longer made and I can't continue the December tradition of playing all the bowl matchups.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

MourningView posted:

ESPN thinks it'll be Iowa vs. Washington St. in the Holiday Bowl.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jubs posted:

ESPN thinks it'll be Iowa vs. Washington St. in the Holiday Bowl.

That's what everyone projected before tonight but Iowa and Nebraska beat writers started hearing otherwise tonight.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Houston vs SDSU in the Las Vegas Bowl :getin:

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/Viva-Las-Vegas-Cougars-to-face-Mountain-West-10690052.php

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Week 14 - Welcome to College Football Saturday

ACC

ATLANTIC
pre:
Clemson (7-1, 12-1)           CHAMPS!
Louisville (7-1, 9-3)         BOWL
Florida State (5-3, 9-3)      BOWL
NC State (3-5, 6-6)           BOWL
Wake Forest (3-5, 6-6)        BOWL
Boston College (2-6, 6-6)     BOWL
Syracuse (2-6, 4-8)           DONE
COASTAL
pre:
Virginia Tech (6-2, 9-4)      BOWL
North Carolina (5-3, 8-4)     BOWL
Miami (5-3, 8-4)              BOWL
Pitt (5-3, 8-4)               BOWL
Georgia Tech (4-4, 8-4)       BOWL
Duke (1-7, 4-8)               DONE
Virginia (1-7, 2-10)          DONE
Clemson wins the ACC again and is in strong contention to make the playoff. Tech had a good showing and it might be enough to move them into Citrus contention, but odds are they'll end up in the RAB.

pre:
Notre Dame (4-8)     DONE
Notre Dame is 4-8. :911: Never Forget :911:

ACC Bowl Eligible Teams - 11: Clemson, Florida State, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Pitt, North Carolina, Miami, Georgia Tech, NC State, Wake Forest, Boston College

BIG TEN

EAST
pre:
Penn State (8-1, 11-2)        CHAMPS!
Ohio State (8-1, 11-1)        BOWL
Michigan (7-2, 10-2)          BOWL
Indiana (4-5, 6-6)            BOWL
Maryland (3-6, 6-6)           BOWL
Michigan State (1-8, 3-9)     DONE
Rutgers (0-9, 2-10)           DONE
WEST
pre:
Wisconsin (7-2, 10-3)       BOWL
Nebraska (6-3, 9-3)         BOWL      
Iowa (6-3, 8-4)             BOWL
Minnesota (5-4, 8-4)        BOWL
Northwestern (5-4, 6-6)     BOWL
Illinois (2-7, 3-9)         DONE
Purdue (1-8, 3-9)           DONE
This is where the real fun comes from. No one's arguing whether the Big Ten belongs in the playoffs, even the stupid people. What's up for debate is who, or even whom. It started with four teams, with Wisconsin being the first to tumble due to their B1GCG loss. Ohio State is 11-1 but second in the B1G East to Penn State, with Michigan behind both of them in the standings but ahead of Penn State in the rankings. I think the committee will take care of that point tomorrow, even though Michigan will scream bloody hell that they beat Penn State H2H. It then comes down to who had the better season, 11-1 Ohio State who beat 4 top 10 teams, or Penn State who won the Big Ten but doesn't have as impressive a resume. Have fun answering that one.

Big Ten Bowl Eligible Teams - 10: Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Indiana, Maryland

Big 12

pre:
Oklahoma (9-0, 10-2)           CHAMPS!
West Virginia (7-2, 10-2)      BOWL
Oklahoma State (7-2, 9-3)      BOWL
Kansas State (6-3, 8-4)        BOWL
TCU (4-5, 6-6)                 BOWL
Baylor (3-6, 6-6)              BOWL
Texas (3-6, 5-7)               APR
Texas Tech (3-6, 5-7)          APR
Iowa State (2-7, 3-9)          DONE
Kansas (1-8, 2-10)             DONE 
Oklahoma wins Bedlam and runs the table in the Big 12, and would have been a strong candidate to make the Playoff had they not crapped the bed in non-con. K-State finishing fourth is a big surprise, less so is Baylor pulling off the full Ron Zook and finishing 6-6 after starting 6-0.

