Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I have discovered there are a load of official mods including big storage tanks for seeds/fertilizer.

http://farming-simulator.com/mod.php?lang=en&country=us&mod_id=52699&title=fs2017

Now to work out how to put them on a rented server...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Server is throwing this error when it tries to start

code:
data/firstPerson/chainsaws/husqvarna/husqvarna550.i3d (206.82) ms
Warning: Handtool 'data/firstPerson/chainsaws/husqvarna/husqvarna550.xml' could not be loaded!
Tater_Salad joined the game
Warning: Handtool 'data/firstPerson/chainsaws/husqvarna/husqvarna550.xml' could not be loaded!
Validity check failed in TransformGroup_setDirection: Direction is zero 
  ..\..\..\src\engine\app\ReflectionAndScriptBinding.cpp (3460): direction.calcMagnitudeSquared() > 0.00000001f
LUA call stack:
  =dataS/scripts/effects/ShaderPlaneEffect.lua (0) : printCallstack
  =dataS/scripts/effects/EffectManager.lua (0) : update
  =dataS/scripts/FSBaseMission.lua (0) : update
  =dataS/scripts/missions/mission00.lua (0) : update
  =dataS/scripts/main.lua (0) : update
Validity check failed in TransformGroup_setDirection: Direction is zero 
  ..\..\..\src\engine\app\ReflectionAndScriptBinding.cpp (3460): direction.calcMagnitudeSquared() > 0.00000001f
LUA call stack:
  =dataS/scripts/effects/ShaderPlaneEffect.lua (0) : printCallstack
  =dataS/scripts/effects/EffectManager.lua (0) : update
  =dataS/scripts/FSBaseMission.lua (0) : update
  =dataS/scripts/missions/mission00.lua (0) : update
  =dataS/scripts/main.lua (0) : update
dataS2/character/pedestrians/man05.i3d (8.18) ms
dataS2/character/pedestrians/woman03.i3d (120.60) ms
dataS2/character/pedestrians/woman01.i3d (7.68) ms
Any ideas? Looks like something happened after Tater joined, what did you do Tater!

Tater is reporting it's up though, strange.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 30, 2016

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Those appear to be just warnings, they're not severe to prevent the server from being started.

I think I may be able to join you guys tomorrow. Add me on Steam if you'd like: http://steamcommunity.com/id/generaux/

nielsm posted:

The main "training wheels" simulation is Royston, it's stupid simple, has just one small station. It also happens to become really boring since barely anything happens :)
But it's fine for getting a hang of the controls I'd say.

The ones I've played the most are Bristol and Exeter, and Central Scotland while it was a free download. Also a bunch others, but at least those three are quite straight-forward.
Bristol will have you juggling manual level crossings quite a bit. Exeter has several tricky train routes, where if you set a route for a train wrong, it will be really difficult to get it back on the right track (literally). But neither has any lever frames or other extra complicated mechanisms, at least not any you'll have to operate with any regularity.

I'll give those a shot, thanks.

nielsm posted:

Another railway signaling simulator is the German StellwerkSim. Two things go against this one, one is it's only available in German, the other is that it requires Java in the browser. Other than that it can (at times) feel rather "casual mode" ;) Typically the first hour of playing an area everything will be mostly smooth running, some late and a few early trains, but nothing but. After one hour of playing, you'll begin getting masses of trackside equipment failures to route around.
StellwerkSim only runs at realtime speed, no pause option. It's designed to be played networked and that's the "standard" mode where you're also expected to communicate with players on the neighboring areas, but they do have an offline mode.
The impressive part is that they have modeled almost the entire German railway network, as well as parts of neighboring countries, and they naturally run with timetables based in reality.
I think I may have run into this and thought it was some sort of browser-based MMO. Having to talk to other players in German might be a bit too difficult for me, but the sheer size of this simulation is pretty neat. There's some Dutch lines too, they even have the one that passes through my village.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah server appears to be running along smoothly.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

An effective way to help a low horsepower tractor with too many implements is to use the buddy system. This is called drafting (or docking)

