Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Rose Bowl had some sort of curse over it that destroyed everyone involved.

That said Iowa won a big bronze pig today, so it was a good day. Eat poo poo, Gophers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dphi posted:

Duck fan here, at least we're not Rutgers?

This is true, they kept it way closer against Washington than y'all did

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

D.N. Nation posted:

What's good, national CFB writers? Still think Richt has 2016 UGA headed to the playoffs?

no one ever thought this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chichevache posted:

Who closed the GDT? Charlotte @ Florida Atlantic is still going. :qq:

There

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

should those of us who will woefully watch the UGA / SCar game post there or here or just suck it up and make pretend our teams aren't playing, because what you might watch could only loosely be defined as football

I would not recommend watching a rock fight between nick saban's idiot children but this is America and if you want to post about it in the gdt that is your right

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am rooting so hard for him to win that case.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

Hey so for some reason Texas fans are talking about Tom Herman a lot lately and I've seen it claimed a couple times that ISU fans were less than thrilled with him as OC. What say you, Thoguh, bullshit or troof?

Not an ISU fan obviously, but they definitely poo poo on him after he left for the OSU job and laughed at Meyer for hiring him. I think everything he did before and after ISU shows pretty definitively that his performance there says a lot more about ISU than it does about Herman

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ah yes, the incredible talent advantages at Rice.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 10, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

ISU sucks the talent out of everybody not named Troy Davis

Herman also probably learned a few things from Urbz

Why did Davis never make it in the NFL?

He did. He got drafted by the Saints, he just wasn't very good. He was a great college back but he wasn't an amazing physical talent. He was on the smaller side and didn't have amazing speed. Lots of great college players have disappointing pro careers. He was good in the CFL

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Michigan isn't just winning, they are destroying everyone they play. That's what good teams do and it's impressive regardless of the schedule. No one loves making GBS threads on Rutgers more than I do, but beating ANYONE that throughly is really hard to do. They weren't even really trying to run it up after halftime either. They had all backups in and did nothing but run the ball and Rutgers couldn't move the ball or do anything to stop them

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

TV advertising rates are a bit of a weird deal. BTN needed primarily to show advertisers that they had access to a shitload of TVs. Getting the NYC market with Rutgers and DC market with Maryland accomplished that, even if neither is any real college sports market.

In the long run, this may not work so well for them if nobody tunes in (and more people cut the cord) but I believe in the near term it will soon mean $25 millionE:Holy poo poo I underestimated this, it's $47 million, to each school per year, which is more than worth it to add 2 poo poo teams.

E: This breaks it down a lot better than I can

Yeah it was more about getting subscription fees. They wanted to get the network on lower tier cable packages in New York, even if no one actually cares or watches (although maybe they do! There are lots of folks in New York. I have no idea)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 10, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

Leach brought the spread (Air Raid) to the Big XII in the year 2000. OU used it to win a national title the next year. Tech became the first pure Air Raid team in the Big XII in 2001.

Missouri, OSU, Baylor (under Guy Morris), Kansas (under Mangino), A&M (under Fran), and UT with Vince Young all ran variations of a spread offense. Missouri, A&M, OSU, and UT were read-option based. Tech, OU, Kansas and Baylor were air-raid based. This all happened in 2002-2008.

Nebraska ran an option based attack until they switched to pro-style late in their Big XII tenure. Colorado was mostly pro-style. Iowa State had Seneca Wallace running a read option(?), but I'm not sure what their offensive identity was. Kansas State is the only one still running a power option.

At this stage 100% of those teams are some variation of a spread offense, plus the two new teams TCU and WVU. Except Kansas State because God Bless Bill Snyder.

It really shows a lack of historical context on his part. It's not like this was happening in a vacuum.

ps: OSU and TTU are very similar historically, with OSU having slightly higher peaks and slightly lower lows.

ISU did some option stuff with Wallace (though it was more like the old school Nebraska option than read option) but it was still by a large a pro-style very run heavy attack, even with him there. Most of his really big plays were scrambles rather than designed runs, and he ran a lot less than you probably remember. He never cracked 500 yards in a season

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa celebrated winning a big rear end pig in the only appropriate way

https://twitter.com/mthelle/status/785990998178410496

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He has an endorsement deal with a milk company, I think

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Regular milk is gross as gently caress

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

You're all adult mammals and shouldn't be drinking milk anyway :smug:

I agree with Spencer Hall. Floyd of Rosedale should be a real pig.

It was the first time! I agree, although sprinting to the sidelines to carry off a live pig would be very awkward

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

It's a dude who grew up with Mohicans, the last of them you know (I think that actually predates its use in Iowa and where they took the name from). Other than that it's just an Iowa thing, Hawkeye state and all.

e: Apparently the highest place in Iowa is named Hawkeye Point.

Yeah the book predates the state.

"Hawkeyes" was a nickname for early settlers of the state, kinda like Hoosier for people in Indiana. I guess because they were rugged frontiersmen like the guy in the book or something, idk. Anyway people called the state "The Hawkeye State" as a result and the school's nickname came from that. To the best of my knowledge we did not keep a live 19th century woodsman in a cage on campus at any point, to our great detriment.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

George H.W. oval office posted:

When is Spurrier and Mack gonna join forces and become the best announcing crew?

Spurdawg can't compete with the knowledge of Mr. Football and doesn't want to get shown up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Every year someone is guaranteed to make at least $4 million to finish last in the SEC West

Dan Mullen is a really good coach though, it'll be funny if he somehow winds up on the hot seat because Mississippi State decides a bad season doesn't live up to their lofty standards

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 13, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
IU had Tevin Coleman, who should have been a Heisman contender, and Howard back to back, which is pretty hard for a school like IU to keep going. They also lost some really good linemen and a good QB (even last year there was a noticeable drop off when Sudfeld got hurt, although they somehow still nearly beat OSU because CHAOS TEAM). The offense falling off a cliff is pretty easy to explain although I kinda still thought it might be good going into the year just because of Kevin Wilson. I have no idea how the defense suddenly became above average after years of being trash

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

big money big clit posted:

I mean it's early days and they haven't played the toughest schedule, but LSU is currently ahead of A&M in both total defense and scoring defense. Aranda is no slouch. It's not like LSU's last year and a half would have looked much different with Chavis.

It worked out fine for LSU because they could throw a lot of money at another great DC but the point stands that Chavis is a great DC who has now caught unnecessary poo poo from two different SEC fanbases

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Hot Takes this generated were loving horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

big juicy nectarine posted:

Fire David Beaty and replace him with... gently caress if I know.

Just... a loving worthless trash program.

I am curious what good you think that would do

• Locked thread