Big 12 Bowl Eligible Teams - 6: Oklahoma, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, TCU, Baylor

PAC-12

NORTH
pre:
Washington (8-1, 12-1)          CHAMPS!
Washington State (7-2, 8-4)     BOWL
Stanford (6-3, 9-3)             BOWL
Cal (3-6, 5-7)                  APR
Oregon State (3-6, 4-8)         DONE
Oregon (2-7, 4-8)               DONE
SOUTH
pre:
Colorado (8-1, 10-3)         BOWL
USC (7-2, 9-3)               BOWL
Utah (5-4, 8-4)              BOWL
Arizona State (2-7, 5-7)     APR
UCLA (2-7, 4-8)              DONE
Arizona (1-8, 3-9)           DONE
Washington takes care of business and now needs to hope that their entire resume holds up against the two Big Ten teams and Clemson. I'd hope that Colorado is able to stay above USC and head to the Rose Bowl, but given how Washington handled the Buffs while USC beat the two teams in the P12CG makes me think that the Trojans will jump and head to Pasadena. Which sucks, but :capitalism:

Pac-12 Bowl Eligible Teams - 6: Washington, Colorado, USC, Washington State, Stanford, Utah

SEC

EAST
pre:
Florida (6-2, 8-4)            BOWL
Tennessee (4-4, 8-4)          BOWL
Georgia (4-4, 7-5)            BOWL
Kentucky (4-4, 7-5)           BOWL
South Carolina (3-5, 6-6)     BOWL
Vanderbilt (3-5, 6-6)         BOWL
Missouri (2-6, 4-8)           DONE
WEST
pre:
Alabama (8-0, 13-0)              CHAMPS!
Auburn (5-3, 8-4)                BOWL
LSU (5-3, 7-4)                   BOWL
Texas A&M (4-4, 8-4)             BOWL
Arkansas (3-5, 7-5)              BOWL
Mississippi State (3-5, 5-7)     APR
Ole Miss (2-6, 5-7)              APR
Bama runs the table and is the only team that's a lock in the Playoff, even though I think they're a good team in a poo poo conference and not the world beaters everyone else thinks they are. Someone has to make the Sugar Bowl from here, which is a shame because none of the other 13 teams deserves to be in the Top 25, much less in a premiere bowl game.

SEC Bowl Eligible Teams - 11: Alabama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Arkansas, South Carolina, Vanderbilt

AMERICAN

EAST
pre:
Temple (7-1, 10-3)           CHAMPS!
South Florida (7-1, 10-2)    BOWL
UCF (4-4, 6-6)               BOWL
Cincinnati (1-7, 4-8)        DONE
UConn (1-6, 3-9)             DONE
East Carolina (1-7, 3-9)     DONE
WEST
pre:
Navy (7-1, 9-3)        ARMY    (7-1, 10-3)
Tulsa (6-2, 9-3)       BOWL
Houston (5-3, 9-3)     BOWL
Memphis (5-3, 8-4)     BOWL
SMU (3-5, 5-7)         APR
Tulane (1-7, 4-8)      DONE
Temple houses Navy, which ends any hopes for the committee dragging out the suspense of the Cotton Bowl bid for another week. Middies are locked into the Armed Forces bowl, but they've got more important business to attend to first...

American Bowl Eligible Teams - 7: Temple, Navy, South Florida, Tulsa, Houston, Memphis, UCF

C-USA

EAST
pre:
Western Kentucky (7-1, 10-3)  CHAMPS!
Old Dominion (7-1, 9-3)       BOWL
Middle Tennessee (5-3, 8-4)   BOWL
FIU (4-4, 4-8)                DONE
Charlotte (3-5, 4-8)          DONE
Marshall (2-6, 3-9)           DONE
FAU (2-6, 3-9)                DONE
WEST
pre:
Louisiana Tech (6-2, 8-5)   BOWL
UTSA (5-3, 6-6)             BOWL
Southern Miss (4-4, 6-6)    BOWL
North Texas (3-5, 5-7)      APR
UTEP (2-6, 4-8)             DONE
Rice (2-6, 3-9)             DONE
WKU, who just scored again btw, wins C-USA for the second straight year and is off to wherever they want, probably without their coach though. 6 officially in for the conference, but with UNT the first off the APR pile, make it 7.

C-USA Bowl Eligible Teams - 6: Western Kentucky, Old Dominion, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, UTSA, Southern Miss

INDEPENDENTS

pre:
BYU (8-4)     BOWL
Army (6-5)    NAVY         (6-6)
UMass (2-10)  DONE
Notre Dame was 4-8 in 2016.