Also SHODAN what did you do!?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How do you figure out which equipment fits onto which equipment? I just accidentally dumped my first grain harvest into the ground next to where I was supposed to dump it and it is all just sitting there and nothing with a shovel fits the starting tractor as far as I can tell and I guess I need to reload a spot an hour earlier? :(

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

How do you figure out which equipment fits onto which equipment? I just accidentally dumped my first grain harvest into the ground next to where I was supposed to dump it and it is all just sitting there and nothing with a shovel fits the starting tractor as far as I can tell and I guess I need to reload a spot an hour earlier? :(

Some tractors can be fitted with a front end loader attachment. Your starting blue tractor can be. Drive it to the store, park it off to the left in the little hashed out area and modify it. Then buy a front loader and a bucket for it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh ok I didn't know what that area was for, thanks

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I wish levelers could be toggled off so you could drive around without them pushing ALL the time

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

All the pedestrians in FS17 are zombies today.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
My new farm is overgrown with grass and weeds and the tractor mower leaves the grass clippings behind. Is there a bagger mower hidden in the store I'm not seeing? Or is there a leaf blower or something I can use to pick this stuff up?

I'm the disgrace of the neighborhood and it's ruining my immersion.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

My new farm is overgrown with grass and weeds and the tractor mower leaves the grass clippings behind. Is there a bagger mower hidden in the store I'm not seeing? Or is there a leaf blower or something I can use to pick this stuff up?

I'm the disgrace of the neighborhood and it's ruining my immersion.

you need a forage wagon to pick up the grass then you can either turn it into sileage, or possibly sell in the barn.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

tater_salad posted:

you need a forage wagon to pick up the grass then you can either turn it into sileage, or possibly sell in the barn.

I can't maneuver a forage wagon around my farm house. :(

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Abandon your puny single player farm and join us in Valhalla.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

the only correct answer

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

I sperg ... alone ...

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Well I spent yesterday constructing a car in Finland , pissing on everything including myself. It's a fun game but it really needs a little mini manual about putting bits together. For instance you can't put in the drive train unless you leave the disc brake unbolted but on , which is the opposite of everything else on the car

Did I miss anything exciting ? Are we all virtual billionaire farmers now ?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Saw this today:

All I could think was what a small cultivator he had and how inefficient it looked.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

What is that a 3490 ugh in green ? How 90s of him

Where is our resident train / farming equipment nerd to fill in the details ?

Kilo come onnnn

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Elendil004 posted:

Saw this today:

All I could think was what a small cultivator he had and how inefficient it looked.

Sweet textures though

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Some shots from tonight's farming adventures.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Farming was good tonight

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Older Farm Sim question: anyone know if an old FS13 map called Idaho was ever ported to FS15? That was easily my favorite map.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Older Farm Sim question: anyone know if an old FS13 map called Idaho was ever ported to FS15? That was easily my favorite map.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=farming+simulator+15+idaho+map

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Should have phrased that better. I knew one existed last I checked, but it was a really barebones partially working duct taped crashy mess. I was wondering if anyone played a relatively stable version.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Should have phrased that better. I knew one existed last I checked, but it was a really barebones partially working duct taped crashy mess. I was wondering if anyone played a relatively stable version.

From what I can tell the Idaho map requires other mods to work but they guy that "converted" it from FS13 to 15 never told people which mods are needed.
Check the comments here: http://www.modhub.us/farming-simulator-2015-mods/idaho-usa-smg-mf-map-v1-0/ Seems you need this mod https://mod-portal.com/forum/filebase/index.php/Entry/555-Map-Buyable-Object-V3-2/

Buuuuut the comments also said that there are still lots of bugs with collision meshes and such so I think the short answer to your question is, no, there is no good Idaho map for FS15 unfortunately.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011
I did some yield testing for FS17. :eyepop: Sugar beets are insane now. Corn is actually worth harvesting instead of only being useful for silage. Also straw yields are more than double what they were in FS15.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Enzenx posted:

I did some yield testing for FS17. :eyepop: Sugar beets are insane now. Corn is actually worth harvesting instead of only being useful for silage. Also straw yields are more than double what they were in FS15.