Independent Bowl Eligible Teams - 2: BYU, Army

MAC

EAST
pre:
Ohio (6-2, 8-5)            BOWL
Miami Ohio (6-2, 6-6)      BOWL!
Akron (3-5, 5-7)           APR
Bowling Green (3-5, 4-8)   DONE
Kent State (2-6, 3-9)      DONE
Buffalo (1-7, 2-10)        DONE
WEST
pre:
Western Michigan (8-0, 13-0)   CHAMPS!
Toledo (6-2, 9-3)              BOWL
Northern Illinois (5-3, 5-7)   APR
Eastern Michigan (4-4, 7-5)    BOWL
Central Michigan (3-5, 6-6)    BOWL
Ball State (1-7, 4-8)          DONE
The Boat has been Rowed. No reason for WMU to not head the Arlington for the Cotton, and the question is whether PJ Fleck will be allowed to finish the job he started.

MAC Bowl Eligible Teams - 6: Western Michigan, Toledo, Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Miami Ohio, Central Michigan

MOUNTAIN WEST

MOUNTAIN
pre:
Wyoming (6-2, 8-5)          BOWL
Boise State (6-2, 10-2)     BOWL
New Mexico (6-2, 8-4)       BOWL
Air Force (5-3, 9-3)        BOWL
Colorado State (5-3, 7-5)   BOWL
Utah State (1-7, 3-9)       DONE
WEST
pre:
San Diego State (6-2, 10-3)  CHAMPS!
Hawai'i (4-4, 6-7)           BOWL
Nevada (3-5, 5-7)            APR
San Jose State (3-5, 4-8)    DONE
UNLV (3-5, 4-8)              DONE
Fresno State (0-8, 1-11)     DONE
Back to back for the Aztecs and off to Vegas.

MWC Projected Bowl Eligible Teams - 7: San Diego State, Boise State, Wyoming, New Mexico, Air Force, Colorado State, Hawai'i

SUN BELT

pre:
App State (7-1, 9-3)             CHAMPS!
Arkansas State (7-1, 7-5)        CHAMPS!
Troy (6-2, 9-3)                  BOWL
Idaho (6-2, 8-4)                 BOWL
Louisiana-Lafayette (5-3, 6-6)   BOWL
Georgia Southern (4-4, 5-7)      APR
Louisiana-Monroe (3-5, 4-8)      DONE
South Alabama (2-6, 6-6)         BOWL
Georgia State (2-6, 3-9)         DONE
New Mexico State (2-6, 3-9)      DONE
Texas State (0-8, 2-10)          DONE
App and Arky State split the Fun Belt title, partly because they never met. ULL and South Alabama officially get in on the last day, putting us at 78 and closing the door on the dreams of the APR pool.

Sun Belt Bowl Eligible Teams - 6: Arkansas State, Troy, App State, Idaho, Louisiana-Lafayette, South Alabama

Current Bowl Eligible Teams: 78

College Football Playoff

So we've got five teams for four spots, down from seven. Wisconsin lost and took a third L, so they're out. I don't buy Michigan's H2H argument considering they're third in the B1G East and we're not putting 2-3 in a division in over the division/conference champ, so they're out. Let's break down the other five:

Alabama (8-0, 13-0) - BEST WINS: 9/3 vs. #20 USC, 9/17 @ #19 Ole Miss, 10/8 @ #16 Arkansas, 10/15 @ #9 Tennessee, 10/22 vs. #6 Texas A&M, 11/5 @ #13 LSU, 11/26 vs. #13 Auburn, 12/3 vs. #15 Florida; 8 wins over then-ranked teams (5 ranked in last poll). As much as I'd love to keep them out and send the entire south into nuclear hellfire, I can't. They ran the table, they beat the most ranked teams even if said ranked teams had no business being ranked, and if they play up to their potential it's hard to think of who can stop them. They're not invincible; they weren't tested in conference play because their conference sucks, they have a freshman QB who might crack under pressure, the D has taken personnel losses and might run into depth issues, and we've seen that they've had issues with mobile QBs. If they run into said team, and there's a couple of them in this pool, they might take not just an L but a humiliating L, which would be just desserts for the SEC this year. But until they take said L, they're #1 until someone takes it from them.

Ohio State (8-1, 11-1) - BEST WINS: 9/17 @ #14 Oklahoma, 10/15 @ #8 Wisconsin, 11/5 vs. #10 Nebraska, 11/26 vs. #3 Michigan; 4 wins over then-ranked teams (4 ranked in last poll); -LOSS: 10/22 @ Penn State. Three wins over top 10 teams, two of which on the road. The sole loss was a last second FG to the eventual conference champs. A top 10 offense and defense. Ohio State has everything you want for a playoff team except for the conference championship, and we're going to see how much the committee values said title. They've been a playoff team just about from the jump, and coming into championship week at #2 seems to imply that they're in. But the committee has been willing to dump teams out through no fault of their own on the final week before, ain't that right TCU, and so a fall from 2 and in to 5 and out isn't completely unfathomable, and sends the message that if you can't win your conference, you can't compete for a national title. On merit, the Buckeyes are in. But merit ain't enough here.

Clemson (7-1, 12-1) - BEST WINS: 9/3 @ Auburn, 10/1 vs. #3 Louisville, 10/29 @ #12 FSU, 12/3 vs. #19 Virginia Tech; 3 wins over then-ranked teams (3 ranked in last poll); -LOSS: 11/12 vs. Pitt. When clicking on all cylinders Clemson might be unstoppable. They can score seemingly at will, make plays on D, and have a gamebreaker at QB. Yet they've shown issues getting their heads in the game at time and almost ran a 2014 FSU emulation at times; doing just enough to win and flirting with disaster in the process. That ended up coming back to bite the Noles in the Rose Bowl semis, and it might come home to roost for the Tigers in their playoff game. The ACC tied for the most bowl-teams this season, so you can't say that they didn't play solid competition. The seed might be up in the air, but I think they're safely in. But it's not my decision.

Washington (8-1, 12-1) - BEST WINS: 9/30 vs. #7 Stanford, 10/29 @ #17 Utah, 11/25 @ #23 Washington State, 12/2 vs. #8 Colorado; 4 wins over then-ranked teams (2 ranked in last poll); -LOSS: 11/12 vs. #20 USC. Washington suffers from Bama-lite problems. They're a good team, but the Pac-12 didn't live up to the measure this season, mostly because the two standard-bearers (Stanford/Oregon) took it on the chin this year. The Huskies didn't play an inspiring non-con, only had two Top 25 wins until the last two weeks of the season, and struggled to win at 2-10 Arizona. Yes, they creamed Stanford and Oregon, but Stanford took a clear step back this year while Oregon, well yeah. You can even make an argument that Washington isn't the best team in the Pac, as they lost to USC once the Trojans got their poo poo together. UW has more Top 10/25 wins then Clemson, although said teams aren't there now, and is the only hope for the committee making this a true nation-wide playoff instead of only having teams east of the Mississippi. But whether that's enough is unknown, and it just might not be.

Penn State (6-2, 11-2) - -BEST WINS: 10/23 vs. #2 Ohio State, 12/3 vs. #6 Wisconsin; -2 win over then-ranked team (2 ranked in last poll); LOSSES: 9/10 @ Pitt, 9/24 @ Michigan. It's easy to leave the Nittany Lions out. They have just two Top 25 wins, have two losses on the season (one more than the other competitors), and the teams they ran though weren't the most inspiring. But they beat as many Top 10 teams as Bama and Washington, were the only team to beat Ohio State, and took care of business once they ran the table after September. They won the unquestioned best conference in the country this season, and that has to stand for something. Had Ohio State not gone 11-1 and gotten the win at Oklahoma (and if they didn't have the name-brand to go along with it), there wouldn't be a question; change Ohio State to Iowa and it's no contest. Penn State had to come the farthest from when the initial rankings were released, but they completed the journey, and unlike Iowa last season, PSU finished the job. The season's a success regardless of the committee's decision, but it's hard to see a Rose Bowl berth as a win when something greater was just out of reach.

That being said, I come up with this:

pre:
Peach Bowl    Dec. 31   Atlanta, Ga.		#1 Alabama (SEC Champ) vs. #4 Washington (Pac-12 Champ)
Fiesta Bowl   Dec. 31   Glendale, Ariz.		#2 Clemson (ACC Champ) vs. #3 Ohio State (At-Large)
Bama's unquestioned. Clemson jumps idle Ohio State and goes to 2, which does nothing but change the laundry. In the end between Washington and Penn State, I value Washington's consistent excellence over Penn State's late-season surge. Washington's loss is better than Penn State's two, which was Pitt (and yes Pitt beats two Playoff teams welcome to 2016) and a Michigan blowout. It means the Big Ten sends a team but not the conference champ, and that opens up everything going forward, as opposed to leaving the Buckeyes out and cementing the notion that only conference champs get in. It means we're yet to have a conference send two teams, which keeps the big boys from whining and getting the ball rolling on expanding the Playoff to eight. It keeps the status quo going for another year, which might be the committee's goal all along.