A guy on reddit did a very thorough test of the yield and profit of 1ha and it goes: sugar beets, potatoes, sunflowers, soybeans, canola.
You can read how he did it, and a link to the spreadsheet, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/farmingsimulator/comments/5aldgw/research_1_how_much_do_you_earn_per_ha/
Edit: Btw you might have noticed they forgot to make the cost of sugar beet seeds higher, that's why they are insane right now. Get in while it's hot!

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 3, 2016

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

A guy on reddit did a very thorough test of the yield and profit of 1ha and it goes: sugar beets, potatoes, sunflowers, soybeans, canola.
You can read how he did it, and a link to the spreadsheet, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/farmingsimulator/comments/5aldgw/research_1_how_much_do_you_earn_per_ha/
Edit: Btw you might have noticed they forgot to make the cost of sugar beet seeds higher, that's why they are insane right now. Get in while it's hot!

I was more specifically talking about the yield with sugar beets. In FS15 they yielded ~70k L/ha. They have never had high seed costs though. Potatoes have a high seed cost because a "potato seed" is a potato which is obviously much larger than a tiny seed even though it sucks them down all the same. As I noted though, that cost only matters for the first planting, after that harvest you pay nothing for seeds because you just siphon off some of the harvest to replant the field.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
HOT REALISM TIP: If you're aiming to cash in on the sugar beets, start by pissing in a Mountain Dew bottle and letting it fester next to a space heater under your desk for a week or three. When beet harvest comes you'll have yourself some XXXTREME OLFACTORY IMMERSION!

(I watched a video about sugar beet farming once, and apparently they make your farm smell like some kind of port-o-potty from hell. Something about the high sugar content and sugars breaking down and whatnot?)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

HOT REALISM TIP: If you're aiming to cash in on the sugar beets, start by pissing in a Mountain Dew bottle and letting it fester next to a space heater under your desk for a week or three. When beet harvest comes you'll have yourself some XXXTREME OLFACTORY IMMERSION!

(I watched a video about sugar beet farming once, and apparently they make your farm smell like some kind of port-o-potty from hell. Something about the high sugar content and sugars breaking down and whatnot?)

You're assuming I don't already have multiple piss-jugs under my desk

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Haven't been able to get on in a day or so, how goes the farm?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Haven't been able to get on in a day or so, how goes the farm?

I haven't' joined since Friday night, life and all. Depending on what direction my day takes I may be on in the evening EST, but possibly not.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 6, 2016

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Yeah I was gonna join last week but then poo poo happened.

I actually found some time to check out the game in the meantime, really liking all the small user interface improvements, especially with regards to the map.

The train thing seems a bit gimmicky (no switches, no coupling and uncoupling), but who knows what modders can come up with. An old-school farm with a Feldbahn would be cool. Also why is the train Norwegian when the map's set in the US? My immersion! :arghfist: :spergin:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

New farming theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db1WhlNKq50

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

oh look, a game I bought over a year ago is finally on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/493490/

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Hooo boy, SimSig. The manual is a graveyard of dead links but I already lost a few hours to it. This is the boring compulsive train shuffler I've waited my whole life to play. I'm glad I found this thread.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Hooo boy, SimSig. The manual is a graveyard of dead links but I already lost a few hours to it. This is the boring compulsive train shuffler I've waited my whole life to play. I'm glad I found this thread.

Just once, I want to try the ultimate Nerd experience of getting 8 players or so to run a box, or even a pair of connected boxes, for a full 25 hours, in realtime, with no pausing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nielsm posted:

Just once, I want to try the ultimate Nerd experience of getting 8 players or so to run a box, or even a pair of connected boxes, for a full 25 hours, in realtime, with no pausing.

I would love to do an hour with two players at double speed, as a new Dad that's the best I can hope for. Not that you'd want me on the team, after learning Royston I downloaded Lime St and spent a game hour giving up on trains and piling them up in the neck because I couldn't figure out what they wanted and oh God everyone is yelling at me about red lights and shunts.

Edit: Everything's fine here, call back in fifteen minutes, thanks, IT'S FINE

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 7, 2016