New Year's Bowls
pre:
Sugar Bowl    Jan. 2   	New Orleans, La.   Big 12 vs SEC	    Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ) vs. Auburn (SEC Rep)
Rose Bowl     Jan. 2   	Pasadena, Calif.   Big Ten vs Pac-12	    Penn State (Big Ten Champ) vs. USC (Pac-12 Champ)
Cotton Bowl   Jan. 2   	Arlington, Tex.    Group of 5 vs. At-large  Western Michigan (Group of 5 Rep) vs. Wisconsin (At-Large)
Orange Bowl   Dec. 30   Miami, Fla.	   ACC vs. Big Ten/SEC/ND   Florida State (ACC Rep) vs. Michigan (Big Ten Rep)
The two champs who aren't in, Oklahoma and Penn State, head to the Sugar and Rose respectively. Auburn is still the best of the SEC shitheap and we'll see if they have the firepower to hang with a Big 12 team. USC ends up jumping Colorado due to a H2H win, a stronger closing stretch, and that they're USC. Florida State remains above Louisville and heads to the Orange, where they draw Michigan. Western Michigan rows down to the Cotton, where they get a Wisconsin team looking to make up that one yard they didn't get against Penn State. The only curveball here might be if Bama creaming Florida hangs badly enough on the Noles that Louisville ends up jumping them, since I don't think the Hokes' strong effort lets them jump both FSU/Louisville. Wisconsin would be the only other one in trouble if they fell behind Colorado, but the Buffs loss was worse than the Badgers and no one else did enough to jump above.

And the rest:

pre:
Outback Bowl	        Jan. 2	  Tampa, Fla.	         B1G vs. SEC        	Nebraska vs. Florida
TaxSlayer Bowl	        Dec. 31   Jacksonville, Fla.	 ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Pitt vs. Kentucky
Citrus Bowl	        Dec. 31	  Orlando, Fla.	         ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Virginia Tech vs. LSU
Arizona Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Tucson, Ariz.	         CUSA vs. MWC       	Southern Miss vs. Air Force
Music City Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Nashville, Tenn.	 ACC/B1G vs. SEC    	Minnesota vs. Tennessee
Sun Bowl	        Dec. 30	  El Paso, Tex.	         ACC vs. P12        	Georgia Tech vs. Utah
Liberty Bowl	        Dec. 30	  Memphis, Tenn.	 B12 vs. SEC        	TCU vs. Georgia
Alamo Bowl	        Dec. 29	  San Antonio, Tex.	 B12 vs. P12        	West Virginia vs. Colorado
Belk Bowl	        Dec. 29	  Charlotte, N.C.	 ACC vs. SEC        	Miami vs. South Carolina
Birmingham Bowl	        Dec. 29	  Birmingham, Ala.	 AAC vs. SEC            South Florida vs. Vanderbilt
Texas Bowl	        Dec. 28	  Houston, Tex.	         B12 vs. SEC        	Kansas State vs. Texas A&M
Foster Farms Bowl	Dec. 28	  Santa Clara, Calif.	 B1G vs. P12        	Indiana vs. Stanford
Russell Athletic Bowl	Dec. 28	  Orlando, Fla.	         ACC vs. B12        	Louisville vs. Oklahoma State
Pinstripe Bowl	        Dec. 28	  New York, N.Y.	 ACC vs. B1G        	North Carolina vs. Northwestern
Cactus Bowl	        Dec. 27	  Tempe, Ariz.	         B12 vs. P12            Baylor vs. Idaho
Holiday Bowl	        Dec. 27	  San Diego, Calif.	 B1G vs. P12        	Iowa vs. Washington State
Military Bowl	        Dec. 27	  Annapolis, Md.	 ACC vs. AAC         	Wake Forest vs. Memphis
Heart of Dallas Bowl	Dec. 27	  Dallas, Tex.	         B1G vs. CUSA           North Texas* vs. Louisiana Tech
Independence Bowl	Dec. 26	  Shreveport, La.	 SEC vs. ACC            Arkansas vs. NC State
Quick Lane Bowl	        Dec. 26	  Detroit, Mich.	 ACC vs. B1G            Boston College vs. Maryland
St. Petersburg Bowl	Dec. 26	  St. Petersburg, Fla.   AAC vs ACC         	Temple vs. South Alabama
Hawai'i Bowl	        Dec. 24	  Honolulu, Hawaii	 CUSA vs. MWC      	UTSA vs. Hawai'i
Dollar General Bowl	Dec. 23	  Mobile, Ala.	         MAC vs. SB	        Toledo vs. App State
Armed Forces Bowl	Dec. 23	  Fort Worth, Tex.	 B12 vs. Navy           Mississippi State* vs. Navy
Bahamas Bowl	        Dec. 23	  Nassau, Bahamas	 CUSA vs. MAC           Old Dominion vs. Eastern Michigan      
Idaho Potato Bowl	Dec. 22	  Boise, Idaho	         MAC vs. MWC            Central Michigan vs. Wyoming
Poinsettia Bowl	        Dec. 21	  San Diego, Calif.	 MWC vs. BYU       	Boise State vs. BYU
Boca Raton Bowl	        Dec. 20	  Boca Raton, Fla.	 AAC vs. CUSA           Houston vs. Western Kentucky
Miami Beach Bowl	Dec. 19	  Miami, Fla.	         AAC vs. MAC            Tulsa vs. Ohio
New Orleans Bowl	Dec. 17	  New Orleans, La.	 MWC vs. SB             Colorado State vs. Arkansas State
Cure Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Orlando, Fla.	         AAC vs. SB             UCF vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
Camellia Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Montgomery, Ala.	 MAC vs. SB             Miami Ohio vs. Troy
Las Vegas Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Las Vegas, Nev.	 MWC vs. P12            San Diego State vs. Army
New Mexico Bowl	        Dec. 17	  Albuquerque, N.M.	 CUSA vs. MWC           Middle Tennessee vs. New Mexico
We only need to dip twice into the APR pool, so North Texas and Mississippi State are the "smart" teams.

As much as I'd like to say this'll be the final pool it won't be, since bowls are free to make deals and ignore their own guidelines. There's a lot of chatter right now but other than a couple of side bowls, nothing official will happen until the Playoff is revealed and we see who's in and what the NY6 looks like. After that the dam will break and we should know everyone by the time SNF starts.

Once more, it's been a pleasure. Let's do this again next year, shall we?

e - GODDAMMIT THIS WAS WRONG BEFORE I EVEN HIT PUBLISH POST gently caress YOU COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGS

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Houston starts the season as Group of 5 frontrunner, ends it in the Las Vegas Bowl. No wonder Herman bailed early.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

oh man

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

Everything I've read says Nebraska would go to the Music City Bowl if the Outback takes someone else.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

How is that even possible?

e: Wait, it's obvious. The casinos hold all the cards in Vegas, and the Fertitta family has casinos. ESPN gets a solid G5 bowl, and the casinos get their man.

gently caress it, free comps for all Coogs at the Golden Nugget!

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 4, 2016

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Benne posted:

Houston starts the season as Group of 5 frontrunner, ends it in the Las Vegas Bowl. No wonder Herman bailed early.

That kinda seems like a chicken or egg situation to me what with all the rumors swirling around Herman from mid-season on

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Temple in the St. Pete Bowl lmao

:(

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

Everything I've read says Nebraska would go to the Music City Bowl if the Outback takes someone else.

Yeah I know. They can't go to the Holiday because they've been too often recently or something, so Minnesota would jump them. Somehow that rule does not prevent Iowa from going to its fifth Outback Bowl since 2003. but iowa's AD is campaigning hard for Tampa, which makes sense because it is the Kirk Ferentz of Bowl destitinations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Army made a bowl game despite needing two FCS wins to get to 6-5. Also their game against North Texas in the Heart of Dallas will probably be the worst one.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Sounds like these three are all but official

Outback: Iowa vs. Florida (again)
Music City: Nebraska vs. Tennessee (sure, fine)
Holiday: Minnesota vs. Wazzu (oh my god that will be ugly)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oklahoma State/Colorado in the Alamo Bowl looks like a real good game.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Georgia/TCU in the Liberty Bowl

I'm writing this one up tonight because the venue by itself is such dogshit it defies logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Miami WVU in the Russell athletic bowl.

• Locked thread